The Autobiography of Jean Luc Picard

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

The Autobiography of Jean Luc Picard

Post by FaxModem1 »

I just finished reading this yesterday. It was quite an interesting read, and really delves into Picard's personality. He seems to be less confidant and self assured, or at least seems that way in reflection as he writes his biography as a retired man tending to his vineyards.

Anyone else read it?
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Re: The Autobiography of Jean Luc Picard

Post by Elheru Aran »

Had a flip through it the other day at the bookstore. Seemed alright, but it seems mainly composed of pre-TNG experiences. Once it reaches TNG it kinda just zooms on through to retirement which basically consists of "retires, dinks about, a little more stuff happens". Without spoiling it, it seems largely an exercise in fluff, and somewhat of a lead-in for possible STO tie-ins.

Kinda fun seeing the photoshopped pictures of pre-TNG Picard, though.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Sounds like someone saw a good cash cow in the "Autobiography of James T. Kirk" I spotted in a bookshop a year or so back. I used to buy a lot of these things, but I've pretty much gone off them now.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-02-08 01:15pm Had a flip through it the other day at the bookstore. Seemed alright, but it seems mainly composed of pre-TNG experiences. Once it reaches TNG it kinda just zooms on through to retirement which basically consists of "retires, dinks about, a little more stuff happens". Without spoiling it, it seems largely an exercise in fluff, and somewhat of a lead-in for possible STO tie-ins.

Hair or no hair? :wink:
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I wouldn't mind reading the Picard autobiography. He is my favorite captain, after all.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-02-08 10:44pm I wouldn't mind reading the Picard autobiography. He is my favorite captain, after all.

It's a good read. I resonated with him rather well. Picard's nature as a Renaissance man is due to a lot of interests over the years and the different career paths before him.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

AniThyng wrote: 2018-02-08 10:01pm
Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-02-08 01:15pm Had a flip through it the other day at the bookstore. Seemed alright, but it seems mainly composed of pre-TNG experiences. Once it reaches TNG it kinda just zooms on through to retirement which basically consists of "retires, dinks about, a little more stuff happens". Without spoiling it, it seems largely an exercise in fluff, and somewhat of a lead-in for possible STO tie-ins.

Hair or no hair? :wink:
Hair. Looks like a strange blend of young Picard from that episode with Q where he gets stabbed in the heart, with Patrick Stewart's face. Then later in pictures with Jack Crusher, he looks like he did with the lousy toupee from the Stargazer episode.

Here's one...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Sigh... if only books were canon. Then we could say that this decanonized Nemesis.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.