Star Wars: Rebels

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Re: Star Wars: Rebels

Post by Burak Gazan »

WHAT
DAFUQ
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Well I'm satisfied and now I'm more convinced than ever that Filoni should be in charge.
eMeM
Padawan Learner

Post by eMeM »

Oh my.

It was so terrible, it hit me completely out of nowhere and still hurts. Damn. So this is how people optimistic about the Last Jedi felt.

I feel like the ending makes it very clear that Freddie was telling the truth when he spoke about seven seasons, and Filoni wasn't ending the show on his terms. It's the only reational explanation I can find. The only other one is that even Dave Filoni can't produce decent Star Wars without Lucas, but it can't be true, it's impossible, he is the chosen one.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

I just don't know. Seeing all the youtubers so far literally falling over themselves to praise Filoni? Pure optimism is diabetes. It just doesn't work for me. Maybe that's my problem. But its a bit like Obi-Wan. Maybe just turn away and walk off into the desert night....
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
eMeM
Padawan Learner

Post by eMeM »

It's hard to not be optimistic when you hear Filoni talk about Star Wars, he's my favourite to listen to. And then he pulls things like Rebels Season 4.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Pelranius wrote: 2018-03-05 11:18pm Spoiler
Looks like the great road trip of Thrawn, Ezra, Pellaeon and the 7th fleet is going to be a thing. Bonus points if Ezra uses Jorus as a fake name at some point.
Pellaeon's canon again? Yay! :D

Just give me back Mara Jade, and we'll have every character I regret losing from the old EU.
SAMAS wrote: 2018-03-05 10:18pm I just had a thought. Since it was pretty much confirmed that Rex fought at Endor, that suggests that he spent most of Season 4 at the Yavin base, likely helping to train Rebel soldiers (what else are you gonna do with a veteran Clone Commander?).

So do you think Luke ever got the opportunity to talk to him about his father?
Did Rex ever find out who Vader was? If so, then it would mean he either kept that from Luke (why?), or only talked to him post-RotJ.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Burak Gazan wrote: 2018-03-06 12:23pm I just don't know. Seeing all the youtubers so far literally falling over themselves to praise Filoni? Pure optimism is diabetes. It just doesn't work for me. Maybe that's my problem. But its a bit like Obi-Wan. Maybe just turn away and walk off into the desert night....
I don't mind optimism. I'm sick to death of dark edgy shit being held up as the definition of quality. And I'm sick of the culture of cynicism in general, which has very real effects on society and politics.

That said, I feel like the adds and rumors built up audience expectations for a more Rogue One-style ending, so... yeah, I'm not fond of the old bait and switch.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

[quote "The Romulan Republic" post_id=4050906 time=1520363253 user_id=13059]
Spoiler
Yeah, just in time to get killed off. We never even see him; he gets one line over comms reporting the destruction of the blockade.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Rogue 9 wrote: 2018-03-06 03:57pm [quote "The Romulan Republic" post_id=4050906 time=1520363253 user_id=13059]
Spoiler
Yeah, just in time to get killed off. We never even see him; he gets one line over comms reporting the destruction of the blockade.
If we never see him, how can his death be confirmed?

I just want him to be alive, damn it.

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Galvatron wrote: 2018-03-06 11:28am Well I'm satisfied and now I'm more convinced than ever that Filoni should be in charge.
Oh god what a terrible idea. Not having seen the finale yet, but to ape something someone else said - Rebels quality has been probably - 65% crap, 15% ok, about 10% great. The first half of Season 4 in particular has been some of the worst he's ever produced.

Rebels is at its best when there's episodes about the mysticism of the Force and the Bendu and what not. It's at its worst pretty much any time there's action. The action in Rebels has - with the exception of pretty much any time Vader or Maul was fighting with a lightsaber - always been pretty goddamn terrible - lacking any sort of kinetic-ism, tension, drama, or creativity.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Vympel wrote: 2018-03-06 06:30pm
Oh god what a terrible idea. Not having seen the finale yet, but to ape something someone else said - Rebels quality has been probably - 65% crap, 15% ok, about 10% great. The first half of Season 4 in particular has been some of the worst he's ever produced.

Rebels is at its best when there's episodes about the mysticism of the Force and the Bendu and what not. It's at its worst pretty much any time there's action. The action in Rebels has - with the exception of pretty much any time Vader or Maul was fighting with a lightsaber - always been pretty goddamn terrible - lacking any sort of kinetic-ism, tension, drama, or creativity.
On the other hand, we know that Rebels is very different from the Clone Wars in terms of the action sequences. So it may have less to do with Filoni but more to do with Disney wanting a more kid-friendly show. Afterall, there were tweets from Pablo Hidalgo saying that TCW had problems attracting new kids to the show.

Filoni might do better with less restriction imposed on him.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-03-06 04:01pm
Rogue 9 wrote: 2018-03-06 03:57pm [quote "The Romulan Republic" post_id=4050906 time=1520363253 user_id=13059]
Spoiler

Spoiler
I was under the impression the entire Seventh Fleet got carted off to the Unknown Regions. Though that begs the question of them eventually running into the other Imperials there.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig »

Pelranius wrote: 2018-03-06 10:20pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-03-06 04:01pm
Spoiler

Spoiler
I was under the impression the entire Seventh Fleet got carted off to the Unknown Regions. Though that begs the question of them eventually running into the other Imperials there.
Your spoiler tags are not working
Bullets always have the right of away
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Spoiler tags on this forum software are generally borked.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Holy shit, those whole last five episodes were diabolically bad; absolutely awful.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

ray245 wrote: 2018-03-06 10:11pm
Vympel wrote: 2018-03-06 06:30pm

On the other hand, we know that Rebels is very different from the Clone Wars in terms of the action sequences. So it may have less to do with Filoni but more to do with Disney wanting a more kid-friendly show. Afterall, there were tweets from Pablo Hidalgo saying that TCW had problems attracting new kids to the show.

Filoni might do better with less restriction imposed on him.
While I don't really doubt there was some restriction from on high about violence, what baffles me is how inconsistent they were about it.

Over on Spacebattles there was the whole complaint about them not shooting the stormtroopers directly - but these last few episodes they were gunning stormies down left, right and center. Hell, even Ezra had the thing about not slashing troopers with his lightsaber...except a couple times in "A Fool's Hope" I'm pretty sure he did - or at least was so close to it you could barely tell without slow-moing it.

Like, it'd be one thing if they toned down the violence all around, but sometimes they did and sometimes they didn't. It's weird.

That said, I'd like to see the next series moved off Disney XD; surely there's a Disney TV station that will cater to an older audience? We don't need to go full HBO/Netflix here, but a return to TCW levels of what's acceptable would be nice.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
eMeM
Padawan Learner

Post by eMeM »

Even in A Fools Hope Ezra is slashing stormtrooper weapons. About getting shot left and right, remember that in Rebels getting shot isn't as bad as you'd expect, they often show stormtroopers moving and breathing after meeting a blaster bolt.
PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Post by PhoenixKnig »

But blowing up the Imperial Center does affect a lot casualties on the Imperial part
Bullets always have the right of away
eMeM
Padawan Learner

Post by eMeM »

A signle destroyer is 40 000 - 50 000 people dead, hundreds of thousands died that day on Lothal.

But killing is alright as long as you do it with explosions. Or gravity.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

NecronLord wrote: 2018-03-07 01:46am Holy shit, those whole last five episodes were diabolically bad; absolutely awful.
I'm truly at a loss here. What was so awful about them?
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

I have no idea how the ancient Jedi could possibly have created a Gateway through space and time so I would love a follow-up series to link that more to the eternals or some other ancient race. It just didn't seem like something the peaceful monks would have bothered doing especially since the whole thing there was to let go of the past and let the force lead you. Inventing a transdimensional temporal Highway seems like the complete opposite of all of that?

it did provide a handy explanation for why Ahsoka wasn't around the last season. If she wasn't sure when Ezra entered the portal she kind of has to stay away from him in order to avoid messing up her own past.

Ezra found Obi Wan but Ahsoka couldn't reach out to him until it was too late so she never found out about Kenobi in hiding, or even Luke. Her original cell was wiped out during that time too by thrawn and Kalus had taken over as fulcrum.

By the time lothal was free it seems like Rogue one was underway if I understand this timeline. Obi-Wan and Luke go to the Death Star shortly after. Obi-Wan dies being one of the few who actually knows that Anakin is Luke's father bail Organa being another. Ahsoka never meets anyone else who really knows the whole story and there's nothing to lead her back to Yoda either so the entire middle of the Star Wars epic happens without her. after that the Yavin cell was on the Run hiding on Hoth.

I mean she could have thrown herself at Vader again but it look like he was winning just before Ezra pulled her out so it seems reasonable that she just wasn't part of anything happening even though it would have been really handy to have someone with her experience.It seems like they wrote her out of the OT in one move.

I also don't mind the idea that the rebels had to break up as a team so that some could guard Lothal, and I liked the idea that other worlds might have been in the grips of rebellion themselves when the Yavin cell took out the Death Star. It was a pivotal moment for the galaxy to rally behind but in a large galaxy with others taking part. One thing I dislike about episode 7 and 8 is the galaxy feels small and the resistance/new order just the same few people.

Now if Ahsoka Sabine and the ghost go looking for Ezra they could be off doing that when Luke sets up his school and even during the force awakens timeline.

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

I will say this: They neatly sidestepped showing what a "full scale bombardment of the city" would do by getting the shield up in the nick of time. So at least we're not saddled with a definite upper limit lower than modern nukes like I feared we would be if it was left to this show to put that on screen. :razz:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Rogue 9 wrote: 2018-03-07 04:27pm I will say this: They neatly sidestepped showing what a "full scale bombardment of the city" would do by getting the shield up in the nick of time. So at least we're not saddled with a definite upper limit lower than modern nukes like I feared we would be if it was left to this show to put that on screen. :razz:
The Base Delta Zero lives. :wink:

Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

It also has a smiley-face ignore, that our beloved emperor, kind spirit he is, does nothing to Lothal. Me? Hardheaded bastard who is right INTO revenge... would sent a sector fleet to fucking BURN Lothal and all it's cute widdle fluffy animals to fucking slag. Just BECAUSE I CAN. Come on, people. This is Palpatine. He doesn't do mercy
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Burak Gazan wrote: 2018-03-07 04:44pm It also has a smiley-face ignore, that our beloved emperor, kind spirit he is, does nothing to Lothal. Me? Hardheaded bastard who is right INTO revenge... would sent a sector fleet to fucking BURN Lothal and all it's cute widdle fluffy animals to fucking slag. Just BECAUSE I CAN. Come on, people. This is Palpatine. He doesn't do mercy
If they wanted to show the liberation of Lothal, it should have been done in a post-Endor flash forward.

The idea that the Rebellion could hold territory that wasn't behind a planetary shield pre-Endor doesn't really tally well with what we see on-screen in the OT, or with common sense.