Returning classic character announced for Episode 9

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Re: Returning classic character announced for Episode 9

Post by Vympel »

They got her families approval so I don't see the issue. The real issue is compositing it effectively. So possibly force ghost, which would obscure that problem?
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I found it interesting that Abrams said they were using unseen footage from TFA. I wonder if he either can't or won't use footage from TLJ instead.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Imperial528 wrote: 2018-07-27 10:16pm I can see a fear of actors essentially being replaced with voice actors, but given the use of motion capture with CGI for animation, actors who are adept at the physical skill involved in acting will probably have nothing to worry about.
Its really just the eye candy that has to worry, guys and gals. If your sole contribution to the film is to look pretty or buff, well looking like something is exactly the niche CGI is all about. Then again, part of the appeal of hunks and babes is that viewers desire them, and I don't think that same dynamic will work if you know they on screen bare skin and muscles are just 3D modeled polygons.

However, the real eye candy, or rather eye filler, that is going to disappear first isn't any of the leads of named actors but rather the legion of extras or unaccredited bit rolls. You're not supposed to really see or notice these people but rather just subconsciously log them, so some of the flaws with CGI are easier to get away with there.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Galvatron wrote: 2018-07-28 12:42am I found it interesting that Abrams said they were using unseen footage from TFA. I wonder if he either can't or won't use footage from TLJ instead.
Either there's nothing in Carrie's performance in TLJ that suits his purposes, or there's nothing to use and the issue is moot.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Galvatron wrote: 2018-07-28 12:42am I found it interesting that Abrams said they were using unseen footage from TFA. I wonder if he either can't or won't use footage from TLJ instead.
I hope not that latter- that kind of petty feuding between directors can only result in inconsistencies of tone, theme, and plot that hurt the overall franchise.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-07-28 01:13pm I hope not that latter- that kind of petty feuding between directors can only result in inconsistencies of tone, theme, and plot that hurt the overall franchise.
The idea that there was 'feuding' between Abrams and Johnson is based entirely on people who didn't like TLJ assuming Abrams would agree with them, as opposed to evidence of any sort whatsoever.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Vympel wrote: 2018-07-28 08:43pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-07-28 01:13pm I hope not that latter- that kind of petty feuding between directors can only result in inconsistencies of tone, theme, and plot that hurt the overall franchise.
The idea that there was 'feuding' between Abrams and Johnson is based entirely on people who didn't like TLJ assuming Abrams would agree with them, as opposed to evidence of any sort whatsoever.
No big name director would be stupid enough to make the feud public, even if there's one.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Vympel wrote: 2018-07-28 07:40am
Either there's nothing in Carrie's performance in TLJ that suits his purposes, or there's nothing to use and the issue is moot.
I figure outfits are an issue- TLJ footage and TFA wouldn't match. If there's more TFA to work with, they can use that outfit more.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Vympel wrote: 2018-07-28 08:43pm
I don't know- TLJ seemed to be deliberately throwing out a lot of the stuff TFA appeared to be setting up. Its not obvious or definite, but I can see why some would draw that conclusion.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I thought this was old news...

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Are there creative differences between TFA and TLJ? Sure; that's pretty evident to anybody who's watched both movies with more than a casual interest.

It doesn't really add up to a "feud" though. The only thing it demonstrates is that Disney/LFL let Abrams and Johnson do their own things on each movie. How much of a good thing that was is certainly debatable, but it doesn't really indicate anything beyond that.

Anyway. The costume thing makes sense to me; if they're going with the use of old footage rather than trying to CGI her in, that's about the only thing they could do anyway. I imagine there may be a deleted scene or two from TFA that Abrams might be able to repurpose if he can figure out some way to shoehorn them into the plot.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Didn't the prequels use CG to put Christopher Lee's head on a stunt man's body?
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Galvatron wrote: 2018-07-30 07:54pm Didn't the prequels use CG to put Christopher Lee's head on a stunt man's body?
To a degree yes and they did the essentially the same in rogue one. however while that works pretty well for action scenes with mid or full body shots, it still tends to break down badly when used for a close up. In ROTS and AOTC they still used Lee himself for the close ups, it just that he has unable to do the footwork properly due to his age (IIRC) and they had to resort to using stuntmen for the longer distance shots.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Galvatron wrote: 2018-07-30 06:59pm I thought this was old news...

Youtube videos put out by grifters looking to monetize nerd rumor-mongering by selling fantasies about feuds based on extremely bare-bones and speculative comments from the cast (spun out into a 6 minute video, no less) are indeed old news. JJ Abrams did not write a script for Episode VIII or Episode IX, and Daisy Ridley never asserted that he did.

In general, the assertion that Johnson "threw out" some master plan of JJ Abrams' is pure horseshit (and flies in the face of what Ridley actually said). It suits salty fans to tell this fairy tale because it vindicates their fantasies about some other, superior film that could have happened where all their lame-ass fan theories (which they think Episode 7 "set up") got vindicated.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

To be fair, it's quite possible that JJ had a general outline for how he thought the episodes should go. Disney/LFL and Johnson were under no obligation to follow it if it existed, of course, particularly as (I think) JJ probably didn't know if he would be directing any more episodes after TFA.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-08-01 01:37pm To be fair, it's quite possible that JJ had a general outline for how he thought the episodes should go. Disney/LFL and Johnson were under no obligation to follow it if it existed, of course, particularly as (I think) JJ probably didn't know if he would be directing any more episodes after TFA.
He had more than general outlines, he wrote drafts for both Episode VIII and IX. According to Ridley, Johnson didn't keep anything from Abram's draft. I'm not a fan of JJ Abrams, but I for one think it would've been better if he had done all three movies (and then the awful TLJ would not have been and the movies would've felt more cohesive).
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Mange wrote: 2018-08-01 05:02pm
Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-08-01 01:37pm To be fair, it's quite possible that JJ had a general outline for how he thought the episodes should go. Disney/LFL and Johnson were under no obligation to follow it if it existed, of course, particularly as (I think) JJ probably didn't know if he would be directing any more episodes after TFA.
He had more than general outlines, he wrote drafts for both Episode VIII and IX. According to Ridley, Johnson didn't keep anything from Abram's draft. I'm not a fan of JJ Abrams, but I for one think it would've been better if he had done all three movies (and then the awful TLJ would not have been and the movies would've felt more cohesive).
While there are pretty clearly differences in Abrams' vision and Johnsons', this is a claim that I think at this point needs to be sourced with something more definitive than a vague "Ridley said".

tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-08-01 05:09pm
Mange wrote: 2018-08-01 05:02pm
While there are pretty clearly differences in Abrams' vision and Johnsons', this is a claim that I think at this point needs to be sourced with something more definitive than a vague "Ridley said".
The only source for this is an interview Daisy Ridley had with a french magazine "Le Magazine Geek".

At least that is the only reference to a quote any article I can remember had.

And even Ms. Ridley wasn't excatly sure about this in her quote.
Daisy Ridley in Le MAgazine GEEK wrote:“Here’s what I think I know. J. J. wrote Episode VII, as well as drafts for VIII & IX. Then Rian Johnson arrived and wrote The Last Jedi entirely. I believe there was some sort of general consensus on the main lines of the trilogy, but apart from that, every director writes and realizes his film in his own way. Rian Johnson and J. J. Abrams met to discuss all of this, although Episode VIII is still his very own work. I believe Rian didn’t keep anything from the first draft of Episode VIII.”
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Okay.

That's fairly vague, though, as you said. Especially since she even says that there is a consensus on the broad outlines of the trilogy's story.

Also, of course, there is no way to know that the first draft was some superior film that Johnson destroyed. For all we know, it got thrown out for being shit (which most first drafts are, even from good writers- that's why there are second and third drafts).

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

https://twitter.com/jjabrams/status/102 ... 92545?s=21

Shooting has begun on Episode IX today (photo from set included, Falcon cockpit and Finn and what looks to be probably Poe? Might also be Rey but hard to say).
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Finn and Poe crammed together in that little cockpit? Well, that will make the shippers happy. :)