What are your favorite fan theories (possible spoilers)?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: What are your favorite fan theories (possible spoilers)?

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Solauren wrote: 2018-08-26 08:12am
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-08-25 08:12pm
Solauren wrote: 2018-08-05 11:51am With Padme....

I'm of mind that Anakin was subconciously using the Force to keep her from dying (thereby having discovered the power he wanted without realizing it).
That weakened him to the point he couldn't clear Obi-wan when he jumped.

When he was on the operating table, Anakin cut the link due to the pain he was in, and then Padme died.

He go the power he wanted by joining the Dark Side, but ultimately sacrificed it, and her, for his own survival.
Just gone back over this thread and realized that this doesn't really work. IIRC, didn't the med droids say that she was not seriously injured, as far as they could tell? So there would be no reason for her to die when the link was severed, unless the droids screwed up their diagnosis anyway.
Okay, what if he reversed the link then? His powers were healing her of the damage she'd taken from the Force Choke (which we've seen kill), fully by the time he was about to jump, but that drained him so he didn't make then jump.

Annd then when his life was in danger (arguably far greater danger), it reversed and drained her?
Yeah, I've seen that one before. I suppose the feasibility of it depends on weather one can use the Force at that level subconsciously (unless you are suggesting that Anakin deliberately drained Padme's life to save himself).
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Here's a Star Trek one: The discovery of Gangster Planet and it's eventual inclusion into the Federation lead to an interest in 1930s pop culture, hence Picard's liking of Dixon Hill (written in the 30s and 40s), and Tom Paris's Captain Photon (written currently, but in the style of 1930s pulp SF serials).
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Q99 wrote: 2018-09-10 03:10pm Here's a Star Trek one: The discovery of Gangster Planet and it's eventual inclusion into the Federation lead to an interest in 1930s pop culture, hence Picard's liking of Dixon Hill (written in the 30s and 40s), and Tom Paris's Captain Photon (written currently, but in the style of 1930s pulp SF serials).
I like that one. :)

Here's another Trek one:

Kes's psychic powers eventually allowed her to transcend the limitations of the Ocampan life span.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-09-13 09:48pm

Here's another Trek one:

Kes's psychic powers eventually allowed her to transcend the limitations of the Ocampan life span.
Honestly psychic-Ocampa living longer is about the only way they make sense as a species. Because as we know them, they live for 7 years, have one reproductive cycle in that period, and have single births.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Q99 wrote: 2018-09-14 01:05pm

Here's another Trek one:

Honestly psychic-Ocampa living longer is about the only way they make sense as a species. Because as we know them, they live for 7 years, have one reproductive cycle in that period, and have single births.
And the baby is born on their back head-down IIRC.

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if Q was just screwing around just to throw off evolutionary biologists.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I read an interesting tumblr post that compared Rey's training moves with Kylo's actual fight moves and theorised she'd gain some of his skills trough their mind link and that was part of the reason Luke was freaked out by her because recognised Ben's moves.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Tribble wrote: 2018-09-14 04:25pm
Q99 wrote: 2018-09-14 01:05pm

Here's another Trek one:

And the baby is born on their back head-down IIRC.

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if Q was just screwing around just to throw off evolutionary biologists.
9 years, but yeah.

I'd say Ocampan biology is evidence that God in the Trek-verse is a complete dick. Which since Trek God is basically Q... yeah. :D
Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-09-14 05:41pm I read an interesting tumblr post that compared Rey's training moves with Kylo's actual fight moves and theorised she'd gain some of his skills trough their mind link and that was part of the reason Luke was freaked out by her because recognised Ben's moves.
I thought that was actual (EU) canon? At least her gaining knowledge through the mind link from Kylo.

Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

I definitely feel she picked up her mind-trick skill from the first-hand experience of it being used directly on her. And the form she used in training on the rock was quite similar to the attack sequence Kylo used on Luke.

It is, iirc, old EU canon that Luke learned his saber skills by mimicing Vader to an extent.
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-09-14 05:41pm I read an interesting tumblr post that compared Rey's training moves with Kylo's actual fight moves and theorised she'd gain some of his skills trough their mind link and that was part of the reason Luke was freaked out by her because recognised Ben's moves.
That's been partly canonized by the novelization of The Force Awakens... at least to explain her sudden proficiencey in using the force in the movie.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

I... actually dont have much of a problem with Rey's first fight with Kylo. He was emotionally broken after killing Solo, had been shot by Chewie and was bleeding out, and had just fought Fynn... so it's not like he was anything near his peak. Not only that, it was clear he was reluctant to kill Rey as he saw her as a potential apprentice while she was determined to kill him. And it was implied that Rey at least flirted with the Dark Side during the fight and only pulled back at the last minute.

Still, I lived how Snoke called him out on it later.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Yeah, Kylo in that fight is completely crippled, both physically and (probably more damaging to a Force user) psychologically.

Edit: probably the only really good evidence we have of his ability when he's at his best is the TLJ throne room fight, where he is not injured and was mentally together enough to outmaneuver Snoke.

Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

Here's one for the Babylon 5 fans out there, that actually makes Season 5 a little more interesting to watch:

Byron was the leader of a Branch Davidian-esque telepath cult. Everyone in the group wears conservative, largely mono-chromatic clothing. Almost everyone has long hair (certain religious groups forbid hair cutting). Almost none of them outside of Byron talk (except the ones with speech impediments and the ones who "break away" from him, but more on that in a sec). He uses classic cult recruitment tactics in his early interactions with Lyta, isolating her from the other people on the station.

He recognized that Lyta was powerful, but at the beginning was only interested in recruiting her as a particularly powerful trophy for his harem. And yeah, I'm saying he definitely had a harem going with how they all acted around each other. Charismatic cult leaders almost always have harems, as well. However, when he finally succeeded and had sex with Lyta, the connection made him realize the extent of her power and learn the truth about Vorlon genetic engineering, and so he decided to radicalize her and turn her into a weapon against the Psi Corps.

When using that information about the Vorlons to advocate for a homeworld, he immediately resorts to a strategy designed to turn opinion against them, forcing them to either hole up in Down Below or scatter throughout the station and starting fighting. As such, my theory is that the ones who "break away" from Byron and scatter did so with Byron's blessing, since causing unrest on the station would result in Babylon 5 turning to Bester for help, which would result in the further raising of tensions.

Then, after the hostage crisis in Medbay, Byron negotiates the release of the peaceful protestors and the "surrender" of the violent ones to station security, knowing full well that Bester would interfere, provoke a conflict, and allow the group to martyr themselves. Evidence of this: all of the telepaths who were supposedly peacefully surrendering to security showed up armed. He passes the reins of the cult off to Lyta, martyrs himself and the rest of the followers who fought by blowing them all up, and sets up Lyta to radicalize the peaceful protestors who were allowed to leave the station, turning them into the base for an army she will build in an attempt to violently overthrow the Psi Corps.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

It was a shame the Telepath's War was cut short. So much more could have been done with Byron and his escapees.

I always wondered if Byron might have been one of the last of the Shadow-touched. Someone promised his widest dream....
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I think it's possible that Byron was a bit like Matthew Stoner(Talia's ex-husband), in that he was a Psi Corps experiment to be able to influence people via superpowered empathy. Only he retained his telepathic powers. This explains why whenever he's in the same room as a main character, they can never give a real retort, just shut up and take it.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Tribble wrote: 2018-09-17 04:36pm I... actually dont have much of a problem with Rey's first fight with Kylo. He was emotionally broken after killing Solo, had been shot by Chewie and was bleeding out, and had just fought Fynn... so it's not like he was anything near his peak. Not only that, it was clear he was reluctant to kill Rey as he saw her as a potential apprentice while she was determined to kill him. And it was implied that Rey at least flirted with the Dark Side during the fight and only pulled back at the last minute.

Right, I kinda feel a lot of the people complaining weren't paying attention, they did a really good job of showing how messed up Kylo was- and the fact he was overpowering most of the fight despite that is impressive.
Tiriol
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tiriol »

Q99 wrote: 2018-10-06 09:21pm
Tribble wrote: 2018-09-17 04:36pm I... actually dont have much of a problem with Rey's first fight with Kylo. He was emotionally broken after killing Solo, had been shot by Chewie and was bleeding out, and had just fought Fynn... so it's not like he was anything near his peak. Not only that, it was clear he was reluctant to kill Rey as he saw her as a potential apprentice while she was determined to kill him. And it was implied that Rey at least flirted with the Dark Side during the fight and only pulled back at the last minute.

Right, I kinda feel a lot of the people complaining weren't paying attention, they did a really good job of showing how messed up Kylo was- and the fact he was overpowering most of the fight despite that is impressive.
True. Kylo's mental balance was off from the very start with him almost worshipping Vader's helmet and what-not. Add sudden appearance of a girl who manages to turn Kylo's mind probe back at him (and reveals some of his worst fears - not being able to live up to the Dark Lord's legacy), a murdered father (which didn't help Kylo at all; the movie from my memory even indicates that he was immediately having second thoughts) and a shot straight to the torso. It is a wonder he was even able to stand up and form coherent sentences.

Kylo Ren's psyche is fascinating, along with the entire First Order.
Confiteor Deo omnipotenti; beatae Mariae semper Virgini; beato Michaeli Archangelo; sanctis Apostolis, omnibus sanctis... Tibit Pater, quia peccavi nimis, cogitatione, verbo et opere, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! Kyrie Eleison!

The Imperial Senate (defunct) * Knights Astrum Clades * The Mess
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Game of Thrones: Lyanna Mormont is the reincarnation of Lyanna Stark.

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-10-17 08:02pm Game of Thrones: Lyanna Mormont is the reincarnation of Lyanna Stark.
Wouldn't Arya make more sense? Same family, supposed to have a strong resemblance and acts like her.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I suppose. Arya's the obvious candidate, but having it be Lyanna (aside from the name and being less obvious) has a nice symmetry, as it means that Jon's mother was the one, out of all the northern lords, to come to his aid against Ramsey.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Doctor Who: Time Lords are mostly bisexual. There are certainly indications that the Doctor him/herself is, and given the possibility of switching gender during regeneration, a certain... flexibility in this respect is probably the only way a Time Lord could have relationship lasting across regenerations.

Alternatively, relationships rarely last across regenerations, and regeneration is considered grounds for whatever the Time Lord version of divorce is.

Bedlam
Jedi Master

Post by Bedlam »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-10-20 03:49pm Alternatively, relationships rarely last across regenerations, and regeneration is considered grounds for whatever the Time Lord version of divorce is.
I'd say that's more likely certainly each regeneration would have different preferences and likes although we've seen evidence of cross regeneration friendships at least (most companions who surive over multiple incarnations for a start, the Doctor / Master relationship for all it's strangness). I'd say a 'marriage' may well be 'until regeneration do us pass' with the option to continue beyond that if they're still compatible.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Slightly at odds with the Fantastic Beasts film and Pottermore, perhaps, but:

Wizarding America has a weak central government. Just as Wizarding Britain can be seen as an exaggerated/old-fashioned version of Muggle Britain with magic, Wizarding America draws on Articles of Confederacy US and the Wild West.

To try to square that with the authoritarian enforcement of the Statute of Secrecy in Fantastic Beasts and on Pottermore: Wizarding America is authoritarian on the East Coast/in the capital of New York, and/or the SoS is the one thing they can agree on consistently enforcing (because the ICW will come down on them like a ton of bricks if they don't). But out west of the Appalachians (or at any rate west of the Mississippi), its pretty much the Wizarding West.

In keeping with this, the bad guys would be more bandits/organized crime, rather than Nazi-esque blood purist Dark Lords.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-10-20 10:35pm Slightly at odds with the Fantastic Beasts film and Pottermore, perhaps, but:

Wizarding America has a weak central government. Just as Wizarding Britain can be seen as an exaggerated/old-fashioned version of Muggle Britain with magic, Wizarding America draws on Articles of Confederacy US and the Wild West.

To try to square that with the authoritarian enforcement of the Statute of Secrecy in Fantastic Beasts and on Pottermore: Wizarding America is authoritarian on the East Coast/in the capital of New York, and/or the SoS is the one thing they can agree on consistently enforcing (because the ICW will come down on them like a ton of bricks if they don't). But out west of the Appalachians (or at any rate west of the Mississippi), its pretty much the Wizarding West.

In keeping with this, the bad guys would be more bandits/organized crime, rather than Nazi-esque blood purist Dark Lords.
I like this theory.
Especially because for many decades, if not hundreds of years, those Wizards in the Appalachian Mountains would be self-taught and self-teaching. The average Appalachian Hillbilly has very little respect for those 'outside' and have a outright disdain for anyone 'uppity'.

Add in the IRL history of wisewomen and witches in families, and I'm sure you'd see the SoS wasn't followed as strictly. We'd be more like the Addams Family, a number of 'odd' families who you only bothered if you needed help. Would definitely have made the Mine Wars and the Rednecks of Blair Mountain (also 1920s) *very* interesting.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Yeah, that could work.

Also, there's the question of First Nations magical people. The SoS seems to have emerged largely as a response to European witch hunts, and I can see it being something that was largely imposed on unwilling First Nations wizards by the more populous European countries (because everyone has to follow it for it to work). I can also see a lot of people unwilling to stand by while disease and Muggle colonists were slaughtering their people/tribes, and not try to help. Same deal with African Americans- I'd bet you there was at least a wizard or two working on the Underground Railroad.

One thing about wizards is that for every blood purist dick, there is a witch or wizard who will happily disregard the SOS to help innocents in danger (IIRC, Britain ever perhaps it to be broken to save lives, though America in the '20s evidently does not).

Incidentally, some other fan theories I've long held dear regarding Wizarding America:

1. Benjamin Franklin was a squib. I base this on the fact that there was a Wizarding United States and magical Congress before the Muggle one, which suggests either an amazing coincidence or that some of the Founding Fathers knew about the Wizarding World. I picked Franklin in part because of his history as an inventor, and I like the idea of a Squib Franklin who (like many Squibs) goes to live among Muggles, and then uses science and technology to try to recreate the things that he cannot do with magic.

2. George McClellan (and possibly other Union generals) were under Confundus charms or Imperius curses, explaining their poor leadership during the Civil War (or, you know, they were just incompetent ;) ). Also, someone tried to put a spell on Lincoln, but he fought it off through shear force of will.

3. Illvermorny is the main school for Canada (and possibly Mexico/Central America/the Caribbean) as well as the US. Since there are supposedly only 11 major schools in the world and we know that some take students from multiple countries (thanks to Pottermore). Plus those countries are mostly relatively tiny in population compared to the US, so it wouldn't necessarily be a huge addition to their student body.

Really, the potential to develop Wizarding North America is fucking fascinating, even if Rowling hasn't really done it very well thus far, in my opinion.

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Is there anything that says that Wizards and witches are immune to muggle diseases? I think what happened to a lot of the Magical Native Americans was the same as what happened to their no-maj kin. Smallpox, measles, etc