Something big

View original artwork, poems, etc. that have been created by this forum's members.

Moderator: Beowulf

Abacus
Jedi Knight

Re: Something big

Post by Abacus »

I like the changes being made to the model. I think the addition of those ventral turrets is, tactically, a smart idea.
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"
PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig »

It is up on his site
Bullets always have the right of away
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Here it is:

4k source in link to my site

EDIT: not sure why my image as URL code is not working, but here's the bare link:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ZrAKR/
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

fractalsponge1 wrote: 2018-05-17 09:58am Here it is:

4k source in link to my site

EDIT: not sure why my image as URL code is not working, but here's the bare link:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ZrAKR/
Absolutely gorgeous.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Indeed. As much as I love pretty much all of your big ships, there is something so iconic about the ISD that elevates it above the rest.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig »

It looks great and wonderful.
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

looks awesome. the only detraction i can see is that, for me anyway, the 'chin' ventral turrets look either too tall or too far forward. in the side profile especially they're a rather noticeable deviation from the lines of the rest of the ship.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Marko Dash wrote: 2018-05-18 01:12am looks awesome. the only detraction i can see is that, for me anyway, the 'chin' ventral turrets look either too tall or too far forward. in the side profile especially they're a rather noticeable deviation from the lines of the rest of the ship.
That actually doesn't bother me at all. I kind of like it, because it seems far more realistic in terms of battery placement.
Geforce
Redshirt

Post by Geforce »

First of all....it's absolutely gorgeous :D :luv:

but...for myself as a detail extremist

The turrets are there... are quite a bit larger aren't they, and placed further forward too. Is it possible to size the triples down and the octets up?

Weedle McHairybug
Youngling

Post by Weedle McHairybug »

Pretty good Rogue One Star Destroyer, fractal. Definitely worthy of an ILM ship.

Speaking of ILM ships, though, a bit off topic, but I really need to know this: Was the Supremacy entirely computer-generated, or did they have an ILM set model for it akin to the Executor? Might as well ask the same for the actual Rogue One Star Destroyers. I know from the Star Wars Launch Bay photos that at for Rogue One, at the very least the Death Star, the U-Wing, Krennic's shuttle, and the TIE fighters are actual ILM set props, and that for The Last Jedi, at least the Mandator IV, TIE/fo fighter, the Resistance Bomber, Millennium Falcon, TIE Silencer, the AT-M6, and the Resistance ski speeder were also actual ILM set props instead of CGI (possibly also any ILM set props that were seen in the Force Awakens section of the Launch Bay as well).
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

AFAIK, apart from the Warfare of Star Wars book or whatever it was called that he did a few pictures for, Fractal hasn't been involved with Star Wars on an official level and I don't think that's changed.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Weedle McHairybug
Youngling

Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-05-21 06:45pm AFAIK, apart from the Warfare of Star Wars book or whatever it was called that he did a few pictures for, Fractal hasn't been involved with Star Wars on an official level and I don't think that's changed.
Sorry for asking, it's just that I really have no idea about whether they used pure CGI or the ILM models for the Supremacy. Bing images yield no results.

Well, good luck with any other projects, Fractalsponge.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

I've never been involved in SW other than for a book. But, I can tell you about the process a bit: Supremacy was CGI - and a lot of detail was ripped off of the R1 ISD model to fill it out. To my knowledge there is no set model for this. The R1 hero ISD model was CGI. I'm not too sure about the rest.

Animation:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/q1292
Weedle McHairybug
Youngling

fractalsponge1 wrote: 2018-05-22 10:53am I've never been involved in SW other than for a book. But, I can tell you about the process a bit: Supremacy was CGI - and a lot of detail was ripped off of the R1 ISD model to fill it out. To my knowledge there is no set model for this. The R1 hero ISD model was CGI. I'm not too sure about the rest.

Animation:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/q1292
So, no set model. Shame really, I really loved looking at ILM models, especially the Executor, just loved the design.

And nice turntable.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Re-textured the Consolidator, added vehicle/cargo elevators.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/1JVZG
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Solid looking ship, almost Corellian in its design.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

My version of the classic X-Wing/TIE Fighter assault transport. 32.5m long, spacetrooper hatches at top. Assault docking system from the stormtrooper transport. 4 warhead launchers, 4x single LTL, 4x ion cannon.

Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

The top gun was a bit jarring to see, at first, but after looking the whole thing over...it's alright.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

is the front gun something that retracts in atosmphere to pop up again once landed?
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

madd0ct0r wrote: 2018-06-15 08:40am is the front gun something that retracts in atosmphere to pop up again once landed?
No. It's not like it's supposed to be aerodynamic.
Geforce
Redshirt

Post by Geforce »

First, I find the ship superhot :D as old tie fighter player and emperor`s hammer member 8)

1.but why did not you make the ship 45m long?

and 2. The front laser canons are too big...is it still possible to reander a ship with smaller canons?it does not look current harmonious :(
PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig »

Geforce wrote: 2018-06-15 04:22pm First, I find the ship superhot :D as old tie fighter player and emperor`s hammer member 8)

1.but why did not you make the ship 45m long?

and 2. The front laser canons are too big...is it still possible to reander a ship with smaller canons?it does not look current harmonious :(
1) check the tread on the site 2) artist discretion
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

fractalsponge1 wrote: 2018-06-15 11:26am
madd0ct0r wrote: 2018-06-15 08:40am is the front gun something that retracts in atosmphere to pop up again once landed?
No. It's not like it's supposed to be aerodynamic.
but the rest of the ship is aerodymamic (or nods to it).
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig »

FS new 4k update has bought this full circle