The One Common Captain

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Zor
Sith Acolyte

The One Common Captain

Post by Zor »

Always remember, in every established continuity of Star Trek there is One Commanding officer who exists in all of them and who's legacy stands uniform though all of them. Be it in the classical timeline, the alternate timeline or the Reimagined Era his legacy remains and endures.
Captain Johnathan Archer of the United Earth Starship Enterprise NX-01. Now let us all feed our Beagles cheese in praise of the founder of Starfleet and the Father of the Federation.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/ind
http://zortropolis.myminicity.com/tra
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: The One Common Captain

Post by Thanas »

Successful troll is successful.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

I'd much rather feed his damned dog chocolate.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-01-10 11:05am I'd much rather feed his damned dog chocolate.
Now, now, its not the dog's fault that its master is a sociopathic moron.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Correct. Let's not punish the do for the (many many) failings of its human.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-01-10 04:49pm
U.P. Cinnabar wrote: 2018-01-10 11:05am I'd much rather feed his damned dog chocolate.
Now, now, its not the dog's fault that its master is a sociopathic moron.
Point. Let's feed Archer Chocolate Ex-Lax instead. Instant lobotomy.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

So, as someone who isn't super familiar with "Enterprise" other than vaguely remembering the broader plot points, what did Archer do that makes him a sociopathic moron?
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

He let his ship's doctor (Phlox) withhold a cure for an entire species suffering a fatal degenerative disease because the Phlox thought that species was dying out "naturally" and it would let the less intelligent species which they had sincere good relations with rise up in their place, so they shouldn't interfere despite being able to cure them.

Phlox essentially took Darwinian selection as morality and Archer bought it, and then decided it was a good basis for the prime directive. The stupid "we can never interfere" version of the prime directive.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

Ziggy Stardust wrote: 2018-01-10 11:25pm So, as someone who isn't super familiar with "Enterprise" other than vaguely remembering the broader plot points, what did Archer do that makes him a sociopathic moron?
Just one episode where they fucked up what the PD meant (the writers). Left Archer and Phlox basically... wiping out a planet (or letting a planet be wiped out)...

But other than that, nothing really. He made a load of silly mistakes (hey, he's the first Starfleet captain out there on these missions) and his 'Speeches' were god-awful in comparison to Picard's... and he has a habit of losing fist fights in the first two seasons... but that's just his character... like Picard is a pompous ass hole, Janeway is moody and bi-polar and Sisko is a very angry man who lets it get the better of him sometimes.
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Well, there's the time the time when he gave away the existence and location of a secret Vulcan monitoring station to the Andorians, despite the Vulcans being Earth's closest allies. And just being a dick to Vulcans in general.

Or launching the Enterprise before it was ready because he wanted to show how big his dick was (though to be fair he did later admit that was a mistake. After his ship got its ass handed to it.)

However, nothing beats Archer's lunacy in "A Night in Sickbay". That episode needs to be seen to be believed.

Glad to know that the fate of the Earth and the entire Federation rested in such safe hands :P
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

One Captain to Rule them all.
One Captain to Find them.
One Captain to Bring them all.
And in the Darkness bind them.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Dude, ain't nobody gonna call him precious.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I find it amusing that people put so much shit on Enterprise, but none of the reboots managed to remove him from continuity. :P
You show 'em tough guy!
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Gandalf wrote: 2018-01-13 10:28am I find it amusing that people put so much shit on Enterprise, but none of the reboots managed to remove him from continuity. :P
It clearly is because the reboots are shit as well, so the shitty writers writing them have decided to keep shitty characters because they resemble their own creations.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Or you know, simply a respect for canon and a quirk of time periods chosen.

eta: You had it right in the first place, Thanas, 'successful troll is successful' spending any time on this thread on underlines that success.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

Tribble wrote: 2018-01-11 11:02pm Well, there's the time the time when he gave away the existence and location of a secret Vulcan monitoring station to the Andorians, despite the Vulcans being Earth's closest allies. And just being a dick to Vulcans in general.
The Vulcans broke the treaty. Yes Earth were their allies but they were also not exclusively their allies. Vulcan attempts to fuck over Andorians were similar to those of Earth. Vulcans needed a punch in the nose.
Or launching the Enterprise before it was ready because he wanted to show how big his dick was (though to be fair he did later admit that was a mistake. After his ship got its ass handed to it.)
This is not just an Archer thing, it's an Earth thing. Was United Earth ready? No. But that's the entire point. Even in TOS and TNG, humanity is "not ready" for this, time and again. Did Q's speech go un-noticed, in Q-Who?

However, nothing beats Archer's lunacy in "A Night in Sickbay". That episode needs to be seen to be believed.

Glad to know that the fate of the Earth and the entire Federation rested in such safe hands :P
I can't argue against that. But that's not his character, that's shitty writing. That wasn't Archer in and of himself. You can't take that episode and then expand that to all of Enterprise. It was one shitty episode with one misunderstanding (writers, producer, director?) on the PD.
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Like, I'm not an Enterprise fan, but it was closer to Trek feel than the reboot stuff, and it had it's share of good episodes.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Yeah, in retrospect... Enterprise wasn't -great- Trek, but it felt like it fit into the universe well enough in a way that the reboot films and Discovery just can't quite manage.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.