Should I try out Star Trek Online?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Should I try out Star Trek Online?

Post by The Romulan Republic »

It is unfortunate that some people apparently don't understand that adapting something to a different artistic medium inevitably requires substantial changes, no matter how "faithful" to the original work the creators intend it to be.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-07-06 05:51pm It is unfortunate that some people apparently don't understand that adapting something to a different artistic medium inevitably requires substantial changes, no matter how "faithful" to the original work the creators intend it to be.
There's also the matter that "screen accurate" even if it was 100% screen accurate wouldn't look the same as it did in the series as the production crew of the series had total control over what they showed the audience and how they showed it. Not mention that field of view on TV camera is much more narrow then the FoV in most games so you get a better picture of just how big a space is with a game.

That said early in STO the devs did go overboard with the upscaling it's something they've admitted themselves too and are slowly downscaling things to a more reasonble scale, the 150% of screen accurate used for the DS9, Intrepid (from the C-store pack) and GCS (again the new special one) interiors. Though I suspect it'll take a while if ever for the 100% Cryptic creations to be changed that scale.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Man, I have to rewatch some DS9 episodes to remind myself of the exact scale of the station.

Starship interiors have always been far larger than they need to be, relative to the size of the characters within them. The problem has always been what to do with the camera when you're in the tight confines of a corridor.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2018-07-06 08:00pm Man, I have to rewatch some DS9 episodes to remind myself of the exact scale of the station.

Starship interiors have always been far larger than they need to be, relative to the size of the characters within them. The problem has always been what to do with the camera when you're in the tight confines of a corridor.
It'll look slightly bigger onscreen, due to the factors I've mentioned, that said STO devs had the official blueprints for the sets (it's something they've mentioned several times) and countless photos so it's unlikely they'd screw up something so obvious as the scale of the sets.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Lord Revan wrote: 2018-07-09 02:33am
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2018-07-06 08:00pm Man, I have to rewatch some DS9 episodes to remind myself of the exact scale of the station.

It'll look slightly bigger onscreen, due to the factors I've mentioned, that said STO devs had the official blueprints for the sets (it's something they've mentioned several times) and countless photos so it's unlikely they'd screw up something so obvious as the scale of the sets.
They put the Klingons, Romulans and most of the Federation in the beta quadrant. When DS9 constantly referred to them as Alpha Quadrant powers. If they can get the main factions in the wrong quarter of the galaxy, I wouldn't put it past them to screw up the scale of sets.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

bilateralrope wrote: 2018-07-09 06:23am
Lord Revan wrote: 2018-07-09 02:33am

They put the Klingons, Romulans and most of the Federation in the beta quadrant. When DS9 constantly referred to them as Alpha Quadrant powers. If they can get the main factions in the wrong quarter of the galaxy, I wouldn't put it past them to screw up the scale of sets.
*shrugs* to a large degree they redrew the old Trek map to accommodate the game, where at least in the initial storyline, Klingons are in another expansionist phase and the Romulans have also spread all over the place. The stuff with the Dyson Sphere, the Undine, and Iconians added in the Delta Quadrant, and now they've brought in the Gamma with the Dominion. Redrawing the map can be excused as, I dunno, a re-calibration of the old Federation star charts or whatever.

The sets are a more egregious problem that have been a thing since the start. We are talking shuttles with a 20-foot-tall interior... to a degree you can't really avoid some distortion because of the third-person camera settings, but come on.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

bilateralrope wrote: 2018-07-09 06:23am They put the Klingons, Romulans and most of the Federation in the beta quadrant. When DS9 constantly referred to them as Alpha Quadrant powers. If they can get the main factions in the wrong quarter of the galaxy, I wouldn't put it past them to screw up the scale of sets.

That's not unique to STO, background material has put the Klingons and Romulans in the Beta Quadrant for ages. There are even some references
in canon
admittedly mostly in newer works.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Well the Phoenix Prize Pack has made a welcome return, which is going to cause the exchange rate to plummet. While most of my toons have (re)built their refined dil reserves to previous levels that I can buy another thousand or so I'm not going to need anywhere near that many. I just need to work out how many I'll need to fully upgrade my newest Jem'Hadar toon. Said toon has just made it to level 5 in the newest rep, so time to crank out 10 sponsorship tokens so the rest of my roster can benefit.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Well Age of Discovery is up and apart from few bugs it's been nice so far

Also (spoilers for the AoD storyline) Spoiler
We might have seen what caused the USS Glenn to make the spore jump that sealed its fate. During the mission "secrets" the klingons board the USS Glenn and steal some data leading the Glenn to chase after them, it's possible that the Glenn risked an "unguided" spore jump to catch up to the klingons (as "ripper" had busted out of the containment in engineering).
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

It was disappointing that before the last Phoenix event there was no upgrade weekend, so all those who had gotten upgrade tokens last time round didn't have the incentive to use them, meaning less demand for packs this time round. Net result was no drop in the exchange rate this time- and with the new content it's only going to go up in the meantime.

Looks like I'll have to see some Discovery to really get the most out of it. Had to whip up another character to play through the new gamestart- I'm up to twelve now. The 6th level on reps is a real click-fest, it means kicking off assignments for each character individually for each rep. If there was a way to automate the process that would be really handy, doing the maths it'll take a full month to get the 150,000 points needed to get from tier 5 to 6 (all pre-existing toons are currently at 5); the new one will take 50 days.

At least because I have a shared bank with lots of surplus weaponry my new toon won't be short on firepower, she just needs to level up sufficiently to use it! :mrgreen:
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2018-10-09 08:54pm It was disappointing that before the last Phoenix event there was no upgrade weekend, so all those who had gotten upgrade tokens last time round didn't have the incentive to use them, meaning less demand for packs this time round. Net result was no drop in the exchange rate this time- and with the new content it's only going to go up in the meantime.

Looks like I'll have to see some Discovery to really get the most out of it. Had to whip up another character to play through the new gamestart- I'm up to twelve now. The 6th level on reps is a real click-fest, it means kicking off assignments for each character individually for each rep. If there was a way to automate the process that would be really handy, doing the maths it'll take a full month to get the 150,000 points needed to get from tier 5 to 6 (all pre-existing toons are currently at 5); the new one will take 50 days.

At least because I have a shared bank with lots of surplus weaponry my new toon won't be short on firepower, she just needs to level up sufficiently to use it! :mrgreen:
I've been considering to change my main to phaser build so I might give those weapons to my DSC char.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2018-10-09 08:54pm

Jesus Christ. I was planning to cut down my playing once I got most gear I level 15 epic. Actually I am still am, but occasionally I will upgrade to the level 6 rep for my three toons.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

mr friendly guy wrote: 2018-10-10 06:31am
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2018-10-09 08:54pm

Jesus Christ. I was planning to cut down my playing once I got most gear I level 15 epic. Actually I am still am, but occasionally I will upgrade to the level 6 rep for my three toons.
Exactly as they did with AoY, as soon as your character is done with the first segment you're brought straight to the 25th century by way of Daniels and the temporal observatory. At least thanks to unlocking stuff with my other toons I can get a head start on the rep marks.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Whatever happened to the red alert borg and red alert Tholians. They are my usual go to when I need to do x damage with an energy type for the bonus task.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Before they nerfed the accessibility (now they only appear as 'special events' over the weekend), they nerfed both the XP and mark payouts. You can imagine the backlash on the forums.

The climb from rep tier 5 to 6 is almost done, just one more round of dailies after today and then I'll have access to whatever goodies are available at that tier. It's just as well that I stockpiled my marks, only converting to dil when there is some ore shortfall otherwise I'd have been forced into the ridiculous situation with the PvE queue system.

My new Discovery toon isn't exactly well-levelled, as far as I can tell the only unique feature is the (completely cosmetic) user interface, like with the AoD character there's no end-game stuff as of yet.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2018-11-06 03:38pm Before they nerfed the accessibility (now they only appear as 'special events' over the weekend), they nerfed both the XP and mark payouts. You can imagine the backlash on the forums.

The climb from rep tier 5 to 6 is almost done, just one more round of dailies after today and then I'll have access to whatever goodies are available at that tier. It's just as well that I stockpiled my marks, only converting to dil when there is some ore shortfall otherwise I'd have been forced into the ridiculous situation with the PvE queue system.

My new Discovery toon isn't exactly well-levelled, as far as I can tell the only unique feature is the (completely cosmetic) user interface, like with the AoD character there's no end-game stuff as of yet.
There's no unique end game content for AoD toon just like there's none for AoY, there's new end game content coming but it's non-unique. (my AoD toon is past level 60 now).

It's best to consider the AoY and AoD factions as sub-factions of Starfleet with unique tutorials.
houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

Lord Revan wrote: 2018-11-06 10:22pmThere's no unique end game content for AoD toon just like there's none for AoY, there's new end game content coming but it's non-unique. (my AoD toon is past level 60 now).

It's best to consider the AoY and AoD factions as sub-factions of Starfleet with unique tutorials.
AoY captains have the Mk XIII rep gear perk, did they do anything similar for AoD?
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

houser2112 wrote: 2018-11-07 08:00am
Lord Revan wrote: 2018-11-06 10:22pmThere's no unique end game content for AoD toon just like there's none for AoY, there's new end game content coming but it's non-unique. (my AoD toon is past level 60 now).

AoY captains have the Mk XIII rep gear perk, did they do anything similar for AoD?
No recruitment event, you just make one and that is it.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Lord Revan wrote: 2018-11-07 10:40am
houser2112 wrote: 2018-11-07 08:00am

No recruitment event, you just make one and that is it.
This weekend is both a Phoenix Prize Pack and an item upgrade event, obviously timed to coincide with players reaching Tier 6 in the rep system. It's already brought the dil:zen exchange rate down to what it was before the AoD expansion, though because it's a combination upgrade and Phoenix event, demand for refined dilithium is only half what it would be otherwise. I'll wait until further in to see if the price drops any more before buying any Zen.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Anyone tried the new Her'c ships? They use a phasic harmonic weapon. What is a phasic harmonic weapon anyway? I mean energy types, is it a phaser or disruptor.

My fed tactical toon could benefit from a carrier ship, but Jesus christ they are expensive. 1.4 billion on the exchange. :lol: Its cheaper to buy from a gold farmer than to buy the EC.

mr friendly guy
The Doctor

So decided to start getting my tactical toon a carrier, the Hur'q carrier, but I can't afford that at the moment.

So I started with using lock box keys to get lobi crystals which its discounted. So I got some nice goodies to help with my future carrier plans.

1. Crossfield ship - use its starship trait (black alert) and allow me to create a temporal duplicate with beam overload (got a few other beam overload traits as well).
- also its teleporting console could be useful.
Especially when I use superweapon ingenuity to boost beam overload already.

2. Hur'q science ship - so its phasic harmonic weapons are phasers. Fortunately I got enough phoenix upgrade tokens (used around half) and upgraded some phasic harmonic weapon beam arrays, other phaser arrays and I got enough weapons for all slots. Not sure about what torpedoes to use, but I tried the Kentari one as I never used it before.
Its Hive bearer trait also gives an extra swarmer.

3. Universal deconstructive resonance emitter console - boosts phasers by 15% and kinetic damage by 15%. Might not make the cut for my carrier, but worth looking at.

4. Hive defense trait which gives me 15% chance to summon a swarmer if damaged. Swarmers last 45 seconds and can summon 3 at a time for a max of 9. This is a space trait so doesn't take up space for starship traits.

Tentatively I could use superweapon ingenuity (already have it), Hive bearer trait (need to train my Hur'q sci ship to get it), Black Alert (need to train my crossfield ship), scramble fighter ( 168 million EC) and I have on trait spot left for my planned carrier. I also have the phased device which summons hur'q swarmers.

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Didn't fancy the Jupiter? My tac toon kitted one out with the Quantum Phase Applications set released at the same time. Owing to its size I named it the Beluga and equipped it with the Tholian Widow and Reman Scorpion fighters I picked up some time prior. It was more fun than I expected to fly once I'd given its agility a boost! :mrgreen:
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Yeah, I'm a proponent of the Jupiter as well. It's my flagship in-game.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2018-11-11 11:55am Didn't fancy the Jupiter? My tac toon kitted one out with the Quantum Phase Applications set released at the same time. Owing to its size I named it the Beluga and equipped it with the Tholian Widow and Reman Scorpion fighters I picked up some time prior. It was more fun than I expected to fly once I'd given its agility a boost! :mrgreen:
My primary toon flies the fleet version of the Jupiter. I am trying to get the tactical toon different ships for variety. Although if I can't afford the Hur'q carrier, I can just settle for the Jupiter.

mr friendly guy
The Doctor

I am trying to play foundry missions and nothing turns up. I have heard after large patches the foundry is shut down, but why did they give a mission to complete foundry missions. Jesus.