Solo Trailer

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Re: Solo Trailer

Post by Soontir C'boath »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-02-05 04:36pm And why would they? After all, unless this film is a complete flop, they'll probably want to do a Han Solo Two.

Its not like Rogue One, where the premise of the film largely negates the possibility of a sequel (actually, ironically, the closest thing to a "sequel" for Rogue One is A New Hope).
You're taking that last sentence far beyond the heavy breathing I can hear from here in NYC.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Soontir C'boath wrote: 2018-02-05 04:44pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-02-05 04:36pm And why would they? After all, unless this film is a complete flop, they'll probably want to do a Han Solo Two.

Its not like Rogue One, where the premise of the film largely negates the possibility of a sequel (actually, ironically, the closest thing to a "sequel" for Rogue One is A New Hope).
You're taking that last sentence far beyond the heavy breathing I can hear from here in NYC.
I'm honestly not sure what you're trying to say, though I get the feeling that its meant to be insulting.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Anacronian wrote: 2018-02-05 04:32pm Is it too pessimistic that I truly believe that all these story "options" were on a whiteboard somewhere at Disney?
Nope. Pablo Hidalgo probably wrote them himself.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

As an aside, we also get to see why Luke's reaction on first seeing the Falcon was "What a piece of junk!" — the Falcon as a straight-from-the-showroom YT-1300 might as well be a different ship altogether. It's clean! It's shiny! It doesn't have all those missing hull panels! :wink:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Nor the dent where Han smacked it into a TIE fighter.
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

Han, can we talk about your cleaning and maintenance habits please?
(Or is this from another YT-1300 but fresh from the Assembly line / well maintained)

The reason I think this movie should be "Calrissian: A Star Wars Story":

I wouldn't be surprised if Han crashes this YT-1300 at some point.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

I wonder if it's possible that we will finally get to see some of the areas of the Falcon that we haven't seen before?

(Won't it cause all kinds of confusion in the canon if the Falcon is completely new in the solo film? I mean isn't it canon as well that the YT 1300 we see in RotS is also the falcon?)
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

Which YT-1300 in RotS? Don't we see several at least at the on Naboo at the spaceport?
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

I think this one was confirmed as the Falcon, I may be wrong though.
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I don't even see a YT in that pic. I think that's the kind of easter egg, they'll feel free to ignore.
eMeM
Padawan Learner

Post by eMeM »

Bottom of the pic, right below the horizontal areas.

And nah, that's serious business, Lucas said it's the Falcon back in the day, and Story Group people said it won't create any plotholes, and we will see in May.

I think the standard YT looks like the Falcon, just in better condition, and the long nose etc. were all Lando's modifications that he installed for racing, yachting, looking luxurious, or whatever he was doing, and Han tore it down as all he needed was a freighter.
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Well we could guess that the falcon is old but Lando keeps a clean ship, We could also guess that the droid seen in the trailer is the one doing the cleaning and then some wacky shenanigans happens that makes solo dislike the droid and it gets booted off the ship - and by that we have explained why Solo dislikes droids and why the falcon needs a good cleaning, It will be great fun for everybody hah hah.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

FWIW, this was reported way back in September:

Rumour: The Millennium Falcon will have a new look in Han Solo: A Star Wars Story
“The Falcon is brand new and owned by Lando in the untitled Han Solo film. It has blue detailing all over it with a white base coat of paint. The other interesting detail is that we finally see the Falcon doing what it is supposed to do with cargo. Basically there’s an attachment that hooks into the front of the ship’s front “forks” and that elongates the front of the ship. It looks seamless but can also detached to drop a shipment of spice if Imperial entanglements get too complicated. The center of the ship allows for access to the cargo.”
If that's true, I'm actually happy to see it.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Anyone else come across the Haynes Owner's Workshop Manual for the Falcon? Can't remember what it said about the front prongs, but there's mention of cargo lifts on the underside leading in to at least two cargo bays. A fun read, although I've only browsed it quickly when I saw it a few weeks ago in the shops.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

The ship isn't big enough for cargo bays. It works as a smuggling ship (transporting high value cargo that doesn't take up much space) and as a tug that moves (by the design, probably pushes) external cargo around.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

The cargo bays I saw in the book weren't big, maybe a little bigger than the passenger lounge we saw in ANH. Although, with all the contradictory deck plans floating around the various fan sites, it would be just as easy to shut your eyes and point, and say "that one's the One True Falcon". :wink:
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Not only is the Falcon not big enough for cargo bays, its not big enough for what we see in every single movie, and never has been. That thing is a TARDIS.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

SpottedKitty wrote: 2018-02-06 06:53pm Anyone else come across the Haynes Owner's Workshop Manual for the Falcon? Can't remember what it said about the front prongs, but there's mention of cargo lifts on the underside leading in to at least two cargo bays. A fun read, although I've only browsed it quickly when I saw it a few weeks ago in the shops.
Try this...

http://web.archive.org/web/200104252029 ... ndible.htm

I wish Kenner had actually manufactured and sold that toy shown at the bottom.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Vympel wrote: 2018-02-08 03:06am Not only is the Falcon not big enough for cargo bays, its not big enough for what we see in every single movie, and never has been. That thing is a TARDIS.
This is how bad it gets:

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

IIRC, the miniature FX model was the correct size for its scale and it was the life-size mock-up that was too small to fit the interior.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Galvatron wrote: 2018-02-08 04:51pm IIRC, the miniature FX model was the correct size for its scale and it was the life-size mock-up that was too small to fit the interior.
Not sure I follow here...the disconnect is due to the interior set not fitting into the exterior design. I don't think the miniature and life-size exterior are very different in proportions, though I definitely could be wrong there.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

If you have time to spare, I suggest reading Bob Brown's conclusion based on his analyses of the differing sizes of the various depictions of the Falcon here:

http://web.archive.org/web/200104260053 ... mfplan.htm
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

The drawing for the interior actually isn't terrible. The biggest mistakes seem to be in the angle between the boarding ramp and the cockpit, and in that it spreads out a little too much mainly to the amount of corridor space it has. The big square block of living/cargo space could fit reasonably well in the front or side of the ship behind the mandibles.

But honestly at this point I don't think -anybody- is making a serious argument that the Falcon was intended to be a space freighter. We already saw what a space freighter is supposed to look like, and that was the big container ship Han and Chewie were on in TFA. Not to mention Ansel's replenishment ship design.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Galvatron wrote: 2018-02-08 04:21pm
SpottedKitty wrote: 2018-02-06 06:53pm Anyone else come across the Haynes Owner's Workshop Manual for the Falcon? Can't remember what it said about the front prongs, but there's mention of cargo lifts on the underside leading in to at least two cargo bays. A fun read, although I've only browsed it quickly when I saw it a few weeks ago in the shops.
Try this...

Side note: Do any of you know if anybody has made a model of quality off the first ship seen on this site? (The R.Mcquarrie design)
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Anacronian wrote: 2018-02-08 05:33pm
Galvatron wrote: 2018-02-08 04:21pm
Try this...

Side note: Do any of you know if anybody has made a model of quality off the first ship seen on this site? (The R.Mcquarrie design)
No, but a few people have kitbashed the conical-nosed version that got modified into a Space: 1999 ship.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.