Senate candidate wants to arm the homeless

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Senate candidate wants to arm the homeless

Post by Zaune »

FOX 2 Detroit (which is a real news channel, I checked!)
(WJBK) - US Senate hopeful Brian Ellison is aiming to put shotguns in the hands of the homeless.

He plans to raise $10,000 to provide 20 homeless people with weapons as well as training. His reasoning?

"They're significantly more likely to be victims of a crime," he said. "They don't have the means to protect themselves. If you wanted to own a gun you could, I certainly do, but they don't have the means to do that so they're just easy targets."

"It's true the homeless are more likely to be victims then the population at large," said Carmi Finn. "But I think giving them shotguns is not going to help them one little bit."

Carmi Finn is with the gun control group Moms Demand Action. She says some homeless people don't have IDs so how could they get background checks? And what about those who struggle with addiction or a mental illness?

"Also the issue of safe storage," she said. "If you do not have a home, you do not have a gun safe and you don't have any place to safely store that gun to protect yourself or the people around you, or to keep it from being stolen by other criminals on the street."

FOX 2: "Many would make the argument, if you really care about the homeless you would be working really hard to get them off the street and not so much to put guns in their hands?"

"Well I think the implication is everyone wants to be off the street or everyone wants to work. Some people just want to be left alone," Ellison said.

"This has 'really bad idea' written all over it," Finn said.

Ellison's call to arms come as teens urge people to lay them down. Thousands took part in school walk-outs Wednesday, a demonstration supporting more gun control legislation.

Meanwhile, state lawmakers are working on bills. That would allow teachers to carry guns on school grounds.

Gun advocate Rick Ector from the Firearm Academy said he would only support arming the homeless if they could get also get permanent housing.
Apparently Tom Morello was unavailable for comment.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Senate candidate wants to arm the homeless

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Well, at least he's a true believer, I guess. Because no sane plutocrat would arm hungry homeless people out of self-interest.

Though he may just be incredibly stupid.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

This will make dealing with panhandlers interesting.

Monumentally stupid. There will definitely be those who will sell the shotguns for drug\booze money.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Or use them themselves for robbery. Or have them stolen off of them, as the article notes.

The Republican gun fetish has long passed the bounds of sanity.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Kingmaker
Jedi Knight

Post by Kingmaker »

The man who saw Hobo With a Shotgun and unironically thought it was a good idea.
In the event that the content of the above post is factually or logically flawed, I was Trolling All Along.

"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful." - George Box
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Enigma wrote: 2018-03-15 05:47pm This will make dealing with panhandlers interesting.

Monumentally stupid. There will definitely be those who will sell the shotguns for drug\booze money.
Sounds like a problem that can be solved by turning them into integral shotgun equipped homeless cyborgs.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I was thinking 'hobo with a shotgun' too.

But yeah, this is at least the product of someone who has the courage of their convictions, and insofar as it makes people squint at him and ask "are you real?" it will have interesting effects on how we address the issue as a whole.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

This is just whack. It's also frighting to think there are people who's answer to everything seems to be "MOAR GUNZ!!!!"
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-03-15 04:43pmWell, at least he's a true believer, I guess. Because no sane plutocrat would arm hungry homeless people out of self-interest.

Though he may just be incredibly stupid.
On some level, you have to admire the man's commitment to being 100% internally consistent in his ideological convictions, however ridiculous said convictions may be.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

The oppressed class has to have weapons, but also training and organization.

Weapons alone are never enough. Takes more than combat gear to make a man.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

K. A. Pital wrote: 2018-03-16 02:17pmThe oppressed class has to have weapons, but also training and organization.

Weapons alone are never enough. Takes more than combat gear to make a man.
No, but it's a start.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog