Netflix Lost in Space(spoilers)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Netflix Lost in Space(spoilers)

Post by FaxModem1 »

I gave it a watch over a weeknd, and rather enjoyed it. It takes the old show's family friendly space show, and keeps that feeling, while still being a fun ride.

The Netflix series seems to distill the ingredients of both the movie and the TV show, with them spending the first season on the planet, Dr. Smith being a psychological threat, the Robot bonding to Will, harsh planetary orbit conditions, while also embracing the movie's ruined Earth making waves of colonists seeking out a new home, the Robinson family being fleshed out characters rather than stock family characters, and dealing with the threats of such.

The Netflix show also rids us of the silliness of a single family doing all the work of either making a colony(as in the original the show), or making a giant gate for everyone else to follow (as in the movie). Instead, they're one of many families who had to compete hard to get onboard, and there seems to be some sort of casting off of those who can't make the cut, as they will eventually die on a dying Earth.

We'll see if in later seasons if Blarp, space pirates, or a talking carrot show up.
LapsedPacifist
Jedi Knight

Re: Netflix Lost in Space(spoilers)

Post by LapsedPacifist »

Parker Posey is amazing as Dr. Smith. She just exudes slimy evil, while at the same time you can see how the people around her don't see it.
Ogrek is beyond strategy.

<- Avatar from Dr. Roy's List of Stomatopods for the Aquarium
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

LapsedPacifist wrote: 2018-05-03 05:44pm Parker Posey is amazing as Dr. Smith. She just exudes slimy evil, while at the same time you can see how the people around her don't see it.
Yes, but I'm really wondering how she'll keep herself breathing after the events of season 1. But if there's one thing I've witnessed while watching her, is that she is an expert at getting what she wants.
LapsedPacifist
Jedi Knight

Post by LapsedPacifist »

I suspect that they'll need a really evil slimy liar to get them out of Danger. That skillset may actually be really useful to the group there.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Hmm... might actually check this one out, even though I never watched the old show and thought the bits of the movie I saw were basically fun entertainment but nothing special.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
LapsedPacifist
Jedi Knight

Post by LapsedPacifist »

It's good TV! It's certainly more on the light and fun side of things as opposed to a truly rigorous example of family-based space colonization. But I really did enjoy it.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Good- we need more SF that isn't trying too hard to be "edgy" and "dark".
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-05-07 07:17pm Good- we need more SF that isn't trying too hard to be "edgy" and "dark".
You'll definitely enjoy Lost in Space then. It keeps things serious, but not to Battlestar Galactica levels.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

FaxModem1 wrote: 2018-05-07 11:24pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-05-07 07:17pm Good- we need more SF that isn't trying too hard to be "edgy" and "dark".
You'll definitely enjoy Lost in Space then. It keeps things serious, but not to Battlestar Galactica levels.
That sounds like about the balance I like- serious and thought out, but with some lightness and optimism, and not completely bleak and above all not try-hard, self-indulgently dark.

tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

I like how the Robinsons are reduced to just another family with the 24th mission (?) to the new planet (Alpha Centauri?).

The Jupiter 2 looks similar to the 98-movie version with far less organic curves.

And the reason why Earth is toast and its connection to the FTL drive on the Resolute (the big carrier ship for the Jupiters).

Of course the "We are in trouble - Problem solved - new problem" conga-line was hilarious. I expected one of the cast to go "Everything is going well - too well. I have a bad feeling about this."

And I love the design of the Robot, that they made it extraterrestial in origin and the problems the first contact created.
Also the reveal at the end was great.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"