Jessica Jones S2 out on Netflix

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Jessica Jones S2 out on Netflix

Post by Dalton »

I've watched Episode 1, and it goes into Origin Story mode, complete with a goofy D-list Superhero and the botanist from The Expanse.

So far it seems to take a little bit of a darker turn as it examines Jessica's motivations and the trauma and fallout from Kilgrave and his death.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
FireNexus
Cookie

Re: Jessica Jones S2 out on Netflix

Post by FireNexus »

Can I just say that I love Terry Chen and want him to be in everything. He convincingly played Prax with his sad puppy dog eyes and this arrogant douchebag, and made me like both of them (though I was predisposed to be a fan of Prax).
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

And once again, the MCU has this odd lesson that trying to improve yourself through science is wrong. Course, that's always been a Marvel cornerstone, just look at half of Spiderman's villains.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Damn that was an awesome season.

Definitely in the top half of MCU shows.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2018-03-12 05:25pm And once again, the MCU has this odd lesson that trying to improve yourself through science is wrong. Course, that's always been a Marvel cornerstone, just look at half of Spiderman's villains.
and Cap... Iron Man... Hulk... Ant-Man and so on?
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-03-12 05:48pm
FaxModem1 wrote: 2018-03-12 05:25pm And once again, the MCU has this odd lesson that trying to improve yourself through science is wrong. Course, that's always been a Marvel cornerstone, just look at half of Spiderman's villains.
(having not seen the series yet I'd appreciate no spoilers in the open, at least for a few posts because I plan to watch it this week)

Cap was a government experiment. Iron Man is a super-suit, not necessarily a biological augmentation, and created as a private project by a super-genius. Ant-Man also falls under the same category of a privately created super-suit (I don't recall if Pym was a government scientist when he made the suit). Hulk was an accident.

I wouldn't say 'improving yourself through science is wrong' is the message-- but to be fair there are few *deliberate* self-improvements along these lines. It's more like the classic 'with great power' etc. line-- if you find yourself improved, use it to be a better person. Even Venom got to play hero a few times, and nobody dunked on him for that.

No comment on how it relates to JJ until I've watched at least a few episodes though.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-03-12 05:48pm
Captain America is the exception. Anyone who tries to follow his footsteps is wrong, and becomes either the Abomination, the Hulk, or the Red Skull(though he was before Cap).

Hell, Hulk is the pinnacle example of why you shouldn't try to use science.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Captain America is also an example of the experiment being done responsibly on a willing subject as part of a relatively benign program. Do any of the others have that?

Also, Doctor Strange is full of sciencey self improvement, considering the MCU's position on magic just being technology that is really advanced.

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Well, that was an interesting season. It didn't have a villain on the level of Kilgrave, but I think it had better pacing and was easier to get through than Season 1.

Between this and Punisher I think the various powers-that-be of the Netflix Marvel shows are starting to figure out how to pace these series.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Indeed, and the lack of a superpowered mirror villain was a refreshing change.

- George Carlin
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Gandalf wrote: 2018-03-12 07:17pm Captain America is also an example of the experiment being done responsibly on a willing subject as part of a relatively benign program. Do any of the others have that?

Also, Doctor Strange is full of sciencey self improvement, considering the MCU's position on magic just being technology that is really advanced.
Well, Red Skull was certainly a volunteer, but that's Nazi science, so probably not sane. As was Bruce Banner and his shown volunteering in The Incredible Hulk. Steve is the exception, not the rule that when it comes to self improvement, it should randomly happen to you, you should not pursue it.
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

That was quite an intriguing finale and sets things up quite well for S3, though I found it odd that The Defenders was barely referenced. I did appreciate the nod to Captain America: Civil War though.
To Absent Friends

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Dalton wrote: 2018-03-15 03:20pm That was quite an intriguing finale and sets things up quite well for S3, though I found it odd that The Defenders was barely referenced. I did appreciate the nod to Captain America: Civil War though.
No comment on Civil War. I'm only past episode 6 now.

But as far as Defenders goes: my understanding is that it underperformed *badly* compared to the other Marvel shows. I've heard some buzz that they won't bother reviving it for a second season. Instead they'll continue the individual series of Daredevil, Luke Cage, etc. If there's a team up at any point in the future, there are options-- Heroes for Hire (Luke Cage and Iron Fist) or a female team with Jessica Jones and a bunch of the women from the other series like Colleen Wing and Misty Knight. That's barring any introduction of new characters, of course. Punisher did reasonably well from what I understand, and they've already filmed Luke Cage S2.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Luke Cage and Iron Fist s2 really should just be combined as HFH. Iron Fist didnt do that well either and that combination worked well in Defenders.

Kind dreading DD3
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Iron Fist did poorly enough from what I recall that I wouldn't be surprised, particularly given the ending of Defenders, that they go with HFH as the basis for an Iron Fist S2 plot. Luke Cage was really good (the shitty Diamondback character aside), so it can stand on its own pretty well, but Danny Rand really needs the help of the other, better characters to work. Finn Jones just isn't that great of an actor, and the homeless-mystic take on the character was not a great direction to go. That series was about six episodes too long.

Anyway. I've enjoyed JJ S2 so far. Certainly it helps a lot that Kilgrave wasn't in this one. I mean, from a strictly literary viewpoint, he was a great character... but my god skeezy as fuck. I'm not sure I can ever look at David Tennant the same way again. Kristen Ritter is carrying the second season pretty well without him, though, and Malcolm is maturing well enough now that he's clean. (although maybe a wee bit of a sex addiction starting to come out?)
streetad
Padawan Learner

Post by streetad »

The common denominator is the Hand and their endless waves of boring ninjas. They were a boring villain from the start and successfully sucked all the momentum out of Iron Fist, the Defenders and half a season of Daredevil.
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-03-15 06:12pm Iron Fist did poorly enough from what I recall that I wouldn't be surprised, particularly given the ending of Defenders, that they go with HFH as the basis for an Iron Fist S2 plot. Luke Cage was really good (the shitty Diamondback character aside), so it can stand on its own pretty well, but Danny Rand really needs the help of the other, better characters to work. Finn Jones just isn't that great of an actor, and the homeless-mystic take on the character was not a great direction to go. That series was about six episodes too long.

Anyway. I've enjoyed JJ S2 so far. Certainly it helps a lot that Kilgrave wasn't in this one. I mean, from a strictly literary viewpoint, he was a great character... but my god skeezy as fuck. I'm not sure I can ever look at David Tennant the same way again. Kristen Ritter is carrying the second season pretty well without him, though, and Malcolm is maturing well enough now that he's clean. (although maybe a wee bit of a sex addiction starting to come out?)
...you should finish the season
To Absent Friends