All The Presidents Men... that have quit.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

All The Presidents Men... that have quit.

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

So figured at some point it’s good to keep track of these. Barely a year in and over a dozen resignations... SO MUCH WINNING

onald Trump's campaign had its fair share of staff shake-ups before the election and that continued into his administration.

Now more than a year into the Trump administration, more than a dozen notable members of both the White House and the administration at large have left their posts.

Gary Cohn

Director of the National Economic Council Gary Cohn listens during a meeting between President Donald Trump and congressional members in the Cabinet Room of the White House, Feb. 13, 2018 in Washington.
Role: Director of the National Economic Council and the chief economic adviser to the president

Officially started: Jan. 20, 2017
Resigned: March 6, 2018
411 days in his tenure

Cohn announced his resignation amid reported ongoing debate inside the White House about the taxes Trump proposed on aluminum and steel imports. Cohn was believed to be against the tariffs.

Trump issued a statement confirming the departure, calling Cohn “a rare talent” who “did a superb job in driving our agenda, helping to deliver historic tax cuts and reforms and unleashing the American economy once again.”

Cohn did not explicitly say why he was leaving, saying in a statement that it was “an honor to serve my country” and thanking Trump “for giving me this opportunity.”
Posting just the first one because I’m doing this on my cell phone because my computer is not working:P
But yeah, Trump is going to turn into crazy old man wandering the empty halls of a deserted White House.

I mean if these positions how many are still empty?
Last edited by LadyTevar on 2018-03-07 06:17pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: There's no "e" in QUIT
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: All The Presidents Men... that have quite.

Post by Simon_Jester »

No, no, he's re-filling the positions as he goes.

The issue is that he can't retain talent, but that was always his problem. Trump historically had a surefire way of retaining effective people on staff: pay them a ton of money. But in government that doesn't work because the salaries are fixed. People work for you for the sense of prestige, power, and of being relevant to important undertakings. So if you constantly belittle them, dump on them, and never accomplish anything because of how erratic and crazy you are... talent won't continue to work for you.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Re: All The Presidents Men... that have quite.

That is pretty much spot on.
As many others have said, the man acts as if he can run the country the same way a CEO would, IE as a dictator who can buy others to agree with him and if they don’t he can fire anyone who disagrees.
It makes me wonder if the people he DOES get to fill these positions and what their motives may be. Since trumps policy seems to be to do whatever he heard from the last person he spoke with.
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Re: All The Presidents Men... that have quit.

So another one bites the dust as Rex Tillerson is out which most of us saw coming:
President Trump fired Secretary of State Rex Tillerson on Tuesday morning in a tweet that followed a year of frequent tension between the two leaders.

Trump said he is nominating CIA director Mike Pompeo as Tillerson's replacement, which requires confirmation by the Senate.

"Rex and I have been talking about this for a long time ... we got along quite well but we disagreed on things," Trump told reporters at the White House. "We were not really thinking the same ... with Mike, we have a very similar thought process."

State Department officials, on the other hand, said they were caught off guard.

"The secretary had every intention of remaining because of the tangible progress made on critical national security issues," said Undersecretary of State Steve Goldstein. "He established and enjoyed relationships with his counterparts. He will miss his colleagues at the Department of State and enjoyed working together with the Department of Defense in an uncommonly robust relationship."

Continued Goldstein: "The secretary did not speak to the president this morning and is unaware of the reason, but he is grateful for the opportunity to serve, and still believes strongly that public service is a noble calling and not to be regretted. "
Trump and Tillerson have been described as talking often but sometimes also appeared quite out of step on major foreign policy decisions.

A White House official says the president wanted to have a new team in place in advance of upcoming talks with North Korea and ongoing trade negotiations.

Tillerson, who was traveling in Africa last week, was caught flat-footed when the surprise announcement came that Trump had accepted an invitation to meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. Just a day earlier, he'd told reporters that negotiations were a long way off.

Trump has tapped Gina Haspel, Pompeo's former deputy and a CIA veteran, to take the helm of the spy agency.

Haspel did not require Senate confirmation to serve in her deputy role but will to serve as the full-fledged director of the agency. Her hearing could exhume many CIA demons about the torture of terror suspects and the secret detention program that followed the 2001 terror attack.

Democrats blasted what they called the nonstop chaos of the Trump White House, which they said meant it cannot focus on conducting business seriously.

"The instability of this administration in just about every area weakens America," said Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y.

Tillerson, the former boss of petrogiant ExxonMobil, didn't know Trump before 2016 — and their relationship seemed to eventually rupture after months of disputes over policy, embarrassing leaks and a few public humiliations by the president himself.

Trump told reporters on Tuesday that he and Tillerson had always gotten along and that he was a "good man," but their friction over tough issues such as the Iran nuclear deal had been what compelled Trump to replace him.

Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Trump told reporters on Tuesday that he and Tillerson had always gotten along and that he was a "good man," but their friction over tough issues such as the Iran nuclear deal had been what compelled Trump to replace him.
"He had the backbone and common sense to tell me I was a fucking moron, then not deny it to the press. Oh, and he said that Russia was behind that English guy and his daughter getting poisoned. Putin told me he had to go."
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

Trump aide Johnny McEntee was also fired today.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Damn, dropping like flies
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Tillerson's out?

That... actually worries me, as IIRC he was said to be one of the people holding Trump back from doing something insanely stupid with North Korea.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Add his lawyer for the Russian investigation onto the list

Possibly because Trump was continually ignoring his advice.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

And another one bites the dust...
Trumps national Security advisor McMasters is out. This will have been the Third Security Secretary Trump has replaced
National security adviser Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster is leaving the Trump administration, the president announced on Twitter Thursday evening. "I am very thankful for the service of General H.R. McMaster who has done an outstanding job & will always remain my friend," the president wrote. Trump also said former Ambassador John Bolton will replace McMaster in a change that takes effect April 9.

The planned change at the top of the country's national security infrastructure comes after McMaster had an unsettled tenure inside a White House that recently has been expelling its top officials like a deflating balloon.

In a separate statement, McMaster said he was requesting retirement from the U.S. Army effective this summer. "I am thankful to President Donald J. Trump for the opportunity to serve him and our nation as national security advisor," McMaster said. "I am grateful for the friendship and support of the members of the National Security Council who worked together to provide the President with the best options to protect and advance our national interests.

In an additional statement issued by the White House, President Trump said McMaster "helped develop our America First National Security Strategy, revitalize our alliances in the Middle East, smash ISIS, bring North Korea to the table, and strengthen our nation's prosperity. This work and those achievements will ensure that America builds on its economic and military advantages. I thank General McMaster and his family for their service and wish them the very best."

A White House official said Thursday that Trump and McMaster mutually agreed on the resignation, which the two men have been discussing for some time. The timeline for McMaster's departure was expedited, the official also said, because both men felt it was important to have the new team in place, "instead of constant speculation."

McMaster's departure "was not related to any one moment or incident; rather it was the result of ongoing conversations between the two," the official also said.

Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., tweeted that McMaster should be "proud" of the work he did during his tenure and called him "one of the great national security minds of our time and a terrific patriot!" And retiring Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tenn., chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said it had "been a privilege to work with [McMaster] on some of the most pressing issues facing our country."
Long story short,
McMasters is out, and JOHN BOLTON is in... yeah, THAT John Bolton. So another “moderating” voice is being replaced with basically a hawkish whack job.
There is a trend here...
Read "One Wrong Turn"!