You've married your sibling, now what?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

muse
Jedi Council Member

Re: You've married your sibling, now what?

Post by muse »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-12-07 06:28pmYes, its a Game of Thrones reference. On the show, two of the main antagonists are Jaime and Cersei Lannister, a pair of incestuous twins who's affair (and succession issues involving their children) are the main impetuous behind about half of the warfare and death in the series.
Elheru Aran wrote: 2017-12-07 06:33pmIn addition to the Lannisters though Jaime and Cersei are probably the best known examples, the Targaryen dynasty is notorious for kings marrying sisters, Pharaonic style. This had obvious effects down the line; insanity was a common curse among the Targaryens. In this particular topic though, that's (hopefully) not an issue with modern contraception.
So...more or less...a bunch of siblings have incestuous relationships; a ton of war, death, drama, and suffering happens. And they made that into like the top rated TV series of the past 5 years?

Note. I do not have a TV, and am totally out of touch with modern culture.
ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Yep, sort of. And, by the way, it was a book series, first so you can get in touch with them that way, should you want.

Or just read the TVTropes about it instead of tackling thousand-page books (how many in the series, now?) which would be the fastest way to get culturally literate.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

muse wrote: 2017-12-13 01:10am
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-12-07 06:28pmYes, its a Game of Thrones reference. On the show, two of the main antagonists are Jaime and Cersei Lannister, a pair of incestuous twins who's affair (and succession issues involving their children) are the main impetuous behind about half of the warfare and death in the series.
Elheru Aran wrote: 2017-12-07 06:33pmIn addition to the Lannisters though Jaime and Cersei are probably the best known examples, the Targaryen dynasty is notorious for kings marrying sisters, Pharaonic style. This had obvious effects down the line; insanity was a common curse among the Targaryens. In this particular topic though, that's (hopefully) not an issue with modern contraception.
So...more or less...a bunch of siblings have incestuous relationships; a ton of war, death, drama, and suffering happens. And they made that into like the top rated TV series of the past 5 years?

Note. I do not have a TV, and am totally out of touch with modern culture.
Pretty much, yeah.

Though it probably helps that (sometimes gratuitous/shock value nature of the writing aside), it legitimately has the best visuals, one of the best scores, and some of the best performances I've ever seen on television.

So yeah, it sounds (and sometimes is) trashy, but as Grand Admiral Thrawn would say, "Its so artistically done." :wink:
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Simon_Jester wrote: 2017-12-10 10:06am I hesitate to ask, and fully understand if you decline to answer... but... how much of this did you learn prior to the breakup, versus during the breakup, versus after the breakup?

O_o
I learned 100% of that prior to the breakup, which happened for other reasons. It was a running joke for us both. We were teenagers.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-12-13 05:09pmPretty much, yeah.

Though it probably helps that (sometimes gratuitous/shock value nature of the writing aside), it legitimately has the best visuals, one of the best scores, and some of the best performances I've ever seen on television.

So yeah, it sounds (and sometimes is) trashy, but as Grand Admiral Thrawn would say, "Its so artistically done." :wink:
So...like a skin flick with a Hollywood budget? :P
ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

At times, yes, probably. :)
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.