Would my PC run FF14?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Would my PC run FF14?

Post by Lord Revan »

I was thinking of giving FF14 a try but I'm not 100% sure if my PC is good enough to run it, I got AMD A10 quadcore CPU with 12 GB of RAM and Nvidia GT 740 Graphics. It's the Graphics card I think it's not good enough everything else seems up to par (unless for what ever reason the game won't run on non-intel CPUs).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Re: Would my PC run FF14?

Post by TheFeniX »

Download and run the FFXIV Benchmark.

You should run it just fine, though last I played the game had a premium on shadows, post-processing, and Anti-Aliasing.... what game doesn't, really? Smart choices in what to make look good (character detail being the biggest) should do you just fine. But run the benchmark anyway.

Huh, looks like they improved SLI support.... oh well.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Ran the benchmark and was getting high (with "high (laptop) setting and 1280x740 resolution) or fairly high (with 1920x1080 and "high (desktop)" setting) performance figures so I assume my fears were invalid then.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

This site is useful - though maybe not entirely accurate - for these types of queries https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

You can download a small tool that will detect your components and give you a simple yes/no for playing at minimum and recommended specs.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

The game is 8 years old and hasn't seen much of an update. A lot of this is due to continued (though I think it FINALLY ended with Stormblood) support for the PS3 version which held back multiple graphical upgrades. The game took a huge performance premium in 4K (4K SS here, everything takes a huge performance hit in 4K), but you can notice it's not like the game is using some ultra-detailed (hence: large size) textures or high-poly models. And it actually managed to USE hardware, unlike the even less detailed SWTOR which ran like shit since it didn't even know your GPU existed at launch. It's a bit better now, but it's still a hog for no good reason when 100+ people are online in fleet.

But there were certain settings in FFXIV that would crater both my SLIed 970s and my 980ti at 4K. We're talking 30FPS and under: I don't play that shit.

It runs fine at 1080p, last I played, on my aging i7 Laptop with a .... 640M? All I know is that Heroes of the GodDamn storm beats up that laptop more than FFXIV ever did.

Game was fun, then the content dried up and it was "dance for Hard Mode bosses or get fucked." Shiva fight was fun as balls though. Used to pug it all the time. Paladin for life. But the Ravana fight basically made me quit the game. Such a shit fight both mechanically and thematically. Music was good though.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

TheFeniX wrote: 2018-05-05 06:48pm The game is 8 years old and hasn't seen much of an update. A lot of this is due to continued (though I think it FINALLY ended with Stormblood) support for the PS3 version which held back multiple graphical upgrades. The game took a huge performance premium in 4K (4K SS here, everything takes a huge performance hit in 4K), but you can notice it's not like the game is using some ultra-detailed (hence: large size) textures or high-poly models. And it actually managed to USE hardware, unlike the even less detailed SWTOR which ran like shit since it didn't even know your GPU existed at launch. It's a bit better now, but it's still a hog for no good reason when 100+ people are online in fleet.

But there were certain settings in FFXIV that would crater both my SLIed 970s and my 980ti at 4K. We're talking 30FPS and under: I don't play that shit.

It runs fine at 1080p, last I played, on my aging i7 Laptop with a .... 640M? All I know is that Heroes of the GodDamn storm beats up that laptop more than FFXIV ever did.

Game was fun, then the content dried up and it was "dance for Hard Mode bosses or get fucked." Shiva fight was fun as balls though. Used to pug it all the time. Paladin for life. But the Ravana fight basically made me quit the game. Such a shit fight both mechanically and thematically. Music was good though.
It's Final Fantasy eveything else could be utter crap but at least the music will be good, hell even FF13 had good music for the most part.

1920X1080 is my monitor's native resolution so I no intentions of going higher then that if I don't have to.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Oh man, the music is really above a whole lot of what's out there. It's a shame this part of On Westerly Winds only plays in one part of (IIRC Western) La Noscea. I had to rip just that part out of the MP3. Uematsu isn't even human. The other contributors were no slouches either. The soundtrack was stupid expensive, but (mostly) worth the money (and having to buy a fucking BluRay for my PC).

SWTOR gets no credit here since it's all John William's shit with some (actually decent) new stuff. I actually do like the SWTOR theme, but my point is that in a game like WoW and many other MMOs the music exists in the background and feeds into what you're doing, but (with some exceptions) it's never meant to overpower what's going on.

FFXIV (and Star Wars) TURN. THAT. SHIT. UP TO 11! Like the end of Halo on the warthog, the music gets louder and LOUDER and you're just like FUCK YES! Pretty much every boss fight is like that in FFXIV. You're fighting giant snakes in some orange area? You're tanking because you got pugged and have no idea what's going on? You're a little nervous? The music hits this part and it's like "FOR THE LIGHT, MOTHERFUCKERS!" and you can't hear what everyone is yelling about in Teamspeak because nothing matters right then other than the music, your sword, and your board.

Also, your wife comes in the room and says something in the vein of "Can you turn that down!?" and you just say "no"

Other games produce solid music, but a lot of it is derivative of a main theme, such as with Halo, Left 4 Dead, Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls among so many others. The FFXIV soundtrack changes drastically depending on where you are and what you're doing. It goes a bit into that industrial techno shit (think FFVII) at times. But that's the point, it's AT TIMES. Even FFVII had a soundtrack with a lot of range.

I probably farmed Shiva endlessly for the music as much as the vanity drops and fun.... also people eating cleaves and dieing horribly while I laugh.

Even the phase 2 music was good and I usually can't stand J-Pop shit.

Have fun in Eorzea, Warrior of Light.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I've now played FF14 for a couple of weeks (well a little over) and I can say that other then a crash during a cutscene (the 50 Dark Knight job quest ending cutscene to be exact) I've had no issues and skipping the cutscene allowed me to complete the quest.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

DK 30-50 is by far the best class questing in the game. Since you've beaten it, I can talk about it. The idea of your Dark Side coming out and chastising you for continuing to serve the people of Eorzea after all the shit you've been through was a great way to hit the character and the player. A complete deconstruction of "Heroes" in general that culminates in a boss fight against your own dark nature. And the cutscene work was excellent. Fun boss fight as well with (as always) great music and thematic elements.

It got me to, blindsided. I had figured something something warrior of light had revived and impressed a bit of your dark side into another person and that's what was motivating your teacher. No idea it was you all along.

When he asks why you don't just kill people? Why you bother saving those who won't thank you, when they'll turn on you in the end? When "he" asked you to just leave with him? Walk off into the sunset and leave all the bullshit behind, especially when you consider you're a fugitive from your own home after all you did and the upper echelon of Ishgard also want you dead: it's hard to argue with him. So good. Only hamstrung by the fact that since it's a MMO and you are destined to be the Good Guy, you have no real choice.

Too bad the 50-60 stuff was unfettered garbage in the form of "The church be evil, yo." Ugh, what a disappointment.

Hey, nice. I still have my screenshots. I really wish I hadn't burned that fantasia at that point, since my character USED to kind of look like me (but he was Buff-man McHandsome Dude and I am.... not) but my NEW character was hawt, whatever: Goosebumps
Game looks good. Still mad I missed the timing to get a shot of that REALLY creepy smile "Evil You" does. I could have gone back and rewatched the cutscene via the inn, I just never got around to it.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

TheFeniX wrote: 2018-05-25 07:08pm DK 30-50 is by far the best class questing in the game. Since you've beaten it, I can talk about it. The idea of your Dark Side coming out and chastising you for continuing to serve the people of Eorzea after all the shit you've been through was a great way to hit the character and the player. A complete deconstruction of "Heroes" in general that culminates in a boss fight against your own dark nature. And the cutscene work was excellent. Fun boss fight as well with (as always) great music and thematic elements.

It got me to, blindsided. I had figured something something warrior of light had revived and impressed a bit of your dark side into another person and that's what was motivating your teacher. No idea it was you all along.

When he asks why you don't just kill people? Why you bother saving those who won't thank you, when they'll turn on you in the end? When "he" asked you to just leave with him? Walk off into the sunset and leave all the bullshit behind, especially when you consider you're a fugitive from your own home after all you did and the upper echelon of Ishgard also want you dead: it's hard to argue with him. So good. Only hamstrung by the fact that since it's a MMO and you are destined to be the Good Guy, you have no real choice.

Too bad the 50-60 stuff was unfettered garbage in the form of "The church be evil, yo." Ugh, what a disappointment.

Hey, nice. I still have my screenshots. I really wish I hadn't burned that fantasia at that point, since my character USED to kind of look like me (but he was Buff-man McHandsome Dude and I am.... not) but my NEW character was hawt, whatever: Goosebumps
Game looks good. Still mad I missed the timing to get a shot of that REALLY creepy smile "Evil You" does. I could have gone back and rewatched the cutscene via the inn, I just never got around to it.
What I liked about the fight is that it was hard but fair, there's no BS mechanics but if I made a mistake Dark Lady Soulspear (my character's last name is Soulspear and yes I know it doesn't fit the miqo'te naming scheme) did punish me for it, I know as I fail (a lot) before I brought her down the first time, second time after the crash it was much easier as I had an idea as to what to do, still it wasn't a peice of cake even then.

Been relaxing by leveling my tradecrafts and gathering afterwards, oh and leveling my other jobs, I got dark knight, white mage and lancer to 50 (I'm not counting Samurai and Red Mage as they start at 50).
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Haha! Catgirls..... are cute.

Anyway, K was all "Hey man, so I was looking at my FFXIV screensh.."
"No"
"No, what?"
"Just fucking no, dude. You said you were done."
"Well, we can just check it out!"
"Ugh.... fuck fine, I'll start the 11 MILLION GIGABYTE DOWNLOAD!"

Going to fucking log back in and my house and guild house will be gone with no compensation. And I JUST got the rest of the Covert Energy Armor set for my harem of sexy alts in SWTOR. I mean, to be fair with how shitty and hideous 99% of the armor is in the game, there's almost no point to dressing modestly. We're talking major texture stretching and piss poor poly counts.

But FFXIV has so many legit badass armor sets (that I have), you can't NOT use them. Why would I play a stripper White Mage when the Ishgardian Healer Set is so boss? Or just like EVERY Paladin set... except I think the shit out of Turn 1-5... can't remember. Anyway, Squeenix's leveling sets are a step above even the best looking armor sets in SWTOR. Even the shit you pay cash money for is "bleh." I mean, the Bastila set is good, but it's really just a skin-tight robe fueled by nostalgia.

I hope they cleaned up Dragoon or else it's back to Sword and Board.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Yeah I don't get the people who walk around in essentially bikinis (or literally bikinis) as battle gear. the Armors (hell even the crafting/gathering gear)look great for the most part and not just great but fairly practical as well. So far I've not come across that many cases of "male version is full set of plate armor, female version just barely covers the naughty bits", closest to that is for some reason the fem level 50 dragoon armro exposes the midrift but only from the front.

EDIT:I'm on the Lich (EU) realm and the character name is K'lyhhia Soulspear if you want to come by and say hi.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

We're on Marlboro and the game really isn't Alt friendly. And my ping (now) is bad enough without jumping oceans. Half the fun I will have is going back through all the cool shit I collected.

That Dragoon set was hilarious because it was the first set of armor, besides the low level Gladiator gear but is stripperific for both men and women, that was like that I can recall just running across. Dragoon WAS my only spec with a stripper setup for a while. I mained Pally, so I had many boss plate sets. For Lancer, as my character had made the jump to female at that time, I tried to emulate that Catgirl involved in the Amaljia dailies out in the desert. Like a "Desert Nomad Lancer" rocking a basic Glamoured spear and the Hempen Chamise gear dyed brown.

I never ran my Dragoon for anything serious, so it didn't matter (not that I generally care about people's opinion of me). But then we pugged another tank, so we needed a solid DPS when one dropped off the team (more like threw a hissy fit) so I started maining Dragoon. Running around doing dailies in the desert was one thing, but I wanted to look more badass for raiding.

Worked out since I ended up leveling my crafting profs and was able to put together some really solid sets.

Really now... I think my Ninja set is about the only thing close to "hnng" I've got and that's only because the default Ninja gear has a boob window for females. I run it because it's fairly similar to the Nightshade Armor I ran on my second character for Skyrim. I used the full cover version, which is basically an armored Carbon Fiber bodysuit. Not that lore friendly, but I was able to modify the textures and normal maps to make it look more like dyed leather than carbon fiber.

But Ninja is pretty boring either way, and annoying with FFXIV's input latency.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Yeah there's some wierd disciple of war leather gear that looks more like BDSM gear then practical combat gea, but for the most part the gear I've gotten so far (I'm not leveling (much) past 50 yet to take max benefit from the "road to 60" buff) been decent and the level 50(ish) Dragoon gear I got from the Ishgard storyline looks decent enough.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Ha! There was this pre-raid chest in Rift that I had to run for a while. Basically "The Road Warrior" and it was hilarious because it was WAY more revealing on a male. Thank God for the Costume system. The worst though was this pre-raid helm back in WoW: Cataclysm, before you could even hide helmets IIRC, that was a PLATE helm which was a fucking wooden board with eye-holes. Jesus the Zandalari gear was terrible.

Are you talking about This Ishgard Armor? I ran it for more than a while while dicking about with Dark Knight. Might have looked better when I was a bit More Manly.

And I managed to find my funniest Screenshot. Anyways, sorry to rant and and post huge screenshots. I kind of miss that raid team we had. We were awful, but the people were generally pretty cool. FFXIV has probably the best community out of any MMO I've played. But man Alexander and Ravana just killed the game for me.

Our raid lead was SUPPOSED to send me a bunch of SSs she took of our raid days, so I never bother since she also ran at 4K. She never got around to it. Bummer.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

no that's not it I'll try to post a screenshot of it when I post next time.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Lord Revan wrote: 2018-06-01 09:07am no that's not it I'll try to post a screenshot of it when I post next time.
this armor
also look from the back showing the only detail I dislike (aka how the tail clips thru the back plate rather then having something that looks like a hole for it to go thru)
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Yea, there's issues with those with cat people and DragonPeople I didn't like. Even the larger built males and females (like Fem Roes) have clipping and placement issues due to huge muscles and the enlarged limbs. FemHyur has the benefit of fitting with most of the skinnier male bodytypes (which most of the armor seems scaled to fit best on) while still looking like a reasonably fit woman.

So, I logged back in. They've cleaned up some of the animations. I'm also legit "u mad, bro" levels of mad because all our shit is gone out of both private and guild homes. Just "poof." Yea, I figured it would happen, but all that time and money, not just shit like my Titan Statue and all the raid pickups, but all the QoL stuff suck as Retainer Bell, guild bank, crafting stations.

You know, it bad enough getting back into an MMO and being where you left off. So, you're behind no matter what. But coming back and being further back than you were. That's some bullshit. All because Squeenix can't into arrays or something stupid. A literal excuse I've heard out of (I think Yoshi) them was "we can't add more inventory space because it lags the servers out."

We aren't talking about a few items here are there that a few of people lost. We're talking millions in Gil and many hours invested to get these items. The entire CONCEPT of their housing system was stupid enough as it was. Their fix was even worse, and the cherry on top was their fix basically told anyone not currently shoving money in their pockets to "fuck off. Don't come back."

Like I said "I mad, bro." Because this is amateur hour stuff both technically and in customer service. I got no home now. I'm roaming the streets of Ishgard like it's WoW all over again.

However, my 980ti pulls anywhere from 70-140FPS in 4K. So, they made some solid improvements in their DX11 application.

EDIT: what really annoys me is that they had "backups" of the data since for 35 days you could log back in and reclaim some money spent and all your decorations (or at least I think the stuff outside). So they HAD a system in place, half-assed it, and then just deleted the data at some point BECAUSE DISK SPACE IS SOOOOOOOO FUCKING EXPENSIVE IN 2015!.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I've not ran into to any majorly annoying clipping issues myself. there's some like tails tending to clip thru robes or other outfits that go below the hip line but even that isn't that bad and I don't even notice it most of the time. Certainly no obvious clipping with the body itself just the tail and sometimes hair, but I can forgive a 2010 MMO not having realistic hair physics.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

I don't know man, 2010 isn't exactly old when it comes to Havok. Blame the PS3, it's what I do.

Bad news: I'm homeless. Good news: the Thavnairian set is down from like 2-5 mil back in the day to like 100k (I never got my weaver to 60), so my SCH gets to be all "bookish Ms. Long Robes" and my WHM (which I've had issues really coming up with something besides "default Robes" for) gets to look stylish.
Image Now I just have to dig up a better Staff. Or find some Metallic Blue dye for my gear to match the staff. Need good sandals, and gloves. But even the "Summer Set" ones are crap. Like, maybe footwraps? I got some gloves somewhere. Or I can make them. It's annoying remembering all the crafting stuff in this game. I dunno man, Dress-up Barbie is hard fucking work. Honestly though... still EASIER than Dress-up Ken.

Got drunk and ran more than a few instances. Eluding me for years, I won the Puff of Darkness Minion. Go me.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Personally I need to find a good set of glasses that doesn't come with a hat for my scholar outfit. also a good outfit for my crafters/gathers that doesn't look way too expensive for the task.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

I've done well with Oval Specs and sometimes the Artisan's Specs. The Ovals are easy, lvl 23 Goldsmith, no real mats. The Artisan Specs were part of the "Craft legit shit to get better gear.... which makes crafting that stuff easy." You can't buy them off the market as AFAIK.

Cruising the market, sorting by head slot, is your best bet. Then just google the piece you like if it's too expensive. You might be able to get it much easier.

For an all-around "cutesy" bit, if you don't want a helm and don't know what else to go with, The Platinum Circlet of Healing could get it done.

I like them:
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

The Oval specs might be something I can make I certainly got the skill rating for it (at 45 or 46 in goldsmithing atm). Though can you put those into a glamour plate as I though you could only put blue items there (as in items with their icon in blue). I'll have to check that once I'm online the next time, but it shouldn't be too hard to make.

Honestly I prefer stuff that I've either gotten thru questing or made myself as the market can be insanely expensive to get items you'd just use for looks.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

I honestly just... do not understand how the glamour plate works. I dumped a bunch of cosmetic stuff in their for storage, but it is (as always with FFXIV WRT the UI) a clunky overdesigned mess with like 5 menus and 50 steps to accomplish what someone competent could do with 2. Sad day when SWTOR is spanking your ass when it comes to a vanity UI.

Worst case, since all Prisms are generic now, just manually glamour your headpiece you want to look like glasses. Prisms aren't hard to make, fairly cheap to buy, so you could just glamour anytime you got an upgrade. It's pretty much what I'm going to stick with since my different specs have wildly different motifs.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

I think 2 mill was the cheapest I ever saw one of these for. 100k now. Garuda EX even at 60 (un level-synced) was still not a faceroll. I can only assume that at 70 it's "walk in, two shot, get loots." Or, more importantly: it might be soloable or only take a few people. You could (IIRC) 4 man it at 60 with good gear, but you were basically doing the fight in about the same time as you would have at 50.

The mog stuff is also really cheap, considering, and I have no idea how that can be with the mechanics of Mog EX. Maybe they upped the drop rate (which they said they'd never do) on the mats.

Whatever man, the Garuda stuff is pure sex. Most the Ifrit gear is trash, except the tomes.