Brexit and General UK politics thread

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Re: Brexit and General UK politics thread

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

SpottedKitty wrote: 2018-02-18 11:48pm
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2018-02-17 09:09pm Henry Bolton's gone- nearly two-thirds of UKIP members gave him a vote of no confidence. Some bloke called Gerard Batten will take over until they elect someone new.
I remember a cartoon from way back in the era of The Two Davids, where one of them complains he can see a time when the whole Liberal party can travel to Westminster on a skateboard. That cartoon only needs the serial numbers filed off... :twisted:
Well the election before last they were hammered down into single digits, which is sad since all they did was form a coalition with the Tories and didn't get any credit for acting as a check against some of their policies. Back when Cameron and Clegg were actually popular, certainly moreso than the dull-as-dishwater Gordon Brown.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Ah mobile labour, that's so important for the economy.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/janebradley/br ... ess-slaves
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
His Divine Shadow

Also Ex soviet communist spy Jeremy Corbyn makes a statement that promises better things to come. Nothing about guillotines that I heard, but one takes what one can get I suppose. UK media tries more inept mudslinging.

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status ... 0273234944

Lol yeah he's the one who's rattled.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Update: The Tory MP who started this stupid rumour has made a "grovelling" apology and a donation to charity. Apparently Mr Corbyn rolled a natural 1 on a Patience With This Bullshit check and lawyered up.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
His Divine Shadow

To the other useless spineless social democrats in europe, this is how you roll.
Hillary
Jedi Master

Post by Hillary »

Zaune wrote: 2018-02-24 05:23pm Update: The Tory MP who started this stupid rumour has made a "grovelling" apology and a donation to charity. Apparently Mr Corbyn rolled a natural 1 on a Patience With This Bullshit check and lawyered up.
He tweeted his apology and then subsequently retweeted several older random tweets of his to try and drive it down his timeline. Unfortunately for him, his apology tweet trended big time :D
What is WRONG with you people
His Divine Shadow

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

A great article on the relationship between Britain and her former colonies - and the disconnect between them.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Thanas wrote: 2018-03-10 08:51am A great article on the relationship between Britain and her former colonies - and the disconnect between them.
Or to be more specific, the disconnect between the UK and India since that is what the bulk of the article is focused on. With a bit of Africa thrown in. Basically, the relationship between the UK and countries where colonials did not successfully exterminate most of the population.... isn't good.

However, countries where the indigenous populations were mostly wiped out will probably be more willing to come to the table, since a greater portion of the population will be of UK / Western European descent. Canada for instance will almost certainly come to some kind of agreement post-brexit, particularly since we cannot rely on the US for trade any longer. While NAFTA talks are important, we're already looking for alternatives and preparing for the worst, just in case.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Tribble wrote: 2018-03-10 09:33am
However, countries where the indigenous populations were mostly wiped out will probably be more willing to come to the table, since a greater portion of the population will be of UK / Western European descent. Canada for instance will almost certainly come to some kind of agreement post-brexit, particularly since we cannot rely on the US for trade any longer. While NAFTA talks are important, we're already looking for alternatives and preparing for the worst, just in case.
Yes, both Canada and Australia are willing to consider trade deals with Great Britain, but the unpleasant reality for Britain is that the UK goes to the back of the line. China is a far more important partner for Australia and Canada is much more interested in trading with the EU. The idea that trade with Britain's former colonies will make everything right is a fantasy.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Imperial Overlord wrote: 2018-03-11 03:33am
Tribble wrote: 2018-03-10 09:33am
Yes, both Canada and Australia are willing to consider trade deals with Great Britain, but the unpleasant reality for Britain is that the UK goes to the back of the line. China is a far more important partner for Australia and Canada is much more interested in trading with the EU. The idea that trade with Britain's former colonies will make everything right is a fantasy.
True, but again in Canada's case it is already trading with the EU, particularly now that CETA is provisionally in effect (for better or worse). There really isn't much more that Canada and the EU can add to their agreements except if Canada wanted to join a customs union or something, of which there is pretty much zero chance.

Unless the EU deliberately tries something like putting pressure on Canada not to trade with the UK via the threat of risking having CETA derailed (unlikely but possible) Canada will probably do its best to set up an agreement with the UK post brexit. I disagree with the article's assessment that Canada in particular would put the UK on the back burner, thats all. Cultural and existing economic ties aside, given the current situation of NAFTA it's in our own best interests to conclude something with the uk asap.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
His Divine Shadow

Fair and balanced reporting from the BBC:
https://twitter.com/nw_nicholas/status/ ... 4031641603

Literal baby is UK defence sec
https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/974248348608692226?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

After his response in parliament corbyn deserves to get ripped.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
His Divine Shadow

Sure if you are on the side of literal morons.
His Divine Shadow

Gonna put this here too:
https://twitter.com/PeoplesMomentum/sta ... 5689795584

Corbyns response was the right response, the measured, statesman like response. May and her pack of screaming howling red faced thumb people were making a lot of noise and doing nothing of important, like a bunch of monkeys banging on pots and pans and having learned nothing from the past (see above). What shitty historians they are.

Corbyns suggestions regarding the russian money being funneled through London would also the far more hard hitting sanction. Too bad the tories are literally ought by the russian oligarchs.
His Divine Shadow

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... SApp_Other
There can be no one in Britain who is not outraged by the appalling attack on Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia in Salisbury last week. The use of military nerve agents on the streets of Britain is barbaric and beyond reckless. This horrific event demands first of all the most thorough and painstaking criminal investigation, conducted by our police and security services. They have a right to expect full support in their work, just as the public should also be able to expect calm heads and a measured response from their political leaders. To rush way ahead of the evidence being gathered by the police, in a fevered parliamentary atmosphere, serves neither justice nor our national security.

Theresa May was right on Monday to identify two possibilities for the source of the attack in Salisbury, given that the nerve agent used has been identified as of original Russian manufacture. Either this was a crime authored by the Russian state; or that state has allowed these deadly toxins to slip out of the control it has an obligation to exercise. If the latter, a connection to Russian mafia-like groups that have been allowed to gain a toehold in Britain cannot be excluded.

On Wednesday the prime minister ruled out neither option. Which of these ultimately prove to be the case is a matter for police and security professionals to determine. Hopefully the next step will be the arrest of those responsible.

As I said in parliament, the Russian authorities must be held to account on the basis of the evidence, and our response must be both decisive and proportionate. But let us not manufacture a division over Russia where none exists. Labour is of course no supporter of the Putin regime, its conservative authoritarianism, abuse of human rights or political and economic corruption. And we pay tribute to Russia’s many campaigners for social justice and human rights, including for LGBT rights.
Pretty much think this is sensibility 101. And considering the track records of Corbyn who has found himself consistently on the right side of history on almost every major foreign policy issue of matter... vs his detractors, who basically broke the middle east, killed hundreds of thousands if not millions while jerking themselves raw over liberal western democracy, caused the creation of ISIS, which cause them to shit all over Thanas' archeological ruins, well it's not hard innit to think he might have a point.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Broke the middle east? You mean it wasn't always broken? :lol:
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

His Divine Shadow wrote: 2018-03-16 06:33am Sure if you are on the side of literal morons.

I dunno what is up with you lately but quit acting like the poor old guy who yells at the loud kids. Simmer down and act like a mature, rational being.

As to your argument on the issues - Corbyn is still waivering on the toxin being used by the Russian state. I have no sympathies for Putin enablers like him.
------------
------------
My LPs
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Actually, he was pretty unequivocal on this one; the closest he came to "wavering" was saying that maybe we should make sure beyond reasonable doubt that we had our facts straight before we start the airstrikes.

Not that the redtops saw it that way, of course...
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Zaune wrote: 2018-03-16 04:59pm Actually, he was pretty unequivocal on this one; the closest he came to "wavering" was saying that maybe we should make sure beyond reasonable doubt that we had our facts straight before we start the airstrikes.

Not that the redtops saw it that way, of course...
Nobody is talking about airstrikes.
------------
------------
My LPs
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Thanas wrote: 2018-03-16 05:18pmNobody is talking about airstrikes.
Yet.

Okay, okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a little. But given past performance, would you put it past the current government to decide that nothing creates employment and brings the nation together like a good solid war?

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Zaune wrote: 2018-03-16 07:00pm
Yet.

Okay, okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a little. But given past performance, would you put it past the current government to decide that nothing creates employment and brings the nation together like a good solid war?
Yeah, because the last one worked out great... :wanker: :lol:
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

------------
------------
My LPs
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2018-03-16 07:36pmYeah, because the last one worked out great... :wanker: :lol:
Tell the Tories that.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Zaune wrote: 2018-03-16 07:00pm
Yet.

Wait, are you talking about airstrikes against Russia?

Because that's just a very flashy murder/suicide pact on a global scale.

I don't think even the Tories are that stupid. I hope.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.