MORE Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Re: MORE Conversations From the Professional Front Lines

Post by Raw Shark »

DAY LABOR LADY: So, we've got a construction gig for you tomorrow morning. 5am sharp, at the new condos on Wazee in LoDo where that parking garage used to be.

YOUR DRIVER: Do I need to bring any specific gear?

DAY LABOR LADY: You'll need work gloves, and steel-toed work boots, broken in enough to stand and walk around all day. We can lend you a vest and a hardhat if you leave a deposit.

YOUR DRIVER: Shit. My work boots are not steel-toed, and are getting too worn out for outdoors in January.

DAY LABOR LADY: That's too bad. The pay is $12/hour instead of the usual $10.

YOUR DRIVER: So what you're saying here is I'd have a roughly 50/50 chance of breaking my... Wait, what about combat boots?

DAY LABOR LADY: Are they black?

YOUR DRIVER: Yeah. WWII vintage, German infantry. Got 'em for a song at a surplus store when I was 18.

DAY LABOR LADY: See you at 5:00.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Raw Shark wrote: 2018-01-08 05:56pm DAY LABOR LADY: So, we've got a construction gig for you tomorrow morning. 5am sharp, at the new condos on Wazee in LoDo where that parking garage used to be.

YOUR DRIVER: Do I need to bring any specific gear?

DAY LABOR LADY: You'll need work gloves, and steel-toed work boots, broken in enough to stand and walk around all day. We can lend you a vest and a hardhat if you leave a deposit.

YOUR DRIVER: Shit. My work boots are not steel-toed, and are getting too worn out for outdoors in January.

DAY LABOR LADY: That's too bad. The pay is $12/hour instead of the usual $10.

YOUR DRIVER: So what you're saying here is I'd have a roughly 50/50 chance of breaking my... Wait, what about combat boots?

DAY LABOR LADY: Are they black?

YOUR DRIVER: Yeah. WWII vintage, German infantry. Got 'em for a song at a surplus store when I was 18.

DAY LABOR LADY: See you at 5:00.
I so want to nickname you Nazi Boots....
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Alyrium Denryle wrote: 2018-01-10 04:54amI so want to nickname you Nazi Boots....
Just for the record, fuck Nazis. Fuck 'em in the ear. But they made some decent-ass boots and I am not ashamed to admit that I own a pair. Neither I nor my boots hate the Jews (I asked one to marry me, and I cheerfully attempted to keep the yurmulke on at her brother's Bar-Mitzvah, for those who don't follow my awesome career, but those things just don't like my bald goy head), we just hate frostbite and getting our feet fucked up.

"Your feet will heal. The boots will not." --My Favorite Nazi Dude, out of all the possibly involuntary Nazi dudes.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

And also just for the record, her brother was born in the month that had the hardest Bar-Mitzvah, and he killed that shit. Smart kid.

I really can't keep a yurmalke on my head, though, no matter how much respect I want to show. I did catch one out of the air when it blew off a dude's head on a windy day once, like a pro yarmulke-catcher, and he sincerely thanked me.
Last edited by Raw Shark on 2018-01-10 06:17am, edited 1 time in total.

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

One question, though. How well are said boots going to stand up to you dropping something really fucking heavy on your foot?
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

Zaune wrote: 2018-01-10 06:16am One question, though. How well are said boots going to stand up to you dropping something really fucking heavy on your foot?
Depends on how it hits. Steel toes can protect you or pinch your toes off. It's an iffy proposition.

InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

I keep hearing it's what they are designed to do. Supposedly, it's so surgeons have clean cuts that are easy to reattach, unlike trying to rebuild crushed toes.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I'm pretty sure the "cut off your toes" thing was debunked by Mythbusters actually but have no practical experience to draw on.
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

I think they did as well. It's still a persistent myth.

You also have to be careful with steel caps as some are actually plastic caps now. But if they meet the same standards, I don't care.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

For most factory and outdoor jobs, reinforced toes work just as well as, and are more comfortable than, steel toes.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Raw Shark wrote: 2018-01-10 05:57am
Alyrium Denryle wrote: 2018-01-10 04:54amI so want to nickname you Nazi Boots....
Just for the record, fuck Nazis. Fuck 'em in the ear. But they made some decent-ass boots and I am not ashamed to admit that I own a pair. Neither I nor my boots hate the Jews (I asked one to marry me, and I cheerfully attempted to keep the yurmulke on at her brother's Bar-Mitzvah, for those who don't follow my awesome career, but those things just don't like my bald goy head), we just hate frostbite and getting our feet fucked up.

"Your feet will heal. The boots will not." --My Favorite Nazi Dude, out of all the possibly involuntary Nazi dudes.

I know, I'm just giving you shit :P
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-01-10 09:37am I'm pretty sure the "cut off your toes" thing was debunked by Mythbusters actually but have no practical experience to draw on.
considering the steel re-enforcements aren't sharp, not mention that IIRC they're kind of a cup around your toes not a band or a blade, so anything heavy enough to sever your toes by pressing the edge of the steel down on them would crush the toes into something that you couldn't reattach anyway. Bones or joints aren't that easy to cut thru after all.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Lord Revan wrote: 2018-01-10 02:16pm
Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-01-10 09:37am I'm pretty sure the "cut off your toes" thing was debunked by Mythbusters actually but have no practical experience to draw on.
considering the steel re-enforcements aren't sharp, not mention that IIRC they're kind of a cup around your toes not a band or a blade, so anything heavy enough to sever your toes by pressing the edge of the steel down on them would crush the toes into something that you couldn't reattach anyway. Bones or joints aren't that easy to cut thru after all.
Ghetto edit:Yeah Mythbusters did test it and it was busted
Wikipedia link to the episode summary
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

When I was in high school this was actually a topic of discussion with my drafting/machining instructor. According to him, some of the early steel boots had toe guards with convex top ends, so the tip would bend inward from large force. Now they are built with concave ends that go down to the sole past the toe along the walls of the boot, providing more support to the top of the guard.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Raw Shark wrote: 2018-01-10 05:57am

Also, since the war ended, I figure the most common way to still own Nazi boots is either "I killed a Nazi and took his boots" or "I got the boots from someone who killed a Nazi and took his boots."

Having Nazi army boots is no more evidence of being a Nazi than having a tigerskin rug is evidence of being a tiger. :D
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Co-op student orientation at my work

Me: Welcome to (insert company name here), your desk is right over here, the printer's right over there, yada-yada-yada, any questions?
Him: Not that I can think of right now, but if anything comes to mind I'll be sure to ask.
Me: Excellent. One last thing, if you're thirsty you can press this button on your desk and a robot will roll up with a glass of water.
Him: Cool!

10 minutes later...

Him: Excuse me, how long does it take for the robot to deliver the glass of water?
Me: Umm...oh dear...

Apparently, office robots are believable in 2018.
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

They're pretty good boots. I like they way they suit me, and (not to put too fine a point on it, when I'm feeling like that kid) the WWII Germans considered all of the possible applications besides how I look on the dance floor. Style and utility unite as one!

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

J wrote: 2018-01-12 10:55am Co-op student orientation at my work

Me: Welcome to (insert company name here), your desk is right over here, the printer's right over there, yada-yada-yada, any questions?
Him: Not that I can think of right now, but if anything comes to mind I'll be sure to ask.
Me: Excellent. One last thing, if you're thirsty you can press this button on your desk and a robot will roll up with a glass of water.

10 minutes later...

Him: Excuse me, how long does it take for the robot to deliver the glass of water?

Well, if someone actually wanted to do that, they could. I mean, you'd basically just need a glorified Vroomba or something, with a conveniently placed water spigot and robot arm to supply the glass.

It is totally believable, it's just not something you'd expect to see anyone bother with outside of Silicon Valley, where they'd be doing it to show off.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

J wrote: 2018-01-12 10:55am Co-op student orientation at my work

10 minutes later...

Never joke with the new hire. It will always come back to haunt you.

Same rule applies to management.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Raw Shark wrote: 2018-01-12 08:11pm They're pretty good boots. I like they way they suit me, and (not to put too fine a point on it, when I'm feeling like that kid) the WWII Germans considered all of the possible applications besides how I look on the dance floor. Style and utility unite as one!
Didn't Hugo Boss design those too?
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-01-13 12:23amDidn't Hugo Boss design those too?
I haven't looked into it, but I would not be surprised if they had a spot-on knock-off, given their general tendencies. Regardless, my boots are good, and anyone who disagrees is welcome to face-test them. I'm Raw Shark, and I'm open 24-7.

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-01-13 12:23am
Raw Shark wrote: 2018-01-12 08:11pm They're pretty good boots. I like they way they suit me, and (not to put too fine a point on it, when I'm feeling like that kid) the WWII Germans considered all of the possible applications besides how I look on the dance floor. Style and utility unite as one!
Didn't Hugo Boss design those too?
IIRC no, they were a minor company at the time, it was another german company (whose name escapes me atm) who designed the uniforms, Hugo Boss was just one of the many companies contracted to make the actual uniforms.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Oh, okay. Thanks.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Raw Shark wrote: 2018-01-13 08:50am
U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-01-13 12:23amDidn't Hugo Boss design those too?
I haven't looked into it, but I would not be surprised if they had a spot-on knock-off, given their general tendencies. Regardless, my boots are good, and anyone who disagrees is welcome to face-test them. I'm Raw Shark, and I'm open 24-7.
I prefer Tony Llamas myself, but if those boots work for you, then I have no issue wit that. Can't fault good footwear.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

CoWorker: "Ok, I got the pump. I got the e-line. I got the gloves."
Me: (from my office): "Who are you talking to?"
CW: "YOU!.... I got the labels. I got the CoC......"
Me: "You got the touch?"
CW: "The What?"
Me: "YOU GOT THE TOUCH?"
CW: "WTF are you.."