Star Trek 4 in danger of losing two Chrises

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Q99
Jedi Council Member

Star Trek 4 in danger of losing two Chrises

Post by Q99 »

Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth talks for ST4 fall through

Hemsworth is slated to play Kirk's father in a time-travel adventure.
The deal points came down to the usual suspect: money. Pine and Hemsworth, among Hollywood’s A-list when starring in DC or Marvel movies, are said to be asking the studios to stick to existing deals. Paramount, according to insiders, contends that Trek is not like a Marvel or Star Wars movie and is trying to hold the line on a budget.

The actors, according to sources, insist they have deals in place and that the studios are reneging on them, forcing them to take pay cuts as they try to budget a movie that is following a mediocre performer.

Pine, at least, has had a deal in place for several years. The actor, now a key player in the Wonder Woman franchise, signed up for a fourth movie when he made his deal for 2016's Star Trek Beyond. Hemsworth has been attached to Trek 4 since Paramount, then run by the previous regime headed by Brad Grey, announced the fourth installment in 2016, although his exact status remains murky.

The studio, however, is backing its budget tough talk with past performance numbers. The last movie, Star Trek Beyond, grossed only $343 million worldwide on a budget of $190 million. In fact, one insider says the companies lost money on the movie.

Losing these two could have a notable impact on Star Trek 4 to say the least, and while I can get concerns over budget, I also find it hard to be too sympathetic to paramount, as they've got existing contracts with two A-listers, the whole point of having both being to draw people in.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Star Trek 4 in danger of losing two Chrises

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Paramount's persistent record of mismanagement of Star Trek over a period of decades is astounding.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Over a half century, actually....
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Yeah. One gets the sense that whatever success Star Trek has had, its been more in spite of, not because of, its management.

Honestly, there are times I kind of wish that an IP could be seized from a company on the grounds of gross incompetence.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I feel sympathy for both sides; contracts are contracts, and sucks to be stiffed on money you're owed.

On the other the movies aren't making big bucks, so costs do have to be cut. Acting salaries feel like something you can tighten your belt around. And TBF other than Star Trel/Marvel/DC I can't think what big things these two actually have been. I mean Hemsworth was in the Ghostbuster reboot I guess, anything else?
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I'm not sure the Thor/Avenger movies leave Hemsworth with an abundance of time for other projects. Nonetheless, IMDB list him in the following since Avengers: Age of Ultron:

Vacation
In the Heart of the Sea
The Huntsman: Winter's War
Ghostbusters: Answer the Call
Team Thor (short)
Doctor Strange (post-credits scene)
Team Thor Part 2 (short)
Ghostbusters VR: Now Hiring (video game voice credit)
Thor: Ragnarok
12 Strong
Tourism Australia: Dundee - The Son of a Legend Returns Home (short)
Avengers: Infinity War

And he's in three films currently in post-production and another currently filming. Now, not all of the above are big-budget blockbusters, but he's certainly busy.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Yeah, Hemsworth is a pretty big star. He has no trouble finding work, and he has one of the main roles in the biggest film franchise in the world.

Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

The only ones I'd worry about is some of the rest of the cast if the movie falls through, but being in three treks they already have some resume and a ticket to the con circuit.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-08-11 03:53pm I feel sympathy for both sides; contracts are contracts, and sucks to be stiffed on money you're owed.

On the other the movies aren't making big bucks, so costs do have to be cut. Acting salaries feel like something you can tighten your belt around. And TBF other than Star Trel/Marvel/DC I can't think what big things these two actually have been. I mean Hemsworth was in the Ghostbuster reboot I guess, anything else?
Sure, you can ask the actors to renegotiate their pay. But they can always say no and walk away.

Maybe write a less special effects heavy story to cut the budget there. Or one requiring less extras. Something that feels more like televised Trek.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Just invoke TIME TRAVEL and replace the losers with JEAN-LUC PICARD.

OUI, motherfuckers.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Tom Hardy would make a good younger Picard. Plus seeing heads explode over the invocation of Nemesis would be a bonus.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Hemsworth was also in Cabin in the Woods and the Red Dawn remake. Though both of those were before his big hit with Thor.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

FaxModem1 wrote: 2018-08-13 03:06am Hemsworth was also in Cabin in the Woods and the Red Dawn remake. Though both of those were before his big hit with Thor.
Not sure when they filmed it, but Cabin in the Woods was released after the first Thor film (the same year as Avengers IIRC).

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-08-13 03:06pm
FaxModem1 wrote: 2018-08-13 03:06am Hemsworth was also in Cabin in the Woods and the Red Dawn remake. Though both of those were before his big hit with Thor.
Not sure when they filmed it, but Cabin in the Woods was released after the first Thor film (the same year as Avengers IIRC).
Most actors have a lot of irons in the fire when starting out. It's not unusual for someone to become a star after a big movie, but the same year a few other movies come out that feature them but aren't nearly as well known. Often the marketing gets rejiggered at the last minute for a B-movie to become a B-movie starring Newly Famous Actor. This can lead to young actors suddenly seeming to have a lot of movies coming out within a short time of each other-- it's not all that unusual, but they amp up the marketing when they think they can make an extra dime or two off the names. Once they become better known, they tend to slow down and pick and choose their projects a little more.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Q99 wrote: 2018-08-11 11:42pm The only ones I'd worry about is some of the rest of the cast if the movie falls through, but being in three treks they already have some resume and a ticket to the con circuit.
For that matter, Zoe Saldana and Simon Pegg aren't exactly nobodies, just to name two.

Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-08-13 03:25pm Most actors have a lot of irons in the fire when starting out. It's not unusual for someone to become a star after a big movie, but the same year a few other movies come out that feature them but aren't nearly as well known. Often the marketing gets rejiggered at the last minute for a B-movie to become a B-movie starring Newly Famous Actor. This can lead to young actors suddenly seeming to have a lot of movies coming out within a short time of each other-- it's not all that unusual, but they amp up the marketing when they think they can make an extra dime or two off the names. Once they become better known, they tend to slow down and pick and choose their projects a little more.
Yep, before someone gets big, they're normally in a middle stage of "was in a role or two that showed they can do work, and then people start hiring them for a variety of minor roles," and they stay in that stage for a highly variable length of time, then something may or may not blow up big and there you go!