First Order warship gigantification

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

First Order warship gigantification

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I presuppose that the gigantified Star Destroyers of the First Order is because, without the vast network of bases and expansive logistics chain of the Empire, First Order capships and super-capital ships have to be logistically self-contained, so combat performance wise it's possible that they're not as souped up as OT ISDs? At least, proportionately? They can't do Devastator (Vader's ISD)-style running down of enemy ships.

But maybe they don't need to? They don't have Empire-levels of territory to defend, we see that all they need to do is hyper in and wreck shit and hyper out (almost like the OT Rebels). And their TIEs are supposedly hyper-equipped.

Lacking the Empire's territory and supply chain (sure they have some worlds, they also had Starkiller Base and Snoke's super-duper-ship, but that's a pittance compared to the Empire's holdings), they had to be lean and mean, perhaps - and ironically - becoming doctrinally similar to the Rebels' hit and run style.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: First Order warship gigantification

Post by Lord Revan »

Well those big ships don't seem to be tactically or strategically nimble enough (granted I've not seen The Last Jedi yet). They seem more like "fear my massive ships!" like terror weapons they mobile logistic bases (after all logistics isn't something you can remove from the equation), also The First Order seems to lack any light strike craft between their troop transports and the Star Destroyers.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

This is canon, yes. The Mega class for instance, has according to the ICS, asteroid mining facilities, star-destroyer shipyards, and division and corps-scale mustering grounds and practice areas on board. Even a sportsball-arena sized auditorium. It's got a lot more volume devoted to non-naval tasks than a traditional starship.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

There's a TLJ ICS? Did Saxton write it?
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Jason Fry. Dr Saxton's not working with Lucasfilm any more.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Shroom Man 777 wrote: 2017-12-22 05:51pmLacking the Empire's territory and supply chain (sure they have some worlds, they also had Starkiller Base and Snoke's super-duper-ship, but that's a pittance compared to the Empire's holdings), they had to be lean and mean, perhaps - and ironically - becoming doctrinally similar to the Rebels' hit and run style.
With that in mind, I wonder how crippling it was to lose their superweapon, their command ship and their supreme leader within a timespan of mere days.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

They've got to be aching. Not everyone on the Sovereign died in a long shot, but a large chunk did and they certainly have to scuttle it. The crew of the Siege Dreadnaught is a total loss, though, as are the crews of a lot of Resurgent class Star Destroyers.

Interestingly, the visual dictionary says they had 'at least 30 Resurgent class Star Destroyers.' Which... really says as strong as their position is, I think they might've lost a fairly notable portion of their fleet strength due to Holdo and a bomber raid. Something like, what, 10-20%?
Shroom Man 777 wrote: 2017-12-22 05:51pm I presuppose that the gigantified Star Destroyers of the First Order is because, without the vast network of bases and expansive logistics chain of the Empire, First Order capships and super-capital ships have to be logistically self-contained, so combat performance wise it's possible that they're not as souped up as OT ISDs? At least, proportionately? They can't do Devastator (Vader's ISD)-style running down of enemy ships.

But maybe they don't need to? They don't have Empire-levels of territory to defend, we see that all they need to do is hyper in and wreck shit and hyper out (almost like the OT Rebels). And their TIEs are supposedly hyper-equipped.

Lacking the Empire's territory and supply chain (sure they have some worlds, they also had Starkiller Base and Snoke's super-duper-ship, but that's a pittance compared to the Empire's holdings), they had to be lean and mean, perhaps - and ironically - becoming doctrinally similar to the Rebels' hit and run style.
Hit and run but with an emphasis on larger ships....and they do take kids to conscript as Stormies. So some similarities, but major differences. Maybe being so ship-based is designed so they can abandoned territory if needed?

I'm going to also suggest that the emphasis on size was not entirely a strategic choice, but based a lot on psychology of their attempt to be "The Empire, but better." Ships that are individually larger as intimidation tools and to pack more roles into one frame. Local superiority to give the impression they can't be fought, like Finn was initially convinced of. This is not a fleet to control territory so much as to gain local advantage whereever it is.
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

NecronLord wrote: 2017-12-23 06:48pm Jason Fry. Dr Saxton's not working with Lucasfilm any more.

Does he mention the gigatons?
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Bob the Gunslinger wrote: 2017-12-23 11:12pm
NecronLord wrote: 2017-12-23 06:48pm Jason Fry. Dr Saxton's not working with Lucasfilm any more.

Does he mention the gigatons?
Pablo Hidalgo hates numbers in Star Wars. So i doubt so.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

NecronLord wrote: 2017-12-24 10:02am
Bob the Gunslinger wrote: 2017-12-23 11:12pm Does he mention the gigatons?
Quite the opposite. The Ninka, Admiral Holdo's cute little ship, has bombs of one hundred megatons as its bunker-busting armament. These are great big honkin' space bombs, and are a complete refutation of the AotC ICS' figures.
I'm more annoyed by the unnecessary reference to the Nebulon-B as an Imperial ship. Thus far, we have NEVER seen it in use by the Empire in any of the new canon or EU material. Not only that, but the Nebulon-C carries a whole wing of fighters? Where?!?
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Interesting tidbit- the Supremacy is the FO Headquarters and mobile shipyard. So it is a means of going, "The Republic is coming to attack our fleetbase, let's just run the whole thing away from them!".

That both tells us a lot about their approach, and just how big a loss that was- not just a big hammer and flagship, Holdo took out a chunk of their shipbuilding capacity too.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Realistically, for a bunker-buster that's still way more than you need. And the ship is a corvette. I don't think we can reasonably infer that 100MT is now the upper limit of Star Wars weaponry or anything.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
APlayerHater
Padawan Learner

Post by APlayerHater »

I attribute the gigantification of the ships to the "same but bigger" approach the new films have.

Bigger death star. Bigger force powers. Bigger capital ships. Meh.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

SAAA wrote: 2017-12-25 12:32pmIndeed, it's almost hilarious how that huge bomb is also much bigger than a real life Tsar bomb and they have supposedly the same yield... feel like they missed a few zeros there, because even if it was purely fusion such a device could easily sit in the tens of gigatons range.
I was bored and decided to do some quick and dirty scaling from the image.

You could fit 3.5 GT in B53 warheads in that bomb (scaling a size of 38m length by 8m diameter vs the B53's 3.76m L 1.3m D). The B53 has a yield of 9MT (just about what is necessary for surface detonations to collapse underground bunkers at significant depth), and that bomb is big enough to fit just under four hundred of them.

I know that sci fi authors have a rare and fleeting sense of scale, but usually they end up on the high end, amusing that this was the opposite.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Galvatron wrote: 2017-12-23 09:37pm
Shroom Man 777 wrote: 2017-12-22 05:51pmLacking the Empire's territory and supply chain (sure they have some worlds, they also had Starkiller Base and Snoke's super-duper-ship, but that's a pittance compared to the Empire's holdings), they had to be lean and mean, perhaps - and ironically - becoming doctrinally similar to the Rebels' hit and run style.
With that in mind, I wonder how crippling it was to lose their superweapon, their command ship and their supreme leader within a timespan of mere days.
At least they still have plenty of capital ships at at least one more dreadnought. In contrast, the tiny fleet that the rebels started with is completely whiped out.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

wautd wrote: 2017-12-26 08:13am
Galvatron wrote: 2017-12-23 09:37pm
At least they still have plenty of capital ships at at least one more dreadnought. In contrast, the tiny fleet that the rebels started with is completely whiped out.
The off-screen "allies" can give both the Resistance in-universe and the writers out-of-universe leeway. I'd like to imagine that without Starkiller base and the Supremacy, by the third movie we'll see the FO end up being ragged and eventually when the Resistance lasts long enough and the FO gets enough attrition, or if the Knights of Ren, Hux and Kylo have a power struggle, the FO's depletion will be enough so that the remaining Resistance-sympathizers will come in Riders of Rohan-style (with Poe or whoever having to do some diplomacy? Leia off-screen gathering aid?) for the climax, with all sorts of nostalgiabait oldie callback vessels emerging - Y-Wings, B-Wings, more Mon Cals, Hammerheads, even those Rebel Transports of dubious use, etc. - from hyperspace to batter the FO remains while our protags have their obligatory Big Damn Hero face off moments.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Shroom Man 777 wrote: 2017-12-26 08:33amLeia off-screen gathering aid?) for the climax, with all sorts of nostalgiabait oldie callback vessels emerging - Y-Wings, B-Wings, more Mon Cals, Hammerheads, even those Rebel Transports of dubious use, etc. - from hyperspace to batter the FO remains while our protags have their obligatory Big Damn Hero face off moments.
Makes sense. I like to imagine that's exactly what Mon Mothma was doing in the years between the end of ANH and ROTJ while Leia's forces were focused on launching military offensives against Imperial targets from their hidden base.
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

Wasn't Mon Mothma the one to propose a demilitarization by 90% in the Novel Aftermath?
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Yes, but what does that have to do with her activities during the war?
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

I've split the hijack regarding Dr Saxton's previous work, and given its nature, relocated it here.