Thoughts on 2001

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Thoughts on 2001

Post by TimothyC »

On the 29th I went to see 2001 in IMAX 4k (as opposed to the 70mm print being shown in NYC, LA, SF, Toronto, & Indianapolis) and I would like to share a few thoughts.
1. The film is visually impressive even on DVD, and is absolutely stunning in 4k on a big screen. At the start, when Floyd is aboard the Orion III, you can actually see movement in the windows - It's not static like one would expect.
2. The audio work is good. A bit loud for my tastes, but good. The sound design is great, which is more a testament to Kubrick than anything.
3. Intermission. A chance to stand up and move a bit, even in a medium length movie is great. I wish more movies did this, but it would limit pacing decisions.
4. This was the first time in years that I actually watched 2001 as a cohesive unit and I must say that the movie is, itself, SUPREMELY BORING. I may have to watch my DVD of 2010 just to wipe away the damage this one did.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: Thoughts on 2001

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

My opinion on the film is basically, a very interesting concept and about 1 hour of fascinating (if slow-paced) plot wrapped up in another hour of utterly stunning effects work and music.

2010 is definitely superior as a cohesive film, but then I thought the book 2010 was better than the first one anyway (and is incidentally my all-time favourite SF work).
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

IIRC 2010 was a book that was eventually turned into a movie whereas 2001 was a movie from the start and the book was written as a companion piece (didn't the book also have the monolith hanging around Saturn rather than Jupiter?)
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Batman wrote: 2018-08-30 01:30pm IIRC 2010 was a book that was eventually turned into a movie whereas 2001 was a movie from the start and the book was written as a companion piece (didn't the book also have the monolith hanging around Saturn rather than Jupiter?)
I think you've got that backwards? 2001 was a book adapted into a movie and 2010 was done both at the same time?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Nope, you've got it backwards mate. Kubrick and Clarke worked on both the book and the film of 2001 more-or-less simultaneously. 2010 the book was written a number of years before the film came out (in 1987 IIRC).

And yes, in the book of 2001 the Monolith was around Iapetus, a moon of Saturn.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Fair enough, I stand corrected.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

The last time I watched 2001 I had the random thought of "This feels like a Twilight Zone episode that got a massive effects budget and stretched out into a feature film.

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2018-08-30 01:44pm Nope, you've got it backwards mate. Kubrick and Clarke worked on both the book and the film of 2001 more-or-less simultaneously. 2010 the book was written a number of years before the film came out (in 1987 IIRC).

And yes, in the book of 2001 the Monolith was around Iapetus, a moon of Saturn.
2010 the book came out in 1982, the movie in 1984. 2061 was published in 1987.
Also, the start of 2001 came from the short stories "Encounter at dawn" & "The Sentinel", both of which predate 2001.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Huh, I thought 2010 the film was considerably later than the book, since Clarke wasn't involved. Ah well. Still an amazing film.

Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Honestly, I've never finished 2001. It's been years since I've tried but the pacing is too slow to make the cool scenes and awe-inspiring effects worth it. I'd watch it for a film class or something but as something enjoyable to just throw on I can't see the appeal.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Hey, at least it makes TMP look fast-paced by comparison
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
JI_Joe84
Padawan Learner

Post by JI_Joe84 »

I've got both 2001 and 2010 on blue ray (I found them at a pawn shop of all places) and I thought 2001 was good as a sales pitch for NASA's exo-orbital human space flight ambitions. You had space station's under construction and that space shuttle, moon bases. Only thing I do not recall was a space hook or space elevator.
Maybe the elevator was not high tech enough for the movie but it does make getting things going to the outer solar system a lot easier. Wish they at least included it in a window or some thing.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

As for 2001.... splendid effects, very well realized sci-fi... but my god. Every single time, I swear, that I have watched that movie? I'm asleep by the time the spinny light-show ends. No joke.

I mean, okay. The start of it is alright, has a bit of funky action with the monkey people. Then you get about a hour of people standing around and talking. Half a hour, if that, of things getting interesting. Then Dave goes into the Monolith, and... *poof* I'm gone.

It's a great piece of art cinema. It's not so much a great piece of *watchable* cinema.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.