Black Panther Trailer

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Black Panther Trailer

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Eh, hiding inside a friendly sovereign state that presumably won't extradite them seems like a good idea, unless the US and its allies are willing to invade Wakanda to bring them to Justice.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

I actually enjoyed Steel......

Anyway, looking forward to this. Black Panther was always pretty darn interesting, a King of a nation pretty much playing Batman and managing to be honorable and quite the badass despite quite a few people including members of his own nation being d-bags. He's like Namor except doesn't suck and isn't a genocidal asshole.

Though probably the thing I'm most looking forward to is Andy Serkis actually being Andy Serkis on screen instead of yet another CG character. That and Wakanda itself, like with Asgard I'm a sucker for fantastic and amazing realms.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Black Panther's final confrontation with the villain in Civil War is probably my favourite scene in a film that I'm otherwise not very fond of.

Really, he was pretty cool.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

https://youtu.be/xjDjIWPwcPU

Second trailer!

This continues to look awesome, and we get more story hints.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

By process of elimination and the presence of Black Panther in Infinity War, it looks all but certain that this is the film that will put into play the last Infinity Stone, the orange-coloured Soul Stone.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Q99 wrote: 2017-06-12 06:56pmAh, ancient alien stuff. At first I was, "cool, aliens visiting us in the past would be neat!". Then over time I realized how much it (and many other conspiracy theories) were 'non-white people can't build stuff, especially if they did it first'. Pyramids? Aliens. Stone heads? Aliens. Stone columns and sculpture right across from the pyramids? Oh, no, that was us!
To be fair, the same ancient astronaut fanboys often also claim that aliens built, say, Stonehenge. I think the biggest reason nonwhites get hit harder with it is because nonwhites were the only people doing much building of cool monuments prior to, oh, 500 BC. If white people had done more impressive monumental architecture in the distant, demi-literate early history of civilization, if there were all sorts of unsourced or poorly sourced cyclopean ruins scattered all over Europe instead of just a few collections of megaliths, we'd hear more about how aliens helped build those things.

That said, I don't much care if the Wakandans got their technology from aliens in the first place, because that technology is clearly better than ANYONE else has, with the possible exception of Tony Stark's personal inventory. It's not a case of aliens showing up and making Africans look like primitives cowering before gods, it's a case of aliens showing up and making everyone look like primitives cowering before gods, only the aliens in question just happened to land in Africa.

The fact that futuristic high tech no one else in the world has came from aliens? Unsurprising and a common movie trope. The fact that the Wakandans have succeeded in maintaining and applying that technology to build and sustain a thriving nation? That's impressive, and not every people in the world could have duplicated that.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

There's a group saying they want to ruin the RT score and spoil fans of the movie

They claim that they're irate DC fans who feel the DCEU's scores/reception was sabotaged, but it's eyebrow-raising the movie they picked is not the big tentpole MCU movie, but rather the one with African characters. (Or in other words, it's racial, just with the normal smokescreen)

And in other news, Black Panther is breaking the record for most advanced ticket sales of any superhero movie ever
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Interesting that BP is out in the UK in 10 days time, 4 days before the USA.
They claim that they're irate DC fans who feel the DCEU's scores/reception was sabotaged, but it's eyebrow-raising the movie they picked is not the big tentpole MCU movie, but rather the one with African characters. (Or in other words, it's racial, just with the normal smokescreen)
So as well as being bitter about DC's complete failure to compete with the MCU (Wonder Woman aside), they're a bunch of racist shitbags as well?

Hilariously, the 'event' on Facebook is going strong at 0 going and 0 interested! :lol:

According to the article though, they are actually going after Infinity War after all. Good luck with that... :wanker: :mrgreen:
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Yea, it's not so much DC fans as racists who invoke DC 'cause they're mad Marvel put out a black-lead movie that looks to do really well.

And I am jealous of the earlier release ^^

I also have my fingers crossed that somehow it might outdo Infinity War. Unlikely, I know (I mean, for one thing, it has T'challa so BP fans will go see it!), and I don't want IW to do badly, just saying, it'd be awesome.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

These are the same kind of guys who hate Discovery for having a black female lead and hate the new Star Wars for having a woman being the talented Force user from a desert planet. Fuck them. I'm eager to see Black Panther and I hope it kicks even more ass at the box office than it's expected to.

P.S.: If you have other criticisms of above shows, I'm not talking about you.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Imperial Overlord wrote: 2018-02-03 10:42am P.S.: If you have other criticisms of above shows, I'm not talking about you.
I wish this could go without saying ^^
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

I don't.. man, shit just got weird at some point. I've been meaning to post here in that I just don't get the bullshit and I'm going to have to assume it's "The Internet" and it's insistent on Facebook bullshit. And then Cracked says it better
Which would almost imply that we've gone backward since then, that Black Panther feels like a trailblazer because it does indeed have to re-blaze the trail. Blade came along at the tail end of the Clinton years, a year before the box office would be dominated by parables about mediocre white males having a crisis of identity (American Beauty, Fight Club, The Matrix). Since then we've seen regression, not just in terms of race relations but also in what kind of risks movies like this were willing to take. Twenty years later, a movie like Black Panther (and a show like Luke Cage, while we're at it) feels like a bold slap in the face to the Trump Era.
Because no one gave a fuck about Blade. Well, they did. But it was judged based on it's merits as a film. Blade 1 and 2 were fucking great movies, but people take them as NOT comic movies, even though they totally are. They don't get any credit where it's due and maybe I just want to talk some shit here about Hollywood because maybe we'd be at a better place in race relations if they hadn't given us 18 years of white guys saving the world/universe in sterile PG-13 by the numbers action movies Black Panther would rightfully just be another movie that's judged on it's merits.

But I also get the feeling that this movie is being marketed as the "hey, we're being supportive to minorities here: PLEASE BUY." But I can't tell if that's the marketing or just the racist asshats because I care so little about movie bullshit these days because I am so massively fucking disappointed in society that this is even still an issue. And I actually do not dump all the blame on racist assholes, just most of it, but I feel they've be GIVEN a platform.

Like... whatever, Predator... the most Red Meat™ movie ever. Have you seen the cast? They had an actual Native American (sidenote: Sonny Landham died last year and no one gave fucks... sad day). Yea, it loses point for the incredibly homophobic remark, but you can't have everything and Ventura isn't exactly the nicest guy around.

But now I feel like if the Black Panther tanks: then Hollywood will be all lie "See! Black leads don't sell" because there's so much riding on it. I doubt it will tank, but I'm so tired of having conversations about this shit when I grew up watching movies in the "racist and sexist" era that had much more diverse casting.

To be fair Wesley Snipes was a household name, but he also never had that same "make white people feel calm" talent that Will Smith had, and he was still a very popular actor. Maybe I'm just too fucking old but I'm damned disappointed in.... everything that this is an issue. And maybe it's because anything PG-13 just screams "Risk Adverse!"

But like... oh shit, I hate everything: IF THEY MADE an R-rated movie with a black lead today, people be all "oh, so now we only cast black actors in super-gory movies?" and thinking about just makes me tired.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Part of it is also Blade was, well, a movie about vampires and such, something easy to dismiss as schlock, while right now, superheroes rule Hollywood and are viewed as much more important with the fate of studios on the line.

And yea, it's weird, something can be pretty major, but then a simple perception shift and something else is what is *perceived as* moving it into the mainstream, and then people throw a fit.

Though I'll also note, there were certainly lots of racist comments and sexist backlash back in the day, it's just sans internet it was easier to be unaware of it. Like the Star Trek Discovery thing, it's easy to forget that Sisko and Tuvok both had people up in arms and make tons of racist comments, Janeway got sexist backlash too, etc.. This stuff didn't just appear.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

TheFeniX wrote: 2018-02-05 10:15am Because no one gave a fuck about Blade. Well, they did. But it was judged based on it's merits as a film. Blade 1 and 2 were fucking great movies, but people take them as NOT comic movies, even though they totally are.
Blade wasn't judged as a comic book movie for the same reason Men In Black wasn't.

Nobody had heard of them.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

I am tempted to see this. I will preface this by saying that I was never a big fan of the Black Panther (I was a big comic book reader in the 1990s) and my favourites were Thor and the Avengers, with a liking for Sersi (Who :D ) and Vision and also to a lesser extent, Iron Man. Yes I realise since the 1990s Black Panther has been umm, "souped up" to make him waaay more cooler.

It does look promising and on the plus side if it gives the middle finger to racists, yeah why not?
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Q99 wrote: 2018-02-06 03:36amPart of it is also Blade was, well, a movie about vampires and such, something easy to dismiss as schlock, while right now, superheroes rule Hollywood and are viewed as much more important with the fate of studios on the line.
A pre-X-Men(2000) comic movie would have been considered more "schlock" than a movie about mowing down vampires. The only exception being a Superman or Batman movie with a big name behind the mask. Intelligently, while the credits peg it as a comic movie, all the trailers could be summed up as "Wesley Snipes is a daywalking Vampire about to kung-fu kick all the vampires everywhere. Also, something about ice skating uphill."
And yea, it's weird, something can be pretty major, but then a simple perception shift and something else is what is *perceived as* moving it into the mainstream, and then people throw a fit.
Almost like "normal people" make more an issue out of race/sex than comic book nerds. EDIT: or maybe the same, but there are more normal people and they seem to be as loud if not louder.
Though I'll also note, there were certainly lots of racist comments and sexist backlash back in the day, it's just sans internet it was easier to be unaware of it. Like the Star Trek Discovery thing, it's easy to forget that Sisko and Tuvok both had people up in arms and make tons of racist comments, Janeway got sexist backlash too, etc.. This stuff didn't just appear.
Kate Mulgrew got death threats, so did multiple execs at Paramount IIRC. People went to jail. Still hard to find good info here and I still don't know exactly what, if anything, Avery Brooks had to deal with when he was cast as Sisko. But TV in general was much better about race in the 90s, even though certain popular shows acted like black people didn't exist.

Once again IIRC, Friends brought in..... shit... Lana's voice actor in Archer. Aisha Tyler? Taylor? Whatever. to date Ross late in the series, which of course lead to backlash from the "Ross + Rachael" crowd, but I don't recall her race being a factor at all. Even for the character except for a few comments.

But these days, I feel like there's already a platform for racists and sexists with the popularity of the Internet, but we continually give them an even bigger platform as long-winded tripe is written about the "rise of X, please give us clicks" instead of something like "Racist dipshits said stupid things, news at 11."
Vendetta wrote: 2018-02-06 05:30amBlade wasn't judged as a comic book movie for the same reason Men In Black wasn't.
Even among comic nerds, at least in what the WWW was at the time, any argument of "Blade was supposed to be white" was almost immediately met with "Yea, but Snipes is awesome." But that's just anecdotal. As bad as Comic Book fans are, it would not surprise me in the least if the most vitriol against Black Panther comes from people who've never purchased a comic book.

EDIT2: Though this could be metered by comic nerds being starved for a good movie, they'd take anything. With Comic movies now being the big sell, they may be more picky./EDIT

You know, normal people who have claimed ownership of a genre when they would have heap tons of abuse on fans of it in their younger years. NOW they suddenly care about a black superhero.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

He was certainly cool in Civil War, his comment about death "being only the beginning" in his culture could be a hint at the soul stone making itself known, we'll know soon if this is the case or whether it'll be IW.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

TheFeniX wrote: 2018-02-06 01:17pm
Vendetta wrote: 2018-02-06 05:30amBlade wasn't judged as a comic book movie for the same reason Men In Black wasn't.
Even among comic nerds, at least in what the WWW was at the time, any argument of "Blade was supposed to be white" was almost immediately met with "Yea, but Snipes is awesome." But that's just anecdotal. As bad as Comic Book fans are, it would not surprise me in the least if the most vitriol against Black Panther comes from people who've never purchased a comic book.
Blade was never white in the comics anyway. The original character was full on '70s blaxploitation like Luke Cage. (And about as sensibly dressed). He was only ever white in the Spider-Man TV show.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Vendetta wrote: 2018-02-06 05:55pm
Blade was never white in the comics anyway. The original character was full on '70s blaxploitation like Luke Cage. (And about as sensibly dressed). He was only ever white in the Spider-Man TV show.
You beat me to it. Yes, Blade was always black, until someone decided to whitewash him for a kid's cartoon.
Black Panther used to be more street-level like Daredevil and Cage, not a King of a hidden tech African nation.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Coop D'etat
Jedi Knight

Post by Coop D'etat »

Vendetta wrote: 2018-02-06 05:55pm
I totally read 90s Spider-Man Blade as being black. He was about the same skin tone on the show as Robbie Robertson, who was pretty explicitly African American. Not to mention the main creative in charge of that show was pretty proudly African American and I doubt he would white wash a character.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

LadyTevar wrote: 2018-02-06 06:51pm Black Panther used to be more street-level like Daredevil and Cage, not a King of a hidden tech African nation.
Black Panther was always a King, that was how he first appeared-- the FF went to Wakanda for some reason and encountered him there.

He just kinda ended up hanging out in New York a lot after that until Christopher Priest (I think) revamped the character fairly thoroughly in the 90s. It was something like... he's in New York visiting the Wakandan Embassy or some such silliness, whoops there's a mugging going on down the alley, better change real quick... I also don't think he really had a steady series until the 90s either, he was mostly a guest character in a lot of comics.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Vendetta wrote: 2018-02-06 05:55pmBlade was never white in the comics anyway. The original character was full on '70s blaxploitation like Luke Cage. (And about as sensibly dressed). He was only ever white in the Spider-Man TV show.
Good call: Combination brain fart and getting off on a rant there on my part. The "Blade was white crowd" came out of the people who obviously never read the comic. Which lead to some fairly large dust ups between comic fans and those who only would have seen him in the cartoon.

I think my point was, if I even had one, was that the movie came out and people just shut the fuck up. Like Batfleck: the only difference I can see between that and Keaton Batman is that the Internet just makes everything seem a shitload louder. Same morons crying, same morons drowned out after release.

One can hope this happens with Black Panther and it's looking like it will due to precedent because people actual do tend to judge movies on their merits. For another "ZOMG PC out of control" shitshow you had Fury Road and Ghostbusters. For all the hype, the movies rested on their quality as movies, not the decisions in casting.

Which is why I'm getting kind of tried of giving racists and sexists a continued platform in what is obviously (to me at least) a ploy for clicks based on the controversy. It also doesn't help with how timid Hollywood is in dealing with a group of angry people who just don't matter.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD9WCpNFpnY

Death Battle talks a bit about him in the BP vs Batman video.

All I have to say is, they definitely powered him up since I started reading some comics in the 1990s. :lol: For the better definitely. Back in the day, he was just a second rate Captain America with special vibranium weapons to fight Klaw, who used sonic based attacks. Aside from the vibranium gimmick, I didn't think he had much going for him in the superhero department. Although even then his country was technologically advanced.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Yeah I remember him as being Batman-esque, from comics in the 00s.