You Have the Codes(RAR!)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

You Have the Codes(RAR!)

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

One fine morning, you wake up next to the "football," containing all the codes for the American nuclear arsenal. For purposes of this RAR! these codes cannot be changed.

What do you do?
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Re: You Have the Codes(RAR!)

Post by Tribble »

Does this mean I am the only one who can it? That I have the only one, but usual rules over use apply? Or do I have just a copy while the us government still has the regular one? Is it traceable?
Last edited by Tribble on 2018-03-13 03:39pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Give it back? Ideally to the FBI or somebody on condition of anonymity and immunity, I don't want to spend forever answering questions about how I got it in the first place.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

@Esquire: It's yours to do with as you please.

You can always tell them you switched cases with Trump the last time you were at Mar-a-Lago. Not that it will fly, but... :P
Last edited by U.P. Cinnabar on 2018-03-13 03:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Tribble wrote: 2018-03-13 03:33pm Does this mean I am the only one who can use the codes? That I have the only copy of the codes, but usual rules over use apply? Or do I have just one copy of the codes, while the us government still has their copies?

If it's the ladder I'll just shred my copy and forget I ever had them.
You have the only copies, and sole authority to use them. If any biometrics are involved, then whatever agency provided you with th3 football has seen to that as well.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Hmmm...if it was the codes to everyone's missiles, I'd be tempted to fire them up into space and away from Earth, or use them to hold the various asshole world leaders to ransom and force disarmament of all the other nukes.

Since only the Yank's stockpile, I dunno. Probably keep quiet about it. Tempted to say contact the White House, tell them I have them and demand a big fat salary for not telling anyone, but I doubt that would work with President Cuckoo Bananas in charge.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-03-13 03:39pm
Tribble wrote: 2018-03-13 03:33pm Does this mean I am the only one who can use the codes? That I have the only copy of the codes, but usual rules over use apply? Or do I have just one copy of the codes, while the us government still has their copies?

If it's the ladder I'll just shred my copy and forget I ever had them.
You have the only copies, and sole authority to use them. If any biometrics are involved, then whatever agency provided you with th3 football has seen to that as well.
Fine. After telling Russia, China etc what to expect, I use all the nukes to wipe out the US and its western allies - both their militaries and their civilian populations. Now no one can blame everything on them since they won't be around anymore! Everywhere else will quickly become a paradise! Problem solved! :P
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

That's one solution. :)
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2018-03-13 03:53pm Hmmm...if it was the codes to everyone's missiles, I'd be tempted to fire them up into space and away from Earth, or use them to hold the various asshole world leaders to ransom and force disarmament of all the other nukes.

Since only the Yank's stockpile, I dunno. Probably keep quiet about it. Tempted to say contact the White House, tell them I have them and demand a big fat salary for not telling anyone, but I doubt that would work with President Cuckoo Bananas in charge.
He'd likely dismiss it as fake news. But I like where you're going with this,
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Okay what happens when I die? Do the codes revert to their rightful owner?

Letting anyone know I have them is a fully paid trip to Guantanamo Bay or the morgue.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-03-13 05:17pm Okay what happens when I die? Do the codes revert to their rightful owner?

Letting anyone know I have them is a fully paid trip to Guantanamo Bay or the morgue.
Could you rig up a dead man's switch?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

I don't see why not.

As for getting Trump to believe me, well I can always fire a warning shot...just off that Mars el Largo place he's so bloody fond of. Or Pittsburgh, because why not.

Actually I probably wouldn't even need to launch to get them to believe it. Just send launch orders, then withdraw them shortly afterwards. The Pentagon will pitch a fit even President Orangutan will listen.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Stay very, very quiet. Maybe chuck them into the bottom of the ocean or something.

At any other time, I'd be tempted to give them back, even if I'd probably end up in prison. That's not a responsibility I want to have.

But if I was blessed with the power to keep the nuclear launch codes out of Trump's tiny hands, I don't think I could live with myself if I gave them back to him.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

I'm nuking DC and Florida.
You may call it "draining the swamp".
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I have been handed a large red button that says "DO NOT PUSH OR ELSE."

I do not push the large red button.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Simon_Jester wrote: 2018-03-13 07:06pm I have been handed a large red button that says "DO NOT PUSH OR ELSE."

i am suddenly reminded of the SCRAMMing Up! thread :D

Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

I take a hammer to it, smash it up, throw the remains in the recycling and never speak a word of it. I don't want a button which means the owner can blow up civilization.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/ind
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/tra
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-03-13 03:38pm You can always tell them you switched cases with Trump the last time you were at Mar-a-Lago. Not that it will fly, but... :P
I thought this thread was supposed to be speculative fiction — that belongs in the "becroggling but genuinely plausible" category. :angelic:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-03-13 05:17pm Okay what happens when I die? Do the codes revert to their rightful owner?

Yes. They'd go back to POTUS. Until the next RAR!
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Tribble wrote: 2018-03-13 05:33pm

Could you rig up a dead man's switch?
It would take some doing, from someone who knew he was doing, but, yeah.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2018-03-13 06:00pm I don't see why not.

As for getting Trump to believe me, well I can always fire a warning shot...just off that Mars el Largo place he's so bloody fond of. Or Pittsburgh, because why not.

Actually I probably wouldn't even need to launch to get them to believe it. Just send launch orders, then withdraw them shortly afterwards. The Pentagon will pitch a fit even President Orangutan will listen.
You would ultimately have to provide a demonstration of intent if you threaten to launch. That's the trouble with big sticks.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

SpottedKitty wrote: 2018-03-14 02:46am
U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-03-13 03:38pm You can always tell them you switched cases with Trump the last time you were at Mar-a-Lago. Not that it will fly, but... :P
I thought this thread was supposed to be speculative fiction — that belongs in the "becroggling but genuinely plausible" category. :angelic:
IIRC, Trump did leave the football unattended during one of his vacations to Mar-a-Lago.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-03-13 06:10pm Stay very, very quiet. Maybe chuck them into the bottom of the ocean or something.

At any other time, I'd be tempted to give them back, even if I'd probably end up in prison. That's not a responsibility I want to have.

But if I was blessed with the power to keep the nuclear launch codes out of Trump's tiny hands, I don't think I could live with myself if I gave them back to him.
Not just Trump, but also Pence(who's threatening Savannah with a visit to the Saint Paddy's parade), Ryan, Pompeo, Sessions...

But, this is what part of me wants to do with the codes. Another...well, there's this dimly remembered short story by Charles Stross, I think, where the Supreme Autocrat of the Associated Nations uses thermonuclear terrorism to enforce global unity.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2018-03-13 07:12pm
Simon_Jester wrote: 2018-03-13 07:06pm I have been handed a large red button that says "DO NOT PUSH OR ELSE."

I am still, in my heart of hearts, MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Simon_Jester wrote: 2018-03-14 02:07pm
Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2018-03-13 07:12pm

I am still, in my heart of hearts, MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST.
KAMIKAZE SPACE PILOT approves. Now he RETURNS to PLOTTING to OVERTHROW ALL NATIONS. Because why the fuck not?