Canada's Helicontainer-Ships (RAR!)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Zor
Sith Acolyte

Canada's Helicontainer-Ships (RAR!)

Post by Zor »

In this scenario today the Prime Minister of Canada makes a grand announcement. At a press conference to the world he announces that Canadian scientists and engineers have made a major breakthrough and have basically devised basically this technology...
...with the fans basically being large cooling systems for repulsors. But as Canada is not a hyper militaristic country instead of building aircraft carriers to serve as huge money pits instead they built five vehicles that are the flying version of this...
...container ships. Each craft is 300 meters long, has a maximum altitude of 8,000 meters above sea level, has a top speed of 150km/h and can carry about 120,000 tonnes of containerized cargo with a range of 100,000 km before needing refueling it's reactor. These vehicles will be operated by Skyfreight Canada: a Crown Corporation. The US and China have signed a trade agreement allowing Skyfreight Canada to operate in their nations in exchange for selling them lift modules for their own commercial ventures at $500,000,000 a unit (with each freighter needing at least three with four being preferable for redunancy's sake). Both nations both five years away from developing their own repulsor founderies that can match Canada and the rest of the world is at least ten years away from this development. In the meantime Canada can build two new Helicontainer Ships every year and there are plans to double that in two year's time even with half of the repulsor units being sold to the states and china.

What happens?

Zor
Last edited by Zor on 2018-05-15 10:08am, edited 1 time in total.
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/ind
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/tra
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Re: Canada's Helicontainer-Ships (RAR!)

Post by Tribble »

Trump demands the tech as part of Nafta, then uses it to build carriers
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Tribble beat me to it. Also Russia, China, France, the UK, and perhaps Germany, in partnership with one or several of the other European powers, will develop militarized helicarriers.

(possibly one or all three of the South American ABC powers as well)

And, the RCN and RCAF will probably operate a helicarrier for national defense, to satisfy its obligations as part of NORAD, and its commitment to various UN peacekeeping missions.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

What the hell powers those things?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

what are the advantages of these things over regular container ships? As Zixinus says what powers them and how does it compare to the cost for regular container ships.

What is the Canadian government actually going to transport with five of these things? Compared to how many regular ships they've got to compete with?

They're a curio nothing more.
Dass.Kapital
Padawan Learner

Post by Dass.Kapital »

Zixinus wrote: 2018-05-15 12:21pm What the hell powers those things?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_ ... Propulsion

Nuke jet-turbines

Coupled with

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_XV-5_Vertifan

Jet blown lift fans.

:D
Highlord Laan wrote:Agatha Heterodyne built a squadron of flying pigs and an overgunned robot reindeer in a cave! With a box of scraps!
"And low, I have cometh, the destroyer of threads."
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-05-15 12:29pm what are the advantages of these things over regular container ships? As Zixinus says what powers them and how does it compare to the cost for regular container ships.

What is the Canadian government actually going to transport with five of these things? Compared to how many regular ships they've got to compete with?

They can do 150 km/h, which is, what, 8-10 times faster than a normal container ship but still carrying 120,000 tonnes of cargo. That gives you a pretty good market for things that need to be moved quickly but are too big/heavy for regular air freight.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

They can fly above storms that would hamper containerized shipping. They can also use air travel routes and not be constrained by ice floes, land masses, the Panama Canal and the like.

Knowing Zor, they are either powered by whatever powers the MCU helicarriers, or he's assumed a post-scarcity economy which would make them economically competitive with container ships.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Thorium Nuclear reactors. In a pinch diesel engines and similar can power them as well.
Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-05-15 12:29pm what are the advantages of these things over regular container ships?
Container ships travel at 37km/h, these vehicles travel at 150km/h. They can reach places that container ships can't, don't have to worry about storms.

Zor
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
KraytKing
Jedi Knight

Post by KraytKing »

Depending on the energy requirements, they may be prohibitively expensive to operate non-commercially. Operating a regular aircraft carrier is expensive enough. I would think that only the richest nations could afford to fly one, and only then as a flagship, certainly not more than a couple.

They sure will be powerful. Massive increase in deployment speed and flexibility for a military force. Hell, I can imagine someone setting up a cruise service with these things, for a ticket in the low millions. As container ships, they'll be pretty helpful in a) shipping to remote locations and b) moving ridiculous quantities fucking anywhere.

Edit: Just saw the bit about range. 100,000 kilometers before needing more nuclear fuel? And how much nuclear fuel do they consume per... tank?
If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.
--Mace

The Old Testament has as much validity for the foundation of a religion as the pattern my recent case of insect bites formed on my ass.
--Solauren

I always get nervous when I hear the word Christian.
--Mountain

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-05-15 12:29pm what are the advantages of these things over regular container ships? As Zixinus says what powers them and how does it compare to the cost for regular container ships.

To put it in perspective i was once involved in a project to survey and cost 700 bridges and hundreds of miles of track to allow double deck freight container trains access Birmingham uk from the deepwater port that can handle it (felixstowe) purely to avoid london track. Being able to ship direct between two non-port cities is huge.
The extra speed means their capacity is almost tripled. They will carry that much more per year.

You'd see different patterns of factory construction - focusing on these air depots, perhaps using lakes and available resources like skilled population, thermal energy, close to input material like wood. Land by ports is already built up so these may be cheaper. Or you may see docks built at existing concentrations of industry.

Russia celebrates having an all year trade dock system. China aggressively opens its west up.

Dehli builds two dock complexes capable of holding a dozen carriers during loading/unloading.

Do the UN use one for emergency/disaster resource deployment? Depends if the carriers are truly flexible in landing.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

So... Dehli builds enough capacity for 24 cargo ships (not carriers. They're not carriers) when there is five in existence?

Say capacity is tripled. That's the equivalent of 15 container ships.

I just googled and there are about 50,000 container ships in the world. These flying ones needed to be a hell of a lot more effective to be worth it.

As E_F says, these seem to fill a niche of transporting really big heavy objects quickly for a lot of money.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Zor wrote: 2018-05-15 01:34pm
Thorium Nuclear reactors. In a pinch diesel engines and similar can power them as well.
Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-05-15 12:29pm what are the advantages of these things over regular container ships?
Container ships travel at 37km/h, these vehicles travel at 150km/h. They can reach places that container ships can't, don't have to worry about storms.

Zor
You mean diesel and gas turbines, don't you?
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

madd0ct0r wrote: 2018-05-15 02:07pm

To put it in perspective i was once involved in a project to survey and cost 700 bridges and hundreds of miles of track to allow double deck freight container trains access Birmingham uk from the deepwater port that can handle it (felixstowe) purely to avoid london track. Being able to ship direct between two non-port cities is huge.
The extra speed means their capacity is almost tripled. They will carry that much more per year.

You'd see different patterns of factory construction - focusing on these air depots, perhaps using lakes and available resources like skilled population, thermal energy, close to input material like wood. Land by ports is already built up so these may be cheaper. Or you may see docks built at existing concentrations of industry.

Russia celebrates having an all year trade dock system. China aggressively opens its west up.

Dehli builds two dock complexes capable of holding a dozen carriers during loading/unloading.

Do the UN use one for emergency/disaster resource deployment? Depends if the carriers are truly flexible in landing.
Who says they have to land to satisfy UN humanitarian/peacekeeping missions? 100,000 kilometers of range translates to an extended ability to hover over the target area.

More than likely the UN borrows one from one of the member states interested in sustaining the UN mission, like Canada.

Zor, what is the maximum altitude for a helicarrier?
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

He gives their maximum altitude as 8,000 metres above sea level in the OP you know
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
KraytKing
Jedi Knight

Post by KraytKing »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-05-15 02:19pm So... Dehli builds enough capacity for 24 cargo ships (not carriers. They're not carriers) when there is five in existence?

I just googled and there are about 50,000 container ships in the world. These flying ones needed to be a hell of a lot more effective to be worth it.

As E_F says, these seem to fill a niche of transporting really big heavy objects quickly for a lot of money.
There are only five, but Canada will double that number in two and a half years, and double it again in five. That's twenty, with only Canada actually building any. Canada. Not exactly the best-suited for massive industrial projects. Once they figure out the tech, India will have no trouble building a few dozen to keep the Delhi port occupied.

Once the entire world is in on it, there will be no problems building dozens or hundreds per year, given their apparent cheapness of operation. You're waaay underestimating capacity.
If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.
--Mace

The Old Testament has as much validity for the foundation of a religion as the pattern my recent case of insect bites formed on my ass.
--Solauren

I always get nervous when I hear the word Christian.
--Mountain

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Batman wrote: 2018-05-15 06:35pm He gives their maximum altitude as 8,000 metres above sea level in the OP you know
I saw that after I woke up and wiped the slobber off my tablet. Thanks.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

KraytKing wrote: 2018-05-15 08:50pm
Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-05-15 02:19pm So... Dehli builds enough capacity for 24 cargo ships (not carriers. They're not carriers) when there is five in existence?

There are only five, but Canada will double that number in two and a half years, and double it again in five. That's twenty, with only Canada actually building any. Canada. Not exactly the best-suited for massive industrial projects. Once they figure out the tech, India will have no trouble building a few dozen to keep the Delhi port occupied.

Once the entire world is in on it, there will be no problems building dozens or hundreds per year, given their apparent cheapness of operation. You're waaay underestimating capacity.
And, of course, if the Indians have at least one military helicarrier(which they will), the Paks will find a way to get one too.

Why not a heliport complex at Kolkata and Mumbai as well? Especially since Mumbai is India's New York?
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-05-15 09:51pm
KraytKing wrote: 2018-05-15 08:50pm

And, of course, if the Indians have at least one military helicarrier(which they will), the Paks will find a way to get one too.

Why not a heliport complex at Kolkata and Mumbai as well? Especially since Mumbai is India's New York?
Mumbai and New York are similar because they are huge ports. They'd both get busy building berths to allow them to ship to landlocked cities, but you could land the helicargocarrier on the sea and toe it into the existing ship docks with a little adaption I think. I chose Dehli as archetypal huge, rapidly developing city that happens to be landlocked. It's easier to imagine Dehli doing it then Paris, say :)

Docks would probably be built to overcapacity across many places in the developing world. Many cities in Vietnam built deep water docks, with officials hoping to skim money off the trade passing through. Too many docks meant none of them were actually profitable. It'd be the same lesson again for the non-port cities.
---

So, what secondary effects?
The big shipping constraints end, with important geopolitical implications. Sure you can shoot the carriers down, and threatening to do so allows an equivalent of a naval blockade, but you can always just go around the hotspot. I wonder if some poorer countries can make money from providing protected airspace lanes?

Panama suffers. Suez suffers. Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Egypt loose a bit of USA support, but not too much as surface fleets will remain important. The helicarriers are basically skeet in military terms. The most dangerous aspect of their militirazation is that India and China no longer have a nice fat buffer called the Himalayas to prevent war. That's going to be a major flashpoint and arms race.

Singapore gradually declines in importance as a trade hub. They attempt to retool as a transit place, where many ships from different areas meet a helicarrier to feed in cargo from multiple sources. BUT there is conflict between passenger flight routes and helicarrier routes, and the big city to big city direct routes, ignoring the straits, nibble away at Singapore's importance.

Skirmishes in the South China Sea over oil rights can occur without shutting down global trade directly. They are therefore slightly more likely to happen imo.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

If you can the helicarriers on the sea, like RCN verse starships, then you extend the harbor complex further out from the ports.

Which would welcome news for port cities such as Singapore, Port Said, Hong Kong, Shanghai, New Orleans, Corpus Christi, and Savannah.

It would also likely expand Hartsfield-Jackson in Atlanta to accomdate helifrieghter traffic, and that may even mean good news to Lakehurt, NJ as well, especially if people start building heliliners, or the helifrieghter start taking on passengers, with the latter being more likely.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Zor wrote: 2018-05-15 01:34pmThorium Nuclear reactors. In a pinch diesel engines and similar can power them as well.
Just how much reactor capacity do they need?
Carrier as in bulk carrier, not as in aircraft carrier. And I suspect India will be planning ahead for a vast upscaling of this technology, because they're very much hoping that more will be built. It sounds like this isn't one of those RARs where the new ultratech is "a wizard made this, and then he died," but rather one where the new technology will be expanded on considerably.
The biggest other advantage they have is of bringing major container port shipping prices to inland cities. That is huge.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Simon_Jester wrote: 2018-05-16 10:58am
Zor wrote: 2018-05-15 01:34pmThorium Nuclear reactors. In a pinch diesel engines and similar can power them as well.
100 megawatts.

Zor
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

The manning costs alone would probably eat this idea alive for 90% of possible commercial use. You're not going to crew something like this with thirty low paid guys from the third world because if (or more likely, when) one crashes at 150kph weighing ~150,000 tons the damage will be rather massive, and could destroy all kinds of stuff not normally at risk of total obliteration. Like entire towns.

That plus nuclear power, it really doesn't matter if its thorium or boiling plutonium politically, plus FLYING adds up to some really demanding requirements. Also the rated endurance is not amazing, if the ship were underway at all times it means it needs a nuclear refueling every month. That has to have a serious cost and downtime.

Where it would thrive is allowing us to strip mine the amazon faster. Altering the design into a bulk hauler will be no trouble at all, and now our stripmines can save the cost of what would otherwise be entirely dedicated heavy duty transport infastructure.

Container wise it would have some use for sure on the highest density routes, but you're talking about several times the price of a normal ship, which is a huge burden to pay down, and pretty certainly much higher operating costs. The amount of cargo on hand to make up for that with quicker delivery at a higher price is finite. The more people want to pay for quick delivery, the more they want the quick delivery! Waiting for ~8000 TEU of high priority cargo to build up at one place might be a real problem. Total loading and unloading time is also a factor to consider. This is a big limitation in using this sort of ship for inland aerial port operations.

As for what happens, the US Trumpistani Regime might invade Canada before it allows half the units to be sold to the Chinese. Hell a lot of other presidents might do that too. The military use is pretty overwhelming.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Is the military use overwhelming?

Once you've strapped on enough armour to your giant floating skeet, I'm not finding an awful lot of weight left for ammo for your flying fortress.
Sky Captain
Jedi Master

Post by Sky Captain »

Zor wrote: 2018-05-16 12:26pm
Simon_Jester wrote: 2018-05-16 10:58am
100 megawatts.

Zor
100 MW are easily doable with diesel engines. In fact similar size container ships aready have around 100 MW engine so no need for nuclear reactor on a civilian version. It goes 150 km/h on 100 MW while normal container ship may reach 50 km/h or less with similar power. Flying freighter is at least 3 times energy efficient over water based freighter. Ships already are the most energy efficient vehicles, this is 3 times better. It can do at least 3 trips in a time a ship does one, can fly over land and take a shortcut across Arctic Ocean. That translates into a lot of money which should compensate for higher operating costs and security risks associated with flying 150 000 tons of metal.