Merkel supports Macron's proposal for a unified European Army to protect Europe from Russia, China, and the US.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Merkel supports Macron's proposal for a unified European Army to protect Europe from Russia, China, and the US.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

This was first raised in the Trump foreign policy thread, after Macron floated the idea ahead of Trump's visit to France, but it seems a significant enough development, particularly if it is gaining support from Germany as well France, to warrant its own thread:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... opean-army
Angela Merkel has said EU leaders should one day consider “a real, true European army” shortly after Donald Trump ramped up a Twitter attack on Emmanuel Macron over the same idea.

Speaking to the European parliament in Strasbourg, the German chancellor backed the bold step in European defence policy, as part of a speech extolling the need for EU cooperation in migration, climate change and counter-terrorism. “The times when we could rely on others is past,” she said.

To a mix of applause and jeers from Eurosceptic MEPs, she said: “We have to look at the vision of one day creating a real, true European army.” The chancellor said the idea would complement Nato, but gave no details on when the ambitious idea could become reality.

Advertisement

Her words echoed those of the French president, who in an interview said Europe needed to better defend itself.

Trump took umbrage at what he saw as a call by Macron for a European army as protection against the US, conflating earlier comments from the French president on cyber threats. The US president escalated his attack on Tuesday with a number of insulting tweets.

Nigel Farage, leader of the Eurosceptic group in the parliament, seized on Merkel’s remarks, claiming they showed the EU wanted to become an empire, while accusing the bloc of starting a cold war with the US. “I think Brexit becomes a necessity after this,” he said.

Merkel had earlier brushed aside heckling from Eurosceptic MEPs with a smile, saying the opposition showed she was in a parliament. “This is great, I am annoying some people,” she said.

During her 25-minute speech, the chancellor mentioned Brexit only once, describing it as a “deep wound”. She was echoed by the European commission president, Jean-Claude Juncker, who said Brexit was “a tragedy, a historical error [and] a mistake”.

Merkel was the 12th EU leader to address MEPs, as part of a series on the future of Europe, with six more scheduled before the European elections.

The theme of the speech was a call for solidarity, whether in defence, migration policy or for the EU to find a single voice on foreign policy. “Solidarity always means that we have to overcome national egoism,” she said, adding that it had taken Germany “far too long” to realise that refugee policy was a European issue.

Solidarity also required a commitment to the rule of law, she said, a coded reference to member states, such as Poland and Hungary, that stand accused by the EU institutions of backsliding on democratic values.

She was speaking shortly after Romania was given an unusually strong rebuke by the commission for “backtracking” on the fight against corruption and the creation of fully independent judiciary.

One of the EU’s newest member states, Romania has been on the EU’s critical list, since new laws changing the judiciary and abolishing some anti-corruption offences were introduced last winter, sparking mass street protests.

Romania, which will take over the EU’s rotating presidency from 1 January, was told to suspend a justice law that has been criticised by independent observers for violating judicial independence. Brussels also called on the Romanian government to re-start the process to appoint an independent anti-corruption prosecutor, after the previous one, was sacked.
Any of our European members care to comment on the feasibility of this, or what its larger effects might be?
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Merkel supports Macron's proposal for a unified European Army to protect Europe from Russia, China, and the US.

Post by Crazedwraith »

Hmm. You know when the Brexit referendum was still to come and the campaigns where still on going I had a stridently pro-brexit co-worker and one the reason he gave was that 'you young people will be conscripted into an EU Army to fight Russia if we don't leave'.

Now obviously this is a long way off that but it is closer than I ever expected to get.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Merkel supports Macron's proposal for a unified European Army to protect Europe from Russia, China, and the US.

Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-11-14 02:54am Hmm. You know when the Brexit referendum was still to come and the campaigns where still on going I had a stridently pro-brexit co-worker and one the reason he gave was that 'you young people will be conscripted into an EU Army to fight Russia if we don't leave'.

Now obviously this is a long way off that but it is closer than I ever expected to get.
You can thank the Leavers American and Russian friends for that.

Edit: Wow, France building an army with Germany, potentially to defend them from Russia and the US. We really have done a 180 from 1945, haven't we?
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Tiriol
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tiriol »

As long as most EU countries are tied to NATO, unlikely. However, if Trump manages to erode NATO's standing and prestige enough, there is a possibility that this will go through in the long run, if member states are fully committed. It depends on how much solidarity EU is able to muster and if a certain critical mass of favourable public opinion, resources allotted and political will can be achieved.
Confiteor Deo omnipotenti; beatae Mariae semper Virgini; beato Michaeli Archangelo; sanctis Apostolis, omnibus sanctis... Tibit Pater, quia peccavi nimis, cogitatione, verbo et opere, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! Kyrie Eleison!

The Imperial Senate (defunct) * Knights Astrum Clades * The Mess
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

It also depends on the credibility of a russian
/turkish threat.

The geopolitics being what it is, that huge long plain from france to russia will always be a place where a large mobile army can be very effective (compared to Scandinavia or crossing alps southwards).

Last decade or two there has been no capable army to sweep westwards. A russia that can afford to do so and a willingness to do so is still questionable, (the demographics of russia dont support it long term, even though they can survive economically as Chinas petrostate and quarry).
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

I can see a future where the Euroglot troops are deployed as "peacekeepers" in the Balkans trying to "support" some tin pot fascist voted in by people terrified of the sprawing tent city "on the other side of the fence"

Edit. But i think this may happen anyway, i just think troop deployment less likely if no consolidation of armies
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

I imagine France's WMDs will not fall under EU army control.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Tribble wrote: 2018-11-14 04:28pm I imagine France's WMDs will not fall under EU army control.
Not if Marcon wants to keep his head. The generals would scream bloody murder, even if no one else does.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-11-14 05:42pm
Tribble wrote: 2018-11-14 04:28pm I imagine France's WMDs will not fall under EU army control.
Not if Marcon wants to keep his head. The generals would scream bloody murder, even if no one else does.
Given that the US didn't go around handing out nukes to NATO members either... yeah, no, any WMDs held by member nations of most global organizations tend to stay in those countries. If nothing else, it looks bad to appear as though you're almost using WMDs as currency!
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Wasn't their a ton of US nukes in Europe during the Cold War?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Batman wrote: 2018-11-14 07:00pm Wasn't their a ton of US nukes in Europe during the Cold War?
And other non-nuclear nations like Canada, yes. But the nukes remained under control of the USA, not the countries that housed them.

Again I doubt a hypothetical EU army would have control of France's nukes.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

No discussion about the current EuroCorps units?

Admittedly I always thought of them as state level combined units tagged for use as part of the EU common defence treaties but the fact that there already exists a Franco-German brigade and other multi-nation units is basically halfway to a "European Army"
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Batman wrote: 2018-11-14 07:00pm Wasn't their a ton of US nukes in Europe during the Cold War?
Pershing IIs and, I think, Honest Johns before that. And Matador drone bombers/cruise missiles back in the 50s and 60s.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
Spoonist
Jedi Council Member

Post by Spoonist »

This concept is as old as the change from the Coal & Steel union to the Messina conference.

So it is old news but in a new political climate.

The concept has had limited political traction before since NATO has been seen as a more practical approach.
The last time it was a hot topic was during the Krimea and Ukraine crisis, where it was clear that the geopolitical landscape shifted regarding NATO and US.
So with continued current political shifts from the US then it follows that options to NATO are being talked about and political ideas tested again for traction.

Some references for the curious:

Here is the pleven plan from the 50's
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_es ... _Community

The balkan (Yugoslav) conflicts gave the rise of the
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Fo ... ity_Policy

But ignoring history and focusing on current affairs then there is currently three so called EU forces already in place

The Eurocorps "a force for EU and NATO"
https://www.eurocorps.org/
acting under article 42.3
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content ... A12008M042
"Article 42
3. Member States shall make civilian and military capabilities available to the Union for the implementation of the common security and defence policy, to contribute to the objectives defined by the Council. Those Member States which together establish multinational forces may also make them available to the common security and defence policy."

The European Military Committee
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_ ... _Committee
https://eeas.europa.eu/topics/crisis-re ... gencies_en

And within the PESCO
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permanent ... ooperation
you now have the growing initiative of what sometimes is called the EURFOR or euro force
https://www.consilium.europa.eu/media/3 ... -press.pdf

Etc.

There is also some military initiatives where non EU members are part of defensive strategies (what would be called pacts back in the old days). Switzerland and Norway being prime examples. But where some treaties with the Ukraine might be the most debated due to Russia.

It should be noted though that the above are mostly paper tigers and that the real power is in unilateral cooperation.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Interesting stuff Spoonist. Thankyou
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-11-15 02:44am
Pershing IIs and, I think, Honest Johns before that. And Matador drone bombers/cruise missiles back in the 50s and 60s.
More than that. Still have B61s in several countries, with those countries Air Forces trained and qualified to deliver them. American munitions troops in bases in those countries to put them on the planes, and hand over the arming instructions.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Did not know the Matador was still in service.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-11-18 09:55am Did not know the Matador was still in service.
B61 is a gravity bomb. The B-61 Matador was redesignated the MGM-1 in 1962, which is also the year it was retired.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Oh, okay. My bad.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

It is a good idea and follows several recent moves between Germany and France to consolidate defence projects, such as:
- Germany taking over the development of a joint Main Battle Tank
- France taking over the development of a joint new fighter aircraft

The main question underlying this is if it is a spur of the moment thing based on the fear of Trump and Putin, or whether it is a more serious shift of strategy. Much of that will depend on who the next US president will be.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

Thanas wrote: 2018-11-19 06:28am It is a good idea and follows several recent moves between Germany and France to consolidate defence projects, such as:
- Germany taking over the development of a joint Main Battle Tank
- France taking over the development of a joint new fighter aircraft

The main question underlying this is if it is a spur of the moment thing based on the fear of Trump and Putin, or whether it is a more serious shift of strategy. Much of that will depend on who the next US president will be.
I think that’s fair. But I think it’ll depend on more than that. It’s becoming pretty clear on our side of the pond that the rot is deeper than Trump, and the rotten are seemingly working to make it so when he goes they can polish the top and nobody will look any deeper. If we get a congressional root canal along with dumping Trump, I suspect Europe will be able to forgive (if not fully forget) should we say the right things.

If Trump goes and we pretend everything is back to normal, stick a fork in the relationship. Because it’s done.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Indeed. Trump is as dangerous as he is because he is being enabled by a majority of the Senate (and until January, the House), which is only possible because our electoral system is both obsolete and deliberately sabotaged.

But to give a sense of just how deep the rot goes, look no further than Illinois's third district. This is a district which is basically Chicago suburbs, which Republicans did not even try to contest because it was so Blue. Which is how an avowed Neo-Nazi and Holocaust denier who opposes interracial marriage and school segregation was able to get the Republican nomination in an uncontested primary. This was a fucker so bad that even Ted Cruz told Republicans to vote Democrat or do write-in votes rather than vote for him.

He got 25% of the vote. That might not sound so bad, but think about it: An avowed Neo-Nazi and Holocaust denier got 25% of the vote-over 50,000 votes-in one of the Bluest places in the country, when even someone as far Right and seemingly amoral as Ted Cruz was saying "nope, this is the line". And this happened in the most powerful country, with the most powerful military, in the world.

That should fucking terrify everyone.

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

FireNexus wrote: 2018-11-19 10:30amIf we get a congressional root canal along with dumping Trump, I suspect Europe will be able to forgive (if not fully forget) should we say the right things.

If Trump goes and we pretend everything is back to normal, stick a fork in the relationship. Because it’s done.
Able to forgive, sure. But should they?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Pragmatically? Yes. Because a US and Europe perpetually at each other's throats is not in anyone's best interests.

That said, speaking as an American and a globalist (of sorts), Europe should never again make the mistake of being dependent on the US for its basic security.

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Just some neocolonialists unhappy with the fact US does most of the plunder and attacks others unilaterally as it pleases.

So they want their seat at the plunder table, but they need a war machine to make themselves look strong and big.

We've been here before. It's Dr. Strangelove, and sorry but no love for the military.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali