Thundercats Roar

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Thundercats Roar

Post by Sidewinder »

I saw an EXTREMELY negative review of 'ThunderCats Roar', the latest reboot of the 1985 cartoon. The character designs I saw in the review reminded me of that from 'Steven Universe'.

Has anyone seen the trailer for 'ThunderCats Roar'? Anyone find the character designs appealing? Anyone like the injection of humor in the show? Or do you share the reviewer's opinions?
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Re: Thundercats Roar

Post by tezunegari »

There is no Thundercarts Roar.

It's a fever dream.

It is fake.

Heresy.

The 2011 version is superior in any form imaginable.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I liked the 2011 version, what I saw of it. I wish I could find the whole series.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Jesus Christ. Those animations are an abomination and an insult to Thundercats.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I don't think the character designs are right for Thundercats, unless the objective was to do an explicit parody of it (and it's not really big enough to parody).

If they'd wanted to do an SD Thundercats then something more similar to Teen Titans Go would have worked better.

But really why. The 2011 version was pretty good, but they killed that off.

I think we just have to face it that dramatic animation in the west peaked with and ended at Avatar.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

There was a 2011 version of Thundercats? [unzips pants] FUCK THAT. You may as well take a time machine and molest me as a child.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Raw Shark wrote: 2018-05-20 01:05pm There was a 2011 version of Thundercats? [unzips pants] FUCK THAT. You may as well take a time machine and molest me as a child.
Yes. And it was quite good. It was by Sam Register who did Transformers: Animated (AKA the best one).

It put effort into giving the characters more depth and growth than was afforded by a late '80s toy commercial show.

But it did not sell enough toys and so it was killed.
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Kukuruyo wrote:The drawing style for success (not)

A new Thundercats series was announced, and the choice for drawing style was hugely rejected by both fans of the series and overall everyone whos tired of series in the last years having the exact same “tumblr” designs. It’s more or less common than in each era most series tend to a similar type of aesthetic, but the problem in this case is that the prevalent drawing is a huge downgrade in quality from the cartoon series of decades back, to the point this is already been called “the dark age” of animation. A big blame on this comes from the CalArts school of animation, in which they teach people to downgrade their drawing quality and draw all in the same fashion; and there’s also the problem of how animation studios now seem to be trying to pander to Tumblr instead of long standing fans or the overall public.
Does anyone agree with Kukuruyo's (a SPANISH artist's) assessment?

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

I don't- the newer designs are not a downgrade in quality. A downgrade in realism to be sure, but they're far smoother animation quality and stylized =/= easier. Also calling it tumblr...? That sounds like someone who doesn't hang out on tumblr or know much about it, just tosses in the term because they don't like it and knows tumblr folk like SU.

I was against it at first, but honestly the level of backlash makes me consider giving it a try. It's still going to be an action show and the designs seem like they can do action. If it does at least ok, that increases, long-term, the odds of us seeing future Thundercat shows, maybe more realistic or anime-esque designs again when another style is ascendant. That and, well, we know *jack squat* about the writing.
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Q99 wrote: 2018-05-20 11:56pm It's still going to be an action show and the designs seem like they can do action.
The character designs seem to emphasize comedic aspects instead of those appropriate to the 1985 and 2011 series.
That and, well, we know *jack squat* about the writing.
The fact Lion-O refers to his sword as a "magic slicing stick" suggests the character's intelligence was downgraded. If the producer emphasized the comedic aspects instead- outright stated he was producing an "affectionate parody," i.e., a RWBY Chibi to the 1985 and 2011 series' RWBY- I suspect the backlash would be less intense.

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

If I had stumbled upon this without reading this thread, I would have bet on it being a joke because I thought the same thing when I saw TT:GO. Now, maybe released on it's own Teen Titan's Go could have been ok, but even going a "different direction" Go is a shit-fest compared to the phenomenally great Teen Titans. Teen Titans, among more than a few other DC animated cartoons, just had no business being as good as they were.

I was actually never a huge Thundercats fan.... might be a good thing considering.