Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (spoilers)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Re: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (spoilers)

Post by Captain Seafort »

Solauren wrote: 2018-06-23 06:01pmDealing with the dinosaurs shouldn't be to difficult on land. After all, a helicopter gunship nearly took down the I.Rex (stupid aviary!)
Maybe not - that thing was tough enough to survive an enormous volume of fire, including an AT-4 or similar striking close enough to knock it off its feet, with no apparent damage. Which is an improvement on my initial impression that it shrugged of a direct hit.

The ones that aren't designed from the outset as weapons might be easier to take down, but that resilience had to have come from somewhere.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Majin Gojira wrote: 2018-06-23 11:13pm
Solauren wrote: 2018-06-23 06:01pm The smaller ones, however, could be a problem to track and deal with. Compy's might replace Racoons as the annoying urban pest.
A pest which will attack and kill the young and the elderly.

In the original Novel, they got on the mainland and attacked sleeping babies.
Electrified fences become common place then?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Captain Seafort wrote: 2018-06-24 05:40am
Solauren wrote: 2018-06-23 06:01pmDealing with the dinosaurs shouldn't be to difficult on land. After all, a helicopter gunship nearly took down the I.Rex (stupid aviary!)
Maybe not - that thing was tough enough to survive an enormous volume of fire, including an AT-4 or similar striking close enough to knock it off its feet, with no apparent damage. Which is an improvement on my initial impression that it shrugged of a direct hit.

The ones that aren't designed from the outset as weapons might be easier to take down, but that resilience had to have come from somewhere.
Perhaps, but the Indoraptor was effectively bulletproof, while Blue was gravely injured by a single handgun round. It might be about where it was hit, though in the novel, a more redundant nervous system and some other details were given as reasons why Muldon in that version had to basically run around with a rocket launcher to take down the raptors.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Rhadamantus wrote: 2018-06-23 11:56pm Enjoyable enough movie, but some pretty gaping plot holes.

1: Why did they take all of those massive animals off the island when they had DNA samples? There's no way it was cheap to do that, and it seems pointless.
They wanted live animals for quick collateral, so it was a get-rich-quick scheme in essence.
2: How the hell can the Indoraptor do a pullup? The thing should not have that much upper body strength.
We're in b-movie monster territory with the Indoraptor. I mean, the damn thing's bulletproof.
3: The whole releasing the Dinos in the wild was actively nonsensical. They're all individual animals of their species, so it's functionally extinct already. They play no role in the ecosystem, and most of them are active threats to human life. Any sane government is going to recapture them or kill them, and even if they were left in nature they couldn't survive or reproduce. Meanwhile, they still should have all of the DNA, so the individual animals dying in captivity is better than letting them loose to run around killing people.
Movie logic, I suppose. Aside from 'feeling good', a lot of people think you only need 2 survivors to have a viable population afterward. No idea why they might think that!

But honestly, you missed the biggest plot hole: Isla Sorna. There's more than one island with Dinosaurs on it. I mean, there could be some expanded detail about what happened there (I recall something that some of the base animals for Jurassic World were taken from there), but I doubt that volcano can affect more than one island.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Post by amigocabal »

Tribble wrote: 2018-06-10 04:07pm And originally they had the lysine deficiency which would eventually kill them all, but I guess that plot point was dropped.
the plot point was dropped because the dinosaurs themselves remedied the situation by eating lysine-rich foods.
Majin Gojira wrote: 2018-06-24 08:35am They wanted live animals for quick collateral, so it was a get-rich-quick scheme in essence.

Live animals make for better marketing than labeled vials.
Rhadamantus wrote: 2018-06-23 11:56pm The whole releasing the Dinos in the wild was actively nonsensical. They're all individual animals of their species, so it's functionally extinct already. They play no role in the ecosystem, and most of them are active threats to human life. Any sane government is going to recapture them or kill them, and even if they were left in nature they couldn't survive or reproduce. Meanwhile, they still should have all of the DNA, so the individual animals dying in captivity is better than letting them loose to run around killing people.
We could hardly expect a little girl less than thirteen years old to understand the ramifications- a girl who just lost her adoptive grandfather maybe less than an hour before. to her, it was no different than releasing cats trapped in a room filling with poisonous gas.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

amigocabal wrote: 2018-06-24 12:49pm
Rhadamantus wrote: 2018-06-23 11:56pm The whole releasing the Dinos in the wild was actively nonsensical. They're all individual animals of their species, so it's functionally extinct already. They play no role in the ecosystem, and most of them are active threats to human life. Any sane government is going to recapture them or kill them, and even if they were left in nature they couldn't survive or reproduce. Meanwhile, they still should have all of the DNA, so the individual animals dying in captivity is better than letting them loose to run around killing people.
We could hardly expect a little girl less than thirteen years old to understand the ramifications- a girl who just lost her adoptive grandfather maybe less than an hour before. to her, it was no different than releasing cats trapped in a room filling with poisonous gas.
She said why. She was a cloned 'animal' too. They had the same right to live that she did.

Now, question is this -- Was the little girl the legal heir to the Grandfather?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Post by amigocabal »

Majin Gojira wrote: 2018-06-24 08:35am
But honestly, you missed the biggest plot hole: Isla Sorna. There's more than one island with Dinosaurs on it. I mean, there could be some expanded detail about what happened there (I recall something that some of the base animals for Jurassic World were taken from there), but I doubt that volcano can affect more than one island.
For the Dinosaur Protection Group, there were species unique to Nublar.
Spoiler
For Mills, the dinos in Nublar had tracking devices, allowing them to be found more easily so they can be captured and auctioned.