"Star Wars Resistance" is Disney's Newest Animated TV show

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

applejack
Padawan Learner

"Star Wars Resistance" is Disney's Newest Animated TV show

Post by applejack »

Starwars.com
LUCASFILM // APRIL 26, 2018

STAR WARS RESISTANCE, ANIME-INSPIRED SERIES, SET FOR FALL DEBUT
ALL-NEW ANIMATED SERIES WILL FOCUS ON THE ERA BEFORE STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS.

This fall, welcome to the Resistance!

StarWars.com is thrilled to announce that production has begun on Star Wars Resistance, an exciting new animated adventure series about Kazuda Xiono, a young pilot recruited by the Resistance and tasked with a top-secret mission to spy on the growing threat of the First Order. It will premiere this fall on Disney Channel in the U.S. and thereafter, on Disney XD and around the world.

Featuring the high-flying adventure that audiences of all ages have come to expect from Star Wars, Star Wars Resistance — set in the time prior to Star Wars: The Force Awakens — will feature the beloved droid BB-8 alongside ace pilots, colorful new characters and appearances by fan favorites including Poe Dameron and Captain Phasma, voiced by actors Oscar Isaac and Gwendoline Christie, respectively.

The series was created by renowned Lucasfilm Animation veteran Dave Filoni (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels); executive-produced by Athena Portillo (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels), Justin Ridge (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels) and Brandon Auman (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles); and art-directed by Amy Beth Christenson (Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels).

“The idea for Star Wars Resistance came out of my interest in World War II aircraft and fighter pilots” said Filoni. “My grandfather was a pilot and my uncle flew and restored planes, so that’s been a big influence on me. There’s a long history of high-speed racing in Star Wars, and I think we’ve captured that sense of excitement in an anime-inspired style, which is something the entire team has been wanting to do for a long time.”

Marc Buhaj, senior vice president, Programming and general manager, Disney XD, said, “Our colleagues at Lucasfilm have created a compelling narrative for an untold moment in the Star Wars galaxy, and we are excited to partner with them again on this new original series. Star Wars Resistance will bring viewers across generations an engaging story with heart, humor and both new and familiar characters.”

In addition to Isaac and Christie, the voice cast includes actors Christopher Sean (Days of Our Lives), Suzie McGrath (East Enders), Scott Lawrence (Legion), Myrna Velasco (Elena of Avalor), Josh Brener (Silicon Valley), Donald Faison (Scrubs), Bobby Moynihan (DuckTales), Jim Rash (Community), and Rachel Butera (Tammy’s Tiny Tea Time).
So, it takes place after the OT, but before TFA. I'm guessing Ahsoka, Ezra, and Thrawn pop up again?
Dear Lord, the gods have been good to me. As an offering, I present these milk and cookies. If you wish me to eat them instead, please give me no sign whatsoever *pauses* Thy will be done *munch munch munch*. - Homer Simpson
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Re: "Star Wars Resistance" is Disney's Newest Animated TV show

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

At least the latter.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

On the one hand: Anime-style. Yuck.

On the other hand: Possibility of more Thrawn and Ashoka. Wonderful.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

More Ashoka could be good. Depending on how they explain why she never met Luke.

As for Thrawn and Ezra Spoiler
When we last saw Thrawn he was held by tentacles from a space whale that had smashed the windows on his star destroyer as the space whale pulled the star destroyer into hyperspace. So being crushed by the tentacles while being exposed to vacuum. Surviving that seems rather implausible.

Ezra was also there, but we have seen force users survive exposure to vacuum, so he could survive long enough to get into a sealed part of the star destroyer. The stormtroopers there could be a problem though, as he doesn't have a lightsaber. Plus him surviving would cheapen his sacrifice.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-04-27 02:47pm On the one hand: Anime-style. Yuck.

On the other hand: Possibility of more Thrawn and Ashoka. Wonderful.
"anime-style" could mean a lot of things "the Last Airbender" series were very heavily anime styled after all and those were pretty decent.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Yawn. The resistance is just boring. They are basically a pale imitation of the rebel alliance.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

ray245 wrote: 2018-04-28 12:51pm Yawn. The resistance is just boring. They are basically a pale imitation of the rebel alliance.
In the films, sure. Hopefully this will flesh them and the inter-war setting out nicely and interestingly.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-04-28 12:53pm
ray245 wrote: 2018-04-28 12:51pm Yawn. The resistance is just boring. They are basically a pale imitation of the rebel alliance.
In the films, sure. Hopefully this will flesh them and the inter-war setting out nicely and interestingly.
Except there's not much they can do. The Resistance can grow too much in the TV show because the films have shown the limits of their resources.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

bilateralrope wrote: 2018-04-28 02:47am More Ashoka could be good. Depending on how they explain why she never met Luke.
Or, you know, she could have met Luke. We have two-three decades of Luke's history that are largely unfilled. Plenty of time for adventures with his dad's old Padawan, if they want to go that route.

I don't know that she'd join his Order, though. She walked away from the Jedi a long time ago, and is already at the level of a fully-trained Jedi. Think more independent occasional ally.

It would be nice if she could tell Luke a bit more about his parents, too.
As for Thrawn and Ezra Spoiler
When we last saw Thrawn he was held by tentacles from a space whale that had smashed the windows on his star destroyer as the space whale pulled the star destroyer into hyperspace. So being crushed by the tentacles while being exposed to vacuum. Surviving that seems rather implausible.

Ezra was also there, but we have seen force users survive exposure to vacuum, so he could survive long enough to get into a sealed part of the star destroyer. The stormtroopers there could be a problem though, as he doesn't have a lightsaber. Plus him surviving would cheapen his sacrifice.
Hmm...

Yeah, that sounds pretty unsurvivable, but they brought Maul back from being cut in half. If they want Ezra and/or Thrawn, they'll find a way. All the more so now that freaking time travel is a thing in canon.

Bringing dead characters back is something you want to do sparingly, though, or it just becomes an endless cycle where no death ever sticks, and character death becomes just a cheap gimmick. But not having Thrawn in the period between the OT and ST just feels wrong.

Edit: Another advantage of the "Luke meets Ashoka" route: it means they could bring Mark Hamill back. Man's a hell of a voice actor.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I don't think Mark Hamill has ever voiced Luke Skywalker in any non-live action work, also I've heard that he might more then done with Star Wars in general after the last Jedi.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Lord Revan wrote: 2018-04-28 05:00pm I don't think Mark Hamill has ever voiced Luke Skywalker in any non-live action work, also I've heard that he might more then done with Star Wars in general after the last Jedi.
I haven't heard that, so barring a quote from Hamill himself, I'm going to treat it as an unsubstantiated rumor. Besides, they'd be idiots if they didn't have him sign a multi-film contract so they can have him cameo as a Force ghost in Episode IX.

No, he hasn't voiced Luke in animation, but he has a long and distinguished voice-acting career. And damn it, I just want more Luke. Is that too much to ask for? :(

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

According to imdb Hamills voices Luke in two recent Forces Of Destiny cartoons. I thought he'd done a video game as well but its not on there I may have been getting confused with Dennis Lawson reprising Wedge.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-04-28 04:12pm
bilateralrope wrote: 2018-04-28 02:47am More Ashoka could be good. Depending on how they explain why she never met Luke.
Or, you know, she could have met Luke. We have two-three decades of Luke's history that are largely unfilled. Plenty of time for adventures with his dad's old Padawan, if they want to go that route.
I meant meating Luke to train him before ROTJ. While she might not care about rebuilding the Jedi order, she clearly cared about the Rebellion. Staying away from Luke seems to go against that.
I don't know that she'd join his Order, though. She walked away from the Jedi a long time ago, and is already at the level of a fully-trained Jedi. Think more independent occasional ally.
If she joined, it would be as a teacher, not a student. Last Jedi made no mention of other teachers, so we can rule that possibility out.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Lord Revan wrote: 2018-04-28 05:00pm I don't think Mark Hamill has ever voiced Luke Skywalker in any non-live action work, also I've heard that he might more then done with Star Wars in general after the last Jedi.
The Star Wars Holiday Special, but I understand why you would want to forget that. :P
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

bilateralrope wrote: 2018-04-29 05:10amI meant meating Luke to train him before ROTJ. While she might not care about rebuilding the Jedi order, she clearly cared about the Rebellion. Staying away from Luke seems to go against that.
Fair point. Although she could have offered Luke some training between A New Hope and ESB, I suppose, it could easily come off as upstaging or rendering redundant his training with Yoda. And raise the question of why the hell Ashoka never told him about his father. Unless her reasons were the same as Obi-wan's, and I don't know that that fits her character.

But then, Ashoka's whole existence back when she was created for The Clone Wars raised these same kinds of problems (the films never mentioning that Anakin had a padawan). They made it work.
If she joined, it would be as a teacher, not a student. Last Jedi made no mention of other teachers, so we can rule that possibility out.
Well, we see very little of Luke's order, and just because something isn't explicitly mentioned doesn't mean it didn't happen.

But yeah, I doubt she'd join outright. As I said, occasional outside ally.

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

How about if Ahsoka finds Ezra hanging out with Snoke in the Unknown Regions and they all come back to join Luke's academy? Snoke would be more interesting if he actually spends time with the Luke and the other Jedi before showing his true colors.
CetaMan
Youngling

Post by CetaMan »

I doubt that Disney would bother fleshing out a villan such as snoke in this case. I expect this show to be even worse then rebels, but still hope to be pleasantly surprised.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Galvatron wrote: 2018-04-30 10:23pm How about if Ahsoka finds Ezra hanging out with Snoke in the Unknown Regions and they all come back to join Luke's academy? Snoke would be more interesting if he actually spends time with the Luke and the other Jedi before showing his true colors.
I like this, though my favorite theory for Snoke is still "surviving Imperial Inquisitor" (IIRC, there were supposed to be 13 of them, but only three ever appeared on Rebels).

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

What if he's one of the Lost Twenty?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lost_Twenty
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

That works too, although being an Inquisitor gives him more reason to have a vendetta against Luke and his Order, and for his Neo-Imperial style.

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Guys, Thrawn could just have a clone back up. He did that in the old EU, so why not know?

As for Ezra, leave him dead.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

He voiced Luke in the radio dramas in the 80s (the only original cast member to reprise his role), so there's that.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Solauren wrote: 2018-05-01 09:49pm Guys, Thrawn could just have a clone back up. He did that in the old EU, so why not know?

As for Ezra, leave him dead.
What makes you so sure that either one of them is dead?

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-rebels ... n-survive/
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Ezra I'm indifferent too, though the one coming back probably means that the other does (barring the clone option).

I just want Thrawn in the post-Empire era.

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Thrawn will have that space whale stuffed and mounted. And claim he gave the beastie indigestion.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford