MORE Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Re: MORE Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

Post by aerius »

Co-worker: it says inflate to 8 bar, how much is that?
Me: 800 kilopascals
CW: No, psi, how much is that in psi?
Me: Canada is a metric country, we don't do retard units
CW: fuck you, just tell me what it is in psi!
Me: sorry man, we don't speak stupid around here
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Is there a gauge, or is your co-worker incapable of reading it?
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

The gauge is in psi but the label is in bars. Yeah, I know, real helpful there. I'm old enough that I still use the Imperial system and can do the conversions, but we're a metric country damnit!
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Is this dude not aware that Google can do the conversion for him?
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

aerius wrote: 2018-03-28 05:26pm The gauge is in psi but the label is in bars. Yeah, I know, real helpful there. I'm old enough that I still use the Imperial system and can do the conversions, but we're a metric country damnit!
But why should you? That coworker's gonna have to do the job on his own, isn't he? Then he can Google the conversion on his own(with one of those smart phone thingies people can't even go to the shitter without), and not bother you.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

116.03 psi, on the remote chance he's both literate and lurking here.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Yelled down the hall: "YOU CAN'T STICK THAT IN A RABBIT, FOR FUCK'S SAKE!"

I refuse to seek context.
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

Probably for the best you don't...
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

CO-WORKER: You're working too hard, man! Slow that shit down.

ME: I'm sorry, what?

CO-WORKER: We want to keep this contract for the rest of the week!

ME: Wow. I'm going to have to adjust my paradigm here.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

LATEST BOSS: So let me be absolutely clear - We have a very strict policy against sexual harassment here. This is including but not limited to verbal comments about appearance or sexuality, as well as inappropriate visual contact and, it should go without saying, physical contact.

ME: Of course, sir. I will remain professional and respectful at all times.

[TIME PASSES]

THE ONLY HOT LADY IN THE PLANT: No, Shark, stick in the hole this way! Shove it in harder!

OTHER GUY: That's what she said!

[GENERAL LAUGHTER]

ME: Huh. Very strict indeed. [twigs to the culture at the new workplace] I am outraged at your suggestions, madam!

THE ONLY HOT LADY IN THE PLANT: [claps me on the shoulder; I am now one of the guys of various genders]

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

ME: So, you wanna maybe have dinner after this?

THE ONLY HOT LADY AT THE PLANT: I have a boyfriend.

ME: Of course you do. Question stands.

THE ONLY HOT LADY AT THE PLANT: ... You're confident.

ME: You like it.

THE ONLY HOT LADY AT THE PLANT: I do. But the answer is still no.

MEL: A Scout is loyal.

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

And, eleven other things. Though you don't strike me as the reverent type.
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-05-05 06:34pmAnd, eleven other things. Though you don't strike me as the reverent type.
I do disobey Obedient and Reverent. Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, and Clean I've got you on. There are also unspoken parts that I will forever uphold. An Eagle is an Eagle until he dies.

Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

WHAM

ON-SITE BOSS: What the Goddamned motherfucking son of a- Somebody call this puddle an ambulance!

ME: [MOANING] It's cool, guys... I think I can hack it...

[time passes]

OVERBOSS: So, Shark. Because of your workplace incident, I'm going to be required to test you for drugs and alcohol.

ME: Well, OB, I can save you some time doing paperwork and tell you that any drug test you give me will show positive for pot due to off-duty use, and since I'm in body-wide pain on my day off, I'm drunk right now.

OVERBOSS: Well, shit... thanks for your honesty, but this probably isn't going to-

ME: Does it help if I say that I consider the matter fully-settled between the guy who fucked up, Medicaid, and myself, and that I'm not filing for workman's comp?

OVERBOSS ...I think we can work something out...

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

You said the magic words, Shark.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

*Team Lead comes over to inspect our work*

TL: I'm here to check your parts.

*Covering myself with my hands and expressed a mock shock*

Me: How dare you try to inspect my parts!

TL: *laughs*
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

I realized (after realizing my welding gas line had a leak) that you can actually weld without innert gas.

But the weld turns out kind of just like me.
Ugly.
All over the place.
Barely hanging on.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse »

New co-worker: wow, what a day. So how was your day today?
Me: I'm going to go home and drown some kittens in the bathtub.
Newbie: Um...yeah...uh...I guess it's better than clubbing baby seals. How could anyone club a seal? They're so cute!
Me: $20 a pelt.
Newbie: Jesus, what is wrong with you?
ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

First rule of mouse's office: Don't poke the muse.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Say Maddoc, whats your actual job here now?

Polyfilla. When cracks appear they slap me on.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Overhearing a collegue having issues with an infinity loop.

Me*quickly makes a moebius loop&walks over*: Here, I made you a 3D model of your problem.

Coworker: *stares at loop* F**k you... :D
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

We get people from all over the US calling in to book a whitewater rafting trip down the New River. But some of these "Adventure seekers" are such WIMPS!

Me, answering call: Hi! Thank you for calling, how may I help you? (there's more to the spiel, I ain't typing it)
Female from Michigan : OH! We saw the weather report, and we want to cancel our trip tomorrow! It's gonna be 50% chance of Rain!
Me, thinking 'serioulsy?' but trying to stop cancellation : Yes, we're going to get a little rain tomorrow, but the trip will still go. After all, (jokingly) on the river you're going to get wet either way.
Her, thrown a little : You... well... yes... we would... (weak chuckle). But... you'll still be running? What about ThunderStorms?!
Me : You will be 800ft down in a steep gorge. Lightning strikes the highest point, which will be well above you. If it does look bad, the guides will move over to the riverbank and wait the worst out, but the trip will go on.
Her, still unsure : So... you keep going? In the rain?
Me, unable to believe the wimpy-whiner : Yes, ma'am. And besides, it's only 50%, which means there's an equal chance of no rain whatsoever.
Her: uhhhhh
Me, getting into it : This is actually normal summer weather for our region. We get very humid during the day, and in the afternoon or late evening clouds form and we get a "pop-up thunderstorm". I see you're going on the morning trip, so you may not see rain at all!
Her, cautiously : So... I shouldn't cancel, for the rain?
Me, rolling my eyes: No ma'am. We're running it rain or shine, so there's no reason to cancel just over the weather. (repeat joke about getting wet either way)
Her : Ok... we'll be there tomorrow.

I hang up, and one of the supervisors who's been with the company for 10yrs says "Next time, tell her that if she wants to cancel over rain, that's fine, but she's not getting any refund because WE didn't cancel the trip over the weather, we're still running it. That will shut her up."
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

And, for the Brits --

Her: Hallo, I saw your advert online and I wanted to book a trip, since you're just outside of London!
Co-worker : umm... I'm sorry ma'am?
Her : Well, you're just in Corbin (sp) right? That's just a short trip for me!
Co-Worker: Ma'am, we're in West Virginia.
Her : (dead silence, then dial tone)

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Then there was the gentleman who called wanting to "Kayak in the Cave!"

After some confusion on my part, as we DO have a Spelunking Tour at Lost World Caverns, I finally determine the problem --
"Sir, This is ADVENTURES ON THE GORGE... In WEST VIRGINIA."
Him: ....... You're Not in KENTUCKY?

He also quickly hung up to call whomever in Kentucky lets you take a kayak into a cave.

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

...how do you not notice you're calling a US number? Or has phone calling changed that much you can just dial whatever from anywhere?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.