Federation actively supporting Cardassians against the Maquis

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Re: Federation actively supporting Cardassians against the Maquis

Post by Lonestar »

The Cardassians were not "rough equals", and TNG saw some routine encounters with hostile species where the ships weren't within spitting distance of The 1701-D.

It's understanding why cutting a deal with the Klingons or Romulans is needed, like I said further up though, the Cardassians got rolled so easily by the Klingons there can't really be any doubt they are a second or third rate power.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Lonestar wrote: 2018-02-12 06:55pm The Cardassians were not "rough equals", and TNG saw some routine encounters with hostile species where the ships weren't within spitting distance of The 1701-D.

It's understanding why cutting a deal with the Klingons or Romulans is needed, like I said further up though, the Cardassians got rolled so easily by the Klingons there can't really be any doubt they are a second or third rate power.
Cardassians aren't but Klingons and Romulans are. The reason (besides general distaste for war) is that the Romulan Star Empire or Klingon Empire would react to major shifts in the balance of power so the Federation cannot be the interstellar bully towards powers weaker then it because that would risk shifting the balance of power too much in the wrong direction.

The Romulans and Klingons matter even when not directly dealing with them.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I think The Wounded represents the biggest gulf in Federation and Cardassian capabilities we see. And even there it's an absolute top of the line Federation ship against the cardassian workhorse ship. The crappy Mirandas we most often see doing colony runs would have had much more trouble with them.

The cardassian war seems to have been more skirmishing and striking where starfleet weren't than straight up strength to strength combat and might have drained starfleet disprortionately to how they should have fared on paper.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

I wonder what'd happen if the Federation just showed up with some transports immediately off the bat and said, "You're colonists, this is disputed territory, we do not land snatch. Get on, we will take you to a different world, yea it sucks you lose so much work but this is not the land of your ancestors period. Move."
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Q99 wrote: 2018-02-14 06:51am I wonder what'd happen if the Federation just showed up with some transports immediately off the bat and said, "You're colonists, this is disputed territory, we do not land snatch. Get on, we will take you to a different world, yea it sucks you lose so much work but this is not the land of your ancestors period. Move."
wasn't there a TNG episode where they essentially did that?
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Lord Revan wrote: 2018-02-14 07:06am
Q99 wrote: 2018-02-14 06:51am I wonder what'd happen if the Federation just showed up with some transports immediately off the bat and said, "You're colonists, this is disputed territory, we do not land snatch. Get on, we will take you to a different world, yea it sucks you lose so much work but this is not the land of your ancestors period. Move."
wasn't there a TNG episode where they essentially did that?
Journey's End. Wesley's last episode. And yeah, they want to move them off. They don't want to go. They eventually agree to stay on the planet and become cardassian citizens as the planet is cardassian territory.