Congressman Steve King abandons all pretence, endorses white supremacism.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Congressman Steve King abandons all pretence, endorses white supremacism.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

The Congressional Black Caucus has called for him to be removed from committee assignments.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/12/politics ... index.html
Congressman Klansman wrote:"White nationalist, white supremacist, Western civilization - how did that language become offensive?"..."Why did I sit in classes teaching me about the merits of our history and our civilization?"
As a Westerner, I'd like to think that there's more to Western civilization than white supremacy, and fear and hatred of all other civilizations. Be that as it may, King is a coward and an avowed advocate of white supremacism who is unworthy to sit in any government office. That the Republican Party leadership has not moved to expel him shows how subsumed by white supremacy the entire Republican Party has become.

Edit: I could also make the argument that there is no single "Western civilization", and that the white supremacist ideologies in Western culture that King endorses are directly at odds with the rationalist and egalitarian ideals that grew out of the Enlightenment.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Re: Congressman Steve King abandons all pretence, endorses white supremacism.

Post by mr friendly guy »

Colbert said it best, this Steven King is the horrifying one. :lol:
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Well, he's got the courage of his convictions if he's willing to say that out loud and on camera, I'll give him that much.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Zaune wrote: 2019-01-13 09:17am Well, he's got the courage of his convictions if he's willing to say that out loud and on camera, I'll give him that much.
I'm not going to credit him with courage, because in my experience prejudice is usually driven by deep insecurity and fear. Say, rather, that his fear of consequences (limited, since the only people he has to appeal to to stay in power is the Republican base) is outweighed by his fear of people who don't look or think like him.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

King has started tentatively back peddling, and the House Minority Leader has said he will be "having a serious conversation with Congressman Steve King on his future and role in this Republican Party":

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/13/politics ... index.html

houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

How much do you want to bet that conversation is going to be some variation of "Stop saying the quiet part out loud!"?
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

houser2112 wrote: 2019-01-14 08:34am How much do you want to bet that conversation is going to be some variation of "Stop saying the quiet part out loud!"?
Who knows, but the fact that they think it's not suppose to be said outloud speaks volumes. Mainly that it's seen that open and obvious racism isn't OK in US politics, sure when you look at somethings they're clearly motivated by racism but open white superemism(or however you spelled it again) is not OK.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Trump has been race baiting Warren with Pocahontas for weeks, months, years.

More recently, he made a wounded knee crack at her. As I've said elsewhere, I'm honestly surprised at this point he hasn't made an Auschwitz crack about Sanders. But I think even he, and the populace, would take that seriously.
“If Elizabeth Warren, often referred to by me as Pocahontas, did this commercial from Bighorn or Wounded Knee instead of her kitchen, with her husband dressed in full Indian garb, it would have been a smash!”
It's worth a laugh that both Trump and the people who support him think this is clever. I don't even know how much traction this explicitly racist jab will get in the media, and that's actually NOT worth a laugh.

These are the kinds of people the "totally not racist" GOP deals with and wants in office. So, King might deal with some consequences, but I'm sure they'll just wait for the news to cycle and just let it slide.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

houser2112 wrote: 2019-01-14 08:34am How much do you want to bet that conversation is going to be some variation of "Stop saying the quiet part out loud!"?
Wouldn't shock me. The Republican Party cares about power (primarily power for rich white men), not principle. If they cared about principle, Trump would be out of office by now (or would never have gotten the nomination).

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Watching CNN- apparently McConnel has now condemned King's statements as unworthy of his office and said that if he doesn't understand why white supremacy is bad he should choose a different line of work, and Mitt Romney has gone a step further and outright called for his resignation.

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

EXTRA! EXTRA!

Weasels condemn fox for henhouse raiding.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2019-01-14 07:02pm EXTRA! EXTRA!

Weasels condemn fox for henhouse raiding.
He was too overt for them, even though they (directly or indirectly by silence) have enabled the degeneration of the Republican Party to this point. They like their racism subtler and easier to ignore.

Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

In other news, King was stripped of all of his committee assignments after saying the quiet part out loud.
CNN wrote:Republican Rep. Steve King of Iowa has been removed from committee assignments following racist remarks, House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy announced Monday, the latest development in bipartisan condemnation of King's recent interview that appeared to lament that the term "white supremacist" is considered offensive.
McCarthy announced that the House Republican Steering Committee -- which oversees committee assignments -- met Monday night and made a decision that King "will not be serving on committees in this Congress."
The move is just the latest reaction to King's comments, which have outraged both sides of the aisle, and spurred calls for more actions against the conservative Iowa congressman, who has a lengthy history of incendiary comments related to race and immigration. Earlier Monday, a pair of the Senate's most high-profile Republicans sharply condemned King, the highest ranking GOP officials to publicly rebuke King after comments he made to The New York Times that were sympathetic to white supremacists.
King criticized his party's move stripping of his committee assignments in a statement, saying, "Leader McCarthy's decision to remove me from committees is a political decision that ignores the truth."

"The truth is as follows: One of my quotes in a New York Times story has been completely mischaracterized," King said, going into lengthy detail of what he described as a 56-minute interview with the publication. He concluded with, "I will continue to point out the truth and work with all the vigor that I have to represent 4th District Iowans for at least the next two years."
While committee assignments for the new Congress have not been officially designated, King had been a member of the House Judiciary, Agriculture and Small Business committees and King was also the top Republican on a Judiciary subcommittee.

Key Republicans condemn King
The criticism from Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and Utah freshman Sen. Mitt Romney, comes as the House plans to vote as soon as Tuesday on a resolution to disapprove of the actions of King.
"There is no place in the Republican Party, the Congress or the country for an ideology of racial supremacy of any kind," McConnell said in a statement released from his office. "I have no tolerance for such positions and those who espouse these views are not supporters of American ideals and freedoms. Rep. King's statements are unwelcome and unworthy of his elected position."
McConnell added, "If he doesn't understand why 'white supremacy' is offensive, he should find another line of work."
McConnell's statement was first reported by The Washington Post.
Romney told CNN that King should "step aside."
"I think he ought to step aside and I think Congress ought to make it very clear he has no place there," the 2012 Republican presidential nominee said on Capitol Hill.
In an interview with the Times in a story published last week, King asked, "White nationalist, white supremacist, Western civilization — how did that language become offensive?"
At least one of King's House GOP colleagues began calling for King's resignation Monday.
Rep. Chris Stewart said that he "absolutely" agreed with McCarthy's decision and wished King would resign.
"It's not the first time that he's said things that the party just cringes at and says, 'What in the world are you saying?" the Utah Republican told CNN's Chris Cuomo on "Cuomo Prime Time" Monday.
"I wish he'd resign frankly," Stewart said, adding, "He can't do the work. He's lost the trust and faith of his comrades. For the good of the party, for the good of the American people, I think it's time for us to make a change."

House to soon vote on disapproval
The House will vote as soon as Tuesday on the resolution to disapprove of King, Democratic sources told CNN. The resolution being proposed by South Carolina Rep. James Clyburn, the No. 3 member of Democratic House leadership and the highest ranking African American member of Congress. The resolution however is not as severe as a censure resolution that other Democrats -- like Rep. Tim Ryan of Ohio and Bobby Rush of Illinois -- are proposing.
King met Monday afternoon with McCarthy of California. McCarthy, the top Republican in the chamber, said over the weekend that King's language has "no place in America" and that "action will be taken."
"That is not the America I know, and it is most definitely not the party of Lincoln," McCarthy told CBS' "Face the Nation" on Sunday. "I have a scheduled meeting with him on Monday, and I will tell you this: I've watched on the other side that they do not take action when their members say something like this. Action will be taken. I'm having a serious conversation with Congressman Steve King on his future and role in this Republican Party."
On the floor of the House on Friday, King said his comments were taken out of context, saying he rejects white supremacist ideology and labels on individuals.
"I regret the heartburn that has poured forth upon this Congress and this country and especially in my state and in my congressional district," King said on the floor. "But the people who do know me know I wouldn't even have to make this statement because they know my life they know my history, they know that I have lived in the same place since 1978."
As he left the floor, King was asked by reporters if he was worried about losing his ranking member position on a House Judiciary subcommittee.

"I've had no discussion about that. I haven't given it any thought," King said. "But the more you guys write about that stuff, then it becomes an issue."
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -hypocrisy
My, how things change so quickly these days among Republican friends. Just a few weeks ago Senator Joni Ernst and Representative Steve King of Iowa shared a warm embrace – there are photos of it all over the internet since Ernst condemned King last weekend for wondering whatever happened to good old white supremacy. And then the House minority leader, Kevin McCarthy, was going to take King out to the woodshed on Monday for a good talking-to about his latest utterances, the likes of which Ernst and McCarthy ignored over the past 16 years. The House Democrats, who never shed a dime trying to unseat King, now want to censure him.

The hypocrisy is epic and comic.

King, 69, has talked redneck since he ran for the Iowa senate from Kiron. Nothing new there. It got him so popular with the base to become Governor Kim Reynolds’ campaign chairman in November. Ted Cruz, who also last weekend gave King the Judas kiss with that new beard of his, used to pick off pheasants on a dude ranch near Akron with the Sage of North-west Iowa. Cruz once so admired King that the Texan said that Chuck Norris sleeps in Steve King pajamas. This as Cruz was telling a Dreamer from Storm Lake that he would deport her first thing if he were running this show.

Pining for the good old days when Mexicans kept their heads down picking lettuce, nobody raised an objection when King and Trump repeat that Latino teens are a bunch of drug-runner-good-for-nothings. But when it allows a Democrat to come close in this little slice of Texas that is western Iowa, well, that is another matter entirely.

Dawn came on the Wednesday following the midterm election to reveal that it was not a dream: Democrat JD Scholten had come within three points of King with almost no funds. A used Winnebago camper was his campaign centerpiece and home on the road. The entire GOP establishment was shaken in its boots: voters were getting fed up with institutional racism.

'He's so openly racist': why does Iowa keep electing Steve King to Congress?
Read more
The money in Des Moines talked state senator Randy Feenstra of Hull into running. He is a darling of radical conservatives, a Dordt College professor who is more polite about plans to deport millions of immigrants and turn back desperate asylum seekers. Feenstra proclaims that he walks every step with Trump but is not as “caustic” as King. That is, not as frank.

Advertisement

King’s brand always has been a straight shooter not afraid of what anyone thinks. He showed Trump the way to The Wall. Right after Feenstra announced, King was berating him on Twitter for disloyalty. After he was stripped of his agriculture and judiciary committee assignments by McCarthy, King declared defiantly that he had been denied his free-speech rights and that he was the victim of “a political decision that ignores the truth”. King will tell the base that he and Trump walk the lonely path alone to recovering our greatness. Feenstra and McCarthy and the rest of them are afraid of what he represents, and what is so wrong with white nationalism anyhow?

Other challengers gather. One is a popular county supervisor from populous Story county (Ames, home of Iowa State University), another a businessman from rural Shelby county. One could imagine others, and how that clears an easy path for a King renomination.

Which leaves many of us confused, chief among them Scholten. He thinks he can beat King, but he has not fully sized up Feenstra. “They really like him up there,” Scholten said of Sioux and surrounding counties, which we call Dutch country for all the conservative Hollanders.

That’s 80% of the GOP in the 39-county fourth district.

King does not need the judiciary committee to give him voice when Fox News is standing by
Yet Scholten is scheduled to speak with the Sioux county Democrats. If Republicans could clear the field for a Feenstra-King showdown (which they can’t, really), would the people who have loved King for so long abandon him for a nicer and seemingly less nutty version in Feenstra? If Trump be our guide, then no. King will not back down. Losing a committee assignment from a minority backbench is liberating to King, certainly not punishing. He does not need the judiciary committee to give him voice when Fox News is standing by – and they will stand by. He never needed the congressional campaign money before. Why would he need it now when he earns so much publicity for nothing? He knows the wingnuts will come through for him, from Austria to Alabama.

This will be a lingering problem for Ernst, facing re-election in 2020. Scholten knows it. He wants to run against her but knows how formidable any incumbent is, especially her. The entire Republican machinery that owns Iowa government will be at her shoulder. Scholten doesn’t think former governor Tom Vilsack will run. Scholten already was wedding Ernst to King irrevocably on Twitter over the weekend, along with tens of thousands of others. Those reminders will linger and amplify and stew over the next couple of years.

Steve King is every Iowa Republican’s tar baby who cannot be shaken off their boots like a bread bag that Ernst put on hers waiting for the school bus along that gravel road. Ernst could be Scholten’s opportunity. He came so close to King he has this Beto zeitgeist thing going. A betting man might lay odds that King will prevail in a primary as a visionary zealot who prepared the way for our fearless and feckless leader Trump. The Establishment is playing into King’s hands: a GOP primary scares off Scholten, who developed a pretty broad following in his introductory campaign, and King waltzes back in. It’s what King lives for. You can’t march with Trump and shrug off King. He is part of the bargain.

• Art Cullen is the Pulitzer Prize-winning editor of The Storm Lake Times in Northwest Iowa. He also is the author of the new book Storm Lake: A Chronicle of Change, Resilience, and Hope from a Heartland Newspaper (Viking).
Yup. Its good that some prominent Republicans are condemning King now, but the Republican leadership has by and large tolerated and often actively courted and egged on white supremacists and all manner of bigotry, while routinely enacting policies that disproportionately hurt minorities and women and then denying that there's a problem/blaming it on the Left. If they want to show that they no longer condone white supremacy/white nationalism, then this flurry of condemnation needs to be more than just a one-off. Otherwise, this just looks like an attempt at ass-covering because King made the mistake of, as houser2112 put it, "saying the quiet part out loud".*

And yes, part of that would be disavowing Donald Trump. Given the power he wields, his overt racism is far more dangerous and damaging than Steve King's. And yet there are no calls from Republicans in Congress for his resignation, and few efforts to curtail his power or actions in any meaningful way.

Personally, I'm not holding my breath.

*Edit: specifically, doing so while in a politically vulnerable position. Republicans love a winner, and they hate a loser. The party is driven primarily by a desire for power, not by principle.

FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2019-01-15 03:28pm And yes, part of that would be disavowing Donald Trump. Given the power he wields, his overt racism is far more dangerous and damaging than Steve King's. And yet there are no calls from Republicans in Congress for his resignation, and few efforts to curtail his power or actions in any meaningful way.

Personally, I'm not holding my breath.

*Edit: specifically, doing so while in a politically vulnerable position. Republicans love a winner, and they hate a loser. The party is driven primarily by a desire for power, not by principle.
I think this Steve King shit is a test case. Do they take a beating for crucifying him in the conservative press? It’s not a coincidence it happens after the Dems take the house and the shutdown goes on for weeks, and in the same week as collusion becomes basically undeniable. The 180 on this asshole is conspicuously timed, for sure.

If Fox and talk radio don’t back King, and/or if it forces his resignation in disgrace, you will see Republicans start to turn on Trump. Mark my words, the Steve King thing is asking for permission. It looks to me like they’re getting it, too.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

One can hope. I do think some of it is pragmatic- King is vulnerable, the tide is turning against Republicans, and so they throw him under the bus. If he goes down, maybe they'll start to turn on Donald too (though Roy Moore losing fucking Alabama didn't get them to turn on Donald).

But part of it is that he was just too blatant this time, and it got a lot of coverage. I think a lot of people are very very good at ignoring horrible things because its convenient. A lot of people are good at rationalizing casual racism- but if you come right out and say the N-word, or fly a Swastika, or say white supremacy, they balk.

Steve King pushed it one step too far, or too openly, at the wrong time, and the media picked up on it and ran with it big time. Its the perfect confluence of events to finally nail the fucker to the wall.

Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Here are two more GOP twats who need to be shamed:

GOP Congressmen Meet With Holocaust-Denying Troll Chuck Johnson
Notorious alt-right figure and Holocaust denier Chuck Johnson met with two Republican lawmakers in Congress on Wednesday.

Johnson’s visit was first noted by a HuffPost reporter, who tweeted a picture of Reps. Andy Harris (R-MD) and Phil Roe (R-TN) walking with Johnson.
More at the link.