Federation on the Political Compass

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Re: Federation on the Political Compass

Post by K. A. Pital »

If Picard was churning out starships in his backyard, maybe it would've attracted the attention of the Federation... which is why he sticks to wine and Starfleet vessels are all we see ;)
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

K. A. Pital wrote: 2018-06-13 01:58pmIf Picard was churning out starships in his backyard, maybe it would've attracted the attention of the Federation... which is why he sticks to wine and Starfleet vessels are all we see ;)
One distinct possibility is that while Earth, specifically, has no privately owned key industry (i.e. privately owned small farms producing special snooty foods, but no privately owned replicator factories or antimatter refineries)... Other worlds of the Federation might. The Federation is tolerant culturally, so it would hardly be surprising if they accept private property among member species that value it, while not doing anything in particular to encourage it elsewhere.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Prometheus Unbound wrote: 2018-06-11 01:01pm USS Jenolen :)
A good point, I'd forgotten about that ship. I thought I'd remembered it as a small scout that Scotty was deadheading on, but Memory Alpha calls it a "large personnel transport", and it was in fact carrying passengers on its last flight.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

From Conspiracy:
PICARD: Data, are you familiar with Dytallix B?
DATA: Dytallix B is one of seven uninhabited planets mined for the Federation by the Dytallix Mining Company. It is in the nearby Mira system.
PICARD: Mister La Forge, chart a course for it immediately. Warp seven. And there will be no records or logs mentioning any aspect of this diversion.
Seems the Federation does contract jobs out to private companies.