You inherit The Truman Show (RAR)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

You inherit The Truman Show (RAR)

Post by FaxModem1 »

Due to a strange turn of events, after Cristof has a sudden coronary, and because of a typo on his will, you are now the uncontested sole legal heir of the Truman show and all of it's assets. You now control a giant arcological dome with the fictional city of Seahaven set inside. Inside the dome, they have been filming the Truman Show as an elaborate reality show for the past 30 years.

This dome is located right above the Hollywood sign.

What do you do with this inheritance?

During this course of events, we'll say that this is set about a month before the film actually starts.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Re: You inherit The Truman Show (RAR)

Post by Enigma »

Sell it quick. Not interested in running the Truman Show. Take the first bid and leave.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Shut the show down. It baffles me how the Truman Show could operate without the knowledge or consent of its main participant without being found in violation of the 13th Amendment. Unless it's set in an America that repealed the 13th. Amendment, in which case, sell it off and use the proceeds to fund an armed revolt against the government. ;)

Otherwise... sell the perfectly enclosed city in a dome off to someone who will use it to test tech. for Mars colonization.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Ethically I should shut the place down and put money towards integrating the slave at the heart of the show with the rest of the world. Lots of money.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Wheres the fun in these scenarios if everyone is just going to be all ethical? Screw that! :P

Thing is, according to "modern" tastes what the show really needs is more action and drama!

I'm thinking is Seahaven becomes a ground zero for a zombie apocalypse and/or is taken over by drug lords. That ought to keep things interesting.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Tribble wrote: 2018-12-08 05:08am Wheres the fun in these scenarios if everyone is just going to be all ethical? Screw that! :P

Thing is, according to "modern" tastes what the show really needs is more action and drama!

I'm thinking is Seahaven becomes a ground zero for a zombie apocalypse and/or is taken over by drug lords. That ought to keep things interesting.
Piff not evil enough
I'm infecting Truman with a disease, one with a nice slow time to kill so the donation drive to save Truman will get said disease the same kind of intense focus that Lou Gehrig's disease famously got. Maybe one of the cancers, lung is pretty popular but that is mostly smokers, ooh maybe heart disease.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Tribble wrote: 2018-12-08 05:08am Wheres the fun in these scenarios if everyone is just going to be all ethical? Screw that! :P

Game of Thrones crossover. Endless winter plus zombies!
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Permanently seal all of exits and begin pouring cement into the dome. Fill it to the top and wait for it to fully cure before dismantling the dome, turning Seahaven into a Truman tombstone. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Enigma wrote: 2018-12-08 02:57pm Permanently seal all of exits and begin pouring cement into the dome. Fill it to the top and wait for it to fully cure before dismantling the dome, turning Seahaven into a Truman tombstone. :)
Seal all the exits and gradually fill the dome with water; given his aquaphobia at this point it should make things interesting.

Then once the dome is full of water, dynamite the place and unleash all water into Hollywood!
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Tribble wrote: 2018-12-10 10:05am
Enigma wrote: 2018-12-08 02:57pm Permanently seal all of exits and begin pouring cement into the dome. Fill it to the top and wait for it to fully cure before dismantling the dome, turning Seahaven into a Truman tombstone. :)
Seal all the exits and gradually fill the dome with water; given his aquaphobia at this point it should make things interesting.

Then once the dome is full of water, dynamite the place and unleash all water into Hollywood!
Or fill it with cement then dynamite while still wet. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Question: What rights does Truman have?

Based on foreknowledge:
Hire his father back. Amesia/no idea and found down the coast works.
Write off his wife (love the real-world actress, wanted to strangle the character). Something sudden and tragic.
Truman's doctor will tell him he's developed something serious but treatable. Tie this with fund raising for that disease.
During this, we do a search to find 'Trumans true love'.

This should drive ratings and the value of the show up.

Then...
Sell the show...
send Truman a letter, revealing it's all a TV show, how to prove it, and how to escape.

If I want to be cruel to Truman, he's going to have multiple diseases before I sell/reveal.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Sell the whole kit and kaboodle to the SCP Foundation for use as a secure facility for their low-risk anomalous humanoids, because the surveillence setup in there is the kind of thing I would rather be in the hands of an organisation with an Ethics Committee, and then give Truman half. Then I'll use my half of the money to track down everyone willingly involved in the planning and execution of this moral outrage and make them wish they were never born.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog