RAR The Gate Opens in a Remote Area of Afghanistan

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

amigocabal
Jedi Knight

RAR The Gate Opens in a Remote Area of Afghanistan

Post by amigocabal »

Have any of you heard of the Gate series? In it, a Gate to another world opened in the Ginza district of Tokyo, Japan

Here is an RAR. what if the Gate opened in a remote area of Taliban-held territory in Afghanistan, perhaps a hundred or so klicks from Bagram Air Base? How would the various nations respond?
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Re: RAR The Gate Opens in a Remote Area of Afghanistan

Post by Broomstick »

I don't think it is the best approach, but...

.... I'd be really tempted to set up bleachers, sell tickets, and have a popcorn concession stand.

I mean, really, fantasy knights and orcs vs. the Taliban? It would give the Taliban & Co something to distract them from annoying the rest of the world, and if it looked like the fantasy dudes might make for a serious invasion we could always go back to supplying the religious nutjobs with weapons.

Of course we'd send envoys to the other side and explain sorry, but the Gate opened into a part of our world that's a backward cesspit, but the rest of us are quite civilized, can we talk over a cup of tea?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Let The Taliban absorb the attacks until they break, then bomb the crap out of the invaders until they get the idea that our world is dangerous.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I'm not familiar with the series in question, so...

Are we talking about a single hostile faction on the other side that will invade (In which case, yeah, let the Taliban soak them up, carpet-bomb them if they get close to shit we actually care about)? Or are there multiple factions, some of whom we could deal/trade with?

But honestly, the military strategy in a situation like this is far less interesting than the massive cultural and scientific/technological upheaval caused by finding unambiguous proof that MAGIC EXISTS.

In short, the indirect implications of the scenario are more interesting, and more profound, than the scenario itself.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-12-13 05:59pm Are we talking about a single hostile faction on the other side that will invade (In which case, yeah, let the Taliban soak them up, carpet-bomb them if they get close to shit we actually care about)? Or are there multiple factions, some of whom we could deal/trade with?
It's a quasi-feudal empire on the other side, so there are multiple factions but they act reasonably unified (the first big battle of the series the Emperor manages to get most of the armies of his client kings and vassals wiped out whilst preserving his own forces so they couldn't cause internal trouble).

The biggest difference in this scenario is that by opening in a remote area of Afghanistan instead of Shinjuku, the empire will basically find not a lot when they come through the gate, and they may lose interest entirely because they'll basically get access to a few hundred square miles of inhospitable desert mountains they can't easily move or supply armies through, which are full of well dug in militants with (to them) advanced weapons who are far better at ambushes than they can readily comprehend.

On the other hand, the gate itself is afaik just a hole in space, so in the middle of nowhere in the Afghan mountains it will be all but impossible to find from this side (they found it from the other side because it opened in one of their major holy sites, which also produced the major military response when the JSDF secured the far side).

Broomstick wrote: 2017-12-13 04:25pm Of course we'd send envoys to the other side and explain sorry, but the Gate opened into a part of our world that's a backward cesspit, but the rest of us are quite civilized, can we talk over a cup of tea?
The Empire isn't very civilised. Their first course of action on finding another world is to raid it for slaves.
Titan Uranus
Padawan Learner

Post by Titan Uranus »

Just like in the episodes of “Gate” that I watched before it became too “anime” for my tastes implied, I suspect that the main conflict will be about the great powers divvying up and exploiting the resources of a virgin world full of magic and savages.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Vendetta wrote: 2017-12-14 01:45pmThe Empire isn't very civilised. Their first course of action on finding another world is to raid it for slaves.
If they try that with our world they'll likely get curb-stomped if the Taliban doesn't toast them first. There's too much technology difference.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Post by amigocabal »

Broomstick wrote: 2017-12-15 01:14am
Vendetta wrote: 2017-12-14 01:45pmThe Empire isn't very civilised. Their first course of action on finding another world is to raid it for slaves.
If they try that with our world they'll likely get curb-stomped if the Taliban doesn't toast them first. There's too much technology difference.
The Taliban should be able to hold Alnus Hill.

Of course, actually taking the war to the Empire is another matter. The Taliban do not have the sheer numbers that the JSDF (let alone the U.S. military) has. They would have to make allies on the other side if they want to launch an offensive.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Broomstick wrote: 2017-12-15 01:14am
Yeah, that’s basically what happens in the series. The only major military engagement is “medieval army fails to understand why it is exploding now.”

A good amount of the conflict only occurs because the emperor has a stroke and his idiot son is being manipulated into fighting an unwinnable war by a salve our for revenge for the fate of her people and her personal mistreatment.