47-Minute, Womanless Cut Of ‘The Last Jedi’

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: 47-Minute, Womanless Cut Of ‘The Last Jedi’

Post by Simon_Jester »

On the one hand, there's a need to keep acknowledging that these things are going on, so long as there is (to make up a number) 20% or whatever of the population still doing them.

On the other hand, there's a certain angle-grinder-to-the-soul sensation that comes from having to spend all the time "admitting" this and retreating from positions and stances one adopted for non-sexist or non-racist reasons, because somewhere at some time a misogynist or a racist expressed a similar position, often for different reasons. I think the sheer tiresomeness of having to do that contributes to some people's desire to "evade acknowledging the problem."

It's like having a third cousin who's a notorious local criminal and ne'er-do-well and being called out on his behavior all the time. At some point you just want to throw up your hands and say "look, I don't even talk to the bastard, my side of the family disowned him years ago, I have no ability to influence his behavior and I'm exhausted and miserable of trying to talk about him, so can we please find something else to talk about JEEZ!?"
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
jollyreaper
Jedi Master

Post by jollyreaper »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2018-01-16 10:37pm I know. I got blocked on Facebook by a longtime friend and liberal activist for daring to complain about the movie's blunders with technological continuity because evidently only closet Nazis don't like the movie. It's fucking bizarre.
People get irrationally salty over this. I don't get it.
jollyreaper
Jedi Master

Post by jollyreaper »

Q99 wrote: 2018-01-17 03:07pm
There being a sexist brigade who strongly objects to anything with too prominent of women has been a feature of the last several years of media. Honestly the 'this isn't real, it's just people strawmanning the critics!' of a couple posters is facepalm worthy. Have you been under a rock?
They're loud but I don't know how numerous they are. The Discovery critique is stupid. It's bad because it's bad, not because there's a black woman in it.

Reddit went nuts when Trevor Noah took over the Daily Show. Oh, he's awful. Social justice casting. No, I don't object he's black, he's just not funny. Blah blah. I never got the criticism. I thought he was great.

So all I can really do is consider the ratings on something like that. Larry Wilmore lost his show. The racists will say because black ain't funny but personally I just thought the show wasn't good. And it was canceled for ratings. Daily Show is still going strong.

So my suspicion is that these guys are loud but not numerous. But that was a large turnout in Charlottesville so maybe I'm wrong.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

"Numerous" is relative. There are millions, probably tens of millions, of overtly and publicly racist/misogynist people just in America today. Enough to make Donald fucking Trump a Presidential contender, with foreign interference and our own fucked-up system pushing him over the top (he lost the popular vote, but not by nearly as much as I'd have liked).

A distinct minority of the total population, maybe (at least, I hope), but definitely enough to be a disruptive and dangerous political force.

There are also a lot of people who parrot the hard-liners' rhetoric without really putting much thought into it. That probably accounts for some of the people (the ones who aren't just lying) who SAY that they aren't racist/misogynist- but immediately ASSUME that any minority or woman who is cast in a traditionally male role was only picked for political reasons, not merit.

But yeah, they have a disproportionate presence vs. their actual numbers, I think. Now, this is in no way a scientific survey, of course, but I think its illuminating:

Go some time to the Facebook page for a franchise like Star Wars, or Doctor Who, which has recently put a female lead in a traditionally male role. Go to an article/post related to that topic. Look at the top comments. Then tally up the numbers of "likes", "loves", angry face smiles, etc.

Generally, I've found that the positive responses from likes, etc., will far outnumber the negative ones (particularly in the Who fandom), but that the top comments will very often be dominated by loud, bigoted trolls. So they dominated the discussion by stirring things up and drawing attention to themselves, even though they likely represent a small minority, at least within that fandom.

Edit: Bottom line is that, unfortunately, the Alt. Reich seems much, much better at getting its ugly Nazi tendrils into social media than the Left, as a whole, is at countering it.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
jollyreaper
Jedi Master

Post by jollyreaper »

I understand what you mean. The problem is that a well-organized and motivated minority can beat the pants off a disorganized and unmotivated majority. This is how the right has been schooling the dems for ages. Surveys of average Americans show there's broad support for progressive ideals but republicans rule on messaging, controlling the conversation. There's also the reality that both parties draw their funding broadly from the same pool of donors so the republicans are paid to advance the ball down the field and the democrats are paid to be bad at defense.

I can't find a link to the exact quote but Lenin said he only needed about 17% of the population to go along with his agenda to take control of the country. It would have to be a strategic 17%, I'm sure, but there you are. Hitler got 36% of the vote in 1932. He was helped in that the two mainstream parties were discredited, the alt parties (nazis and commies) were getting over 50% of the vote and the reds refused to work with the left mainstream party.

We're living in interesting times and I mean that in the sense of the chinese curse.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Hm, I wonder what a man-less cut would be like...

Rey would just go places for... like, no reason. She'd just shoot the hut to mess with the caretakers, go to the cave, pick up the Jedi Texts (and then the tree would just burst into flames), and leave.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Q99 wrote: 2018-01-26 05:39pm Hm, I wonder what a man-less cut would be like...

Rey would just go places for... like, no reason.
Yeah. Cut out half the human race, and you get an incoherent half of a movie. Go figure. :)
She'd just shoot the hut to mess with the caretakers,
"Powerful troll is she, hmm. Powerful troll."
go to the cave, pick up the Jedi Texts (and then the tree would just burst into flames), and leave.
Obviously, it would burst into flame from proximity to her shear awesome Mary-Sueness. :wink:
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Flipside, the fleet stuff would still... kinda work? Like, you'd lose Poe's rebellion, but it's just a much quicker, "they get attacked, Leia's wounded, Holdo takes over, then rams a ship," thing. It wouldn't be a great story but it'd be a coherent chain of events.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

How would you explain Leia getting injured if you cut Kylo Ren from the film?

Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-01-31 09:01pm How would you explain Leia getting injured if you cut Kylo Ren from the film?
Kylo didn't fire the missiles that struck the bridge, his wingman did.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

And we still have the bomber run (Rose's sister), and the mission to the Supremacy via Canto Bight (Rose).

New idea: Droids-only cut of SW. No organics except in scenes that focus on droids!
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Sidewinder wrote: 2018-02-01 01:18am
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-01-31 09:01pm How would you explain Leia getting injured if you cut Kylo Ren from the film?
Kylo didn't fire the missiles that struck the bridge, his wingman did.
True, but I feel like the scene would be rather awkwardly edited if you cut Kylo from it.