Sorry deadpool Ryan Reynolds X Mens Wolverine Avengers unite Disney Fox close acquisition deal

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Sorry deadpool Ryan Reynolds X Mens Wolverine Avengers unite Disney Fox close acquisition deal

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Sources have confirmed that Disney and Fox Studios have closed the acquisition deal. This means X-Men's Wolverine, Deadpool and Marvel Studio's Avengers will come under one roof.
It is finally happening! Weeks after news broke out that Walt Disney Co. was in talks with Fox to acquire their entertainment segment, 20th Century Fox, it has been confirmed that the two studios have closed the deal and could likely make the acquisition announcement sometime next week.

According to a CNBC report, Disney and Fox have finalised Disney's purchase of numerous Fox assets, including 20th Century Fox movie studio. Which means Disney will officially own most of Marvel's cinematic characters namely the Avengers, X-Men and Deadpool, to name a few.

It was earlier reported that Disney was not the only studio Fox was in talks with regarding the acquisition. Bloomberg had recently reported that Fox was also in talks with Comcast, CNBC's parent company, but the studio was inclined to Disney.

"21st Century Fox Inc., the global film and TV company controlled by the Murdoch family, would prefer to sell some assets to Walt Disney Co. because it's a better strategic fit and presents fewer regulatory hurdles, people familiar with the matter said," Bloomberg reported
Link.

Thoughts?
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Sorry deadpool Ryan Reynolds X Mens Wolverine Avengers unite Disney Fox close acquisition deal

Post by Crazedwraith »

Wow, that title is nearly incomprehensible. Why sorry Deadpool? They'd be stupid to cancel the sequel at this stage.
Khaat
Jedi Master

Re: Sorry deadpool Ryan Reynolds X Mens Wolverine Avengers unite Disney Fox close acquisition deal

Post by Khaat »

"Sorry, Deadpool" because it strips out the option of further jokes like "Such a big house. Odd that I never see more than the two of you, almost like the studio couldn't afford more XMen...."

Plus column: Hugh Jackman's Wolverine to joint the Avengers?
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

If Disney has a problem with the content of Deadpool movies but still wants the megabucks...

It wouldn't be particularly an issue for them, as they have a few studios under their control that they can redirect it to. It won't have the Disney sign on front, but they'll still rake in the profit anyway.

As for whether the X-Men and such will join the Avengers: That depends on whether Disney decides to give Marvel Studios the rights, or stay the course and keep more or less what has been done with the X-men thus far. But I really can't see any reason why they wouldn't let Marvel Studios have a bash.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Jesus Christ, please fix this title - but yeah, I've been following this closely and I'm fucking fangasming right about now.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

It'll be hard to integrate X-Men with the MCU, especially since (on TV, at least), the Inhumans have basically filled that role. But I suppose they need new characters for when some of their current actors either die, or just decide their tired and want to move onto something else. Especially since they're finally coming up on Infinity War, some of the characters will probably die, and in any case, it'll sort of close out an era. It makes sense to diversify into new characters and stories.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Additionally, if the rumour mill is right, the upcoming X-Men: Dark Phoenix will pretty much close out the First Class era of X-Men and bring it to a conclusion like they tried to do with X-Men: Last Stand. With Logan winding up the Wolverine saga, it would be an appropriate way to clear the slate for Disney to undertake a hard reboot of the X-Men universe, particularly if they are trying to integrate it into the MCU. Inhumans was from what I understand a massive flop, so I wouldn't be surprised if they quietly let it fall by the side.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well, the Inhumans are also kind of integral to Agents of SHIELD. But the TV shows and movies often seem only loosely connected (if you'd only ever watched the films, you'd probably still be convinced that Agent Coulson is dead, for example).
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2017-12-07 06:35pm Additionally, if the rumour mill is right, the upcoming X-Men: Dark Phoenix
:shock:

This is really a thing? I thought it was only a fan-produced speculative trailer I stumbled across while browsing YouTube.

And now I'm caught between being convinced it'll be a spectacular mess, or hoping it'll be a really good movie version of the comic story.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Hugh Jackman is on record that Logan was his final outing as Wolverine ... but he dropped a line, probably in jest, that he'd come back if Wolverine was involved with the Avengers.

Might be hard to integrate the two, and how serious Jackman was remains to be seen (he is getting a bit old for the part. Not impossibly so, but soon he's going to be too old to be convincing or to keep up with the physical aspects of the role).

Yep, I'm having fangasms, too.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

I would say this is almost the perfect time for the deal to close.
With Infinity War going on (and presumably the second movie still available for extra shooting and editing), we have a reality warping villain who can easily merge the universes together, or create the environment needed for the mutants to start appearing side by side with Inhumans.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Iroscato wrote: 2017-12-07 06:13pm Jesus Christ, please fix this title - but yeah, I've been following this closely and I'm fucking fangasming right about now.
My bad, guess I shouldn't have copypasted from the original :P
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-12-07 06:30pm It'll be hard to integrate X-Men with the MCU, especially since (on TV, at least), the Inhumans have basically filled that role. But I suppose they need new characters for when some of their current actors either die, or just decide their tired and want to move onto something else. Especially since they're finally coming up on Infinity War, some of the characters will probably die, and in any case, it'll sort of close out an era. It makes sense to diversify into new characters and stories.
I don't think they could or should integrate the X-Men at this point. At least without using Infinity War as a giant reset button.

No, what they should do is have only Deadpool be aware that both 'verses exist and confuse everyone else by talking about things that haven't happened in their 'verse.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Actually, I was just thinking of Deadpool.

The Deadpool film, I felt, was trying to be an MCU X-Men film in all-but-name. They had a helicarrier wreck as the set-piece for the final battle, the bad guys IIRC were Hydra in all but name, and they avoided the well-known, well-established film X-men, while also having a lighter tone (although with dirtier humour than the MCU usually goes for, outside of maybe GotG).

So I'd be okay with a retcon that made most of the X-Men films a separate universe, but retconned Deadpool into the MCU.

Edit: The treatment Deadpool undergoes to gain superpowers also reminded me of a cruder version of the formula given to Cap, particularly in its effects. IIRC, the whole deal with Cap's formula was that it made you more of what you were- both physically and mentally/psychologically. Hence Cap., a decent guy who stood up for others, becoming a superhero, while Red Skull, a Nazi scientist, became an even bigger monster.

Same with Deadpool. He doesn't really change much over the course of the film, personality-wise. He just becomes more of what he was.

Its basically my "headcannon" that Deadpool takes place in the MCU, and the experiments on Deadpool and others were a crude attempt by Hydra to replicate the formula used on Cap.

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Even with just Deadpool you've got to retcon mutants and the X-men into the MCU.

I figure Deadpool should remain entirely separate, able to overlook and snark at everything else equally.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

It wasn't just the fomula but the method of enhancement that Cap had compared to the other two- as well as the serum there was the Stark-built "Vita-Ray Chamber", the result of which was enhancement without the horrible side effects. It seems the chamber is now forgotten tech, even though most likely it's located deep within a SHIELD facility.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Vendetta wrote: 2017-12-09 06:51am I don't think they could or should integrate the X-Men at this point. At least without using Infinity War as a giant reset button.

No, what they should do is have only Deadpool be aware that both 'verses exist and confuse everyone else by talking about things that haven't happened in their 'verse.
If they do reset cosmically, Deadpool would still know. Him, and Layla Miller, are the only ones who could know.

But they still have hurdles to cover, two big ones:

1) The X-Men films have basically played out most of the big villains, leaving only a few noteworthy ones left.
2) The "Classic" X-Men are sort of played out, with more interest being shown in different mutants than the, say, the O5. Hell, Laura has about as much pull as her dad does.

Brand Faith might be revitalized by this, but audiences for the mighty mutants are a bit tapped.

But if they plot it out like the Avengers were -- doing solo movies/odd focus and seeing what worked before moving on with sequels -- they might make it work.

That said, there's a help and a hindrance already in place:

The Help: The Registration Act -- That political point has cropped up a lot X-Lore.
The Hinderance: Ultron -- Kind of hard to work Sentinels in once Sokovia showed the dangers of A.I. Though having it be the "Sentinel Drone Program" and be remote drones rather than robots might work out a bit, or go the cyborg/bio-sentinel rout . . .

Still, hurdle.

It can work, but it will be a challenge. If there is a Phase 4 and 5 and beyond, they may not show up until 5 or 6.

That said, the big "Avengers" movie of that cycle might just be "Avengers vs. X-men" and wouldn't that be a kicker.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

I don't know about the Sentinels being a thing any more. During DoFP, they got hijacked by Magneto and basically ran amok all while being witnessed by the entire world's press. The backlash from that alone will have killed the Sentinel program stone dead.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Majin Gojira wrote: 2017-12-09 03:41pm
Vendetta wrote: 2017-12-09 06:51am I don't think they could or should integrate the X-Men at this point. At least without using Infinity War as a giant reset button.

If they do reset cosmically, Deadpool would still know. Him, and Layla Miller, are the only ones who could know.

But they still have hurdles to cover, two big ones:

1) The X-Men films have basically played out most of the big villains, leaving only a few noteworthy ones left.
2) The "Classic" X-Men are sort of played out, with more interest being shown in different mutants than the, say, the O5. Hell, Laura has about as much pull as her dad does.

Brand Faith might be revitalized by this, but audiences for the mighty mutants are a bit tapped.

But if they plot it out like the Avengers were -- doing solo movies/odd focus and seeing what worked before moving on with sequels -- they might make it work.

That said, there's a help and a hindrance already in place:

The Help: The Registration Act -- That political point has cropped up a lot X-Lore.
The Hinderance: Ultron -- Kind of hard to work Sentinels in once Sokovia showed the dangers of A.I. Though having it be the "Sentinel Drone Program" and be remote drones rather than robots might work out a bit, or go the cyborg/bio-sentinel rout . . .

Still, hurdle.

It can work, but it will be a challenge. If there is a Phase 4 and 5 and beyond, they may not show up until 5 or 6.

That said, the big "Avengers" movie of that cycle might just be "Avengers vs. X-men" and wouldn't that be a kicker.
Rather than keep all the existing X-continuity and try to work it into the MCU, it probably would be better to do a reboot of sorts (either a hard reboot) or a comics-style cosmic reboot courtesy of Thanos, as suggested earlier in this thread. That can get around stuff like Hugh Jackman getting old, too. And it means you can try new takes on villains.

The only film I'd definitely keep in is Deadpool, as I said.

How I'd try to fit it together... maybe something like this:

The X-gene is latent in a certain percentage of humans. Maybe its related to the Inhumans. Rather than occurring naturally, it can only be brought to the surface via experimentation/artificially (or only rarely emerges naturally, which is what gave someone the idea to try to do it artificially).

Hydra, unable to duplicate the Captain America formula, settled for triggering the X-gene (see Deadpool). So you have mutant muscle running around. Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver can be retconned as mutants pretty easily, going off of this. Magneto might have been a product of some of the very first Hydra experiments in WW2, and thus one of the oldest mutants.

Initially, mutants aren't regarded as much different from any of the other super-beings. Some hate them, some fear them, some see them as heroes, some see them as just people.

What makes mutants different from most of the MCU super humans is that they can reproduce- pass their mutations on to their off-spring. Thus fears about them eventually replacing humanity as a superior species emerge.

The Sokovia Accords bring the scope of the growing mutant population to light. This unintended effect of targeting a vulnerable minority population might cause Tony to have some second thoughts about his past actions.

Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-12-09 08:32pmRather than keep all the existing X-continuity and try to work it into the MCU, it probably would be better to do a reboot of sorts (either a hard reboot) or a comics-style cosmic reboot courtesy of Thanos, as suggested earlier in this thread. That can get around stuff like Hugh Jackman getting old, too. And it means you can try new takes on villains.
Sorry, that's not what I mean to imply. I was talking more in a metanarrative/audience standpoint for the X-Villains angle.
The X-gene is latent in a certain percentage of humans. Maybe its related to the Inhumans. Rather than occurring naturally, it can only be brought to the surface via experimentation/artificially (or only rarely emerges naturally, which is what gave someone the idea to try to do it artificially).
That's literally the meta-gene from DC.
The Sokovia Accords bring the scope of the growing mutant population to light. This unintended effect of targeting a vulnerable minority population might cause Tony to have some second thoughts about his past actions.
If he's still around after Infinity War . . .
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

If they want to link up the X-Men characters and the existing MCU continuity, they could just do some type of dimension-hopping thing dumping a bunch of X-men characters into the existing MCU version of Earth. They wouldn't even necessarily have to have a rising mutant population on MCU Earth besides that, unless they wanted to have them awaken later on.

I doubt they'll get rid of Deadpool, although he'll be silo-ed off in a side company of the Disney corporation that doesn't have the logo. They've done that before, with Disney-owned Miramax producing a bunch of R-rated films. There's too much money at stake to dump the character altogether.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
streetad
Padawan Learner

Post by streetad »

Beyond the current iterations of Wolverine, Professor X and Magneto, is there really much worth continuing from the existing X-Men franchise? I'm sure Marvel is probably more interested in getting the characters back than keeping the current continuity going.

There is a small possibility they might be able to do something actually interesting with the Fantastic Four at last.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Seems like the deal is done, and we'll be getting an official announcement Thursday.

*Grinds ominous organ*
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

streetad wrote: 2017-12-12 03:28pmThere is a small possibility they might be able to do something actually interesting with the Fantastic Four at last.
Let's hope so, the last one was an unmitigated clusterfuck.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2017-12-12 06:18pm
streetad wrote: 2017-12-12 03:28pmThere is a small possibility they might be able to do something actually interesting with the Fantastic Four at last.
Let's hope so, the last one was an unmitigated clusterfuck.
Unfortunately Fox doesn't actually have the rights to Fantastic Four, they just produced the last few movies. The F4 rights are a mess but seem to ultimately rest with a small company called Constantin Film. So unless Disney makes a separate deal I wouldn't expect them to get the F4.