Green Party candidate on GOP Payroll

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Green Party candidate on GOP Payroll

Post by Rogue 9 »

This is my shocked face.
Green Party candidate was on state GOP payroll

HELENA, Mont. (AP) — A man who registered as a Green Party candidate for Montana’s U.S. Senate race was on the state Republican Party’s payroll and heads a newly formed anti-tax group, according to a review of election documents.

Timothy Adams filed as a challenger Monday against Democratic Sen. Jon Tester, who faces a tough re-election campaign, in a race where a Green Party candidate could siphon votes from the Democrat.

The Green Party qualified as a political party in Montana on Monday, which was also the state’s deadline for candidates to file for office. Green Party officials blasted an email that morning to solicit candidates who could register by the day’s end.

Adams was one of six people to file as a Green Party candidate for the races on the ballot this fall. A total of seven people are looking to unseat Tester, including four Republicans vying for their party’s nomination.

Adams’ name and phone number is the same as the treasurer of Montanans Against Higher Taxes, a group formed to oppose a legislative referendum on the ballot this fall for a 10-year property tax extension for the state’s university system.

Adams also is accusing the pro-ballot referendum committee of campaign finance violations in a complaint filed with the Commissioner of Higher Practices last month. In that complaint, he lists the same phone number and a home address in Bozeman.

In his Senate filing, he lists a Three Forks post office box as his address. The reason for the disparity was not immediately clear.

Adams did not return calls for comment on Monday and Tuesday.

That same Bozeman address was listed under Adams’ name in Federal Election Commission documents, showing Adams was paid by the Montana Republican State Central Committee from October 2013 through May 2015. His role with the party was not clear.

Adams also filed to run as a Libertarian candidate in a state House race in 2012, but later withdrew.

Green Party state coordinator Danielle Breck said she spoke to all of the candidates who filed under the party’s name, including Adams. She said she reviewed with the candidates the Green Party’s four pillars and 10 key points, which include ending war, halting dependence on fossil fuels and advocating for social justice.

“We don’t actually have any ability to deny candidates to file under our name,” Breck said.

She noted that another person, Steve Kelly of Bozeman, also filed as a Green Party candidate for the Senate race. There will be a primary election to determine the party’s nominee, if both candidates stay in the race.

“We will absolutely vet both of those candidates,” she said.

As of Tuesday, no Green Party candidate filed for the Senate race with the Federal Election Commission, according to the FEC website.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Green Party candidate on GOP Payroll

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Disgusting, but not all that surprising. The Alt. Reich has coopted the fringe Left, and is making it its tool to split the vote.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

This doesn't sound so much like "co-opted" as "infiltrated." There's a difference.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Simon_Jester wrote: 2018-03-16 08:05am This doesn't sound so much like "co-opted" as "infiltrated." There's a difference.
Fair enough, though I'd say both are going on (note that Jill Stein has come under Congressional investigation for her own Russian ties, and has a history of Kremlin-friendly rhetoric).

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/wh ... in-n831261

Personally, I think its largely the single-minded anger and resulting two-dimensional view of the issues by much of the "anti-establishment" crowd that makes this possible/effective. The thinking seems to boil down to:

"The Western establishment is bad."

"Therefore, anything Western officials/intelligence agencies say can be assumed to be false."

"Russia is against the Western establishment."

"Therefore, Russia is innocent/justified in anything its accused of by the West, and all such accusations are just Western propaganda."

Its a horrifyingly simplistic view of the world, but it has a lot of resonance with a lot of people, because it has a kernel of truth to it- there are a lot of problems with Western corporatism and imperialism, and because it seems to be a common tendency of human nature to view the world in simple, "us vs. them" terms. Which in this case makes them ripe targets for Putinist propaganda.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.