The 13th Tribe Book II: A Symphony of War

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Re: The 13th Tribe Book II: A Symphony of War

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2018-07-26 07:30pm On an unrelated note, I've been having fun updating the TVTropes page with such delightful entries as More Dakka and One-Hit Kill. Nerdism levels are approaching ten to the twelth power.
You mean they're over 9,000, don't you?

Light carrier names...well, assault carrier names: Carinae, Vela, Canis Major, Can is Minor, Auriga, Leo,, Libra,, Sagittarius, Capricornus, Argo Navis, Lepus, Lupus, Ursa Minor.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Let me guess...the UNSC's Constellation class :D
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Orion-class, which were the lightest UNSC carriers during the war. Since Orion is a constellation I figured the UN Spacy would at least name some of them after current or former constellations, even if three of them are named after the same asterism(I refuse to name a warship Puppis), allowing for at least 88 machines.

And, at least one named Guardian.

(Master Of Orion reference that)
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Amusingly, this would give all three human powers (Kobolians, Tau'ri and UNSC) have major ship classes and/or vessels named for constellations.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Didn't think about that. Damn.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

I had figured that the UNSC "light" carriers would have historical carrier names - the two that were part of Stanforth's fleet were the Hiryu and the Langley, I have provisionally picked the Argus, Hermes and Centaur as well.

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Eagle, Albion,, Independence,, Princeton, Dokdo,, Furious, Glorious, Courageous , Vikrant, Admiral Kunetszov, Moskva, Kiev, San Jacinto, Kearsarge, Izumo,, Ise, Hyuga, Invincible, Hermes, Bulwark, Sir J.F. Woodward, Ticonderoga,, Zuikaku,, Shokaku, Melbourne.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Already got Hermes. And naming a ship Invincible is just asking for trouble...especially since I'm the author.

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

The last Invincible made it all the way to the breakers. Apparently, It's a better carrier name than a battle cruiser one.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

This is true, but still, carries a bad legacy...and you know what I'm like with things going boom in my stories.

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Fair enough. How about River Of Stars as an alternate carrier name(given you already have an Eridanus)? Also, Indefatigable, as I believe I suggested Indomitable elsewhere in this thread.

Also Cabot, Charger, and Biter.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Indefatigable, while I love the name, also has the same issue as Invincible - in that the battlecruiser version went kaboom.

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Fuck, I'm just batting 1,000, aren't I? Is there any British Lend Lease Essex- class carrier that wasn't named after an exploding battlecruiser?!
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

I think it was just Invincible and Indefatigable - the other exploding battlecruisers were Queen Mary and Hood.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

I know it's been a while, but I would like to reassure everyone that I am in fact still working on this, I've just been on holiday and distracted by little things like nephews, Labradors, and some beautifully clear skies. I've got another chapter mostly done, and there should be only one more after that to close out Act Three and then Act Four can begin, the Covenant assault on Reach, which will be epic. And bloody.

I'm also trying to flesh out what the "greater evil" will be. I know I said I wouldn;t but I keep working plot elements in and I need it to be something epic. My brother suggested I use the Monolith-builders from the Space Odyssey series, as they have both some impressive observed tech and only some vague details about their nature/motivations, which would let me flesh them out to my taste.

I am also contemplating using the Daleks or possibly the Sontarans from Doctor Who. Still mulling those options over.

DKeith2011
Padawan Learner

Post by DKeith2011 »

The Monolith builders could be interesting. What about something similar to the Shadows from Babylon 5?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

There may be some influences from them in there, but I've slightly boxed myself in by saying that "it" was responsible for both creating the Wraith and the Flood and then intefering with the the Furling/Forerunner return to the Haloverse, killing them all, and corrupting the Asgard genetic database, effectively killing them as well.

So basically it needs to be a species that either works on very long timescales (at least 12,000 years just for the stuff in the main/Terran universe, 100,000 or more years for the Flood) or has some limited time-travel abilities, but can't use them to interfere directly with the Terrans and the Tau'ri.

That's one reason why I pondered the Daleks - they do have time travel but presumably they are wary of drawing notice from the Time Lords for doing too much. This would be pre-Time War Daleks at any rate, maybe as part of their preparations for that war.

Tandrax218
Padawan Learner

Post by Tandrax218 »

what about the Xeelee ??
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

I'm not familiar enough to use them. Perhaps the Magog and the Spirit of the Abyss might be worth another thought. Ideally though I need an enemy that can be actual characters for POV chapters, like I've done with Ba'al, the Cylons, the Wraith and the Covenant.

DKeith2011
Padawan Learner

Post by DKeith2011 »

Maybe delve into the original BSG and use Count Iblis and the Ship of Light?

Shouldn't be too hard to make them some kind of extra-dimensional force beyond even the Ascended playing a long game with the lower dimensions.
jayel
Redshirt

Post by jayel »

no a good SCI-FI story shouldn't need supernatural BS
fnord
Jedi Knight

Post by fnord »

And any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.

Given how good the writing, etc has been, the story takes as long as it takes. Especially for those of us who have been reading since April 2016.

I personally would be wary of using a Greater Scope Villain capable of even semi-controlled time travel against a mob that can't (even under the constraints you've listed) - but it's your story, we're just throwing bits at you.
A mad person thinks there's a gateway to hell in his basement. A mad genius builds one and turns it on. - CaptainChewbacca
DKeith2011
Padawan Learner

Post by DKeith2011 »

They wouldn't be have to be supernatural any more than the Ascended are, they just have to be as far beyond the Ascended as the Ascended are beyond mortals.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Some good points. I did make mention of another group of Ascended in a distant galaxy that took notice of the MW, Pegasus and Ida while the other Ascended were busy containing the false vacuum collapse. I'd intended them to be the Ori, and indeed their Priors are turning up, but using Iblis would be...intriguing. Fnord makes a good point re time travel though.

fnord
Jedi Knight

Post by fnord »

You're a good enough writer not to be too unduly bothered either way. I'm worried that it wouldn't constrain the story enough.
A mad person thinks there's a gateway to hell in his basement. A mad genius builds one and turns it on. - CaptainChewbacca