Doctor Strange vs. Harry Potter

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Doctor Strange vs. Harry Potter

Post by Elheru Aran »

A real quick versus that I've been thinking about lately. If this has already been posted, feel free to lock.

Harry Potter after his graduation from Hogwarts (they had to have given him and his year a token graduation ceremony, right? one would like to hope so) encounters one Dr. Stephen Strange, Master of the Mystic Arts, MCU version, as of the end of the first Dr. Strange movie. For reasons of convenience (and because I don't really have time at the moment to come up with a not-stupid scenario), each assumes the other is an antagonist, and they fight.

For variety: you can throw in Harry's friends, Dumbledore, Voldemort, etc. Strange can have Wong. I'm not sure whether it's even a fight with the Eye of Agametto if he uses the Time Stone to simply like un-birth Harry or something ridiculous like that. So Eye of Agametto is up to the poster, if they can come up with a suitable HP counterpart. For the same reason, having the Ancient One in the picture would just be absurd, but if you want to run that scenario, have fun. As for artifacts such as the invisibility cloak, Elder Wand, Cloak of Levitation, and the Wand of Watoomb, put them in if you feel like it. Nico Minoru's Staff of One is in the Doctor Strange movie, if you know anything about it from Runaways (I don't)...

Second scenario: Gellert Grindelwald, in the 1930s ish, gets his hands on the pages from that one book in Kamar-Taj and strikes a deal with Dormammu, a la Kaelicius. Can he handle the power? Could he be countered by the existing Ministries of Magic and the Fantastic Creatures era characters? Will they have to call in the Ancient One to back them up? Is Grindelwald still going to want to use the Obscurus, or is he going to be powerful enough that he won't need it? And so forth...

Have fun, y'all.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Doctor Strange vs. Harry Potter

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-05-24 07:28pm A real quick versus that I've been thinking about lately. If this has already been posted, feel free to lock.

Harry Potter after his graduation from Hogwarts (they had to have given him and his year a token graduation ceremony, right? one would like to hope so)
You'd think.

IIRC, Rowling said somewhere that of the three main characters, only Hermione went back to finish her last year. Harry still got to be an auror because, I guess, when you kill Voldemort they waive the test for becoming a dark wizard catcher.
encounters one Dr. Stephen Strange, Master of the Mystic Arts, MCU version, as of the end of the first Dr. Strange movie. For reasons of convenience (and because I don't really have time at the moment to come up with a not-stupid scenario), each assumes the other is an antagonist, and they fight.
Maybe Strange wants to collect the Deathly Hallows for safe-keeping, and Harry refuses to hand the over to a total stranger?
For variety: you can throw in Harry's friends, Dumbledore, Voldemort, etc. Strange can have Wong.
Well, expand this broadly enough, and it becomes a full-on MCU/Avengers/SHILED versus wizards war.

If you keep it to close friends... hmm, let's say the surviving members of the Order of the Phoneix and Dumbledore's Army, against the rest of the Ancient One's apprentices/students under Strange's command?
I'm not sure whether it's even a fight with the Eye of Agametto if he uses the Time Stone to simply like un-birth Harry or something ridiculous like that. So Eye of Agametto is up to the poster, if they can come up with a suitable HP counterpart. For the same reason, having the Ancient One in the picture would just be absurd, but if you want to run that scenario, have fun. As for artifacts such as the invisibility cloak, Elder Wand, Cloak of Levitation, and the Wand of Watoomb, put them in if you feel like it. Nico Minoru's Staff of One is in the Doctor Strange movie, if you know anything about it from Runaways (I don't)...
If we give Strange the Eye of Agamotto plus his other artifacts, I think its only fair that we give Potter a broomstick and all three Deathly Hallows as well.

Though really, either could take the other out in this scenario, I think. Potter can nail Strange in an ambush from under the cloak, and Strange can fuck Potter up six ways to Sunday with the Eye.

Without artifacts... honestly, Strange seems to have more power than Potter, but Potterverse magic seems more versatile in some ways. That said, I suspect Strange can block most spells Potter could throw at him, though apparition and invisibility spells may enable Potter to escape.
Second scenario: Gellert Grindelwald, in the 1930s ish, gets his hands on the pages from that one book in Kamar-Taj and strikes a deal with Dormammu, a la Kaelicius. Can he handle the power? Could he be countered by the existing Ministries of Magic and the Fantastic Creatures era characters? Will they have to call in the Ancient One to back them up? Is Grindelwald still going to want to use the Obscurus, or is he going to be powerful enough that he won't need it? And so forth...

Have fun, y'all.
I don't know if Grindlewald could handle it, but I expect Dormammu to try to screw him over.

Depending on how much Dormammu boosts him, he might very well be able to surpass the Obscurus's power and breach the Statute of Secrecy irreparably, unless the Eye is used to undo it.

Or Dormammu affecting our world could have that effect.

In that case, its just the Battle of New York and its fall-out several decades early, but worse, because there's no SHIELD yet, and having whole wizarding nations living in secret on Earth, and the political conflicts that will arise from that, will be a nightmare.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

For convenience let's keep SHIELD/Avengers out of it at the moment. That's a bigger discussion than I want to have currently. Just the good Doctor and his companion.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, while Mordo is an enemy by the very end of the Dr Strange movie, you can include him if you like since he's an ally throughout most of the film.

Bear in mind that Dr Strange demonstrates a casual ability to enter alternate dimensions, and his version of teleportation is arguably safer than Apparation. Among other things.

If you use Infinity War Dr. Strange... we get a whole bunch of very interesting powers to play with. But we're not there yet :D
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

The timing sets this in Harry's favor. Why? Harry Potter has had 7 years of experience in combat magic.

Doctor Strange, by the time the first film ends, has only been at it for . . . about 9 months at best.

Just in terms of combat experience, Harry has an unfair advantage.

Though the time between "I'm just starting out" to "I'm punking Asgardians" in Thor III is only 6 months (!). So . . . honestly, we can use his Infinity War feats if we are setting the time for Thor III in this setup. Otherwise, HP got an unfair tactical advantage, IMO.

So, let's break it down:

Physical ability: Where Harry Potter is an athlete for sure, Doctor Strange is trained in Martial Arts for his athleticism. And with his capacity to absorb skills like a sponge, I give him the advantage in a close-up fight.

Mobility: Harry can really get moving with his Broom. He is only an amateur in apparition and that has a severe limit on its usability and range. Stephen can use his Sling Ring to traverse across the globe, and into other dimensions. He can also Astral project, allowing him to spy unseen while his body is hidden somewhere safe. With the cloak of levitation, he can fly and leave his arms and legs free to act. Stephen has the advantage here.

Defense: Harry has magical defenses. The Protego Charm is mostly seen as a sort of block or shield parry counterspell (though this can be bypassed). It apparently can be cast on clothing to give it an armor-like effect. It's a decent defense. Harry also has strong mental defenses through specific training. Doctor Strange has 3 main methods of defense. One is the Mandala Shields he conjures for his hands to block incoming attacks. The limits of their durability are not known. The Cloak of Invisibility allows him visual invisibility that cannot be magically breached. The Cloak of Levitation also acts as a defense and counter-attacking force, grasping close in attackers and deflecting incoming attacks when it can. The third is protective spells placed on his person. Strange takes no small amount of hits and keeps on trucking. This is likely due to enchantments in his outfit. This is not explicitly mentioned, but between what we've seen and what was done to the Eye of Agamoto, we know it's possible. Strange's mental defense is unknown, but he did survive torture and who knows what other probes in Infinity War without breaking, so there is that. Thanks to Invisibility, Harry has an advantage here.

Offense: Now we get to the magic proper. We'll split this into subcategories.

Versatility
Harry's Offensive Spells: Expelliarmus (disarms, his go-to spell), Confundus (Confuses), Stupefy (Stuns), Patronus (Shields from Dark Creatures, can act against spirit attacks), Accio (summons objects), Reducto (force blast, able to destroy stone blocks, roughly a grenades worth of power), Sectumsempra (cuts the foe and causes them to bleed heavily from many wounds), Oppungo (destroy an object). He has the capacity to use the three killing curses, but it is not legal for him to do so, and he needs a lot of impetus to do so.

Stephen's offensive spells: Eldritch Energy spells (creation of bludgeons, whips, and swords of eldritch energy to attack foes in close to medium ranges). Strange is able to transmute objects though the specifics are not known, but they do include transmuting energy into living matter directly. In IW he showed control over wind, the ability to make anime-esque shadow clones (able to affect the real world, but with little solidity to themselves), and what i really want to call "The Crimson Bands of Cyttorak" as massive red metallic whips to grab and hold a target.

While Harry has more known spells, Stephen can do more with what spells he knows. So I give that one to Stephen.

Range:
Spell Range in Harry Potter is dominated by Line of sight, but we never really see a spell acting over more than a few dozen yards that often. Strange has a similar range.

Power:
Harry's range of destruction is generally limited to blasting a ton or so of stone. Perhaps less. Strange's magic doesn't really have direct damage spells. He has an energy sword, but we don't know it's cutting ability. So, until we see more, Harry gets this one.

So of the 4 major categories. Strange takes Physical and Mobility. Harry takes Defense. And Offense is pretty even.

With 2 categories over 1 with a tie between, I think Strange can take Harry's Deathly Hollows.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

All Strange has to do to defeat Harry is to send him into the mirror dimension, and leave him there for a few days without food.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Solauren wrote: 2018-05-27 05:36pm All Strange has to do to defeat Harry is to send him into the mirror dimension, and leave him there for a few days without food.
The question here then is whether Harry is going to be aware of this-- it took Kaelicius a minute to realize he was in the mirror dimension-- and whether HPverse magic does anything with alternate dimensions. Diagon Alley and Grimmauld Place could well be examples of such, as well as Newt Scamander's suitcase and Hermione's handbag.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Dr. Strange uses his portal things to cut off opponent's head, which he also should have done in the films.

End.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-05-29 11:59am
Solauren wrote: 2018-05-27 05:36pm All Strange has to do to defeat Harry is to send him into the mirror dimension, and leave him there for a few days without food.
The question here then is whether Harry is going to be aware of this-- it took Kaelicius a minute to realize he was in the mirror dimension-- and whether HPverse magic does anything with alternate dimensions. Diagon Alley and Grimmauld Place could well be examples of such, as well as Newt Scamander's suitcase and Hermione's handbag.
I think this hinges on the question of whether he can apparate out of the mirror dimension. I don't know that there's any way to answer that question.
K. A. Pital wrote: 2018-05-29 01:08pm Dr. Strange uses his portal things to cut off opponent's head, which he also should have done in the films.

End.
Yet he didn't.

I mean, maybe I guy who's professional background is "doctor" (you know, "first, do no harm"), and who's new to magical warfare, doesn't immediately leap to lethal force?

If they're both acting in-character (and if they're not, this isn't actually Potter vs. Strange, its two kill-bots who look like them), then neither is going to escalate straight to lethal force, though Strange likely will before Potter does.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I don't remember any portal slices in Doctor Strange, so is it even possible?
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-05-29 02:10pm I don't remember any portal slices in Doctor Strange, so is it even possible?
In Infinity War, Strange slices off a foe's hand that way, although it doesn't appear to be intentional.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Bob the Gunslinger wrote: 2018-05-29 10:02pm
Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-05-29 02:10pm I don't remember any portal slices in Doctor Strange, so is it even possible?
In Infinity War, Strange slices off a foe's hand that way, although it doesn't appear to be intentional.
I suspect the portal slices are not normally used as a weapon mostly because it would be awkward to use them as such; they require a bit of setup (the sling-ring and the little hand gestures), and most of Strange's likely opponents will be familiar with them as they seem to be pretty basic beginner-level magic. One could certainly attempt to close a portal as another passes through it but they're pretty much instantaneous, so you'd have to be very fast on the uptake.

Another thing about them-- the portals themselves don't move once opened, so the person being targeted has to move through it at some point for a portal-slice to be an option. Are we really expecting Harry Potter to see an open portal and just stick his face through?
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

A) It was not Strange that did the Portal Slice - It was Wong

LOKI VS STRANGE.

B) Strange remote sucker portals Loki into whatever falling realm he sent him to

C) Strange literally moves the open portal to Odin at Loki and Thor to kick them out of the Sanctum

Is Strange going to take Harry's head off with a portal - Unlikely unless Harry dodges or moves badly
Is it possible for Strange to sucker portal Harry so fast he cannot even react - Yes
Is it possible for Strange to sucker portal Harry at long range without even being there - Yes
Is it possible to open multiple concurrent portals in rapid sequence - Yes, Strange does this in Infinity War.

Although, thanks to the timestone. Strange looks at every single possible future and picks the one that allows him to beat any foe he goes up against.
The end.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-05-29 11:59am
Since you had to be a minimum age of 17 to learn Apparation, which is local dimensional movement, and Harry hadn't learnt in in school yet, I'm going to assume that he doesn't know Interdimensional movement yet.

Also, HP Magic can not create food apparently.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

That's simply incorrect. They have an apparition class in book six, and Harry and company use it extensively in book seven.

There's a legal age limit on using it, and I think a license (its basically like driving for wizards). I think its seventeen for the age limit to use it unsupervised, seventeen being the age of legal adulthood in Wizarding Britain.

Granted, knowing how to apparate is not the same as being able to use it effectively enough to dodge curses in combat, the way Dumbledore did, nor is it a guarantee that they'll be able to use it to apparate out of another dimension. Though they very well might, given that a lot of the Wizarding World seems to be in basically pocket dimensions, and I don't recall there being a prohibition on aparating in, say, Diagon Alley.

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

He has the capacity to use the three killing curses, but it is not legal for him to do so, and he needs a lot of impetus to do so.
You mean the three unforgivable ones, which are mind control, pain, and killing (the latter of which is like the Dalek weapon- kills without leaving a mark).