Something big

View original artwork, poems, etc. that have been created by this forum's members.

Moderator: Beowulf

Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Re: Something big

Post by Esquire »

Snazzy as always - but I wonder, how intense can their forward firepower get? :D
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Me likey.
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"
STONEhenl
Redshirt

Post by STONEhenl »

I made a murderwedge size comparison:

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

It LOOKS nice, but needs some context as it were, a Grid to measure against or the meters listed for each ship.
That said kudos in general for the work.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

I'll add that the way the names and pictures are laid out makes it really hard to match the one to the other. Still, a very nice compilation.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Not a bad attempt. A good one, even. I'm sure that, when things are slow, Ansel will get around to making an official version; for his own sanity as much as for any of ours.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Abacus wrote: 2018-11-05 09:46am Not a bad attempt. A good one, even. I'm sure that, when things are slow, Ansel will get around to making an official version; for his own sanity as much as for any of ours.
I have an 8k one with almost every capital ship on it but I keep adding ships and re-rendering and re-mastering old ones and so I just don't have the energy to keep it up to date. At the same time my OCD refuses to call it done until it is up to date. There, you see my problem.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

That comparison chart could also use an Executor so we can really gauge the size of the bigger ships.
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

fractalsponge1 wrote: 2018-11-05 10:33am
Abacus wrote: 2018-11-05 09:46am Not a bad attempt. A good one, even. I'm sure that, when things are slow, Ansel will get around to making an official version; for his own sanity as much as for any of ours.
I have an 8k one with almost every capital ship on it but I keep adding ships and re-rendering and re-mastering old ones and so I just don't have the energy to keep it up to date. At the same time my OCD refuses to call it done until it is up to date. There, you see my problem.
Indeed. I can only nod in sympathy and pass on your personal favorite spirit to drink down while enacting said updates.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

I'm curious, are light weapons gun crew stationed inside the turrets, or are they controlled from positions inside the hull?
Commander Veers
Redshirt

Post by Commander Veers »

So much detail added... Do these reduxes add a lot of vertices/triangles/whatever they're called? I.e. does it increase by an order of magnitude or something? Your computer is both very blessed to have these ships on it and very unfortunate to have to render them all lol.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Next scout update:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/qAQ9GR
Esquire wrote: 2018-11-09 08:47pm I'm curious, are light weapons gun crew stationed inside the turrets, or are they controlled from positions inside the hull?
I expect they would be remotely controlled for the most part.
PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig »

Looks great and almost finished
Bullets always have the right of away
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Scout finished: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/zADRY4

Calling it Lightskimmer
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

fractalsponge1 wrote: 2018-11-27 11:01am Scout finished: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/zADRY4

Calling it Lightskimmer
Very nice. That ship (and really all those old 90s comics in general) just had such a distinct art style. Much better that Jan Duursema and her tracing promo shots and stills in the clone wars comics of the aughts.

I'm curious, do you have volumes for the models you've made? Like how many cubic meters they would be; iirc most ISDs are ~10^8 m^c I'd be interested in all, but particularly in the smaller ships you've done - the corvette, dreadnaught, etc.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Ender wrote: 2018-11-27 08:02pm
fractalsponge1 wrote: 2018-11-27 11:01am Scout finished: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/zADRY4

Calling it Lightskimmer
Very nice. That ship (and really all those old 90s comics in general) just had such a distinct art style. Much better that Jan Duursema and her tracing promo shots and stills in the clone wars comics of the aughts.

I'm curious, do you have volumes for the models you've made? Like how many cubic meters they would be; iirc most ISDs are ~10^8 m^c I'd be interested in all, but particularly in the smaller ships you've done - the corvette, dreadnaught, etc.
On a very basic level. The measurement tools that I know about in the software don't really take into account any overlapping objects, instead just summing them. Most accurate measurements would require making the models all "water-tight" as single continuous objects and I just don't have the patience for that. If you want specific ships I can fuse enough basic shapes together to get down to a reasonable approximation of main hull volume down to maybe a few thousand m3 without too much trouble. Any particular ones you want measured?
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

fractalsponge1 wrote: 2018-11-28 05:20pm

Calling it Lightskimmer

On a very basic level. The measurement tools that I know about in the software don't really take into account any overlapping objects, instead just summing them. Most accurate measurements would require making the models all "water-tight" as single continuous objects and I just don't have the patience for that. If you want specific ships I can fuse enough basic shapes together to get down to a reasonable approximation of main hull volume down to maybe a few thousand m3 without too much trouble. Any particular ones you want measured?
Oh if it would require extra work don't bother. I was mainly just looking for another way to estimate mass - before I moved on the big thing I had been working on was the logistics and expenditures of wars in SW since that shapes strategies and what kind of politics, society, and fleets you would have. Problem is with the high power and high acceleration you end up with caps on mass, which leaves you with a very limited peak power window. Has all sorts of broader implications.

Though tumbling onto this thread and thinking about the old stuff I used to work on got me digging through my email archive. A fair amount of correspondence and notes from the old brain trust in the late 90s and early aughts; things that never made it to publication; tidbits written in that got axed by later projects, etc. For example the Mandator was originally supposed to be 13.5 km long and do 6e27 watts, the 6km Procutator have a sustainable firepower of 7e26 watts. But then Revenge of the Sith came about and those got cut and the estimates downgraded. So it goes.

I could post highlights here if you are interested. Some of the stuff addresses topics that aren't in your design notes (eg sensors), others would potentially augment what you have there (eg how a higher power:mass ratio means a proportionately worse operating time), and some would let you take what you have and flesh them out more (eg how with cross section and peak power you can get theoretical max airspeed). But I also don't want to turn your thread into a case of "well I think the order of battle should be this and designs like that because of how we interpreted these bits of former canon 20 years ago".

Let me know! Again, love your work.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig »

Ender wrote: 2018-11-29 10:24pm

Oh if it would require extra work don't bother. I was mainly just looking for another way to estimate mass - before I moved on the big thing I had been working on was the logistics and expenditures of wars in SW since that shapes strategies and what kind of politics, society, and fleets you would have. Problem is with the high power and high acceleration you end up with caps on mass, which leaves you with a very limited peak power window. Has all sorts of broader implications.

Though tumbling onto this thread and thinking about the old stuff I used to work on got me digging through my email archive. A fair amount of correspondence and notes from the old brain trust in the late 90s and early aughts; things that never made it to publication; tidbits written in that got axed by later projects, etc. For example the Mandator was originally supposed to be 13.5 km long and do 6e27 watts, the 6km Procutator have a sustainable firepower of 7e26 watts. But then Revenge of the Sith came about and those got cut and the estimates downgraded. So it goes.

I could post highlights here if you are interested. Some of the stuff addresses topics that aren't in your design notes (eg sensors), others would potentially augment what you have there (eg how a higher power:mass ratio means a proportionately worse operating time), and some would let you take what you have and flesh them out more (eg how with cross section and peak power you can get theoretical max airspeed). But I also don't want to turn your thread into a case of "well I think the order of battle should be this and designs like that because of how we interpreted these bits of former canon 20 years ago".

PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig »

You could make a new thread and post a link here
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

I'd love to see this stuff either way (this thread or a new one)!

My personal betting is that if we have to accept Mandator II at 8km and 7.7e26 (not super happy with this but ICS is ICS), a hypothetical Mandator III (which I fought for), is 12km and on the order of 1.5e27. I'd guess Executor is 2-3e27 and I designed Assertor at 4e27. On that basis, estimating Eclipse at 1-2e28. This all assumes ISD at 1e25, which I'm increasingly considering a bit of an underestimate.

I try not to dabble in hypothetical details of sensors too much - not quite sure how to scale them or their effects and capabilities except to build space for them. More aesthetic than technical.
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

fractalsponge1 wrote: 2018-11-30 12:47am

I'd love to see this stuff either way (this thread or a new one)!

My personal betting is that if we have to accept Mandator II at 8km and 7.7e26 (not super happy with this but ICS is ICS), a hypothetical Mandator III (which I fought for), is 12km and on the order of 1.5e27. I'd guess Executor is 2-3e27 and I designed Assertor at 4e27. On that basis, estimating Eclipse at 1-2e28. This all assumes ISD at 1e25, which I'm increasingly considering a bit of an underestimate.

I try not to dabble in hypothetical details of sensors too much - not quite sure how to scale them or their effects and capabilities except to build space for them. More aesthetic than technical.
Well I'm going on vacation tomorrow, I'll see about going through them all and pulling out and summarizing relevant bits.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig »

No rush
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Well, here's my take on the Lancer.

I begrudge it its traditional "Frigate" rating - after all it's not even 2/3 the volume of a Vigil. But anyway. I tried to keep the traditional design cues, but tweaked the profile line to make it look less like a sex toy. The gun positions are provisional, but there are supposed to be 20 of them (only could ever find 18 on the old schematics, so improvised the last two). Mix of quadruple close-in defense lasers and paired light turbolaser/long-barrel laser cannon - make it more a useful small warship than just an antifighter platform.