The Clone Wars series to be continued

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

The Clone Wars series to be continued

Post by Rogue 9 »

FRESH trailer, public less than fifteen minutes as I type this.

It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Mange
Sith Marauder

Re: The Clone Wars series to be continued

Post by Mange »

Yes! That's great news! It'll be twelve new episodes according to SW.com.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Err... is that post-Rebels Ashoka?
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-07-19 04:18pm Err... is that post-Rebels Ashoka?
That would be very strange, considering that's Anakin Skywalker outside the armor she's talking to. Presumably this is later in the war (how close to the events of Revenge of the Sith did the original run get?) and she's grown a bit.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Huh, we're actually gonna get a finished version of the Bad Batch story? Nice. And I'm guessing they're going to try to give Ahsoka a good transition from where she was at the end of TCW to (more or less) the Ahsoka novel.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2018-07-19 04:28pm
That would be very strange, considering that's Anakin Skywalker outside the armor she's talking to. Presumably this is later in the war (how close to the events of Revenge of the Sith did the original run get?) and she's grown a bit.
I've no idea what she looks like in various time periods but she looks grown up there.

And i heard the end of Rebels involved time travel so...
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-07-19 04:43pm
I've no idea what she looks like in various time periods but she looks grown up there.

It also definitively destroyed the method of time travel in the same episode, so I really don't think that's the answer.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Good stuff. I was looking forward to more Wacky Adventures of the Space SS.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

Looks like it'll be the Bad Batch episodes or something based on them.

At 1:41 you can see Anakin with the Rambo-Clone Trooper (black armor, red headband) that was the Captain of the Bad Batch.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2018-07-19 04:44pm
Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-07-19 04:43pm

It also definitively destroyed the method of time travel in the same episode, so I really don't think that's the answer.
Its not like someone couldn't have hidden more than one of them around the galaxy....

Face it, that can of worms has been opened, and there's no closing it now.

Though really, I'd think the fans would be happy, as it now means that every angry fan who ever thought a new movie sucked can hold out at least theoretical hope of it being erased from the timeline. :wink:
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

tezunegari wrote: 2018-07-19 05:29pm Looks like it'll be the Bad Batch episodes or something based on them.

At 1:41 you can see Anakin with the Rambo-Clone Trooper (black armor, red headband) that was the Captain of the Bad Batch.
IIRC most TCW individual stories were between three and four episodes long, not many went over that and a good few were only a couple of episodes. Certainly plot arcs covered more than that, but I would be somewhat surprised to see only one story through all twelve episodes.

I suspect it's going to be the Bad Batch story over say four episodes, and then once that concludes they'll hurry it up towards ROTS, perhaps with a focus on the battles happening around the galaxy as the CIS prepares to attack Coruscant.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

One has to wonder why Disney suddenly decided to finish that show... as it's a direct competitor with their upcoming Prequel show for the ST.

Right now I just cannot get myself to care about SW: Resistance.
But new Clone Wars content? Hell yeah. Stocking up on microwave popcorn and getting the fizzy drinks.
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

tezunegari wrote: 2018-07-19 09:21pm One has to wonder why Disney suddenly decided to finish that show... as it's a direct competitor with their upcoming Prequel show for the ST.
It isn't a competitor, it's a hook to get Star Wars fans to buy the new Disney streaming service. They only plan 12 new episodes of clones, and as I recall around 10 episodes had scripts but were never finished originally. So it's a one time deal kind of thing, while Resistance will probably go a couple seasons and then be replaced by yet another kids show linked to one of the new trilogies Disney has planned.

I'm kinda glad these episodes will be made, but I'm not going to pay Disney to see them either.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Catering to multiple groups of SW fans works in their favor.

And think of it: Play CW in front of Resistance. Some people will watch one, then the other, and you can get audience transfer.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Gandalf wrote: 2018-07-19 05:14pm Good stuff. I was looking forward to more Wacky Adventures of the Space SS.
Nah. They're the SA. They were used for Kristallnacht and then purged. :P
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Or you could see Order 66 as Night of the Long Knives. :P

Either way the sheer marketing of such characters is pretty weird. All glory to the merch deities who invented the brainchips!
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

Q99 wrote: 2018-07-19 10:57pm Catering to multiple groups of SW fans works in their favor.

And think of it: Play CW in front of Resistance. Some people will watch one, then the other, and you can get audience transfer.
I see the marketing behind it. Give the fans what they want and possibly make them watch and like the new show. Age old tactic that usually works.
But having to revive a show that was canceled in 2013 to do that makes this revival feel as if they aren't confident enough in SW: Resistance to stand on its own.

IIRC Disney did cancel Clone Wars directly after acquiring the Star Wars License and produced Rebels instead.
And now they need the old show to prop up the new one?

It just feels like an admittance of "the new stuff cannot stand on its own" like having Billy D. Williams take up his role as Lando in Episode 9.
And while the return of Lando makes sense to a degree as an Outer Rim Businessman. (less so if they make him a New Republic Fleet Command survivor)
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Excellent! I must admit I stopped watching Clone Wars a couple years ago - I plan on continuing now it'll have a proper wrap-up.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I can imagine the meeting at Disney that led to this, with Kathleen Kennedy tripping over herself trying to convince Bob Iger that everything's fine and him not buying it. Then Iger asked the assembled group if they had any ideas, to which Dave Filoni slowly raised his hand...
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Galvatron wrote: 2018-07-20 05:05pm I can imagine the meeting at Disney that led to this, with Kathleen Kennedy tripping over herself trying to convince Bob Iger that everything's fine and him not buying it. Then Iger asked the assembled group if they had any ideas, to which Dave Filoni slowly raised his hand...
I'm getting real tired of the constant bashing of Kathleen Kennedy. I think there's a lot of blame to go around for the (often exaggerated) problems with the franchise, but of course its the most prominent woman on the team who becomes the designated scapegoat for the fandom.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Hey, she took the job so the buck stops with her. As you may recall, I was just as merciless toward George Lucas as well.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Galvatron wrote: 2018-07-20 09:32pm Hey, she took the job so the buck stops with her. As you may recall, I was just as merciless toward George Lucas as well.
True enough, but keep in mind that she is subject to a level of executive oversight from Disney that Lucas never was.

I'm just irked because she seems to have become the general fandom hate sink, and I'm not sure its deserved.

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I was also one of her biggest cheerleaders after the acquisition and was overjoyed that someone of her pedigree would be overseeing LFL. However, I'm a demanding customer and I want consistent quality, regardless of whatever successes she had in the past. That also goes for the likes of George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, Ridley Scott, you name it.

I'm about as forgiving as Darth Vader when it comes to the (mis)handling of Star Wars (or any other IP close to my heart, for that matter).
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-07-20 09:34pm
Galvatron wrote: 2018-07-20 09:32pm Hey, she took the job so the buck stops with her. As you may recall, I was just as merciless toward George Lucas as well.
True enough, but keep in mind that she is subject to a level of executive oversight from Disney that Lucas never was.

I'm just irked because she seems to have become the general fandom hate sink, and I'm not sure its deserved.
Everyone who heads Lucasfilm will be the target of attacks by the fans. It's called bearing responsibility and that's part of the job. If they cannot handle it, they should not take control in the first place. You get all the high praise if you make something that pleases the fans, but you also get all the harsh criticism if you make something that pisses off the fanbase.

It really feels like you don't fully understand this aspect of leadership, as per your comments about leadership issues in TLJ. It does feel like you're trying to come up with excuses on the basis of her gender.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

ray245 wrote: 2018-07-21 07:59pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-07-20 09:34pm

Everyone who heads Lucasfilm will be the target of attacks by the fans. It's called bearing responsibility and that's part of the job.
My contention was not "Kathleen Kennedy should never be criticized." It was whether that criticism is disproportionate. I agree that criticism comes with the job, but it does not follow that all criticism is automatically fair and correct.
If they cannot handle it, they should not take control in the first place. You get all the high praise if you make something that pleases the fans, but you also get all the harsh criticism if you make something that pisses off the fanbase.
I'm not saying Kathleen Kennedy can't handle it, though its interesting that your mind immediately jumped to that interpretation. I'm just saying that its arguably disproportionate, and that people need to take into account the difference between the situation she's operating under, and the one Lucas was working under.
It really feels like you don't fully understand this aspect of leadership, as per your comments about leadership issues in TLJ. It does feel like you're trying to come up with excuses on the basis of her gender.
:roll:

Yes, of course leadership entails responsibility. However, it does not follow (in the mind of any reasonable person at least) that anything that goes wrong is therefore automatically the top person's fault, or that any criticism is automatically correct and irrefutable. That's a lazy approach to criticism, if nothing else.

Its also worth noting that Kathleen Kennedy isn't the top person here- at Lucasfilm, sure, but Lucasfilm is now owned by Disney, which means that she is subject to a level of corporate oversight that George Lucas has not been for a very long time. Which I specifically noted, and which point you ignored entirely in favor of questioning my comprehension.

I bring up gender because I see a pattern here of certain elements of the Star Wars fandom subjecting female leaders to particularly harsh criticism. And while that may be coincidental in some cases, the overall pattern certainly makes an impression on me.

Edit: I have the same problem with knee-jerk "blame everything on this person because they're in charge in politics"- its a big part of how we get reactionary protest votes every election cycle, even if the candidate they're voting for is worse than the status quo in every conceivable way. Its a common phenomenon, but its also an abdication of one's responsibility to use one's judgment- to be meaningful, a criticism should ideally be specific and backed up by facts.