A Traitor on the Enterprise! (Star Trek and Space Station 13)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

FancyDarcy
Youngling

Re: A Traitor on the Enterprise! (Star Trek and Space Station 13)

Post by FancyDarcy »

tezunegari wrote: 2018-10-13 06:49am
FancyDarcy wrote: 2018-10-13 05:55am Awww.. come on, this was supposed to be a fun and light hearted versus between a SS13 faction and Star Trek. Why does everyone have to intentionally rip the scenario to shreds, even when these events happen in Star Trek all the time?
Because your scenario is fundamentally flawed most likely because you have no real understanding of the Star Trek Franchise?

If it happens all the time in Star Trek you might want to watch the episodes where it happens and make notes about how they identified that something is wrong and how they stopped it.
So, SDN.et's version of Star Trek is one where all the major characters have somehow all the meta knowledge of everything that has happened either before or after their time? They don't know all of their mistakes yet, because the actual characters, Picard, Kirk, Data and the rest haven't actually watched the Star Trek Franchise and therefore haven't made those mistakes yet.

I mean, what about the Man Trap? In that episode, a changeling manages to absorb several crew members and transform into a redshirt, a generic engineer and even the infamous CMO MR. Bones McCoy and nobody notices him acting funny until they see him trying to absorb Mr. Bones in his quarters.

Even then, nobofy calls for a large security force and Kirk rushes in and gets disarmed and McCoy turns traitor or is mind controlled and the changeling VERY NEARLY absorbs Captain Kirk before McCoy suddenly weans off the mind control and shoots the changing. But just think... Spock, Kirk and the traitorous McCoy were the only people aware of the changeling.

Just imagine if McCoy Did Not snap out of it and instead shut his eyes and looked away as the changeling absorbed Kirk, then he'd probably absorb Spock or attempt to seduce him as his slave like McCoy, or simply transform into Kirk and have him arrested.

The Man Trap was probably one of the most dangerous episodes of a single, non-omnipotent, Klingon or Borg threat Kirk faced. Even the works Picard and Riker faced were a hivemind like the Borg and not an individual enemy. Pound for pound of flesh, the buffalo changeling was definitely one of the most dangerous threats to the Enterprise.

ThanksIf McCoy hadn't fired, excluding any sudden plot devices, that would have been the end of the Kirk crew and the beginning of a new, Conspiracy-like episode for Picard and Riker to investigate, perhaps.
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

I don't really know why I quoted my self back there... I think I wanted to edit my post and hit the quote button instead. Apologies for that.
FancyDarcy wrote: 2018-10-13 07:22am
FancyDarcy wrote: 2018-10-13 05:55am Awww.. come on, this was supposed to be a fun and light hearted versus between a SS13 faction and Star Trek. Why does everyone have to intentionally rip the scenario to shreds, even when these events happen in Star Trek all the time?
Because your scenario is fundamentally flawed most likely because you have no real understanding of the Star Trek Franchise?

If it happens all the time in Star Trek you might want to watch the episodes where it happens and make notes about how they identified that something is wrong and how they stopped it.
So, SDN.et's version of Star Trek is one where all the major characters have somehow all the meta knowledge of everything that has happened either before or after their time? They don't know all of their mistakes yet, because the actual characters, Picard, Kirk, Data and the rest haven't actually watched the Star Trek Franchise and therefore haven't made those mistakes yet.

I mean, what about the Man Trap? In that episode, a changeling manages to absorb several crew members and transform into a redshirt, a generic engineer and even the infamous CMO MR. Bones McCoy and nobody notices him acting funny until they see him trying to absorb Mr. Bones in his quarters.

Even then, nobofy calls for a large security force and Kirk rushes in and gets disarmed and McCoy turns traitor or is mind controlled and the changeling VERY NEARLY absorbs Captain Kirk before McCoy suddenly weans off the mind control and shoots the changing. But just think... Spock, Kirk and the traitorous McCoy were the only people aware of the changeling.

Just imagine if McCoy Did Not snap out of it and instead shut his eyes and looked away as the changeling absorbed Kirk, then he'd probably absorb Spock or attempt to seduce him as his slave like McCoy, or simply transform into Kirk and have him arrested.

The Man Trap was probably one of the most dangerous episodes of a single, non-omnipotent, Klingon or Borg threat Kirk faced. Even the works Picard and Riker faced were a hivemind like the Borg and not an individual enemy. Pound for pound of flesh, the buffalo changeling was definitely one of the most dangerous threats to the Enterprise.

ThanksIf McCoy hadn't fired, excluding any sudden plot devices, that would have been the end of the Kirk crew and the beginning of a new, Conspiracy-like episode for Picard and Riker to investigate, perhaps.
Yes the Salt Vampire nearly killed Kirk and only failed because it stopped using its hypnotic projection preventing McCoy to perceive Kirk suffering.
You know... that thing was supposed to be dangerous.
If not for that little mistake it might have won.
That's how you create tension in the episode.

But it took them less than a day to identify an intruder and stop it in that episode... the stardate only changes in the fractions part which usually implies time instead of date. The total body count of the Salt Vampire is 5. Darnell, Sturgeon and Green on the planet, Barnhart and Crater on the ship.

So... a single day to stop an intruder that can look like anyone, has a hypnotic projection that enthralls people to trust and/or assist the salt vampire or forget the last few seconds.

IMO not really a point in your favor.

And the criticism you get from SD.net comes from the contrived situation you created.
Simplify your infiltration plan.
Give a reason for why the Syndicate wants to infiltrate and damage Starfleet.
Have a reason for the Operative to be loyal to the Syndicate beyond "He's programmed to be angry at Starfleet".

And you would want to minimize anything that might identify your Syndicate Goon as such.
(The same reason why the Section 31 black-badge from Discovery is a bad joke.)
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
FancyDarcy
Youngling

Post by FancyDarcy »

tezunegari wrote: 2018-10-13 09:53am I don't really know why I quoted my self back there... I think I wanted to edit my post and hit the quote button instead. Apologies for that.
FancyDarcy wrote: 2018-10-13 07:22am

Yes the Salt Vampire nearly killed Kirk and only failed because it stopped using its hypnotic projection preventing McCoy to perceive Kirk suffering.

But it took them less than a day to identify an intruder and stop it in that episode... the stardate only changes in the fractions part which usually implies time instead of date. The total body count of the Salt Vampire is 5. Darnell, Sturgeon and Green on the planet, Barnhart and Crater on the ship.

So... a single day to stop an intruder that can look like anyone, has a hypnotic projection that enthralls people to trust and/or assist the salt vampire or forget the last few seconds.

And the criticism you get from SD.net comes from the contrived situation you created.
Have a reason for the Operative to be loyal to the Syndicate beyond "He's programmed to be angry at Starfleet".

And you would want to minimize anything that might identify your Syndicate Goon as such.
Yeah, the editing function on this website is broken and awful. Why is there a time limit, it's v only there to inspire fear and panic as you try to make enough "[/quote]"s so that your post doesn't appear as one giant quote which makes a messy OP filled with endquotes before the two or five minute editing window disappears. Often I run out of time to edit my post to make it look worker and sensible and it's just a shitty mess.

The only reason the buffalo changeling didn't win was because it wasn't too smart in it's alternate forms for some reason, instead of asking for the salt shaker it just drooled and slobbered at everyone and wandered around looking for an isolated person on their own. It couldn't have run out of salt, because there were still a couple of salt pills on the planet and it had absorbed three people, even if it got more salt from tablets than people, it could have just taken some salt pills along with it.

If the changeling didn't either act like a Moran on the Enterprise or run out of salt to power it's mindslave beam, if only it had carried some salt pills in it's pocket or asked one of the lovely ladies nicely for some delicious salt instead of drooling and groping, it probably wouldn't have run out of salt to power it's enthralling beam and McCoy wouldn't have shot it, and it would have absorbed Kirk, and probably enthralled Spock and McCoy and asked McCoy for a reliable supply of salt, and then it would have absorbed or enthralled the rest of the crew.

The only reason it was caught, was because it wasn't too competent when it transformed, for some reason. Therefore it wasn't the Enterprise crew being very competent, it was simply the 'ling being incompetent.

That's how the antagonism system works in TG SS13, though. You get to be a traitor, you get to run around and kill people for no reason, it's a low rolepkay server, you can just start boombing and shooting people out of the blue if you're a traitor antagonist.

The reason the Syndicate attacked the Enterprise in this manner was because Enterprise is already a fully staffed ship, so it's unlikely for any fresh recruits to be arriving, and the infamous Kirk was piloting the ship, who everyone, the Klingons for example want to claim his head for their personal trophy.

I thought this would be better received than my last thread with the Ishimura and the Enterprise. A man, with good knowledge of the layout, security systems, engineering functions of the ship suddenly it's a traitor. I'd imagine such a person would be capable of causing a great deal of damage. I thought it would be interesting. How would Kirk out muscle an emagged Data? How would Guian warn the command deck about a strange man decapitating all her patrons before it's too late? How would Redshirt Security respond to a man karate chopping their necks while their phasers set to DESTROY bounce garmlesdoy off?

I mean, the obscure species poster above mentions to provide a backstory for obscure species like space station 13, so I did that, so people would be familiarized.
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

FancyDarcy wrote: 2018-10-13 10:24am
tezunegari wrote: 2018-10-13 09:53am I don't really know why I quoted my self back there... I think I wanted to edit my post and hit the quote button instead. Apologies for that.
FancyDarcy wrote: 2018-10-13 07:22am So, SDN.et's version of Star Trek is one where all the major characters have somehow all the meta knowledge of everything that has happened either before or after their time? They don't know all of their mistakes yet, because the actual characters, Picard, Kirk, Data and the rest haven't actually watched the Star Trek Franchise and therefore haven't made those mistakes yet.

Yeah, the editing function on this website is broken and awful. Why is there a time limit, it's v only there to inspire fear and panic as you try to make enough "{/quote}"s so that your post doesn't appear as one giant quote which makes a messy OP filled with endquotes before the two or five minute editing window disappears. Often I run out of time to edit my post to make it look worker and sensible and it's just a shitty mess.

The only reason the buffalo changeling didn't win was because it wasn't too smart in it's alternate forms for some reason, instead of asking for the salt shaker it just drooled and slobbered at everyone and wandered around looking for an isolated person on their own. It couldn't have run out of salt, because there were still a couple of salt pills on the planet and it had absorbed three people, even if it got more salt from tablets than people, it could have just taken some salt pills along with it.

If the changeling didn't either act like a Moran on the Enterprise or run out of salt to power it's mindslave beam, if only it had carried some salt pills in it's pocket or asked one of the lovely ladies nicely for some delicious salt instead of drooling and groping, it probably wouldn't have run out of salt to power it's enthralling beam and McCoy wouldn't have shot it, and it would have absorbed Kirk, and probably enthralled Spock and McCoy and asked McCoy for a reliable supply of salt, and then it would have absorbed or enthralled the rest of the crew.

The only reason it was caught, was because it wasn't too competent when it transformed, for some reason. Therefore it wasn't the Enterprise crew being very competent, it was simply the 'ling being incompetent.

That's how the antagonism system works in TG SS13, though. You get to be a traitor, you get to run around and kill people for no reason, it's a low rolepkay server, you can just start boombing and shooting people out of the blue if you're a traitor antagonist.

The reason the Syndicate attacked the Enterprise in this manner was because Enterprise is already a fully staffed ship, so it's unlikely for any fresh recruits to be arriving, and the infamous Kirk was piloting the ship, who everyone, the Klingons for example want to claim his head for their personal trophy.

I thought this would be better received than my last thread with the Ishimura and the Enterprise. A man, with good knowledge of the layout, security systems, engineering functions of the ship suddenly it's a traitor. I'd imagine such a person would be capable of causing a great deal of damage. I thought it would be interesting. How would Kirk out muscle an emagged Data? How would Guian warn the command deck about a strange man decapitating all her patrons before it's too late? How would Redshirt Security respond to a man karate chopping their necks while their phasers set to DESTROY bounce garmlesdoy off?

I mean, the obscure species poster above mentions to provide a backstory for obscure species like space station 13, so I did that, so people would be familiarized.
I edited your quote because your quotation of the end-quote tag made quoting your quote quite difficult. (I will not apologies for this sentence unsing the word quote so often.)

The timelimit for edits exists so that you cannot retro-actively change your posts in a discussion. Otherwise you might change the first post in this thread and claim we are all idiots who didn't read your scenario correctly.

The idea of suddenly having a crewmember turn out to be a traitor is interesting but your convoluted way of making them a traitor is not.
Watch the Episode of TNG "The Game". That's how you turn someone into an Operative for your cause. It's clean and simple and only stopped because Wesley was more interested in Lt. Lefler and got suspicious when everyone started to play the game and tried to pressure both of them into playing, and the whole Data being sabotaged bit...

And I still want to know why the Syndicate hates the Federation and want to remove it from the Galaxy.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Fancy Poultry, Parts Sold Here wrote:The reason the Syndicate attacked the Enterprise in this manner was because Enterprise is already a fully staffed ship, so it's unlikely for any fresh recruits to be arriving, and the infamous Kirk was piloting the ship, who everyone, the Klingons for example want to claim his head for their personal trophy.
Even if red shirts weren't dying like dogs in every episode, Enterprise is a military ship, and transfers to and from the ship for various reasons are part of the military life. In fact, at least one TOS episode shows a newly arrived ensign reporting to the captain at episode's end.

So, yeah, there's plenty of potential for the Syndicate to infiltrate the Enterprise, without having to resort to the overly complicated bullshit scenario you proposed.

And, I'll say it again. In the original series, Kirk is just not that important. His reputation is largely an artifact of the movies.
How would Kirk out muscle an emagged Data?
He wouldn't, since they're not from the same era.
How would Guian warn the command deck about a strange man decapitating all her patrons before it's too late?
Guinan has a very respectable energy weapon behind the bar and would burn down the sword wielding psycho before he went Kurgan on more than one person.
How would Redshirt Security respond to a man karate chopping their necks while their phasers set to DESTROY bounce garmlesdoy off?
The standard phaser setting is stun in Starfleet service, security wouldn't let him get close enough to try that shit in the first place, the iron shirt discipline doesn't work that way, and red shirts are trained in hand to hand combat.

And, you Don't create a fun scenario by forcing the outcome.

Any more stupid questions?
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Here's the thing. I dont mind Archinist-level threads every now and then, as every village (and forum) needs its Idiot. But this should be more of "recurring guest star" appearance rather than a main character. There's now 3 Archinist level threads from this particular member going on over the past few days, and if he starts spamming it will start to get tiresome real quick.

My advice to FancyDarcy is: you have 3 Archinist threads on the go right now, we have plenty to work with now if you dont mind.
Last edited by Tribble on 2018-10-13 01:43pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

tezunegari wrote:The idea of suddenly having a crewmember turn out to be a traitor is interesting but your convoluted way of making them a traitor is not.
And one oft repeated in Star Trek. In fact, four Starfleet commanding admirals have turned traitor over the course of the franchise, three of their own accord.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

FancyDarcy wrote: 2018-10-13 05:55am Most of you are avoiding the epic battle between the Enterprise crew and the Traitor once he's bought his equipment. How will they stop someone who's immune to ranged weapons, can see people's heat signatures through walls like the predator, and can disguise himself as something like a cigarette butt, an empty bottle or a stack of documents with his chameleon projector?
If it gets to a battle, the Syndicate agent has already failed because the Enterprise crew is now aware of him. He will not be able to complete his goals.

If he wants to blow up the Enterprise, he just needs two things:
- Access to engineering. He's a junior engineer so he probably already has it.
- Something to breach the warp core. A phaser would be enough as it only needs to crack containment, the antimatter inside would do the rest.

Any piece of Syndicate equipment shows that he's working with marks him as up to something unusual. That raises everyone else suspicious, which is something any infiltrator wants to avoid where possible. Syndicate gear is something that might trip the internal sensors if external circumstances lead to internal sensors doing a sweep for whatever exotic particles Syndicate devices are putting out. Thus raising a threat to the infiltrators plans that the infiltrator has no way of knowing about until it's too late.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-10-12 05:26pm
Solauren wrote: 2018-10-12 05:21pm Yeah, this is more full of wholes then swiss chess that's been fired on by an AK-47.

In sickbay, Bones would examine him, and say 'There is no sign of Phaser stun'.

That would prompt a very detailed exam, and locate the device.

This would lead to the device being pulled, and his room searched, and the Tricorder or PADD being discovered.

And now Starfleet is aware of the Syndicate, the Syndicate doesn't know it, and they have this wonderful connection to Syndicate databases.

And that station is going to be put on lock down, and swarming with Starfleet security.

And god help the Syndicate if Kirk's shirt gets ripped along the way....
Two words: Mind meld.
I was showing the vulnerabilities in the scenario that existed based on rather simple Starfleet tech capabilities.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

I realize that, but the generic TOS formula calls for Spock to try a mind meld, despite often ignored cultural taboos against it.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-10-15 07:36pm I realize that, but the generic TOS formula calls for Spock to try a mind meld, despite often ignored cultural taboos against it.
Use the mind meld to remove the 'programming' from the poor crewman then.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Alas, this will be "Archinist/FancyDarcy's" final scenario given he is no longer among us due to his deep personal stupidity. May he always hold a special place in our hearts! :cry:
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Tribble wrote: 2018-10-18 11:21am Alas, this will be "Archinist/FancyDarcy's" final scenario given he is no longer among us due to his deep personal stupidity. May he always hold a special place in our hearts! :cry:
I would be surprised if this was the last time he would try to come.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

I have a sneaking suspicion that someone at Troll Kingdom is laughing at us.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-10-18 02:23pm I have a sneaking suspicion that someone at Troll Kingdom is laughing at us.
I dunno he seems too consistent to be just a troll having a laugh at our expense.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n