Avengers: Endgame First Trailer

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Avengers: Endgame First Trailer

Post by Crazedwraith »

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Re: Avengers: Endgame First Trailer

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

I see Hawkeye and Ant-Man (who somehow escaped the Quantum Realm) have both made a return. Seems like they'll be able to compensate for their absence last time around.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Looks like the rumours of Clint using the Ronin name are true.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Gonna call it: Carol is the one to pick up Tony and Nebula in space. I'd also lay odds on her having developed a bit of a drinking problem in the interim between the 90s and the present, which would give Tony a point of connection with her.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Doesn't drop any hints on anything except the shock that Scott is alive.

NICE
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Solauren wrote: 2018-12-07 08:49pm Doesn't drop any hints on anything except the shock that Scott is alive.

NICE
I KNOW! It's the perfect teaser, setting up JUST ENOUGH to make us want to know more, without being over-spoilery!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Avengers 4: Quest for the Greatest Deus Ex Machina Ever?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

The tonal shift with Scott's arrival is absolutely perfect. It's all down and morose, and then Scott shows up and suddenly there's light, there's hope, and humor.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Gandalf wrote: 2018-12-08 08:56am Avengers 4: Quest for the Greatest Deus Ex Machina Ever?
Well the last one was the search for the greatest Diabolocus Ex Machina ever, so it evens out.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Unless they come up with something very unexpected or indirect, defeating Thanos comes down to a) sucker-punch one-shot him (basically only Thor or maybe Captain Marvel have the power to do this if they get the drop on him), b) get the Gauntlet off him somehow and use it to kill him, c) get instantly killed by him. Really the only ways this fight can go, given how powerful Gauntleted Thanos is.

Anyhoo, I like the teaser, though it isn't quite as powerful for me as Infinity War's was. I do think Tony is going to die in this film, and I think it makes dramatic and thematic sense for that to happen, but it ain't going to be dying in the vacume of space (how did he get off-world by the way?- did he build a spaceship in a cave with a box of scraps?). I wonder if Nebula is with him (Tony/Nebula shipper here btw).

Hawkeye and Antman are there, nice. I wonder if Hawkeye's family died in the finger-snap, and if that will be addressed. Lots of Natasha in the teaser. That's a plus.

I am curious as to how the ecosystem is remotely functioning if half of all life died. That's approaching Late Cretaceous levels of mass extinction. Not to mention the total breakdown of society. We should be looking at Mad Max Earth here, basically, outside of maybe Wakanda (which has the tech., leadership, and superhero support to maintain some order, I think, and is used to functioning in isolation from the rest of civilization).
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-12-08 03:00pma) sucker-punch one-shot him (basically only Thor or maybe Captain Marvel have the power to do this if they get the drop on him)
I 100% expect Banner's inability to Hulk out in Infinity War to be setting up a transformation into the Worldbreaker, so that's probably one other you can add to that list.
Dass.Kapital
Padawan Learner

Post by Dass.Kapital »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-12-08 03:00pmI am curious as to how the ecosystem is remotely functioning if half of all life died. That's approaching Late Cretaceous levels of mass extinction. Not to mention the total breakdown of society. We should be looking at Mad Max Earth here, basically, outside of maybe Wakanda (which has the tech., leadership, and superhero support to maintain some order, I think, and is used to functioning in isolation from the rest of civilization).
I don't quite think half of 'All life' has gone away.

I don't remember seeing any trees go all dustify at the end of the last movie. So... that's a kind of bonus.

Maybe there's a 'Sentience cap'?

*Shrug*

Just put it down to character hyperbole?
Highlord Laan wrote:Agatha Heterodyne built a squadron of flying pigs and an overgunned robot reindeer in a cave! With a box of scraps!
"And low, I have cometh, the destroyer of threads."
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Civil War Man wrote: 2018-12-08 05:03pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-12-08 03:00pma) sucker-punch one-shot him (basically only Thor or maybe Captain Marvel have the power to do this if they get the drop on him)
I 100% expect Banner's inability to Hulk out in Infinity War to be setting up a transformation into the Worldbreaker, so that's probably one other you can add to that list.
Hmm, maybe.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Was that what was about? I just took it as Hulk being a wuss about losing a fight and refusing to come out in fear of losing again. :lol:
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I thought it was more about the Professor version.

Or at least what I've read the Professor was supposed to be pre-retcons which is a perfect blend of Hulk and banner. Banner intellect, hulk body. Then it because another of his split personalities.

For me a possible end point for MCU Banner would be to finally accept he and Hulk are not actually different people and he is hulk and gain full control over transformations/himself.

Then again Ragnarok made them much more separate people so who knows.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-12-08 03:00pm Unless they come up with something very unexpected or indirect, defeating Thanos comes down to a) sucker-punch one-shot him (basically only Thor or maybe Captain Marvel have the power to do this if they get the drop on him), b) get the Gauntlet off him somehow and use it to kill him, c) get instantly killed by him. Really the only ways this fight can go, given how powerful Gauntleted Thanos is.
I know essentially nothing about Marvel canon, being only familiar with the movies and a handful of half-remembered comics from when I was a kid, so I apologize ahead of time if I am way off base about this. But ... is the Gauntlet still functional? The movie ended pretty abruptly after Thanos used it, so maybe I'm reading too much into the visual effects, but it LOOKED to me like the Gauntlet was broken after Thanos triggered it? Unfortunately I can't seem to find the clip online in order to double-check.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Ziggy Stardust wrote: 2018-12-10 04:59pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-12-08 03:00pm Unless they come up with something very unexpected or indirect, defeating Thanos comes down to a) sucker-punch one-shot him (basically only Thor or maybe Captain Marvel have the power to do this if they get the drop on him), b) get the Gauntlet off him somehow and use it to kill him, c) get instantly killed by him. Really the only ways this fight can go, given how powerful Gauntleted Thanos is.
I know essentially nothing about Marvel canon, being only familiar with the movies and a handful of half-remembered comics from when I was a kid, so I apologize ahead of time if I am way off base about this. But ... is the Gauntlet still functional? The movie ended pretty abruptly after Thanos used it, so maybe I'm reading too much into the visual effects, but it LOOKED to me like the Gauntlet was broken after Thanos triggered it? Unfortunately I can't seem to find the clip online in order to double-check.
Even if the Gauntlet is, as long as the stones are still intact, couldn't Thanos just get another one made if he wanted to.

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

It looked pretty beat up, but not necessarily broken. So I wager there's one big reset button level move left in it.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Honestly I'm not sure the Gauntlet itself is even necessary; mostly the Stones just have to be held together in some fashion. 'Infinity Necklace' just doesn't sound as cool.

There's a nice bit of bookending-- Tony in a singlet on the Benatar looks a lot like Tony in a singlet in an Afghan cave. Gwyneth Paltrow also posted a photo of herself in what appears to be a purple version of the Iron Man suit, so that's very interesting.

In the original storyline, Nebula took advantage of Thanos leaving his body behind to go cosmic-god-mode, and pulled the Gauntlet off his hand. Reversal of the Finger-Snap (TM) ensued. Then she couldn't handle the power, shenanigans ensued, and Adam Warlock ended up with it.

Well, there's no Adam Warlock here, and with James Gunn and quite possibly several of the Guardians cast out, there's no indication the heavy hint dropped for Adam Warlock at the end of Guardians 2 is going to come to fruition. So I think we can pretty safely leave much of the original comic-book plot out, particularly with the introduction of Ant-Man and the Quantum Realm as new plot elements. The appearance of young Gamora in what may well be Soul-World is an interesting twist though.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-12-10 05:24pm Honestly I'm not sure the Gauntlet itself is even necessary; mostly the Stones just have to be held together in some fashion. 'Infinity Necklace' just doesn't sound as cool.

There's a nice bit of bookending-- Tony in a singlet on the Benatar looks a lot like Tony in a singlet in an Afghan cave. Gwyneth Paltrow also posted a photo of herself in what appears to be a purple version of the Iron Man suit, so that's very interesting.

In the original storyline, Nebula took advantage of Thanos leaving his body behind to go cosmic-god-mode, and pulled the Gauntlet off his hand. Reversal of the Finger-Snap (TM) ensued. Then she couldn't handle the power, shenanigans ensued, and Adam Warlock ended up with it.

Well, there's no Adam Warlock here, and with James Gunn and quite possibly several of the Guardians cast out, there's no indication the heavy hint dropped for Adam Warlock at the end of Guardians 2 is going to come to fruition. So I think we can pretty safely leave much of the original comic-book plot out, particularly with the introduction of Ant-Man and the Quantum Realm as new plot elements. The appearance of young Gamora in what may well be Soul-World is an interesting twist though.
I'd love it if Nebula got the Gauntlet and used it to kill Thanos and resurrect Gamora. But I think that we're probably going to get heroic sacrifice by Tony as our ending.

Pepper in a suite, huh... so I guess she made it through the Finger-snap. Nice.

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-12-10 05:41pm I'd love it if Nebula got the Gauntlet and used it to kill Thanos and resurrect Gamora. But I think that we're probably going to get heroic sacrifice by Tony as our ending.

Pepper in a suite, huh... so I guess she made it through the Finger-snap. Nice.
Bear in mind that we don't know anything about the plot yet. The only thing we can probably guess with confidence is that Ant-Man and his powers (well, suit) may be linked to how everything is resolved. It may well be that Pepper in a suit happens -after- everything is tied off in a bow, as Tony Stark's successor or whatever after they restore everything to more or less normal. We'll see.

I still think Carol/Captain Marvel is likely to be the one who rescues Tony and Nebula. Can't imagine who else might be in space other than *perhaps* the Asgardian refugee ship Thor was on. The Guardians all went poof but Nebula, so they might be in Soul-World... or they might not be. Doctor Strange is also out of the picture, but I do find it rather interesting that the Quantum Realm rather resembles the various dimensions Strange passed through in the movie. Perhaps he flushed himself into a different dimension? There's also talk that Strange sabotaged the Time Stone before he gave it to Thanos. Don't know how credible that is, though.

Shuri also went poof (she's the face alongside Bucky), so she's out of the equation. Nobody is resurrecting Vision either, I don't think, unless the Wakandans figure that out. Don't recall if Scarlet Witch survived.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

The Asgardian refugee ship was blown up by Thanos at the start of Infinity War. The Guardians' Ravager friends are one possibility that comes to mind, though.

Scarlet Witch is dust in the wind.

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-12-10 06:05pm The Asgardian refugee ship was blown up by Thanos at the start of Infinity War. The Guardians' Ravager friends are one possibility that comes to mind, though.

Scarlet Witch is dust in the wind.
Did he actually blow it up or did he just leave it? Oh, nah, he left Thor floating in space. Guess he did blow it up.

The Ravagers are possible, but Yondu was the Guardians' main tie to that faction, and he's gone. Still it's possible they could pick up Tony, particularly if the Benatar has some kind of distress signal.

Pretty sure it was said at some point that Thanos destroyed Xandar, so we probably can't expect the Nova Corps to make a reappearance, and Nova as a superhero is a bit too similar to Captain Marvel design-wise to have the two together onscreen. Quasar is probably not happening, he was linked IIRC to Ego the Living Planet, who is gone, and the Quantum Bands would just confuse people who are already grappling with the Quantum Realm. Hmmm... Silver Surfer is also not happening unless Marvel actually got the F4 rights back, which would also let them play with Galactus. The Cosmic Entities of Marvel probably aren't happening either other than MAYBE the Celestials, as those are some wacky characters/concepts.

Honestly? It wouldn't surprise me *hugely* if they just decide to pull out Adam Warlock at that point. He's flying around the galaxy trying to figure out who just destroyed half of his people, there's this little spaceship with two people on it in the middle of nowhere... but I'm pretty certain he's not going to be anywhere near as fundamental to the plot as he was in the comics, if they even bother with him.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Of course, this could be part of Tony's final moments. .. but it's far more likely he gets rescued then dies later.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Deathstalker
Jedi Council Member

Post by Deathstalker »

It's a pretty good bet that Hawkeye becomes Ronin and comes out of retirement because his family was dusted.