Han Solo trailer

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Han Solo trailer

Post by Ace Pace »

Youtube link

Looks like a better than average heist movie, feels like Star Wars but not quite.

So far the only downside is that they're trying to shove in the Lando backstory along with Chewie, a random droid and every possible little plot point.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Mange
Sith Marauder

Re: Han Solo trailer

Post by Mange »

Liked Corellia and the reference to Chewie's age.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I'm gonna like the part where Han borrows the Falcon from Lando, promises to bring it back without a scratch and then gets the whole front end torn off during an action sequence.

I don't know it for a fact, I just know it's true.
ANGELUS
Padawan Learner

Post by ANGELUS »

Interesting look for the Falcon at 1:28
~ Some men just want to watch the world burn ~
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Apparently the nose is a detachable cargo container held in place by the mandibles.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Galvatron wrote: 2018-04-09 02:46pm Apparently the nose is a detachable cargo container held in place by the mandibles.
IIRC, that was the purpose of the mandibles on a YT, to transport cargo containers or to hook onto a larger ship and act as a tug.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

ANGELUS wrote: 2018-04-09 02:32pm Interesting look for the Falcon at 1:28
They gotta boost those toy sales somehow...
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I've actually warmed to it quite a bit and I'm usually an obstinate purist about that sort of thing. The actor playing Han still seems like the weakest link to me though, based on his few lines of dialogue in the trailer.
CetaMan
Youngling

Post by CetaMan »

I'll reserve judgement for when it actually comes out and I can watch it. Until then, I'll enjoy the look of the new troopers sand accept that in a galactic civilization your going to have variation.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

I was hoping the Empire would have no part in the plot of the movie. That they would just be this thing in the background.
griffinflyer
Redshirt

Post by griffinflyer »

I don't like the fact Han doesn't look anything like the real Han in the trailer, but perhaps they will explain it with plastic surgery or something along those lines.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Or we could all just accept that the role's been recast?
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I dunno. It's not a huge disparity. Ford's chin is broader and his eyebrows are more straight across. Ehrenreich's lips are thinner and his eyes are a bit different. The hairdos could just be a change in age thing, late-20s Han going for a more practical style than late-teens/early-20s Han.

Apart from that though the resemblance really is decent enough. They could have worked on it a bit more with makeup, but that would add to the time, cost, and wear on the actor. Better enough to just say 'okay this is Han, we're going with that, deal with it or don't watch the movie'.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

I'm more concerned with performance than perfect likeness, myself. In the trailers he seemed fine as far as appearance. What's going to make or break this is if he can pull off the character.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

The problem I have is that Ehrenreich's version feels more like a generic cardboard young man than a younger Han Solo. I've said it elsewhere and probably in the earlier trailer thread as well that it just feels like they could just cast Chris Pine and his nuKirk character and we'd still get the same thing.

It's kind of like how Eric Roberts or John Simm's take of the character of the Master in Doctor Who where they just seem to be another run of the mill cartoon psychotic which pales in comparison to how Roger Delgado or Derek Jacobi portrayed him. Or along that run, Jared Leto's version of the Joker in Suicide Squad compared to Heath Ledger's take. They are just simplified versions of a rather unique character that have subtler nuances to them.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Ugg, Leto Joker. I'm usually pretty forgiving about different interpretations in a reboot, and of the DC films, but Leto Joker just... wasn't the Joker.

Where I'd differ is that I don't fault Leto for that, for the most part. I think the writing/directing just made a shitty Joker by trying too hard to be edgy (plus the whole "romanticizing abuse and sexual violence" thing, with Harley).

But that's beside the point here. I do think there's a risk of "generic male action lead syndrome" with Solo, but I'd like more to go on than a trailer before making that judgment. Of course, there's also the inevitable problem that he's going to be forever measured against Harrison Fucking Ford in arguably his most iconic role, which is a burden I wouldn't wish on any actor.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Patroklos wrote: 2018-05-16 02:27am The press isn't looking so good...

https://slate.com/culture/2018/05/solo- ... iewed.html
Given the subjectivity of reviews, how well does the opinion of that reviewer compare to your own when you look at reviews of movies you watched ?
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Not at all, I just happen to spend a lot of time on that site. I have seen it repeated in many articles today, this is just the one I linked to.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

It's just that I've often found a disconnect between what reviewers think of movies and how well I enjoy those same movies. Movies I would never have watched had I listened to the reviewers. Making the majority of movie reviewers useless to me.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Oh certainly, but its sort of an anomaly given all the fawning all the other recent SW movies have gotten. Look at all the positive press TLJ got pre-release, and it's stinker.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

That would be one example of the disconnect I was talking about.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

It was a travesty that Rogue One lacked a title crawl, someone should have been fired for that! :lol: Hopefully Disney has learned their lesson and normal service will be resumed this time around.