A Traitor on the Enterprise! (Star Trek and Space Station 13)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

FancyDarcy
Youngling

A Traitor on the Enterprise! (Star Trek and Space Station 13)

Post by FancyDarcy »

Somehow, a randomly chosen redshirt serving on the USS Enterprise has been targeted by a shady organization who are secretly a pact of anti Federation terrorists working under the guise of a trading company.

Bobby, a junior engineer and ex-security officer was relaxing in his quarters, when the familiar sound of something being beamed inside his office is heard and a strange black object appears on his bed. As the Enterprise had her Shields lowered due to her trading with the station, at first Bobby thinks that a glitch in the transporter caused the object to be teleported into his bedroom. Bobby flips open his radio and informs the bridge and moves forward the pick up the object to take a closer look.

Upon touching the object, there is a click and a sweet smelling odor wafts out. Intrigued, Bobby raises the device to his face, when the object suddenly springs up into the air, over his head and clamps on to the back of his upper neck, causing Bobby to yell out before he collapses.

Later, Bobby awakens in medbay and is told he was found unconscious inside his quarters with the burned remains of what appears to be a stun phaser next to him, suggesting the device might have misfired into Bobby and caught on fire. Bobby is returned into duty as the Big E pulls away from the trading station, however, as he steps into the elevator and sees a Starfleet signature on the wall, a deep, furious but calculated anger pools inside of him. Later that night, Bobby feels a powerful desire to check his personal tricorder, and enters a series of keystrokes into the device and us greeted by a solid click and a series of beeps. 'Agent Bobby, welcome to the intergalactic space syndicate, for a Federation-free Galaxy! To assist you with your mission, we have assigned you 40 credits on our Syndie Shop, full of useful shit to wreak havoc among the Feds!' A voice booms from the tricorder, and displays an evil looking red and black menu full of highly illegal and classified items for purchase.

For reference, here is the list of items Bobby is shown on his tricorder, which will be teleported to him silently, using a a very expensive exploit found in the Enterprise's transporter systems.

Items: https://tgstation13.org/wiki/Syndicate_Items

The syndicate has permitted Bobby to run wild and do whatever he pleases, however, the syndicate will reward Bobby with up to 100 extra credits (telecrystals) if he manages to impress them.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Re: A Traitor on the Enterprise! (Star Trek and Space Station 13)

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Tricorders don't have keyboards and aren't for personal use. PADDs, on the other hand, have virtual keyboards and are for personal use.

That aside, the most glaring error in this whole ridiculous scenario is a flagrant violation of the KISS principle. Why go through all that complicated, convoluted horseshit, when it is simpler for the syndicate to infiltrate their own agents into Starfleet's ranks, by having them either go through the Academy or enlisting directly...as the Orion Syndicate(mainly from DS9)already does?
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
FancyDarcy
Youngling

Post by FancyDarcy »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-10-12 02:01pm Tricorders don't have keyboards and aren't for personal use. PADDs, on the other hand, have virtual keyboards and are for personal use.

That aside, the most glaring error in this whole ridiculous scenario is a flagrant violation of the KISS principle. Why go through all that complicated, convoluted horseshit, when it is simpler for the syndicate to infiltrate their own agents into Starfleet's ranks, by having them either go through the Academy or enlisting directly...as the Orion Syndicate(mainly from DS9)already does?
Okay, it's a PADD then, I guess.

The idea is that the syndicate managed to teleport a mind control device into Bobby's cabins, where it implanted a device into Bobby's nervous system that made Bobby loyal to their cause. Mass raiding Starfleet's HQ with fake recruits would be too expensive and would make Starfleet's too aware of their existence, and then they would tighten up their recruitment thingies.

The syndicate wanted to stealthily infiltrate high class ships and property of Starfleet by controlling individual crewmen. I mean, trying to be recruited at Starfleet's HQ would be too obvious, most of the recruits wouldn't even be sent to a 'real' starship, just some tanker in the middle of nowhere.

That being said, I guess they probably would send a few agents through the recruitment process, but this is a different mission, as the Enterprise is no normal ship, it's the pride of the Federation. Even a malfunctioning, half empty Enterprise with Kirk is superior to any other Starfleet's ship. Plus, having a perfectly respectable crewman suddenly turning traitor out of the blue under the command of a terrorist organization is pretty scary.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

FancyDarcy wrote: 2018-10-12 03:18pm Plus, having a perfectly respectable crewman suddenly turning traitor out of the blue under the command of a terrorist organization is pretty scary.
Until you consider that they have dealt Kirk going evil at least three times.
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

Bobby: *suddenly feeling rage upon seeing the Starfleet insignia*
"What the hell is wrong with me? Better get to sickbay."

Sickbay.
"Doctor. Something strange happened just a few minutes ago. When I saw the Starfleet Insignia I felt a sudden rage towards it. Please give me a more thorough checkup. Whatever got beamed into my quarter must have done more than stun me."

Bobby has no loyalty to the syndicate and as a Starfleet officer he would find it strange to suddenly feel rage towards the very organization he joined out of his own will.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Fancy Poultry, Parts Sold Here wrote:The idea is that the syndicate managed to teleport a mind control device into Bobby's cabins, where it implanted a device into Bobby's nervous system that made Bobby loyal to their cause. Mass raiding Starfleet's HQ with fake recruits would be too expensive and would make Starfleet's too aware of their existence, and then they would tighten up their recruitment thingies.
Does not compute.

How is simple infiltration more expensive than going through the complicated steps of designing a mind control device, finding a vector through which to transport said device m then actually beaming the device into the ship, without tripping the internal sensors?

And, what can Starfleet possibly do to tighten recruitment standards against infiltrators? Ask them " are you now or have you ever been a member of an anti-federation terrorist organization?" and expect them to say "yes?"

Sure, they have verifier technology, but these seem to function solely along the lines of lie detectors which are in use now, and it is possible to fool a lie detector, especially if you are a stone cold sociopath.

Or profiling, which is sure to go over real well with the Feds, and will make it easier for the syndicate to infiltrate, once they have the copy of the red flag behaviors the Feds are screening for.
The syndicate wanted to stealthily infiltrate high class ships and property of Starfleet by controlling individual crewmen. I mean, trying to be recruited at Starfleet's HQ would be too obvious, most of the recruits wouldn't even be sent to a 'real' starship, just some tanker in the middle of nowhere.
Enough of the recruits would end up on line starships, and certainly if an Academy grad does well enough, he will be put on a front line starship.

Even those sent to rear echelon units will still be a position to do damage to the Feds, especially given how dependent any military(and Starfleet is a military organization) is dependent on its rear echelon.
That being said, I guess they probably would send a few agents through the recruitment process, but this is a different mission, as the Enterprise is no normal ship, it's the pride of the Federation.
TOS Enterprise is not considered any different from any other Starfleet heavy cruiser in original series Canon.
Even a malfunctioning, half empty Enterprise with Kirk is superior to any other Starfleet's ship
The same Kirk who would've been relieved of his command a hundred times over, in a RW military, for half the stupid shit he did, such as letting Khan sucker punch him in TWOK, or beaming down with every landing party mission? That Kirk?!.
Plus, having a perfectly respectable crewman suddenly turning traitor out of the blue under the command of a terrorist organization is pretty scary.
Oh, you mean like when many in Starfleet defected to the Maquis? Or all the other occasions where Starfleet personnel did everything from mutinying to overthrowing governments, to negligently homiciding their buddies and received little to no punishment for it?
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Why is Bobby ex-security ?
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

tezunegari wrote: 2018-10-12 04:36pm Bobby: *suddenly feeling rage upon seeing the Starfleet insignia*

Sickbay.
"Doctor. Something strange happened just a few minutes ago. When I saw the Starfleet Insignia I felt a sudden rage towards it. Please give me a more thorough checkup. Whatever got beamed into my quarter must have done more than stun me."

Bobby has no loyalty to the syndicate and as a Starfleet officer he would find it strange to suddenly feel rage towards the very organization he joined out of his own will.
Then there's the internal sensors and logs. Security would be at Ensign Hill's quarters faster than Kirk can swill Saurian brandy, possibly with Spock in tow.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

bilateralrope wrote: 2018-10-12 04:48pm Why is Bobby ex-security ?
He decided he was too pretty to die.
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-10-12 04:52pm
tezunegari wrote: 2018-10-12 04:36pm Bobby: *suddenly feeling rage upon seeing the Starfleet insignia*

Sickbay.

Then there's the internal sensors and logs. Security would be at Ensign Hill's quarters faster than Kirk can swill Saurian brandy, possibly with Spock in tow.
And at least by the time of Voyager Starfleet monitors and records brain activity in all crewmembers aboard a ship (though no automatic warning was given about strange readings when Tuvok was taken over by an energy being and Chakotay ended up disembodied and possessing different crew members like Paris)
U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-10-12 04:57pm
bilateralrope wrote: 2018-10-12 04:48pm Why is Bobby ex-security ?
He decided he was too pretty to die.
Or he was allergic to the detergent the security uniforms are washed with to make blood invisible on them. (You can't have your security be bloody that would mean they were fighting! We are not a military!)
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

He shouldn't take that long to report this incident. As soon as he sees the burnt device on his bed, he should be calling security. Especially if he remembers it attacking him.

Beaming a weapon into a random crew members quarters and having it catch fire is the kind of thing that could delay the Enterprise leaving the trading station to look for answers.

When Bobby finds that list of stuff he can purchase from the Syndicate, he's not going to order any of them if he's loyal to the Syndicate as he won't need any of it to breach the warp core. But he has no reason to be loyal to them, not after they fucked with his mind. Though if he's loyal to the Federation, he might order a few things to help the Enterprise catch the Syndicate. Beam over a few items then:
- Track where they were beamed from.
- Analyse them to see if they can figure out where they were made.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Yeah, this is more full of wholes then swiss chess that's been fired on by an AK-47.

In sickbay, Bones would examine him, and say 'There is no sign of Phaser stun'.

That would prompt a very detailed exam, and locate the device.

This would lead to the device being pulled, and his room searched, and the Tricorder or PADD being discovered.

And now Starfleet is aware of the Syndicate, the Syndicate doesn't know it, and they have this wonderful connection to Syndicate databases.

And that station is going to be put on lock down, and swarming with Starfleet security.

And god help the Syndicate if Kirk's shirt gets ripped along the way....
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

tezunegari wrote:And at least by the time of Voyager Starfleet monitors and records brain activity in all crewmembers aboard a ship (though no automatic warning was given about strange readings when Tuvok was taken over by an energy being and Chakotay ended up disembodied and possessing different crew members like Paris)
I was actually thinking about the sensors detecting the transporter signature.
Or he was allergic to the detergent the security uniforms are washed with to make blood invisible on them. (You can't have your security be bloody that would mean they were fighting! We are not a military!)
😂😂😂
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Solauren wrote: 2018-10-12 05:21pm Yeah, this is more full of wholes then swiss chess that's been fired on by an AK-47.

In sickbay, Bones would examine him, and say 'There is no sign of Phaser stun'.

That would prompt a very detailed exam, and locate the device.

This would lead to the device being pulled, and his room searched, and the Tricorder or PADD being discovered.

And now Starfleet is aware of the Syndicate, the Syndicate doesn't know it, and they have this wonderful connection to Syndicate databases.

And that station is going to be put on lock down, and swarming with Starfleet security.

And god help the Syndicate if Kirk's shirt gets ripped along the way....
Two words: Mind meld.
FancyDarcy
Youngling

Post by FancyDarcy »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-10-12 05:24pm
tezunegari wrote:And at least by the time of Voyager Starfleet monitors and records brain activity in all crewmembers aboard a ship (though no automatic warning was given about strange readings when Tuvok was taken over by an energy being and Chakotay ended up disembodied and possessing different crew members like Paris)
I was actually thinking about the sensors detecting the transporter signature.
The syndicate used a special transporter frequency that allowed them to beam the device onboard silently, similar to the crew disabling the Shields of the enemy ship in the wrath of Khan, they used a special code. The reason they limit the number of weapons agents like Bobby can take onboard is because they don't want to use the code too many times, as the crew might take notice and change the code.
U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-10-12 04:47pm
Fancy Poultry, Parts Sold Here wrote:The idea is that the syndicate managed to teleport a mind control device into Bobby's cabins, where it implanted a device into Bobby's nervous system that made Bobby loyal to their cause. Mass raiding Starfleet's HQ with fake recruits would be too expensive and would make Starfleet's too aware of their existence, and then they would tighten up their recruitment thingies.
How is simple infiltration more expensive than going through the complicated steps of designing a mind control device, finding a vector through which to transport said device m then actually beaming the device into the ship, without tripping the internal sensors?

And, what can Starfleet possibly do to tighten recruitment standards against infiltrators? Ask them " are you now or have you ever been a member of an anti-federation terrorist organization?" and expect them to say "yes?"

Sure, they have verifier technology, but these seem to function solely along the lines of lie detectors which are in use now, and it is possible to fool a lie detector, especially if you are a stone cold sociopath.
[/quote]

What about the truth serum they threatened to use on that guy on the strange planet who was housing a changeling who was sucking on crew members in The Man Trap?

Otherwise, they could simply ask more questions and make sure their papers all match up, ask them why they wanted to join Starfleet and, uh, I'm sure they could filter some bad guys out. I'm sure the 23rd century hasv some fancy look detector gadgets to help them out. Even if not, they could simply stop recruiting volunteers for a time, and either don't receive anyone at all, or teaching l randomly recruit people from randomised locations if they're interested.
Even those sent to rear echelon units will still be a position to do damage to the Feds, especially given how dependent any military(and Starfleet is a military organization) is dependent on its rear echelon.
How dependant is Starfleet on logistics and supply ships? I mean, I've never seen any of their ships need to be resupplied before, and those positions may not have the potential for destruction as the Enterprise has.
Even a malfunctioning, half empty Enterprise with Kirk is superior to any other Starfleet's ship
The same Kirk who would've been relieved of his command a hundred times over, in a RW military, for half the stupid shit he did, such as letting Khan sucker punch him in TWOK, or beaming down with every landing party mission? That Kirk?!.
Well, he's rescued the Federation and Starfleet on many occasions, such as in The Edge of the City of Forever, the trouble with Tribble, and some other times. Plus, only Kirk was available for the mission to rescue the hostages on the Planet of Galatic Peace out of the entirety of the Federation even when his ship was undermanned and half broken, and the Enterprise is always the ship that sees all the action, and is almost invincible as it never seems to lose a fight, even though it runs into many battles every few episodes.
Plus, having a perfectly respectable crewman suddenly turning traitor out of the blue under the command of a terrorist organization is pretty scary.
Oh, you mean like when many in Starfleet defected to the Maquis? Or all the other occasions where Starfleet personnel did everything from mutinying to overthrowing governments, to negligently homiciding their buddies and received little to no punishment for it?
[/quote]

It's still not the same as having a crewman turn traitor for literally no reason, the other times have been with a overwhelming force, or with some obvious telekinesis wielded by the opponent, while this leaves far less evidence. Imagine taking a visit to your employer or your good buddy only for him to suddenly blow your head off with a 357 magnum or chop you in half with a energy sword.

Sickbay.

From the point where Bobby falls unconscious and wakes up, he is 100 percent loyal to the syndicate and would throw his life away for their cause.

[/quote]
bilateralrope wrote: 2018-10-12 05:14pm
He shouldn't take that long to report this incident. As soon as he sees the burnt device on his bed, he should be calling security. Especially if he remembers it attacking him.
He reported the object beaming onto his bed as soon as it appeared, and the security team just took their time getting there. When they arrived, they asked Bobby to open the door, and upon getting no reply, they forced open the door and found an unconscious Bobby laying next to a pile of Ash and burned plastic on the floor, so they searched the place and took him to medbat.
When Bobby finds that list of stuff he can purchase from the Syndicate, he's not going to order any of them if he's loyal to the Syndicate as he won't need any of it to breach the warp core. But he has no reason to be loyal to them, not after they fucked with his mind. Though if he's loyal to the Federation, he might order a few things to help the Enterprise catch the Syndicate. Beam over a few items then:

The items will help him dearly ifv he finds himself in a pickle. For example, a dual energy sword would let him slaughter most of the ships crew who are lacking a melee weapon. A emag (from the Batman series, I think) will destroy any doors in his way, cause phasers to explode when fired and can be used on robots such as Data and disabled Borgs to subvert them to his cause and make them obey his every order.

[/quote]
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

FancyDarcy wrote: 2018-10-13 12:39am so they searched the place and took him to medbat.
Don't you mean hit him over the head with the medbat ?

For example, a dual energy sword would let him slaughter most of the ships crew who are lacking a melee weapon.
A gun vs sword fight. We all know how that should go.
A emag (from the Batman series, I think) will destroy any doors in his way, cause phasers to explode when fired and can be used on robots such as Data and disabled Borgs to subvert them to his cause and make them obey his every order.
A phaser could do all that, except maybe dealing with Borg. But they aren't present in this scenario.
FancyDarcy
Youngling

Post by FancyDarcy »

bilateralrope wrote: 2018-10-13 01:53am
FancyDarcy wrote: 2018-10-13 12:39am so they searched the place and took him to medbat.
Don't you mean hit him over the head with the medbat ?

For example, a dual energy sword would let him slaughter most of the ships crew who are lacking a melee weapon.
A gun vs sword fight. We all know how that should go.
A emag (from the Batman series, I think) will destroy any doors in his way, cause phasers to explode when fired and can be used on robots such as Data and disabled Borgs to subvert them to his cause and make them obey his every order.
A phaser could do all that, except maybe dealing with Borg. But they aren't present in this scenario.

I'm not sure, but I think the dual energy swords (lightsabres) have a 90 or 100 percent chance to block shots from energy guns which are similar to phasers and pulse rifles. It has an unreliable chance to deflect bullets as well.

There is also the martial arts scroll, which makes the user unable to use any ranged weapons, but provides robust protection from all ranged weapons and gives the user a variety of melee attacks. Sleepy pens can knock people unconscious for periods of time after poking them with a pen which is basically silent, no one is going to think jabbing someone with a pen is suspicious until it's too late. Then there's the romerol zombie poison which causes people to turn into George Romero style living deads after dying from other means, which require decapitation to destroy or even a medical tricorder that makes a burst of radiation into the victim.

A electromagnetic card can also make machines malfunction, such as letting the autolathes and food printers make poisoned food or containing evil parasites or whatever. It's an incredibly powerful tool all while looking like a ID card or credit card but with a bunch of wires and circuitry coming out of it.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Fancy Poultry, Parts Sold Here wrote:What about the truth serum they threatened to use on that guy on the strange planet who was housing a changeling who was sucking on crew members in The Man Trap?
No such animal. Kirk and McCoy were bullshitting to get the answers they wanted.
Otherwise, they could simply ask more questions and make sure their papers all match up, ask them why they wanted to join Starfleet and, uh, I'm sure they could filter some bad guys out. I'm sure the 23rd century hasv some fancy look detector gadgets to help them out. Even if not, they could simply stop recruiting volunteers for a time, and either don't receive anyone at all, or teaching l randomly recruit people from randomised locations if they're interested.
Attrition will make that last option a non starter. It also can't just recruit from carefully selected locations and not others without the Feds raising holy he'll about discrimination.

And uh, I'm sure the syndicate will school it's potential recruits into saying with Starfleet wants to hear. Also, making sure the paperwork is all legit should be no trouble for a syndicate which can whip up magic mushroom mind control devices,
The syndicate used a special transporter frequency that allowed them to beam the device onboard silently, similar to the crew disabling the Shields of the enemy ship in the wrath of Khan, they used a special code. The reason they limit the number of weapons agents like Bobby can take onboard is because they don't want to use the code too many times, as the crew might take notice and change the code.
The transporter energy will still trip the internal sensors. Your answer therefore does not compute.
Well, he's rescued the Federation and Starfleet on many occasions, such as in The Edge of the City of Forever, the trouble with Tribble, and some other times. Plus, only Kirk was available for the mission to rescue the hostages on the Planet of Galatic Peace out of the entirety of the Federation even when his ship was undermanned and half broken, and the Enterprise is always the ship that sees all the action, and is almost invincible as it never seems to lose a fight, even though it runs into many battles every few episodes.
None of which takes away from the fact Kirk was generally a piss poor example of what a skipper should be, and doesn't grow up til twenty years down the line, and at the cost of his best friend's life. Move along.

It's still not the same as having a crewman turn traitor for literally no reason, the other times have been with a overwhelming force, or with some obvious telekinesis wielded by the opponent, while this leaves far less evidence. Imagine taking a visit to your employer or your good buddy only for him to suddenly blow your head off with a 357 magnum or chop you in half with a energy sword
The point is Starfleet's dealt with this before. They even have infighting and political backstabbing.

From the point where Bobby falls unconscious and wakes up, he is 100 percent loyal to the syndicate and would throw his life away for their cause.
And, once again, you change the initial conditions to force the outcome you desire. You've already stated he isn't triggered til.he sees the Starfleet symbol in the turbolift.

Therefore, he isn't theirs until that happens,
The items will help him dearly ifv he finds himself in a pickle. For example, a dual energy sword would let him slaughter most of the ships crew who are lacking a melee weapon. A emag (from the Batman series, I think) will destroy any doors in his way, cause phasers to explode when fired and can be used on robots such as Data and disabled Borgs to subvert them to his cause and make them obey his every order.
Why would he need to purchase equipment at all, when he can simply use what's onboard the Enterprise to accomplish his mission? Constantly buying gear from the syndicate complicates matters further and increases the risk of his being discovered, whereas Ensign Hill has access to Enterprise's armory, engineering spaces, possibly even sickbay if he plays his cards right; thus he can cause mayhem aplenty without overly relying on outside aid.
He reported the object beaming onto his bed as soon as it appeared, and the security team just took their time getting there. When they arrived, they asked Bobby to open the door, and upon getting no reply, they forced open the door and found an unconscious Bobby laying next to a pile of Ash and burned plastic on the floor, so they searched the place and took him to medbat.
Security would not take their time getting there, they would be there ASAP the very instant the internal sensors detected the transporter beam, with Spock in tow, and Bones would not be so incompetent as to give Bobby a mere cursory examination, nor would he let him out of sickbay for a while, while Spock would be examining the ash with a fine toothed comb.

No matter how you try to force it, your bullshit scenario simply cannot happen,
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Fancy the reason people are calling you an "Archinist sockpuppet" is that you have the same insistance of us following the pre-set path you've chosen for us, when we call out things that are either badly out of character, stupid or just out right impossible, you pile of more Bullshit excuses to try to force us to walk the path you intend for us.

There's literally nothing of substance to discuss here since any points outside a very narrow path are instantly blocked because they're not what you want.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

Star Trek TOS 1.09 "Dagger of the Mind"

Star Trek TNG 4.24 "The Minds Eye"

Star Trek TNG 5.06 "The Game"

Star Trek TNG 5.15 "Power Play"

Star Trek DS9 2.14 "Whispers"

Star Trek VOY 1.13 "Cathexis"

Star Trek VOY 4.04 "Nemesis"

Star Trek VOY 7.04 "Repression"

Just to name a few episodes with similar plots or plot devices that use them better. Especially "The Minds Eye" and "Whispers".
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

FancyDarcy wrote: 2018-10-13 02:44am I'm not sure, but I think the dual energy swords (lightsabres) have a 90 or 100 percent chance to block shots from energy guns which are similar to phasers and pulse rifles. It has an unreliable chance to deflect bullets as well.
So these swords can see into the future a bit and take control of the person wielding them. Because that's the only way you'll be blocking phasers. The Syndicate has access to technology that powerful and they decide to stick it into fucking swords and nothing else ?

Won't this lead to some technobabble particle from the temporal manipulation ?
Something that's going to make Syndicate agents easy to spot as soon as Starfleet knows they need to start looking for idiots fucking with time.
There is also the martial arts scroll, which makes the user unable to use any ranged weapons, but provides robust protection from all ranged weapons and gives the user a variety of melee attacks.
Another piece of magic internal sensors can be set to look for. Blowing the cover of any future Syndicate agents before they get a chance to do anything. While doing nothing to help them cause problems for Starfleet.
Sleepy pens can knock people unconscious for periods of time after poking them with a pen which is basically silent, no one is going to think jabbing someone with a pen is suspicious until it's too late.
Having a pen would be suspicious on the Enterprise because they don't use pens. So another thing to look for to identify and stop agents before they do anything.
Then there's the romerol zombie poison which causes people to turn into George Romero style living deads after dying from other means, which require decapitation to destroy or even a medical tricorder that makes a burst of radiation into the victim.
Have you seen what a high powered phaser shot does to someone ?
Those zombies are not going to be a threat. Shoot them on stun, they don't go down. Shoot them on kill, they get back up. Shoot them on vaporize, they go away.
A electromagnetic card can also make machines malfunction, such as letting the autolathes and food printers make poisoned food or containing evil parasites or whatever. It's an incredibly powerful tool all while looking like a ID card or credit card but with a bunch of wires and circuitry coming out of it.
Another piece of tech that's going to mark Syndicate agents as Syndicate agents while not helping them. Not when Starfleet already has shitty computer security.
FancyDarcy
Youngling

Post by FancyDarcy »

Awww.. come on, this was supposed to be a fun and light hearted versus between a SS13 faction and Star Trek. Why does everyone have to intentionally rip the scenario to shreds, even when these events happen in Star Trek all the time? Even in real life, professionals are not always hyper-competent to the point they never make mistakes. So what, Bones only have him a quick check up?

Syndicate mind control devices are probably hidden and painted so that can't be detected easily on x Ray's and have the be spotted manually with exploratory surgery.

As for the energy sword, it probably just forms a energy shield around the user which blocks the phaser shots. UP mentioned the idea of KISS earlier, so a simple force field or telekinesis or some sort b of intercepting laser from the sword would be more likely than a time travel device.

Martial arts scrolls are simply rolled up pieces of paper with writing and presumably arcane arts inside. How are they going to show up on s scanner, unless they have a warp signature or something?

Picard also dodged a phaser shot after it was fired in the episode of Conspiracy, so unless that was somehow just a "one off outlier", maybe phasers don't travrl too quickly?

The zombies won't be a major threat once people work out how to kill them, but they'll be pretty demoralizing for the crew to be killing what looks to be their own crew, especially since the zombies might be talking like normal crew or might not be, it's been a while since I've played SS13, so I'm not sure if the zombies in TG can speak or not. thanks

The Federation doesn't use pens at all? Not even for their touch based devices? Typing long sentences and pressing small buttons on the screen must be a pain, then.

I just picked the SS13 Syndicate because they're made up of many different science fiction equipments and plots, there's things from Star Trek/Wars, Batman, Alien, possibly System Shock and a bunch of other sci-fis. For example, there's giant lifting/mining robots called RIPLEY'S like the Ripley mech from Aliens, there's actual purple xenomorphs ripped straight from Alien, there's flamethrowers and "phasers" which due to gameplay balancing are more akin to a modern day Glock with a high capacity taser strapped underneath.

There's even stuffed toys of space monster fish which turn into the real thing when sprayed with a fire extinguisher or water.

Most of you are avoiding the epic battle between the Enterprise crew and the Traitor once he's bought his equipment. How will they stop someone who's immune to ranged weapons, can see people's heat signatures through walls like the predator, and can disguise himself as something like a cigarette butt, an empty bottle or a stack of documents with his chameleon projector?

How about a SS13 shadowling, or a bunch of Morphs or Swarmers or a blood cult? SS13 factions are balanced by gameplay, so I would have expected them to make for an interesting versus. :(
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

FancyDarcy wrote: 2018-10-13 05:55am Awww.. come on, this was supposed to be a fun and light hearted versus between a SS13 faction and Star Trek. Why does everyone have to intentionally rip the scenario to shreds, even when these events happen in Star Trek all the time?
Because your scenario is fundamentally flawed most likely because you have no real understanding of the Star Trek Franchise?

If it happens all the time in Star Trek you might want to watch the episodes where it happens and make notes about how they identified that something is wrong and how they stopped it.
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

tezunegari wrote: 2018-10-13 06:49am
FancyDarcy wrote: 2018-10-13 05:55am Awww.. come on, this was supposed to be a fun and light hearted versus between a SS13 faction and Star Trek. Why does everyone have to intentionally rip the scenario to shreds, even when these events happen in Star Trek all the time?
Because your scenario is fundamentally flawed most likely because you have no real understanding of the Star Trek Franchise?

If it happens all the time in Star Trek you might want to watch the episodes where it happens and make notes about how they identified that something is wrong and how they stopped it.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

When making a versus scenario you need rather good understanding on how that universe works or you end up with scenario that's just stupid and relies on characters and organizations acting badly out-of-character.

Having something be "fun and light hearted" is no excuse for lack of quality and when people point out that your scenario is fundamentally flawed maybe you should consider rethinking and adjusting the scenario in such a way it's no longer fundamentally flaw rather then trying to excuse the obvious flaws.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n