I'm in an Anime? (To Aru Majutsu no Index)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Aleister Crowley
Redshirt

I'm in an Anime? (To Aru Majutsu no Index)

Post by Aleister Crowley »

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

I found an interesting anime. Yeah. It's a bit of Japanese animation, but what intrigues me isn't that. It's the plot. Oh and the fact that I'm in it. Or I should say a character with my name is in it. I want to do an in depth discussion on this, but I'm going to have to do a lot of work to make it worthwhile. Anyway, this whole thing is probably going to be full of spelling mistakes and errors in general. Not my best work. I guess that's why I'm posting the first try in Testing. Goes to show what confidence I have.

To Aru Majutsu no Index is Japanese for "Some Kind of Magical Index Liborum Prohibitum" and the title isn't the only thing that is a bit weird about it. The plot is. The beginning throws you into it without much world building or explanation. I don't want to spoil it in any major way, so I'll let that be the most I say about the plot. It's very different though. What made me want to make a thread on this however is something quite simple. Maybe a bit of narcissism on my part. In the anime there is a rather bishounen looking man named...Aleister Crowley. Yep. Though in this anime it seems they made me not only very bishounen, but also a complete materialist. Though one has to ask why I'm floating upside down in a tank of orange fluid.

Image upload jpg
I'd do me LOL.
Spoiler
I'm not the main character. This high school age boy named Kamijou Touma is. He apparently has very bad luck. Also meets the title character and goes on a wacky adventure with her. Hijjinks ensue. The world of this anime is quite simple to describe in a few short sentences. It's a city of schools and full of people with different levels of psychic power. I wish I had the money to make a whole city...but that's not the point. The point is that the show is mildly out there, but still rather normal for an anime show. Then there's the magic aspect. Let's just say in this world magic is real and the character named after Yours Truly is no believer in it. Oh and the fact that they made him look the way they did. Seriously. I'll probably have to rewatch some of the episodes to get ideas for what to write here. If and when I do, I'll add to this and give it some polish. I know you guys would enjoy a breakdown. At least I hope so.
The next time I make a thread on this it'll probably be in the Fantasy section, since the show has a lot of elements of fantasy such as magic. Oh and psychic powers. To be continued...

FUKOU DAAAAAAAAA~!

Love is the law, love under will.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Re: I'm in an Anime? (To Aru Majutsu no Index)

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

as an admire of all Bishonen I am intrigued to know more.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Moved to appropriate Forum.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

One time, while playing Charades, I got Aleister Crowley: The Theory and Practice of Magick in one. The girls' team just stared at us for a few seconds, until one actually said, "Who the fuck are you?"

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

I remember giving this a try WAY back. It lost me when Accelerator showed up. There's OP and then there's...

I'll let Abridged Kirito say it.

The I couldn't much stick with it after that. Not when they made something like that and the main character just so happened to have one of the perfect counters to it.

It was so... Middle school.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Aleister Crowley
Redshirt

Post by Aleister Crowley »

LadyTevar wrote: 2019-01-13 06:38pm Moved to appropriate Forum.
Thanks. I should update the post to reflect the move.
Raw Shark wrote: 2019-01-14 02:56am One time, while playing Charades, I got Aleister Crowley: The Theory and Practice of Magick in one. The girls' team just stared at us for a few seconds, until one actually said, "Who the fuck are you?"
I'd wonder who the fuck I am too.
Majin Gojira wrote: 2019-01-14 09:42am I remember giving this a try WAY back. It lost me when Accelerator showed up. There's OP and then there's...

I'll let Abridged Kirito say it.

The I couldn't much stick with it after that. Not when they made something like that and the main character just so happened to have one of the perfect counters to it.

It was so... Middle school.
Accelerator was a badass, but I'll get into that later.
Crossroads Inc. wrote: 2019-01-13 01:42am as an admire of all Bishonen I am intrigued to know more.
Oh for sure I'll be talking about this more.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Aleister Crowley wrote: 2019-01-14 11:23am Accelerator was a badass, but I'll get into that later.
Won't have much effect here.

I do not define badass as having a lot of power and lording it over others, I define it as overcoming great odds.

And he needed and got a nerf in order for him to even face such odds. Basically. The series admitted they created a problem, and acted on it. That is not strong writing.

So, no. He does not fit my definition. I saw about 4 arcs worth (up to the "everyone in the world is drawn from protagonist's memory" arc which was done far better in Farscape, which i think is 4th) so I more than gave it a chance to win me over.

It did not.

Most of the time I found myself grumbling "the protag has a win button for an arm, how long is this gonna drag out until he uses the bloody thing?!"

That and the opening Amnesia bit is just so lazy from a writing standpoint.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran