Texas school shooting happening now

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Texas school shooting happening now

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Yup here we go again...
https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/05/18/us/tex ... index.html

— A shooting has been reported at a high school in the southeastern Texas city of Santa Fe, officials said Friday.
A gunman walked into an art class at Santa Fe High School and began firing what looked like a shotgun, a witness told CNN affiliate KTRK.
The witness told KTRK she saw a girl shot in the leg.
Patients from the school are being taken to a hospital in the nearby city of Galveston, hospital spokesman Raul Reyes said. He did not say how many.
While a certain hope no one is killed and the shooter is brought to justice... all I can think about is that had this happened in a liberal state. The right would within 24 hours be crowing about how if only there were more guns at the school this wouldn’t have happened
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Re: Texas school shooting happening now

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Instead, they'll be crowing about the lack of guns and the lack of prayer, as well as ineffectual law enforcement response.

Then, they'll get nasty.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Turns out I tangentially know one of the parents of one of the students at the school (NOT shot) Through a shared online chatroom.
All morning he was going crazy worried his kid was hurt, now that it is all over he's freaking out about just one thing:
"How did these kids get guns?"

This guy is an ok guy, but I know he is also a die hard NRA "from my cold dead hands" gun type, and he is finding it UNTHINKABLE how kids could have possibly got ahold of guns, stating the parents should be held personally responsible for every death at the school...
I find the response emblematic of the rights thoughts in general on the topic which is normally:
"GUNS! MORE GUNS! GUNS EVERYWHERE!"
followed by:
"How could this have possibly happened???"
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

At least he didn't go to the school with his dick a weapon in his pants and a flag in hand, chanting "Make America Great Again!" like some other asshole did.

Glad to hear his kid was all right. Maybe this scared some sense into him
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Apparently this guy was wearing a "born to kill" t-shirt, and a witness was saying he would wear a trench coat despite the warm weather.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Lt Governor Dan Patrick says the schools need to be re-designed to allow only one exit because having more than one exit is to blame for this slaughter.

Apparently, Dan Patrick is a fan of canned hunts.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Elfdart wrote: 2018-05-18 05:57pm Lt Governor Dan Patrick says the schools need to be re-designed to allow only one exit because having more than one exit is to blame for this slaughter.

Apparently, Dan Patrick is a fan of canned hunts.
That is so fantastically stupid that, like the cuts to ebola treatment and firing the guy in charge of pandemics right as ebola is making a comeback, it honestly makes me wonder, just for a moment, if they are actually trying to maximize the number of deaths.
U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-05-18 01:08pm At least he didn't go to the school with his dick a weapon in his pants and a flag in hand, chanting "Make America Great Again!" like some other asshole did.

Glad to hear his kid was all right. Maybe this scared some sense into him
Let me get this straight: someone heard there was a school shooting going on, and their first thought was "Hey, I'm going to go down with a WEAPON to an ACTIVE SHOOTING SCENE"? Or are you talking about someone doing it days or weeks later as a protest?

Because, even leaving aside the obvious sociopathy of someone who's that desperate to be the first to rub salt in the wounds of grieving families for their political agenda, any fucker stupid enough to do THAT is lucky the police didn't shoot him.

Or maybe not. Police tend to treat white conservatives with a lot more restraint than they do most other folks.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I give up. Nothing is going to change. The people in charge don't give a fuck and don't mind collateral damage.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

They never did and never will. Problem is the people voting for them don't either as long as it's not their children
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2018-05-18 05:19pmApparently this guy was wearing a "born to kill" t-shirt, and a witness was saying he would wear a trench coat despite the warm weather.
I would laugh at the mental picture if ten people weren't dead. Seriously, could he possibly be any more of a stereotypical edgelord?
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Broomstick wrote: 2018-05-18 06:31pm I give up. Nothing is going to change. The people in charge don't give a fuck and don't mind collateral damage.
Everything changes. This will too. But it seldom happens quickly.

And by the time it does, a lot more innocent people will likely have died. And all that blood will be on the hands of the NRA and its allies.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Let me get this straight: someone heard there was a school shooting going on, and their first thought was "Hey, I'm going to go down with a WEAPON to an ACTIVE SHOOTING SCENE"? Or are you talking about someone doing it days or weeks later as a protest?
A weapon, a flag, and a MAGA slogan. Yes, indeedy
A man holding a large American flag, carrying a gun, was at the scene of the Sante Fe High School shooting in Texas and said “Make America Great Again”.

He was speaking to local KHOU-TV reporters near the scene where Texas governor Greg Abbott said ten people have died, which ten others were injured. The man said he was there to “offer support” but it was unclear what kind of support he was offering by echoing US President Donald Trump’s now-famous slogan.

“‘God bless ya’ll’ will go a long way...right now,” the man said before walking away when it was clear he was openly carrying a pistol on his right hip, clipped to his shorts. An unidentified then appeared on camera, chastising the first man.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-05-18 07:13pm
Broomstick wrote: 2018-05-18 06:31pm I give up. Nothing is going to change. The people in charge don't give a fuck and don't mind collateral damage.

And by the time it does, a lot more innocent people will likely have died. And all that blood will be on the hands of the NRA and its allies.
Everything changes. It's just been my experience that it changes for the worst.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-05-18 07:18pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-05-18 07:13pm

Everything changes. It's just been my experience that it changes for the worst.
Its hard not to be cynical at times like this, but in a lot of measurable ways (life expectancy and infant mortality come immediately to mind), the world is objectively better now than it has been for most of human history.

But the thought that one day it will be better is small comfort to those suffering and dying now.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-05-18 07:16pm
The Romulan Republic wrote:Let me get this straight: someone heard there was a school shooting going on, and their first thought was "Hey, I'm going to go down with a WEAPON to an ACTIVE SHOOTING SCENE"? Or are you talking about someone doing it days or weeks later as a protest?
A weapon, a flag, and a MAGA slogan. Yes, indeedy
A man holding a large American flag, carrying a gun, was at the scene of the Sante Fe High School shooting in Texas and said “Make America Great Again”.

He was speaking to local KHOU-TV reporters near the scene where Texas governor Greg Abbott said ten people have died, which ten others were injured. The man said he was there to “offer support” but it was unclear what kind of support he was offering by echoing US President Donald Trump’s now-famous slogan.

“‘God bless ya’ll’ will go a long way...right now,” the man said before walking away when it was clear he was openly carrying a pistol on his right hip, clipped to his shorts. An unidentified then appeared on camera, chastising the first man.
I mean, I applaud police restraint, but in all seriousness- he walked into an active shooting scene carrying a gun and was allowed to just walk out? Not even stopped and questioned?

Oh, right. Conservative white guy in Texas.

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

The Romulan Republic wrote: Oh, right. Conservative white guy in Texas.
Got it in one.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

MR. TOUCHDOWN: You write 'Born to Kill' on your helmet and you wear a peace button? What's that supposed to be, some kind of sick joke!?

JOKER: No, Sir.

MR. TOUCHDOWN: You'd better get your head and your ass wired together, or I will take a giant shit on you!

JOKER: Yes, Sir.

MR. TOUCHDOWN: Now answer my question or you will be standing tall before the man.

JOKER: I think I was trying to suggest something about the duality of man, Sir.

MR. TOUCHDOWN: The what?

JOKER: The duality of man. The Jungian thing, Sir.

MR. TOUCHDOWN: Whose side are you on, son?

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

20 weeks, 22 school shootings. Kinda sad that gun violence in US schools is now a weekly feature.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Wild Zontargs
Padawan Learner

Post by Wild Zontargs »

What were they supposed to do?
Pagourtzis is not known to have any criminal record, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott told reporters.

Officials have not released any information about motive.

Authorities found writings in the Texas shooting suspect's journals that indicated he wanted to take his own life, Abbott said.

There was information "contained in journals on his computer and his cell phone that he said that not only did he want to commit the shooting, but he wanted to commit suicide after the shooting," Abbott said.

"As you probably know, he gave himself up and admitted at the time he didn't have the courage to commit the suicide, that he wanted to take his own life earlier," Abbott said.

[...]

Abbott told reporters the alleged shooter used a shotgun and a revolver that were legally owned by his father.

The shooter was hiding a shotgun underneath such a coat on Friday morning when he walked onto the campus, Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick said at news conference Friday afternoon.
Even the strongest gun control proposals short of "ban them all" wouldn't have helped here. No guns under 25? They weren't his. No semi-auto? They weren't.

No criminal record. No psych record. No reason to have the kid on a list beyond being an "edgy teen" and "really quiet", which would probably include a good chunk of the school population. It's not like he was carrying around a sign saying "I'm suicidal and want attention so badly I'll kill people to get it!"
Доверяй, но проверяй
"Ugh. I hate agreeing with Zontargs." -- Alyrium Denryle
"What you are is abject human trash who is very good at dodging actual rule violations while still being human trash." -- Alyrium Denryle
iustitia socialis delenda est
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Wild Zontargs wrote: 2018-05-19 08:21am
What were they supposed to do?
So we're going with the ever accurate Onion headline: ‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens?
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Wild Zontargs wrote: 2018-05-19 08:21amEven the strongest gun control proposals short of "ban them all" wouldn't have helped here. No guns under 25? They weren't his. No semi-auto? They weren't.

No criminal record. No psych record. No reason to have the kid on a list beyond being an "edgy teen" and "really quiet", which would probably include a good chunk of the school population. It's not like he was carrying around a sign saying "I'm suicidal and want attention so badly I'll kill people to get it!"
Sadly true. I'm sure local law-enforcement will have a few pointed words of advice for his dad about keeping his shotgun safely under lock and key, but I guess there's only so much you can do to legislate against carelessness.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Wild Zontargs
Padawan Learner

Post by Wild Zontargs »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-05-19 08:25amSo we're going with the ever accurate Onion headline: ‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens?
No, I'm asking what people think would have prevented this shooting. If this shooting is proof that "[n]othing is going to change. The people in charge don't give a fuck and don't mind collateral damage" then what were they supposed to have done differently? Airport style controlled access and screening? Mandatory psych evals? Repeal the 2nd? What?
Доверяй, но проверяй
"What you are is abject human trash who is very good at dodging actual rule violations while still being human trash." -- Alyrium Denryle
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

In this specific case, I would go with adding some language to the permit conditions requiring firearms owners to have adequately secure storage arrangements, and doing the occasional spot-check to make sure they're remembering to lock their weapons up when they're not in use. It's not a perfect solution by a long chalk but it's a step in the right direction.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

That plus better provision of mental health and counselling at schools. Or hell repeal the second sounds good albiet impossible to me as a brit.

Even conceding that this specific incident could not have been stopped that's hardly Broomsticks point. As She's happy to say, she's been around for a long while and we've all seen many of these incidents happen, there's nothing about this one incident that proves 'nothing will change' it's just its the latest in the long string of incidents where nothing has changed because they've not stopped happening.
Wild Zontargs
Padawan Learner

Post by Wild Zontargs »

Zaune wrote: 2018-05-19 08:59am In this specific case, I would go with adding some language to the permit conditions requiring firearms owners to have adequately secure storage arrangements, and doing the occasional spot-check to make sure they're remembering to lock their weapons up when they're not in use. It's not a perfect solution by a long chalk but it's a step in the right direction.
Honest question, as I've not seen anything specific to this: do we know he didn't have them locked up? If (for whatever reason) he knew where the key was / what the combination was, he could have stolen them from secured storage just prior to the shooting. If the father made a good faith effort to secure the guns, I'm not sure we can expect much more.

If he didn't, yeah, that's just dumb. Secure storage is mandatory up here in Canuckistan.
Доверяй, но проверяй