‘Star Wars: Episode 9’ Hires ‘Blade Runner 2049’ Art Director

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

‘Star Wars: Episode 9’ Hires ‘Blade Runner 2049’ Art Director

Post by GuppyShark »

http://www.slashfilm.com/episode-9-art-director/
Details about Star Wars: Episode 9 are sketchy at the moment, but one thing we do know now is that the film will look great. Paul Inglis, art director of Blade Runner 2049, has just been hired for the upcoming J.J. Abrams-directed sequel. More on the Episode 9 art director below.

Paul Inglis, art director on Skyfall, Game of Thrones, Prometheus, Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation, Children of Men, and of course, Blade Runner 2049, is headed to a galaxy far, far away for Star Wars: Episode 9. Omega Underground confirms Inglis’ involvement with the film. Star Wars: The Force Awakens director J.J. Abrams will return to helm the latest chapter in the on-going Skywalker saga, which is expected to start filming in June 2018.
Honestly this makes me wonder why Art Director isn't a higher profile position. Of the films/series above I've seen, I regret seeing none of them - and those that come close, it certainly wasn't the visual design that was at fault.
Visionist
Redshirt

Re: ‘Star Wars: Episode 9’ Hires ‘Blade Runner 2049’ Art Director

Post by Visionist »

All we need now is Deakins on DP duties and the film suddenly starts looking (relatively) promising.

TLJ's look was one of its stronger points I'll admit. The use of vivid red was a clear stylistic choice and (IMO of course) deserved to be used in a better movie. The effective bright to dark fade of the red "holocurtains" in Snoke's throne room lent the scene a surreal air, and Snoke himself, criminally underused and very effectively brought to life by Serkis and the tireless efforts of the CGI crew (is ILM still doing duty on Disney Wars?) was juxtaposed very effectively against this startling backdrop. This CGI character had more actual character to his speech & mannerisms than the film's "heroes".

Says a lot.
-What are the odds of surviving a frontal assault with a Star Destroyer?-
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

This sounds suspicially like the studio bragging about buying the finest quality polish for their turd.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Art director on... Game of Thrones... Children of Men...

Okay, I'm sold.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Blader Runner 2049? S1 of GOT? Whatever else it is, it'll be fuckn gorgeous.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

2049's strengths stemmed from a combination of script and visual strengths.

Remove one, and you'll have a polished turd.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I just love how, when they make a good call, everyone is basically rushing to say "But this is why it will still suck." For a movie that hasn't even started filming yet.

Never change, fandom. Never change.

I mean, sure, it could suck. There are many elements that have to line up to make a good film. But it just seems... overly negative.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-02-17 04:32pm I just love how, when they make a good call, everyone is basically rushing to say "But this is why it will still suck." For a movie that hasn't even started filming yet.

I mean, sure, it could suck. There are many elements that have to line up to make a good film. But it just seems... overly negative.

I just love how people will ignore established patterns and make excuses. Never change, fandom.

Why should we be charitable and not realistic? I have never seen a JJ Abrams movie that was actually good.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Bob the Gunslinger wrote: 2018-02-18 10:59am
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-02-17 04:32pm I just love how, when they make a good call, everyone is basically rushing to say "But this is why it will still suck." For a movie that hasn't even started filming yet.

I just love how people will ignore established patterns and make excuses. Never change, fandom.

Why should we be charitable and not realistic? I have never seen a JJ Abrams movie that was actually good.
I have not seen an Abrams film that I could consider a great cinematic masterpiece, but I have seen Abrams films that I enjoyed overall, and do not regret seeing.

ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-02-18 04:20pm I have not seen an Abrams film that I could consider a great cinematic masterpiece, but I have seen Abrams films that I enjoyed overall, and do not regret seeing.
There are people who think that what Abrams considers to be good filmmaking is nothing more than cheap parlour tricks. His Cloverfield "franchise" is nothing more than a marketing gimmick, just like the set-up offered by Abrams in TFA.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

ray245 wrote: 2018-02-18 05:55pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-02-18 04:20pm I have not seen an Abrams film that I could consider a great cinematic masterpiece, but I have seen Abrams films that I enjoyed overall, and do not regret seeing.
There are people who think that what Abrams considers to be good filmmaking is nothing more than cheap parlour tricks. His Cloverfield "franchise" is nothing more than a marketing gimmick, just like the set-up offered by Abrams in TFA.
I haven't seen Cloverfield, so I can't comment.

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

ray245 wrote: 2018-02-18 05:55pm There are people who think that what Abrams considers to be good filmmaking is nothing more than cheap parlour tricks. His Cloverfield "franchise" is nothing more than a marketing gimmick, just like the set-up offered by Abrams in TFA.
Abrams didn't even write or direct Cloverfield. What has it got to do with his filmmaking? You obviously have no idea what you're on about, you're not even across basic facts like his filmography.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Vympel wrote: 2018-02-20 03:27am
ray245 wrote: 2018-02-18 05:55pm There are people who think that what Abrams considers to be good filmmaking is nothing more than cheap parlour tricks. His Cloverfield "franchise" is nothing more than a marketing gimmick, just like the set-up offered by Abrams in TFA.
Abrams didn't even write or direct Cloverfield. What has it got to do with his filmmaking? You obviously have no idea what you're on about, you're not even across basic facts like his filmography.
I know he's not the director.

He's the producer of those movies. To my knowledge, he's the one who turned another movie that he produced into a pseudo-sequel, aka 10 Cloverfield lane.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.