SNES Classic Edition Thread (No 56K)

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

JLTucker
BANNED

SNES Classic Edition Thread (No 56K)

Post by JLTucker »

I'm not sure how active this thread will be, but I'm going to gamble and make it anyway. I picked mine up about two hours ago and have given it a look.

Nintendo released the SNES Classic Edition today, 9/29. For $79.99 you get a miniature replica of the console with 21 games, an HDMI cable, two SNES controllers (they use the Wii cable end), and a USB cable for powering the console.

The major downside is that the provided HDMI and controller cables are not long enough. They're about 5' each. Best Buy has some extension cables for cheap that work with the NES Classic and will work with this. Also, if you do not have the Wii Classic controller, you cannot go back to the menu to change your game unless you get up and press the "Reset" button. This is utterly ridiculous. There's no button combination on the SNES controlelrs that will take you to the menu.

The game list is quality, IMO. I've played most but will be concentrating my time on Earthbound and Final Fantasy III.
The full list of games:

Contra 3: The Alien Wars
Donkey Kong Country
EarthBound
Final Fantasy 3
F-Zero
Kirby Super Star
Kirby's Dream Course
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Mega Man X
Secret of Mana
Star Fox
Star Fox 2
Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting
Super Castlevania 4
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Super Punch-Out!!
Yoshi's Island

Here are some rudimentary photos:

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Re: SNES Classic Edition Thread (No 56K)

Post by Gandalf »

Will they ever expand on that games list?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Gandalf wrote: 2017-09-29 02:10am Will they ever expand on that games list?
Nope. They're all built in. Hackers managed to dump the Star Fox 2 rom, so maybe they'll figure out a way to load more games on it. I'll be getting a RetroPi so I can play more games, like the Dragon Ball Z RPGs.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Yeah, for that price I'd want the complete canon of Nintendo SNES content.

Also Mortal Kombat.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

JLTucker wrote: 2017-09-29 02:19am
Nope. They're all built in. Hackers managed to dump the Star Fox 2 rom, so maybe they'll figure out a way to load more games on it. I'll be getting a RetroPi so I can play more games, like the Dragon Ball Z RPGs.
Why these inferior products exist when there are emulators out there, I'll never know. Is using a SNES controller that compelling?
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

houser2112 wrote: 2017-09-29 08:11am
JLTucker wrote: 2017-09-29 02:19am
Why these inferior products exist when there are emulators out there, I'll never know. Is using a SNES controller that compelling?
Do these emulators scale as well as this does? These look better than the emulators on the Wii and Wii U.
houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

JLTucker wrote: 2017-09-29 09:28am
houser2112 wrote: 2017-09-29 08:11am Why these inferior products exist when there are emulators out there, I'll never know. Is using a SNES controller that compelling?
Do these emulators scale as well as this does? These look better than the emulators on the Wii and Wii U.
I have no idea what the SNES emulators on Wii were like, I was talking about emulators on Windows like ZSNES or SNES9x. (I think I used one of those; it's been a long time since I was into retrogaming)
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

houser2112 wrote: 2017-09-29 09:59am
I have no idea what the SNES emulators on Wii were like, I was talking about emulators on Windows like ZSNES or SNES9x. (I think I used one of those; it's been a long time since I was into retrogaming)
I've used them too and they are not as good as what's on this retro console.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

JLTucker wrote: 2017-09-29 10:23am
houser2112 wrote: 2017-09-29 09:59am
I've used them too and they are not as good as what's on this retro console.
So you can play through Super Mario World and not hit slowdown when lots of stuff is happening?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

RogueIce wrote: 2017-09-29 11:55amSo you can play through Super Mario World and not hit slowdown when lots of stuff is happening?
As i said, I haven't played any of the games. My guess is that it's probably still there given none of these games have been changed in any way.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

JLTucker wrote: 2017-09-29 01:18pm
RogueIce wrote: 2017-09-29 11:55amSo you can play through Super Mario World and not hit slowdown when lots of stuff is happening?
As i said, I haven't played any of the games. My guess is that it's probably still there given none of these games have been changed in any way.
IIRC the SMW slowdown is only on emulation, not the original hardware. So I guess it'd depend on how Nintendo is handling the emulation on here.
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Even if the quality is somewhat better than the emulation provided by a PC emulator, it's really hard to justify $80 (likely more up here in Canada) for games I can play for free on my PC or on a RetroPie.
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Jub wrote: 2017-09-29 07:50pm Even if the quality is somewhat better than the emulation provided by a PC emulator, it's really hard to justify $80 (likely more up here in Canada) for games I can play for free on my PC or on a RetroPie.
How is the RetroPi’s scaling? I’m considering it in case I am too scared to hack my console.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

JLTucker wrote: 2017-09-29 09:14pmHow is the RetroPi’s scaling? I’m considering it in case I am too scared to hack my console.
I don't own one myself, but a friend bought one a while ago. To my eyes, it looks pretty good but I've never noticed any game breakers with SNES emulators on my normal PC so YMMV.

If you tell me what to look for I might be able to test it tomorrow and get back to you.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Odd that they stuck with the 3 label for FF6. I wonder if this is an old hat licensing issue. The Genesis was unable to run FF6, so the SNES would have been the only viable console for it to be developed for. Nintendo might straight up own the rights to distribute SNES Final Fantasy 3 for life or something.
houser2112 wrote: 2017-09-29 08:11amWhy these inferior products exist when there are emulators out there, I'll never know. Is using a SNES controller that compelling?
Because there's something to be said about Plug and Play. Also, nostalgia at having a box with physical similarity to something you owned as a kid that, due to HDMI and resolution scaling, can be used in the modern day with little difficulty.

I still have my N64 with a (albeit, much small) cadre of games, but most of them look like a mud pile on a large 1080p TV.
Gandalf wrote: 2017-09-29 02:38amAlso Mortal Kombat.
If ever there was a terrible port, especially when put along-side the Genesis port. Forget that the SNES could push better graphics, the control response for the SNES version was atrocious. Delays into at least the 100ms area made the game play like molasses.
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

I've spent a few hours playing it. The games I played still hold up, except for perhaps Mario Kart. Super Mario World and Street Fighter II Turbo are still a lot of fun to play.

Right now I've spent most time on Earthbound. Not a bad game, IMO.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

JLTucker wrote: 2017-09-30 10:45pmI've spent a few hours playing it. The games I played still hold up, except for perhaps Mario Kart. Super Mario World and Street Fighter II Turbo are still a lot of fun to play.
Star Fox doesn't hold up well either because Star Fox/Mario Kart 64 were basically just better versions of them. Whereas Mario World still stands as a really solid platformer. Mode 7, in general, also doesn't hold up well. Both, while great games, were also basically tech demos for the SuperFX chip.
Right now I've spent most time on Earthbound. Not a bad game, IMO.
High-Octane Nightmare Fuel. Love that game, but I find it hard to replay. Beat it once, never could bring myself to get into it again. It's so bad, I remember very little about it. Something about it always fucks me up. Likely has something to do with how light-hearted it is on the surface.

Bit of trivia: the game code is a total mess. Instead of having an interface that prints text and waits on a multiple-choice response, the thing is a jumbled mess of scripting. But it's also incredibly powerful if you were able to use it. A joke I heard before-hand (and is mentioned on that page) is that Earthbound could emulate itself in the same running instance.
houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

TheFeniX wrote: 2017-09-30 12:27pm
houser2112 wrote: 2017-09-29 08:11amWhy these inferior products exist when there are emulators out there, I'll never know. Is using a SNES controller that compelling?
Because there's something to be said about Plug and Play. Also, nostalgia at having a box with physical similarity to something you owned as a kid that, due to HDMI and resolution scaling, can be used in the modern day with little difficulty.
I could almost get on board with this product for those reasons if it had any expandibility, but my nostalgia is not strong enough to justify spending that much money on a fixed set of games.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

You could always get a Retron and some multicarts for that for roughly the same price. More systems and more games that way with all the plug and play you could ask for.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Yes, there's better options. That doesn't mean there isn't value in other products.

Otherwise consoles would have lost out to PC years ago.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

TheFeniX wrote: 2017-10-02 12:30pmOtherwise consoles would have lost out to PC years ago.
A lot of PC ports, even modern ones, not having native controller support is really fucking annoying, though.

I don't care what the M+KB purists say, controllers really are easier and more convenient to play with.

JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Jub wrote: 2017-10-02 10:36am
You could always get a Retron and some multicarts for that for roughly the same price. More systems and more games that way with all the plug and play you could ask for.
I’m telling you, none of these have better emulation and scaling.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

RogueIce wrote: 2017-10-02 01:10pmI don't care what the M+KB purists say, controllers really are easier and more convenient to play with.
You mean something that is flat-out worse, or more useful in other areas but worse in others, might have value?

Sorry, but I'm going to use you to take a jab at the idea that because something "better" exists it's difficult to understand why something "worse" exists as well, though I'm pretty sure you don't have a dog in that fight.

As for your post, I've had good luck with native controller support. In fact, many games ported to PC I've played tend to have better controller support than KB/M because that's what they want you to use.

Oddly enough, what should have been a textbook case of "terrible control porting" in Resident Evil 5 takes advantage of mouse acceleration and even gives the player a reticle when using the mouse. In fact, a complaint I heard about RE6 was that the KB/M could make the game trivial at times as it seems to be balanced around the speed of a controller.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

So, I met some guy in a parking lot and gave him $100 for one of these.

While not as bad as the NES: remember when games used to be hard? I'm not talking about Veteran Difficulty Grenade of Grenade: Grenade Grenade. I mean the game itself was challenging. Remember that? I kind of did, but now I am once again well aware.

Within 5 minutes, I had heard this:

so. many. times.

But MAAAAAAAAn, am I kicking ass on my way through Super Metroid. I really need to get another copy of Zero Mission for my DS. But for now I'll have to settle for arguably the best game in the series.
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

This is a great product for average people or young kids who don't know about Emulators and such. They have a SEGA one also, it's like 40-50 dollars. Really cool if you like Sonic and the SEGA library of games.

I'd like to get this just for StarFox and StarFox 2; it's been a while since I've used an SNES emulator, but last time I dabbled, there were proprietary issues with the FX chip games (I think there was an off-road racing game too), and it didn't work too well. Slowdown was an issue with some other games (Mega Man X), but most of them worked perfectly fine for me and my mediocre laptop.