I heard about that while I was at Antir-West War. What a bummer. =(
Ogrek is beyond strategy.

<- Avatar from Dr. Roy's List of Stomatopods for the Aquarium
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: General SCA Thread

Post by LadyTevar »

We're still waiting to hear funeral arrangements and other details. HRH Anna Leigh has her mother with her now, so she's not alone, and Outlands have bend over backwards to help her. We owe them a huge debt.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

A few years back I volunteered to become the Kingdom Deputy Herald over West Virginia. In that time I have assisted several Jewel Heralds (Royal Court Herald) in their duties. Before that, I was the Baronial Pursuivant, in charge of running Baronial Courts and writing up the Reports. I have been enjoying my retirement from that stress.

This was the FIRST EVENT I've attended where the Jewel Herald was not with Their Majesties. This event was also held in West Virginia, making ME the Ranking Herald. :banghead:

Did I mention I don't like being the one RUNNING Court? Not only did I have to keep the scrolls in order, I had to be able to read the scrolls (two of which did not have handy typed versions on the back). Then I had to get information for the Court Report: the scribes/illuminators names, why these people got their Awards, amusing things that happen during Court, which scrolls were NOT read due to the receipiant not being there, proper spelling/pronunciation of names, etc. And since this was the Court with ALL SEVEN BARONIES of Æthelmearc in attendance (7 Pearls Championship), I had to keep track of what the Barons did in THEIR Courts, which were opened within the Royal Court.

My god, it was like a Russian Doll. First Royal Court Opens, then the Host Barony (Blackstone Mountain), then the next Barony, then the next, all down the line, each of the seven having their Herald "Open Court and give Leave for (next) to Open their Court". Then, the last Barony in the line announced the winner of one of the Championships and closed Court. Which meant the next Barony in line Resumed Court, said a word or two, gave out an award, and closed Court so the next Barony could resume.....

And I had to jot all of this down in (unreadable) shorthand while standing behind their Majesties so I could write up the Report and have it entered into the Official Rolls. :banghead:

And worst of all, I didn't get any of the booze they were passing around. :roll: But, as I was writing the report, the bottle's trip down from Their Majesties to the end of the Barony line and back was included as "amusing shit that happened". :angelic:
So did the last Baronial Herald's flub, granting their Royal Majesties leave to continue their Court. :lol: :lol: :lol:

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

And, I have officially gone nuts.
Unto the Baron and Baroness of Blackstone Mountain, the Seneschal, and the Baronial Populace, I, THLady Kathryn MacLuing, do hereby announce my intent to run for Baronial Seneschal.

For those who may not know me, I have been a member of the Society since 1989. I have been a Founding Member of both the Shire of Port Oasis and the Shire of Lofty Mountain, as well as a Founding Member of the Barony of Blackstone Mountain itself. I have served as Shire Chronicler for both Port Oasis and Lofty Mountain; as Mistress of Arts & Sciences for Lofty Mountain; and as Seneschal of the Shire of Riversmeet. I have held the office of Baronial Chronicler, Baronial Mistress of Arts and Sciences, and served as Onyx Pursuivant for two Barons. Currently I am Millrind Herald, the Kingdom Deputy for Region One (WV).

As a Founding Member of the Barony, I have seen the Barony rise, struggle, and sag more than once. Currently, the Barony is again over-whelmed and over-worked. The Officers are tired, having struggled for far too long to keep the Barony going. After all the hard work I and others have put into creating this Barony decades ago, I cannot let it fall without a fight! Thus, I am going to stand for Seneschal. I am going to try to build a base to let the Barony rise again. It won't be instaneous. It won't be easy. It will take a lot of support from the Populace. But I do not want to see the Barony fall -- Do You?

THL Kathryn MacLuing
(Kathy Kemmish)

LapsedPacifist
Jedi Knight

Post by LapsedPacifist »

Oh dear. Of all the jobs to go for, you went for the least-fun one?

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

LapsedPacifist wrote: 2018-11-28 05:53pm Oh dear. Of all the jobs to go for, you went for the least-fun one?
I consider that to be Exchequer, myself. Seneschal just gets to be the first one the shit falls on. That I can deal with

LapsedPacifist
Jedi Knight

Post by LapsedPacifist »

Everyone forgets about the exchequers. =D

Congratulations!

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I don't have it yet, LapsedPacifist. Vote's not til January

Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

If there's one admirable thing I can say about about you with certainty, you sure do like to take a (figurative) beating.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Raw Shark wrote: 2018-12-11 10:57am If there's one admirable thing I can say about about you with certainty, you sure do like to take a (figurative) beating.
I have this problem where I see something that needs doing, and decide I'm the woman for the job.

So far, that attitude has gotten me my Award of Arms (base award for service, arts, or martial arts), my Order of the Onyx (Baronial Service), my Order of the Black Stone (higher Baronial service award), my Sycamore (Kingdom service award), and my Grant of Arms Millrind (highest Kingdom service award). If I keep this up they'll give me The Bird (Mistress of the Pelican, Society-wide Service award).

I don't want/deserve The Bird, but I can't just sit by as things go south.

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

I'm impressed.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

So... I miss the SCA meeting this past Sunday due to snow. No biggie, right? Elections aren't til January, so I can just ask folks what happened.

Except after I ask what happened at the meeting, first I get a "Yeah, things happened" from the current Seneschal, in what seems like a bitchy tone, THEN he posts later that there's a new Seneschal. My rival, the guy who wants to let the Barony crash and burn, will be taking over as of January. So, WTF happened to "Elections in January"? Why were they held THIS MONTH, and no one (LIKE ME!) told?!

I'm hurt. I feel betrayed. I was in the running for it, but did they even include my name when this fuckin' vote was taken?

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Then, you should challenge the results.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

LadyTevar wrote: 2018-12-11 11:36pm My rival, the guy who wants to let the Barony crash and burn, will be taking over as of January. So, WTF happened to "Elections in January"? Why were they held THIS MONTH, and no one (LIKE ME!) told?!

I'm hurt. I feel betrayed. I was in the running for it, but did they even include my name when this fuckin' vote was taken?
Its like the 2016 election all over again.

But if there's no-one you can trust to object in such a flanking manoeuvre, im left puzzled why you want to spend time with these peoplem
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

It's her life, or at least a good chunk of it. That's why it hurts,
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

Welp, only tangentially related: but made my first batch of mead. Turned out drinkable, definitely better than half the crap at the liquor store. Surprisingly easy to make too.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

I grew up right across the street from beekeepers. Mead is a thing that I like, but it definitely ranges widely in quality. Their youngest was also the first girl I ever saw naked (age six; her idea; treehouse; fucking classic). Considering that bees are my otherwise-indestructible father's kryptonite, I had somewhat mixed feelings about the family.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Zwinmar wrote: 2018-12-12 10:59pm Welp, only tangentially related: but made my first batch of mead. Turned out drinkable, definitely better than half the crap at the liquor store. Surprisingly easy to make too.
Wish I lived closer, I'd love to have a bottle :)

Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

Only made a gallon of it, 3 pounds honey to 1 gallon of water so it is rather strong, though I have no problem sharing it.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Slainte, my friend :)
May one day we be at an event together where we can drink to your health :)

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

So... event coming up this weekend, and what do I do last night?
Stay up until 4am embroidering a belt favor with the badges of my Awards so I don't have to wear the dangles around my neck. Baronial Awards, Kingdom Awards, Grant-level Award... I really need to find a better way to display them than multiple necklaces, especially since None Of Them MATCH.

Hell, I might go Viking just so I can hang them on the Bling like I've seen other ladies do. But then I'd have to buy/make matching sets. *sigh*

At least I got the new underskirt for my ItalRenn dress done, as well as a new sideless surcoat.

LapsedPacifist
Jedi Knight

Post by LapsedPacifist »

So I've had the opportunity to go ahead and start working towards a roman persona. I've got a Clang SCA helm commissioned and a started making my fighting kit into a Hamata wearing 1st century Legionary.

Name will be Caius Scribonius and I haven't picked a Cognomen yet.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

LapsedPacifist wrote: 2019-03-10 09:49pm So I've had the opportunity to go ahead and start working towards a roman persona. I've got a Clang SCA helm commissioned and a started making my fighting kit into a Hamata wearing 1st century Legionary.

Name will be Caius Scribonius and I haven't picked a Cognomen yet.
YAY!
I know ever little about Roman names.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Backlog Scroll for the Kingdom A&S Champion.
Why did I decide to use a exemplar with a lot of fiddly vines and leaves crisscrossing? I know it LOOKS great when it's done, but..... *sigh*

The smaller scroll for the upcoming Baronial Archery Championship is far easier, even with the marginalia of a rabbit using a snail's shell for archery practice. Still have to decide how to paint the shell.... actual archery target colors?

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

And I just got casually asked by folks close to TRH if I was going to be at Coronation.

And when I said it was a money issue -- THEY PAID MY WAY IN.

I think I'm wanted at Coronation April 6th. :wtf: