You are head of Cadmus (DC Animated Universe)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

You are head of Cadmus (DC Animated Universe)

Post by FaxModem1 »

Due to the report given to the US government by the Justice League, and the possibility of a world dominated by the Justice Lords, Cadmus is established. It's objective is to provide a means to combat and neutralize the Justice league if they ever turn rogue.

Instead of Amanda Waller, you are put in charge of this organization. How do you go about it? What do you invest in? Who do you hire? What plans do you make?

Do you think you could do a better job than Waller? Discuss.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Re: You are head of Cadmus (DC Animated Universe)

Post by Enigma »

I barely remember Cadmus from the comics and the most recent info I know is from the Supergirl TV series. That Cadmus are bastards. lol

If I was the head of Cadmus, I'd have Kryptonite bullets for the evil Supes. Lots of miniguns for the evil Batman. I don't know for the rest.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Enigma wrote: 2018-05-10 08:38am I barely remember Cadmus from the comics and the most recent info I know is from the Supergirl TV series. That Cadmus are bastards. lol

If I was the head of Cadmus, I'd have Kryptonite bullets for the evil Supes. Lots of miniguns for the evil Batman. I don't know for the rest.
Cadmus in Justice League is an off the books US government organization using supervillains, scientists, military personnel, etc., to try and build countermeasures to metahumans. It's primarily funded by Lex Luthor and his huge swaths if hidden money.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

One thing I'd be trying to do is get covert contact with as many powerhouses as possible, including members of the Justice League itself. Firstly, this may provide intelligence as to when the League or some other party is likely to go rogue. Secondly, it increases the chances of sowing dissension in the ranks or making high-caliber 'hero' allies rather than being forced to rely on a bunch of unreliable elements and second-stringers.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2018-05-10 08:02am Due to the report given to the US government by the Justice League, and the possibility of a world dominated by the Justice Lords, Cadmus is established. It's objective is to provide a means to combat and neutralize the Justice league if they ever turn rogue.

Instead of Amanda Waller, you are put in charge of this organization. How do you go about it? What do you invest in? Who do you hire? What plans do you make?

1) I'd do research on the Achilles' heels of each JL member, as Batman did. If I know about Bats' contingency plans to deal with rogue Justice League members, I would make efforts to acquiring a copy of same.

2) Instead of creating/freeing Doomsday, I would get my hands on some green, red, and blue kryptonite, devoting research to all the possible effects of the red stuff on Kryptonian physiology. If gold* kryptonite is a thing in the DCAU, I'd get my hands on some of that too.

*Gold kryptonite was mentioned in a near-forgotten Supes vs. Spidey crossover from the 70s, and it was supposed to be instantly fatal to Superman.

3) I'd hire Amanda Waller, and contract with STAR Labs for research.

4) Follow the money trail to make sure Lex Luthor isn't behind this. Basically keep an eye on old Lex in any case, as he's running for Pres, and isn't to be trusted.

5) Steal Kandor from Brainiac, try to anyway, and use all its Kryptonians as experimental subjects for developing and refining anti-Supes tactics.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Simon_Jester wrote: 2018-05-10 11:21am One thing I'd be trying to do is get covert contact with as many powerhouses as possible, including members of the Justice League itself. Firstly, this may provide intelligence as to when the League or some other party is likely to go rogue. Secondly, it increases the chances of sowing dissension in the ranks or making high-caliber 'hero' allies rather than being forced to rely on a bunch of unreliable elements and second-stringers.
A non-aggression treaty with Atlantis and Paradise Island. Better still, but equally improbable, a mutual defense pact with both powers.

Also, developing antisatellite weaponry to bring down Watchtower would not be amiss as a last resort.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Gold kryptonite is still (again?) part of the DCU but these days it permanently depowers Kryptonians. And I'm not sure we ever see kryptonite beyond the basic green stuff in the DCAU?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Batman wrote: 2018-05-10 01:48pm Gold kryptonite is still (again?) part of the DCU but these days it permanently depowers Kryptonians. And I'm not sure we ever see kryptonite beyond the basic green stuff in the DCAU?
Except in Super Friends, no. And, you're correct about gold kryptonite, and its effects. Also, it debuted in an Adventure Comics issue in the 60s, not in the crossover I mentioned, whose authors got it wrong.

Interesting fact: Green kryptonite used to be gold. Also, there's a lot more kryptonite varieties in the comics than previously thought.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

There's a reason the term 'rainbow kryptonite' exists :D
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2018-05-10 08:02am Due to the report given to the US government by the Justice League, and the possibility of a world dominated by the Justice Lords, Cadmus is established. It's objective is to provide a means to combat and neutralize the Justice league if they ever turn rogue.

Hmm.

First thing is that I pick my underlings very carefully. Avoid the fascistic types. Avoid Luthor like the fucking plague. Avoid people who regard the League, or super humans in general, as the enemy. Try to expand my mandate beyond just countering the League, to countering rogue super humans in general. More on that shortly.

For specific countermeasures for the Justice League cartoon team, I'll try to come up with both lethal and non-lethal measures.

Hawkgirl: Lethal- she can probably be countered with conventional weaponry. Not sure what her durability is, though, so maybe armor-piercing rounds. Area-effect weaponry is something to look into too, given her agility. Non-lethal: Some sort of knock-out gas? Though I suspect that would breach chemical weapons conventions.

Green Lantern: Lethal: Multiple snipers. Get him before he can use the ring to put up a shield. Non-lethal: As above, but with fast-acting tranquilizer darts.

Flash: There's a pattern here, but snipers. Get him before he can start moving.

Wonder Woman: A very durable target. Really, what we need is something with the mobility of infantry weaponry but the punch of anti-tank weaponry. I'm honestly not sure about non-lethal counters- maybe the knock-out gas option again?

Batman: I know he's Bruce Wayne. If possible, hit him at a public function when he's out of the suit, with a Swatt team. Or better yet, the Navy Seals.

If that's not possible... I have a rough idea where the Batcave is. Storm it with overwhelming force. Also nab the Gordons and Robin at the same time. Seize/freeze all Wayne Enterprises assets.

Superman: Yeah, you pretty much have to just fall back on Kryptonite for this one.

Martian Manhunter: He is my biggest concern. This guy is a walking security breach due to his abilities. Information will be highly compartmentalized, and I will make heavy use of drones, to counteract the mind-reading abilities. Might want to get some of my own in-house psychics, too.

The other really big concern is the GIANT FUCKING BEAM WEAPON-ARMED SPACE STATION.

I'm thinking cloaked shuttles, drone-piloted, armed with nukes, for a surprise strike.

Spread out my facilities- don't have all my eggs in one basket. In fact, I'd like to have more facilities than major JL members, so they can't possibly take out everything I have in one strike, either.

Once the size of the League expands, I might have to come up with some alternative methods, but some of these will work on a wide range of targets.

Long-term, try to recruit our own supers to the team. Not evil, stupid Cadmus cloning bullshit- I mean recruiting willing supers. There must be SOME patriotic super humans who are not villainous but not interested in joining the League. The problem with the League is not that they have abilities that are superhuman, after all- its that they have power that the legitimate authorities have no means of checking.

Granted, I'm also worried about setting off a super powers arms race. We'll have to move cautiously here. Maybe try to pass some version of the Sokovia Accords, but with more input from the actual supers rather than just something that's imposed on them.

Again, I'm going to see if I can get my mandate expanded to dealing with super villains in general, too- and institute a systematic review of security at Arkham. Maybe even shut it down, transfer most of the inmates to other asylums/prisons, and transfer some of the more dangerous ones to secure Cadmus facilities. Though I suppose there are civil liberties issues to navigate here.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

First, Luthor becoming President and killing the Flash appears to the main issue.

So, I arrange for Luthor to disappear, and all his assets to be seized for tax evasion.
That should result in some lovely anti-superman tech. (Hell, Luthor probably had a Green K laser he just didn't want to use as it was too easy...)

Next, set up Cadmus, as a the government agency concerned with Superhumans/aliens/etc.
Studying them, duplicating powers with tech, defending against hostiles, and even confining them if needed.
Use the Justice Lords, and some of superman's rogues gallery as example.
i.e Leech's powers, if duplicate by tech, could be used to depower super-powered criminals.

Next, have the President inform the Justice League, if they want to operate on US soil, they have to accept a Cadmus Liason officer.
Not oversight, but liason. This would mean after action reports.
In exchange, they'd have legal authority when operating as needed.
i.e The League orders an evac of an area, that area is to be evacuated, with the authority of the POTUS

At that point, start recruiting other supers to work with the government to research and police.
They can still operate in their home cities/regions, but they are no longer illegal vigilantes, but sanctioned law enforcement.
They'd also get a government salary. (Meaning they could quite their day jobs to do the superhero thing full time)

The resulting public opinion on the government superheroes, vs the 'Seven Rogue demi-gods' should be enough to get the JL to start to co-operate with Cadmus to research and duplicate their powers.

Of course, in the process of learning about their powers and strengths, I'd learn their weaknesses, and how to defend against them.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Some of the League might go for that (especially Superman and Green Lantern?), but Wonder Woman is an ambassador for another nation, is she not? And as for Batman... I can't see Batman ever accepting that degree of government oversight of his actions willingly.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

I'd accept it willingly enough.
And then completely ignore it
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-05-16 07:42pm Some of the League might go for that (especially Superman and Green Lantern?), but Wonder Woman is an ambassador for another nation, is she not? And as for Batman... I can't see Batman ever accepting that degree of government oversight of his actions willingly.
If Wonder Woman is formally recognized as an ambassador, she has diplomatic immunity for a lot of things anyway, so she doesn't need to worry about the vigilante issues. I can also see her going for the government support, as it would help her.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Batman wrote: 2018-05-16 08:38pm I'd accept it willingly enough.
And then completely ignore it
This is the first post you've ever done, where it's believable you are Batman.

Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Doomsday should also get a one-way ticket to the Phantom-Zone as he's far too dangerous to keep around. It should be pretty easy given that he's lobotomized at the start of the scenario.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-05-16 07:42pm Some of the League might go for that (especially Superman and Green Lantern?), but Wonder Woman is an ambassador for another nation, is she not? And as for Batman... I can't see Batman ever accepting that degree of government oversight of his actions willingly.
Except he does, as Amanda Waller becomes the Justice League's liaison, keeping the closest rye on Batman. She is also responsible for Terry McGinnis becoming the next Batman.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Tribble wrote: 2018-05-16 09:24pm Doomsday should also get a one-way ticket to the Phantom-Zone as he's far too dangerous to keep around. It should be pretty easy given that he's lobotomized at the start of the scenario.
What about hiring Lobo to drop Doomsday into a Black hole instead?

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Green Lantern: Lethal: Multiple snipers. Get him before he can use the ring to put up a shield. Non-lethal: As above, but with fast-acting tranquilizer darts.
Simply bathing him in strong yellow light should neutralize GL's ring. Alternatively, negotiation with the Guardians keep him in check.

(Or with the Sinestro Corps...)
Martian Manhunter: He is my biggest concern. This guy is a walking security breach due to his abilities. Information will be highly compartmentalized, and I will make heavy use of drones, to counteract the mind-reading abilities. Might want to get some of my own in-house psychics, too
If memory serves, Martian Mamhunter has a crippling fear of fire.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Now, what if this was the alternate timeline of Krypton's season 1's finale, where Seg and Brainiac being trapped in the Phantom Zone resulted in Zod's rise to power, and, possibly becoming Kal's father.

How will you, as leader of Cadmus, deal with either Zod, or Kal Zod, leading an army of supermen to invade Earth, with no kryptonite to be found(since Kandor is never bottled and Krypton doesn't go boom)?

*naturally, this assumes the "heros" of this series do nothing to change the timeline back, the Green Lantern Corps doesn't stop Zod cold, or Batman goes back 200 years, and saves the day.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-05-10 11:44am
5) Steal Kandor from Brainiac, try to anyway, and use all its Kryptonians as experimental subjects for developing and refining anti-Supes tactics.
There is no Kandor in the DCAU. The closest we have is Argo. A dead colony near Krypton, hit by the explosion that destroyed Krypton. Supergirl was the only survivor. If you want to try and fund an expedition to Argo, go nuts. But I don't know if the US government has the same interstellar travel that Superman and the Justice league have.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

I could've sworn Kandor out in an appearance in JLU. But, you're right.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

FaxModem1 wrote: 2018-05-25 11:26am
U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-05-10 11:44am
There is no Kandor in the DCAU. The closest we have is Argo. A dead colony near Krypton, hit by the explosion that destroyed Krypton. Supergirl was the only survivor. If you want to try and fund an expedition to Argo, go nuts. But I don't know if the US government has the same interstellar travel that Superman and the Justice league have.
Which is something that Cadmus must rectify. The fact that a private, non-governmental militia (which is in effect what the JL is) has access to fucking FTL, and the duly-elected government apparently does not, is unacceptable.

Either try and arrange a trade of the tech., or outright make access to their FTL capabilities a condition of the JL being permitted to operate lawfully on American soil.

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I'm not sure I'd try to force the FTL issue with them at first.

The Justice League uses their FTL in a way that results in positive P.R for Earth.

You hand FTL over to anyone else, it won't be long until some corporate interest duplicates it, then causes an interstellar war by selling someone's offspring as appetizers.

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

That's Futurama, Solauren. And, we have plenty of stoned, unwashed vegan hippies to feed angry aliens.