Fantastic Beasts 2 Second Trailer.

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Fantastic Beasts 2 Second Trailer.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiblmGnet2Q

So, more of Dumbledore and Hogwarts, more Grindlewald. Looks like Dumbledore seeing Grindlewald in the Mirror of Erised, which is a bit on the nose and a borderline contradiction of his characterization in Deathly Hallows, but means that they might actually be addressing Dumbledore's gayness directly in the film.

Beyond that, we have lots of the usual whimsy, and some nice new monsters. Looks okay, if the trailer is any indication. The Boggart bit at the beginning is interesting. It looks like we'll be getting more development of Newt's character beyond "Nice eccentric with mysterious backstory who likes creatures." Also, the Thestral chase bit looks bad ass.

Plus, Nicholas Flammel. :)

And God damn it, Grindlewald is right that the Statute of Secrecy doesn't work (even if he's only seeing how it sucks from the Wizarding perspective). Its just that his solution is worse.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: Fantastic Beasts 2 Second Trailer.

Post by FaxModem1 »

I wonder if Flammel's condition is because of or in spite of the Philosopher's Stone.

Looks like we'll probably mostly be in Paris.

And the three main factions we're seeing are Dumbledore/Newt's, Grindlewald's, and Credence's troop of outcasts.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

The Romulan Republic wrote: So, more of Dumbledore and Hogwarts, more Grindlewald. Looks like Dumbledore seeing Grindlewald in the Mirror of Erised, which is a bit on the nose and a borderline contradiction of his characterization in Deathly Hallows, but means that they might actually be addressing Dumbledore's gayness directly in the film.

The way I remember it the Mirror of Erised shows the viewer their greatest desire at the time they are looking at it, which can be subject to change. Harry is a good example; the first couple of times he looked at it he saw his family whereas at the end of the novel he saw himself getting the Philosopher's Stone and keeping it from Quirrel/Voldemort.

IMO it's not really contradictory to the Deathly Hallows that at this point Dumbledore's greatest desire would have involved Grindelwald; perhaps out of longing for the relationship that never happened, or maybe over what Grindelwald knows about his sister's death. While Dumbledore was terrified of finding out the truth (which is why he refused to confront Grindelwald until the very end) one of his greatest desires was probably finding out that he and his brother were not the ones who killed her.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Yeah, I suppose that makes sense.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.